• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resident Evil 5 had enough of the 4 DNA to make it enjoyable for me even though Sheva did everything in her power to simultaneously kill my love of gaming, friendship and women.

6 on the other hand has driven me down in the darkest recesses of my being. I have seen the blackest part of my soul, and in that pit there is nothing but a floating 6 covered in oozing, pulsating black. It mocks me and fills my heart with hate.

At one point, I gathered the courage to approach the 6, and as I limped, drawing closer to evil incarnate, a prompt reading "exit" flashed before my eyes. I felt the smallest quiver of joy somewhere where my heart used to be and as I reached out to touch my salvation, it turned into a radial dial, a thin white line slowly spinning along the edge.

Defeated but determined I spun the sticks, my controller creaking with the strain of pure will. But it wasn't enough. I can never catch that fucking line. It spins forever, and I will forever be trapped in the pit of loathing that is Resident Evil 6.

Leon.... help.

Seriously though, fuck that game.

Sounds a lot like traits/descriptions given from those goddamn books in the Darkest Dungeon.

SparkTR

Apparently there's a 1.6GB beta branch/update for Dynasty Warriors 8 in the steam registry, does anybody know what that is?

To be fair, Resident Evil 6 isn't a shitty game, it's just a shitty Resident Evil game. It's a fairly decent Call of Duty game if you do it right.

Khronico

To be fair, Resident Evil 6 isn't a shitty game, it's just a shitty Resident Evil game. It's a fairly decent Call of Duty game if you do it right.

Heck, I'll admit the storyline is super dumb and the level design ranges from mediocre to straight garbage, but my GOD that gameplay. It's right up there with Vanquish for me.

Tales of Zesty apparently coming to Steam.

Hopefully this heralds more than just one Tales game coming. I already own a ps3 but it would be nice to have a version with rock solid 60 and higher than 720p resolution.

Heck, I'll admit the storyline is super dumb and the level design ranges from mediocre to straight garbage, but my GOD that gameplay. It's right up there with Vanquish for me.

I ended up having to turn it down to amateur and just screw around the entire time, knifing everything in sight and unloading clips until things turned to ash. It wasn't anything to do with actual difficulty, it was literally just retooling my brain to think of it in terms of Call of Duty rather than Resident Evil. Once I did that, it became tolerable in short bursts.

Also, pretending I have a "Follow" app on my little cell phone thingy is funny to me. .

Annubis

And I'm the Queen of England.

ku-xlarge.jpg

(BTW, how was that Game of Thrones TT game?)

Teggy

I'm curious... Was it the part where you had to unlock a door after going up an elevator?

I feel like a lot of people had trouble with that one, even when it's so obvious in retrospect.

OK, wait, maybe I looked up two hints. Was that the bit where
you had to pick the neighbor's lock and go across the balcony?
I can't remember if I looked that up or got it by accident. I remember I even thought I had tried that already because it seemed like the logical thing to do.

The place I definitely looked up was where you had to
call the guy and offer him a job
. It seemed like you had to just guess the whole thing and I wasn't picking the right choices.

Teggy

Oh btw this RE5 talk is funny because I just finished it and the bonus chapters about 2 weeks ago on PS3 (from PS+).

The thing is that RE4 tries to straddle the line between old RE and an action game: it takes place in spooky environments, there is an open map with backtracking, and there are puzzles throughout. RE5 is pretty much an action game through and through: it takes place mostly outside during the day, it has chapters that are very linear, there's one puzzle in pretty much the entire game and it's very easy, and there's tons of ammo. The surprising thing is, despite all that, it's very fun to play. I definitely still think RE4 is a much better game, and I get why people are turned off by 5.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Take out those awful turret sections and every instance of QTE, and I would be just fine with Resident Evil 5 as just another action game.

As long as I only play the Mercenaries and multiplayer modes of Resident Evil 6, I can consider it a great game that deserves more love for those specific parts of it.

Teeth

RE5 has such an idiosyncratic play style that once you learn the way it wants to be played, and fall right in, I found it to be quite rewarding.

That is, when it wasn't devolving into "puzzle fights".

The strange character persistence, gun+melee interlocking combat style, and bizarre co-op partner management created a 3rd person action game unlike any other. I appreciated its brazen sense of self.

Still have no idea how to beat that turret boss on higher difficulties though.

OK, wait, maybe I looked up two hints. Was that the bit where
you had to pick the neighbor's lock and go across the balcony?
I can't remember if I looked that up or got it by accident. I remember I even thought I had tried that already because it seemed like the logical thing to do.

The place I definitely looked up was where you had to
call the guy and offer him a job
. It seemed like you had to just guess the whole thing and I wasn't picking the right choices.
Oh, no, not what I was expecting. Me and one other GAFfer that got stuck on
the part where you're being chased through a building. You go up an elevator and race to a locked door, where there's limited time (mere seconds) to figure out how to open it. The little lock thing beside it is hard to see, and we both ended up needing to look it up before we could get past it.

Gemini Rue is a great game, though I prefer the Blackwell trilogy to it as far as Wadjet Eye games go.
just realized that RE5 is actually better than 4 because Wesker is in it..

GG fanboys

Wesker is in RE4, so I don't know what you're going on about.

Resident Evil 1-3 (&CVX) are "horror" no real jump scares though, well not like in your face and it's only like 1 per game if that.

RE4-6 are Third Person Shooters basically. A bit different from the norm but that's what they fit into.

There has been no RPG oddly enough.
If you see any on sale I would recommend RE4 and REmake. Best of both worlds.

Buy Resident Evil HD asap.

Put them both on my wishlist for the next sale. Thanks!

I managed to skip the series as well. I might have played a demo of 5 on xbox for a few minutes.

I think I played one of the Silent Hill games as well, never could get into the console horror games.

I don't think I've played that one either! I've seen the movie though, that probably doesn't count.

not in the original GameCube version... only added as a scrap later for lesser consoles of the time

not a central figure like in RE5

Wakka wakka?

Wesker is in the Gamecube version of RE4.
In Mercenaries.
But - like the rest of the game - it's so fun that I don't feel it was any less than the whole.

Turfster

You're playing Thi4f, a game everyone knows that you hate.

You have weird priorities.
It's research.
The control system really is a case study in "never ever do this because jesus fuck this is horrible"
The sound people need a serious spanking, and the voice director... yeah.
Also OCD =p

Sch1sm

RE5 has such an idiosyncratic play style that once you learn the way it wants to be played, and fall right in, I found it to be quite rewarding.

That is, when it wasn't devolving into "puzzle fights".

The strange character persistence, gun+melee interlocking combat style, and bizarre co-op partner management created a 3rd person action game unlike any other. I appreciated its brazen sense of self.

Still have no idea how to beat that turret boss on higher difficulties though.

Use the turrets, well, get Sheva to do so. Shoot at the tentacles. Then the tongue. Get the first aid spray by the cabin, hope for the best, really. I had infinite ammo my second play through, so it was easier on higher difficulties, but fuck Irving. :c

Anybody playing Darkest Dungeon? It can be really annoying at times due to the manufactured difficulty but is damn satisfying when you succeed. A great Early Access game and fully worth it at $20

Eternia

So I thought I would play the one game I bought from the holiday auctions which was Light. Just prior to installing it, I decided to take a look at the reviews. General consensus says it's extremely short, as in 45 minutes short. Well I was thinking, it couldn't be that bad, could it?

Actually, they were telling the truth including getting 100% of the achievements which took an hour. But here's the kicker, I only received 1 of the 3 card drops from completing the game and the community forums claim it'll take several more hours for the rest of them to drop. No leaderboards from what I could tell, gameplay is very basic with only two enemies (one of which are cameras) and laughable "gripping" narrative.

Turfster

So I thought I would play the one game I bought from the holiday auctions which was Light. Just prior to installing it, I decided to take a look at the reviews. General consensus says it's extremely short, as in 45 minutes short. Well I was thinking, it couldn't be that bad, could it?

Actually, they were telling the truth including getting 100% of the achievements. But here's the kicker, I only received 1 of the 3 card drops from completing the game and the community forums claim it'll take several more hours for the rest of them to drop. No leaderboards from what I could tell, gameplay is very basic with only two enemies (one of which are cameras) and laughable "gripping" narrative.

Basically, this.
I was looking forward to Light for its stealth gaming, but what I got was pretty sad and laughable.

ku-xlarge.jpg

(BTW, how was that Game of Thrones TT game?)

Finished the first ep last night, not quite sure where I stand yet. Like the books, you play a cadre of characters each with a chapter/chapters of their story at a time. Some interesting, some not. It was cool to see characters like Tyrion, Cersei and Margaery, though she seems to suffer from a terrible case of triangle-head. Much more than Natalie Dormer irl.

Obvious spoilers

I hope the some of the good guys start to win at least a little. I understand the "your favourite character dies" mantra of the books/show, but jeez, it's already pretty grim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom