• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
oZUrHkT.gif

One day you people will come around on Rise of the Immortals.

Arthea

I started to write lengthy detailed review and then I cought myself thinking that such a fun game requires fun and to the point review, so here is result of a lot of thinking
(not really)
and much less writing

Crystal Story II is a flash game that manages to be: Final Fantasy of old somehwat, funny, loot game, fishing game, match three game, tower defence game, kill them all game, too many bosses to count game, let's backtrack some game, skiing is hard game, playing cards till you are blue game, nothing is ever fair game, random drops laugh at you game, cute game, robots telling lame jokes game, stealing is hard game, hacking is piece of cake game, nobody ever dies but can be defeated game, special attacks are amazing game, nothing good is ever cheap game, post game is a game too, long game and that's not all!
In short it is a game, no doubts about it
10/will play Crystal Story III

the worst thing about CS2 are actually controls in some parts of a game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I already get a ton of unsolicited Steam friend requests on a daily basis
(pro tip: if you're a Gaffer and want to add me on Steam, send me a PM first especially if your Steam name doesn't match your GAF name)

But let's say I wanted to get the maximum number of "spam" invites. What would I have to do to make that happen?

(pro tip: if you're a Gaffer and want to add me on Steam, send me a PM first especially if your Steam name doesn't match your GAF name)

But let's say I wanted to get the maximum number of "spam" invites. What would I have to do to make that happen?
Go on twitter and say you're giving out a free code for a game.
I ask my twitter followers if they want any humble keys for games I already own and instead I get dozens of random people saying "gibe key plz"

tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard
Cards Alert
tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard

Now it's better redlacs ;)

Well, I suppose that's as good a reason as any to find out what I actually paid my money for to get.
If I remember correctly, Enclave is the first ever game to support 1080p as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Say on reddit that you are giving away free games or something.

I guess I should clarify: I'm hoping not to deceive anyone, simply draw the attention of the spam bots, not actual people.

Nzyme32

Grow Home has been updated with new content that extends the game and a whole bunch of bug fixes

Trailer of Update - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9c5XoeVpM

h2Cx85g.jpg

- Some rare flora and fauna has been recently detected on the alien planet.
- M.O.M has a new side quest for B.U.D to investigate these new additions.
- Success will unlock an advanced galactic gardening skin

madjoki

Offer something on TF2Outpost etc. trading sites.

But seriously it's getting pretty bad with multiple daily invites.

jshackles

Open a trade in a site like tf2outpost or steamtrades. That's guaranteed to get you spam bots, even if what you are trading is worthless.

Good call, will look into this.

*Checks Steam Friends.

Jshackles Online.

Oh cool! :)

Feel free to add me anyone who doesn't have me and doesn't mind mildly NSFW Skyrim screenshots from time to time:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/poolman

jshackles

But seriously it's getting pretty bad with multiple daily invites.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to fix. I'm planning on making an app that you'll be able to run that will sit in your system tray, and whenever a new invite comes in it will evaluate it based on certain criteria that you configure. If it fails against any of the criteria you set, it will automatically reject the invite.

So for example: you could tell the program that you want to block all invites from private profiles. You'll also be able to set things like the ability to block invites from users lower than a particular level, or that they need a certain threshold of friends or groups in common. There will also be a whitelist you can configure (if for example you're waiting for an invite from a particular user). You'll also be able to quickly and easily enable/disable the program in the event that you're waiting on a particular invite that you know won't pass the criteria but don't know the user's exact name.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The spam/malware bot problem is so easily solved:

1) Allow anyone to add level 0 users to their friends list
2) Only allow level 0 users to add other level 0 users.

This effectively creates a paywall for spam/malware bots. It does not affect legitimate users; if you join Steam because a friend invites you, they have to add you but otherwise no hurdle. If you join Steam with another friend who is also joining Steam, you're both level 0 and you can both add each other. No possible risk a legitimate user is hurt by this unless they want to add a random person who doesn't know who they are, in which case they are literally behaving identically to a spam-bot.

So then many spam bots will be deterred, but the remaining few will want to get to level 1 as cheaply as possible. With some bundles it is probably possible to get a Steam key for cheaper than the cheapest game for sale on Steam, which if you're a spammer you'd probably want to do because of the risk that you'll be tracked or blocked by your payment details on Steam, but there's an easy way for Valve to block that loophole:

3) Don't give any experience to level 0 users redeeming keys not bought on Steam.

Ta-da. You now have a system where spam bots can't add anyone unless they directly give Valve payment information AND pay at least a little bit to Valve.

Pupo

This effectively creates a paywall for spam/malware bots. It does not affect legitimate users; if you join Steam because a friend invites you, they have to add you but otherwise no hurdle. If you join Steam with another friend who is also joining Steam, you're both level 0 and you can both add each other. No possible risk a legitimate user is hurt by this unless they want to add a random person who doesn't know who they are, in which case they are literally behaving identically to a spam-bot.

So then many spam bots will be deterred, but the remaining few will want to get to level 1 as cheaply as possible. With some bundles it is probably possible to get a Steam key for cheaper than the cheapest game for sale on Steam, which if you're a spammer you'd probably want to do because of the risk that you'll be tracked or blocked by your payment details on Steam, but there's an easy way for Valve to block that loophole:

3) Don't give any experience to level 0 users redeeming keys not bought on Steam.

Ta-da. You now have a system where spam bots can't add anyone unless they directly give Valve payment information AND pay at least a little bit to Valve.

Yeah, that's make sense =d

jshackles

This effectively creates a paywall for spam/malware bots.

With some bundles it is probably possible to get a Steam key for cheaper than the cheapest game for sale on Steam, which if you're a spammer you'd probably want to do because of the risk that you'll be tracked or blocked by your payment details on Steam, but there's an easy way for Valve to block that loophole:

Ta-da. You now have a system where spam bots can't add anyone unless they directly give Valve payment information AND pay at least a little bit.

I agree that this could be easily solved. The sad part is that this has been going on for a while now and it's simply not been addressed (surprise, surprise). If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Valve most likely doesn't block these sorts of accounts because they fold into their "active accounts" numbers which strengthen their market position.

In addition, most of the bots have been created by means of a script - a lot of them will have a name like [unassigned] which is simply the result of a shortcoming in their sign up page form validation. Again - we've seen this behavior for the past few years and nothing has yet been done.

So because it's such a headache for a lot of users, and many of them are discouraged from using things like the Steam Marketplace because of it, I figured I could make a tool to try and help make people's lives a little less hectic. It sure would be easier though if I had the ability to fix the root problem instead, rather than just attempting to patch it.

madjoki

That's pretty much how it's supposed to be.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

There's a lot of easy/cheap gifts, like Dead Island Epidemic and Gun Monkeys (activating a key gives gift that can be used to activate another account, key itself doesn't make it non-limited).

It's just probably adding friend limit is broken or there's way around it.

Grief.exe

I agree that this could be easily solved. The sad part is that this has been going on for a while now and it's simply not been addressed (surprise, surprise). If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Valve most likely doesn't block these sorts of accounts because they fold into their "active accounts" numbers which strengthen their market position.

In addition, most of the bots have been created by means of a script - a lot of them will have a name like [unassigned] which is simply the result of a shortcoming in their sign up page form validation. Again - we've seen this behavior for the past few years and nothing has yet been done.

So because it's such a headache for a lot of users, and many of them are discouraged from using things like the Steam Marketplace because of it, I figured I could make a tool to try and help make people's lives a little less hectic. It sure would be easier though if I had the ability to fix the root problem instead, rather than just attempting to patch it.

Doesn't Valve count active accounts as those with a game attached to their library? Which would put them over level 0.

Well, we had a nice run, Steam. Time to start collecting PSN games.
Would have thought the price to be much higher since it's Australia.
Not a joke question but are you going to play it and for which games? Will you collect PS games or do you only collect Steam stuff?

PS: Go out your way and play Bloodborne ;_;
I haven't played my PC in two weeks, PS4 and 3DS have been getting all my love

Since I've been sick with the flu I just can't look at my PC to play >.<
Get well soon old man ;)
guys to be fair... it does look really good :/
come on

can we be SteamGAF/BestGAF/LoveGAF
Yup. Visually one of the most impressive games and gameplay-wise looks good as well.
I hit a slump where I don't feel like starting a new game just yet, but, at the same time, I'm looking for game that really requires me to invest into it. Reading forums, faqs, wikis, that kind of stuff.

It has me thinking of getting back into Dota casually, but it's been over a year since I've played, which is the equivalent of having never played at all. (If anyone's playing, are the in-game build guides relatively functional for jumping back in? I know they've never been perfectly ideal, but I'd like to be able to Random pick and go.)
Dark Souls helped me get out of a two year slump. Heartily recommend it especially since you are looking for a game to get invested in, learn about secrets and mechanics.

jshackles

Doesn't Valve count active accounts as those with a game attached to their library? Which would put them over level 0.

Valve hasn't ever really said what their criteria is for considering an account "active" when it's put out it's press releases.

Parsnip

I am ok with this id gladly give it anothr shot on pc/steam.

I'd be very happy about that. I enjoyed it on PS3 thoroughly.

All these scenes crack me up. I would buy this day one.

I'd buy it on PC, Catherine too.

Breasts don't work this way.
Source: my waifu

Holy shit hahaha

That scene looks incredible and I want to experience it myself
in 4K
Also I guess it's not a bad game either? I haven't played it but it's 70+ on metacritic.

I hit a slump where I don't feel like starting a new game just yet, but, at the same time, I'm looking for game that really requires me to invest into it. Reading forums, faqs, wikis, that kind of stuff.

It has me thinking of getting back into Dota casually, but it's been over a year since I've played, which is the equivalent of having never played at all. (If anyone's playing, are the in-game build guides relatively functional for jumping back in? I know they've never been perfectly ideal, but I'd like to be able to Random pick and go.)

I'm in the same boat. I played last year's year beast, then hiatus until a few games during TI4 last summer, and then now this year's year beast.

You are absolutely right. I can't play. Like at all. People are flaming me in-game, accusing me of buying my account because "someone so noob can't have that many games/wins/items"

I mean I was'nt that good to begin with, but I feel like a toddler thrown into the deep end again.

If you'd like fellow born-again noob to play with on EU west/SEA hit me up.

steamcommunity.com/id/restecpa/

Yes the in-game guides suffice, and the most popular ones even get updated with new patches.

I am really getting into Evolved.

I wasn't really sure I'd like it, but it is a ton of fun, especially as the monster.

Being the monster makes me too anxious. As soon as i'm found i panic and just spam whatever and die shortly thereafter. I guess i should play it more to get better but, meh, i've got backlogs to log.

rtcn63

Resonance of Fate has one of the most lengthy (and arguably obtuse) battle system tutorials I've seen in a JRPG. The combat is fun, but it's not the kind of game you can stop playing for a bit and resume later- you'll simply forget everything.

jshackles

They did last year at Dev Days.

'Active User' = own a product OR have been active in the community in the last 90 days.

Good to know!

The "or" here is a very important distinction that kind of validates my point. They're counting everyone that owns at least 1 game (regardless of when they last logged in) AND people that own no games but have logged in to their account at least once in the last 90 days.

So that means that these spam bots are being tallied in their "active user" counts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New GPU, more system memory, and a PS4! It sounds like you're living the high life. :p

Haha, knowing my luck there'll be a Rocksmith sale within the next few days and I'll be kicking myself. ;)

Yeah, I'd sell off those 670s as soon as possible. I waited a couple of months to get rid of my 7970 GE and its value dropped by ~$100 by the time I found a buyer. :/

Judging from recent eBay listings I should be able to sell them for about $170 each, but I might knock off a few bucks if somebody wants to buy both just in case I sell one and the other starts to gather dust.

Dedicated Bloodborne box?

One day, maybe. March will be all about AssCreed Rogue.

Would have thought the price to be much higher since it's Australia.

The RRP is $549, so, yeah, it was a good deal, but I'm fairly certain it's old (i.e. pre-TLoU inclusion) stock (not that it matters).

Not a joke question but are you going to play it and for which games?

I'll play exclusives as I have my PC for multiplats. The Last of Us is on my list and I'll probably pick up Killzone for something to smash through with mates overnight as well as Knack so my nephews have something to play for when they get sick of playing/watching somebody play Minecraft. Something one of my mates did semi-regularly when he didn't have a PS3 was split the cost of a new release he was interested in, so if The Order tickles his fancy and he's willing to go halvsies I'll pick that up, too. But mostly I jumped in early because A) The PS4 isn't going to get cheaper here any time soon and B) A console's earliest model is invariably the best one to have when it comes to taking advantage of homebrew and the like, which I enjoy fiddling around with.

Will you collect PS games or do you only collect Steam stuff?

I don't have the money to do both, but even if I did, I don't think I'd bother. Steam is enough.

Hey Jase ACU 1.05 Patch will be live tomorrow on PC and all Companion App/AC Initiates stuff will be unlocked.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1013223-Patch-5-Release-Notes

I forgot to send my assassins off to missions before leaving for work so this is great news, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom