• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh wow that was indeed super short
* claire
* knock-knock
* lifeless planet
* the novelist
* stranded
* year walk
* dreaming sarah
* a bird story
* maybe giving shadow warrior a second chance
* world end economica

stranded is uhh, kinda weird. there's not much to it, you just walk around, look at pretty pixelart, get kind of annoyed at how you have to wait forever for the astronaut guy to walk to the end of the screen and you click on stuff and like 20 minutes later the game ends. the slow walking is intended to get you to gather your thoughts as you progress, but there's not really all that much to think about, at least not enough to offset the annoyance of how slow it is to get from one place to another. i don't mind the short length, it's just a little story vignette that's successful at telling its tiny tale, and it does so fairly well, but it's also not something i can say will stay on my mind too long, despite its evident bigger ambitions.

i saw the guys behind this game are working on a blade runner esque adventure game that's a bit more involved, so looking forward to that

onto the next one, then

edit: also it's hilarious that it seems like everyone on steam bought the game thinking it was some sort of desert island survival game based off some ue3 mod project or something? how did these people manage to buy this game without seeing one freaking screenshot lol

World end economica sounds more like an article about Venezuela.
i literally bought it because of its name

also it has like anime in it i think

Don't play Knock-Knock. It seems interesting at first, but gets super bland and boring within minutes.
as a fervent adorer of anything and everything ice-pick lodge, and as a backer of both their kickstarters, i will play knock-knock and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

but seriously, i like the ideas behind the game, so i want to try it out for myself, like usual

Sölf

Can't wait for Homeworld Remastered to come out. I need to prepare myself for a weekend without leaving my computer. I better move my toaster and food right next to it.

Homeworld. :A

Maybe I manage to actually finish one of the campaigns this time.

Monooboe

growhome_done_by_monooboe-d8irnfs.jpg

Completely done with game.:( Really wish there were more to do. Steamworkshop for this game would be so awesome.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
CK2 wiki.

At the end it depends on what to do you want to do. Play as Muslim? Rule a Republic? Be cool and become a Viking?... If you don't, just ignore the related DLCs.

On the extra mechanics the DLCs unlock for you, Legacy of Rome is probably the closer to a "must have", as retinues are a big deal. Well, and Charlemagne. Decisions can be huge.

Ignore graphic and music DLCs. Also, Ruler Designer can be hilarious.

I actually have Ruler Designer, but haven't fiddled with it. I think I should.

I don't have Rome, Viking and Charlie. So you said Rome and Charlie have new interworkings in intrigue?

didn't know about this

sad, cos i always felt he was a sensible person capable of good critical thinking

i still think he's a good personality for pc gaming to have and i can't imagine him being one of those gg supporters

Let's just say I think GG is very extremist.

Buuut... And I'll just leave it at that.

dex3108

I didn't like yesterday results so i tried again and now results are a bit better :D

And i freshened up my backup mouse old A4Tech X7

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh no this is worse, much worse.
So you're in a big room with a few small pillars that provide shadow, for what that's worth. The boss has the equivalent of a fucking NUCLEAR BOMB that INSTAKILLS YOU if you're not completely in shadow.
Did I mention there's like 50 clones of her floating around that if they see you (remember, almost zero cover), she teleports to where you are and goes nova?
Oh, and you need to grab 3 different things spread around the room on multiple levels.
Remember, the fucking controls are janky and broken, so the traversal doesn't alway work as it should.
And of course there's no saving.
Hell, the autosave at the beginning of the encounter resets you to a position that gives you HALF A FUCKING SECOND to get to safety before she goes boom.
I found the other boss before that one a lot more frustrating with all the modifiers + hard difficulty. The final boss took me a fraction of the retries. Both were complete ass though.

Monooboe

What is the first game you guys bought on Steam? I realized that my first was Orange Box.o_O I had a few retail games activated on Steam before of course but I was still surprised that the first game I actually bought on Steam Store was so "new".

Chariot

I actually have Ruler Designer, but haven't fiddled with it. I think I should.

I don't have Rome, Viking and Charlie. So you said Rome and Charlie have new interworkings in intrigue?
I think you get those anyways. Paradox patch core featurea and overhauls for free. But I think every major content dlc is worth it, except Jeruslame because that somehow is major offender for bugs.

What is the first game you guys bought on Steam? I realized that my first was Orange Box.o_O I had a few retail games activated on Steam before of course but I was still surprised that the first game I actually bought on Steam Store was so "new".
Team Fortress 2.
One month before it went f2p ://

zkylon

zkylewd
Let's just say I think GG is very extremist.

Buuut... And I'll just leave it at that.
uhhh what?

orange box too, followed by l4d, both imported by my uncle who goes to the states fairly frequently

i think it was also one of my first forays into the non-piracy world. i know the first game i legally bought was fallout 1, but ended up returning it cos it was in spanish :p

I'm sorry everyone...There's been another death in the XCOM squad..
Maniac encountered a Thin Man and it poisoned him, that itself was no problem for Maniac, but in that same mission the XCOM squad encountered an alien we hadn't seen before, a Muton.
An incredibly powerful alien that they use for front line combat, the Muton managed to deal severe damage to Maniac and the poison in addition to the damage, it was too much for Maniac...

However, in his dying breath, Maniac rushed to the Muton and stunned it, allowing the rest of the squad to bring it back for our research team to interrogate, the Muton knew just about everything about the alien weaponry allowing the research team to come up with new weapons that will no doubt save many lives in the future.

Your sacrifice will not be forgotten Maniac.

I blame myself.

If only I had made that shot...

It seems the loss of Milamber and Maniac has motivated you and the rest of the squad to perform your best.

The latest objective was to assault the alien central base, and we did just that.
There were at least 3 Mutons, 6 Chryssalids, and more thin-men and aliens than I can even remember, and in addition to that an Alien Commander was found, with the ability to mind control members of the XCOM squad, Jawmuncher was aggressive in the approach to the alien commander and if Cpl.Titch and Cpt. Deques hadn't been quick on the draw, it looked like Jawmuncher would've killed Cpt. Dragon!

But in the end, the assault was a massive success with zero casualties! Zkylon and Jawmuncher were a very useful tag-team, Jawmuncher would rush in with a shotgun to greet the aliens and Zkylon would put a bullet right between their eyes.

It's not the end of the war with the aliens, but the XCOM squad has dealt them a massive blow, so much so worldwide panic was reduced by 2 and the council said it was well beyond their expectations.

The aliens can't possibly be ready for an attack on anything after a blow like that, so it looks like we can rest for a few days, and it looks like a lot of you need it with the wounds you're carrying around.

Counter Strike Source
I don't even like counter strike that much, I don't know why I purchased it, haha.

dex3108

Frontlines Fuel of War (please don't judge me i was young XD)

Benedict

oh wow that was indeed super short
* claire
* knock-knock
* lifeless planet
* the novelist
* stranded
* year walk
* dreaming sarah
* a bird story
* maybe giving shadow warrior a second chance
* world end economica

stranded is uhh, kinda weird. there's not much to it, you just walk around, look at pretty pixelart, get kind of annoyed at how you have to wait forever for the astronaut guy to walk to the end of the screen and you click on stuff and like 20 minutes later the game ends. the slow walking is intended to get you to gather your thoughts as you progress, but there's not really all that much to think about, at least not enough to offset the annoyance of how slow it is to get from one place to another. i don't mind the short length, it's just a little story vignette that's successful at telling its tiny tale, and it does so fairly well, but it's also not something i can say will stay on my mind too long, despite its evident bigger ambitions.

i saw the guys behind this game are working on a blade runner esque adventure game that's a bit more involved, so looking forward to that

onto the next one, then

edit: also it's hilarious that it seems like everyone on steam bought the game thinking it was some sort of desert island survival game based off some ue3 mod project or something? how did these people manage to buy this game without seeing one freaking screenshot lol

i literally bought it because of its name

also it has like anime in it i think

as a fervent adorer of anything and everything ice-pick lodge, and as a backer of both their kickstarters, i will play knock-knock and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

but seriously, i like the ideas behind the game, so i want to try it out for myself, like usual

I started playing Stranded but got so annoyed with it, that I probably won't bother to finish it.
Find no reason to spend another minute with it.

Faabulous

So, I have been playing some BF4 on PC and gosh its a bloody mess. Not the game mind you, the game is fine and fixed, but the goddamn battlelog is so horrible, how does that thing come to pass? It's ugly, bloated, slow and doesn't tell you enough.

Then I tried the Free weekend of Advanced Warfare, and by god, that managed to be even worse. It doesn't tell you about one third of the stuff. It's slow as balls. No dedicated servers. Ages to find a bloody game (and that's on a free weekend).

What the fuck happened to PC FPS's man

madjoki

I think SteamDB did something behind the scenes that's causing its bot to erroneously list old apps as new. That they're all very recent uploads and listed as Free on Demand doesn't make any sense, especially Devil's Third with it now being a Nintendo game.

SteamDB added names for Free on Demand apps.

I'm thinking it's Steam bug because this:

https://steamdb.info/sub/61455/
https://steamdb.info/sub/61458/
https://steamdb.info/sub/61562/

SteamDB just uses custom client which request free licenses even without appinfo (ie. those marked private).

I didn't even go T.T

Looks like I'll go on the next mission though. Everyone's missing a limb or something

If I panic and stab someone in the back I am so so sorry
You were resting, you had saved a friend of the council from France while the rest were providing cover support against 6 or 7 thin men! In fact, I think you were bleeding out as the person got onto the ship, if you hadn't taken the fire, the member may have died and the mission would've been for nothing!

But yes, it looks like you're about rested up and ready to kill some alien scumbags!

zkylon

zkylewd
the novelist aka ringo starr is a sad dude is certainly interesting, although i don't care much for its murdered soul suspect esque "stealth"

and with "i don't care much for" i mean i absolutely hate it

xcom adventures
damn i'm a beast

Swatting and harassing are pretty extreme and certainly not what the average gamer does.
i'm just confused about the context of his post as i only said i thought i was surprised total biscuit was a gamergate apologist

and now kind of confused about yours

what the hell is going on -__-

I started playing Stranded but got so annoyed with it, that I probably won't bother to finish it.
Find no reason to spend another minute with it.
yeah, it's pretty annoying, but it's only like 15 minutes. wouldn't say it's absolutely worth the annoyance, but i liked it

_hekk05

Banned
You were resting, you had saved a friend of the council from France while the rest were providing cover support against 6 or 7 thin men! In fact, I think you were bleeding out as the person got onto the ship, if you hadn't taken the fire, the member may have died and the mission would've been for nothing!

But yes, it looks like you're about rested up and ready to kill some alien scumbags!

Those damn bureaucrats

Sölf

Are either of the $10 tier games on the new co-op HB must haves or anything? They don't look that interesting to me.

Hammerwatch and Forced are pretty good, but I am not sure if they (or at least Forced) is even beatable if you play alone.

Edit: Oh, 10$ tier. Yeah, Forced ist awesome.

Milamber

I'm sorry everyone...There's been another death in the XCOM squad..
Maniac encountered a Thin Man and it poisoned him, that itself was no problem for Maniac, but in that same mission the XCOM squad encountered an alien we hadn't seen before, a Muton.
An incredibly powerful alien that they use for front line combat, the Muton managed to deal severe damage to Maniac and the poison in addition to the damage, it was too much for Maniac...

However, in his dying breath, Maniac rushed to the Muton and stunned it, allowing the rest of the squad to bring it back for our research team to interrogate, the Muton knew just about everything about the alien weaponry allowing the research team to come up with new weapons that will no doubt save many lives in the future.

How many more deaths shall we be subjected against!?

Tizoc

I just remembered something; any game that GAF shits on tends to end up as among the top 10 GotY titles, so The Order 1886 is gonna be up there very likely lol.

titch

It seems the loss of Milamber and Maniac has motivated you and the rest of the squad to perform your best.

I will never forgot how with his last breath Maniac punched the sky a fighter till the end may his soul rest in peace.

The alien scum will pay you have my word on it.

Zeknurn

I just remembered something; any game that GAF shits on tends to end up as among the top 10 GotY titles, so The Order 1886 is gonna be up there very likely lol.

I'm pretty sure that the game has to review well for it to be considered for GOTY. See GTA IV.

Tizoc

I'm pretty sure that the game has to review well for it to be considered for GOTY. See GTA IV.

I seriously doubt that

PUH-LEES.
MGS4 made it to GAF's top 10 GotY list twice.
Tomb Raider 2013 made it to the top 10 in 2013 too, Dragon Age Inq. made it to the top 10 over Divinity OS.
In 2012, Mass Effect 3 was among the top 10 GotYs too.

The Order is likely guaranteed a spot in the top 10 this year as well.

PUH-LEES.
Tomb Raider 2013 made it to the top 10 in 2013 too, Dragon Age Inq. made it to the top 10 over Divinity OS.

Everyone will have forgotten about The Order by the end of the year. All of the other titles you listed were also mostly praised by critics.
It got pushed back another month.
I don't know if you're joking or not..

PUH-LEES.

You listed games that actually reviewed well.

The Order did not.

It got pushed back another month.

no shit? I thought that was a joke.

PUH-LEES.

It wont be in the top 10, especially in a year as crowded as this one.

I can't wait until a few months have passed and like with Ryse the noise will have calmed down and people will say "Wow, The Order sure was gorgeous and alright, hopefully a sequel builds on it" and move on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Red Faction 2 last night. It's a mediocre game, with nothing to make it stand out from other FPSs on the market. Have to admit though, taking advantage of Geo-mod (a system that allows for real-time, non-scripted environment destruction) is fun, but as in the first game, it's rather underused. The story was impossible for me to follow, as I could rarely make out what people were saying, and it lacks subtitles. Reading it on Wikipedia afterwards made me realize I didn't miss anything, it's simply not good.

Shooting mechanics were acceptable, though nothing to write home about. There's a nice selection of weapons, but several of them use the same ammo pool, which can be annoying if you're running low. Also, there are lots of respawning enemies at some points, and I hate that. In fact, that was what made me lower the difficulty from Hard to Normal a few levels in. There is virtually no downtime here, you're being attacked at all times. Sometimes you have a companion with you, but more often than not you're on your own.

Some levels do offer a bit of variety. There are turret sequences, submarine sections and even places where you pilot a mech, the latter of which is pretty cool (especially when combined with destructible environments). As for the levels themselves, most are really short, and while they may start from where the previous one left off, it's impossible to go back from inside the game as they aren't interconnected (though you can jump right into any unlocked level from the main menu). This is both a negative and positive thing, due to the way the game manages death. There are no checkpoints in the middle of levels, instead forcing you to start it from the beginning. The short length avoids it being a big punishment, but some parts can be frustrating due to the amount of enemies and the respawning properties of them, so you may end up replaying the easier early sections a lot without getting enough practice on the hard ones (not to mention the unskippable cutscenes in some levels; while being 10-30 seconds long, it still becomes annoying).

All in all, not a particularly bad game, but I think you won't miss anything by skipping it. I liked the first one a lot more. At least I can start Guerrilla now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom