• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
I've been thinking of using palemoon. Its compatible with most firefox extensions, and its faster

Too lazy to switch from chrome though

jediyoshi

From email

MAFyUpW.png

took me 17 hours to finish Rogue Legacy. Really, it's a hell of a game and i enjoyed that, with enough decent gold runs, anyone can finish it. I played a ton of Spelunky and i think i only got to the temple levels like twice so it's nice to play a similar game where i felt a sense of accomplish and i could make up for my meager skills.

You're my favourite commander.

I mean you're playing motherfucking whatsitcalled mode.

I love you.
Aw come on, just cuz I got you killed millions of kilometres away from any of your loved ones and didn't recover your body so your family will never be able to properly grieve?

Harsh, very harsh.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Hai guys, what is going on in this thread

Zeknurn

You should, um, give me the code you receive whenever.

Cause I really want in T_T... I fucking signed up back when it was (first) called Dirty Bomb, damnit! :p

If you signed up before they migrated to Steam you should have received a code. Contact SplashDamage and tell them what's up.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hai guys, what is going on in this thread

No long posts? You gave into the demands of ISIS. For shame.

Go read the Order 1886 review thread for laughs and context...Actually on second thought, don't.

I do miss your longs posts however.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
You're in time, things are about to get Steamy in here.
Aren't they always anyway? :p

No long posts? You gave into the demands of ISIS. For shame.

Go read the Order 1886 review thread for laughs and context...Actually on second thought, don't.

I do miss your longs posts however.
I'm working a lot quite far from homw, not enough time to read this thread :(

Hah, will do.
Are the reviews cinematic too?

And they'll come back, eventually... old habits die hard and all that

Maniac

Banned
If you signed up before they migrated to Steam you should have received a code. Contact SplashDamage and tell them what's up.

Really? I'll send an email or tweet their way I guess.
Aw come on, just cuz I got you killed millions of kilometres away from any of your loved ones and didn't recover your body so your family will never be able to properly grieve?

Harsh, very harsh.

I never said I didn't love you as a commander though! <3

I just prefer not being violently killed. :p
All ready to go with my code and...

This game is not available in your region.

Well fuck this game I'm waiting for Tree of Savior.
Give it 'ere you bastard! :D

More extras! I really have to stop buying bundles for 1 or 2 games. No need to thank me if you take these just pay it forward!

ModBot said:
Instructions for arts&crafts:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (arts&crafts, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Avoid Sensory Overload -- MB-F04ECA85ACD4984E - Taken by Kifimbo
Lexica -- MB-6B2D1858169E8688 - Taken by Kurt Russell
Dungeon of Elements -- MB-08F3D22E411F9101 - Taken by Loptous
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-39F8B0EF96004E3B - Taken by lindarasta
Drive to Hell -- MB-9461911BC9F38157 - Taken by NingenJanai
Puzzler World -- MB-2429E9A3E61BB5E6 - Taken by Boss Doggie
Millie -- MB-5DD9ACEBA1DB93FE - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Retro/Grade -- MB-4190980A9C67AB67 - Taken by Akuosa

Backlogger

So I noticed today that Keen Software House now has two games in Early Access. Space Engineers has been in Early Access since Oct. 2013. How does SteamGAF feel about that?

Part of me feels like they should finish their other game first.

On one hand, a developer could have a different set of employees for two different games in development but on the other hand, why not put those people to work finishing the current game? Especially in this case where the new game Medieval Engineers is a clear spin off of Space Engineers.

Thoughts?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working a lot quite far from homw, not enough time to read this thread :(

Hah, will do.
Are the reviews cinematic too?

And they'll come back, eventually... old habits die hard and all that

This is a good summary of the game and the review thread (the only difference is The Order is getting bad reviews from a lot of traditional sites..but still some nine out of tens.)

So I noticed today that Keen Software House now has two games in Early Access. Space Engineers has been in Early Access since Oct. 2013. How does SteamGAF feel about that?

On one hand, a developer could have a different set of employees for two different games in development but on the other hand, why not put those people to work finishing the current game? Especially in this case where the new game Medieval Engineers is a clear spin off of Space Engineers.

Thoughts?

Due to the popularity of their first game, it isn't beyond the pale to expect them to hire better modelers and at least one artist to work on the second game before they even release it on EA.

There is an inherent risk, clearly indicated on the store page, in paying money for early access titles. Steam also requires a minimum age to use their service, so everyone who chooses to take a personal risk on such a product has to accept responsibility for their actions if the journey and ultimate outcome are undesirable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there something I can use that will give me cloud saves for those games that don't support them? Eg syncing a game save with a dropbox folder or something?

Been playing some Visual Novels on a different PC to my normal one (tablet actually) and I just noticed they don't support cloud saves so I'm a bit stuck unless I manually copy things back and forth (don't even know where the saves are stored)

Maniac

Banned
Still didn't get one even though I have the beta on Nexon's client. Time to plead my case to Splash Damage, I suppose.

I signed up when the game was just announced. I've heard fuck-all from them.

Game is hard :'(

And I really quite like the look of Dirty Bomb. And it's already had a more successful run than Brink, lol

... I miss Brink. :x

MUnited83

For you.

Thoughts?
Space Engineers is already very playable, full of content and has regular updates being released. Most of their planned features are already in.

No, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with having other game in Early Access, especially when they are probably 2 different dev teams.

Spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

BET ON SOLDIER -- MB-B2182AC44D494D00 - Taken by freshVeggie
PIXEL PUZZLES: UNDEADZ -- MB-3D57A5D76F1D95AD - Taken by Lomax
NOT THE ROBOTS -- MB-8DDA29B29CD25C93 - Taken by chronomac
ENEMY MIND -- MB-98F37E39D46ECFB4 - Taken by nightstorm
PIXEL PUZZLES: JAPAN -- MB-A9AF14F6EF393A42 - Taken by sensoft04

Lomax

Thoughts?

I think people get too hung up on the idea of a game being "finished." Neither of these games is a single player epic with some clear cut end. Sandbox style games are ideal for long development processes with features added over time.

And in this particular situation, they've made it very clear a different team is working on Medieval Engineers. Plus, the idea you can just "add more people" and finish something faster is a huge misnomer. I think in this situation the development teams will almost certainly feed off of each other and improve the development of both games. Besides, would you rather they were just developing the second game and didn't tell you about it? Because that's the alternative.

And if it matters, I don't own either or really have any interest in either. Erm, apparently I own Space Engineers and I have no idea how. Nevermind, no I don't, forgot it was a free weekend. They really should change the interface for that.

jediyoshi

Dirty Bomb closed beta is live again, 1.6gb.

I think people get too hung up on the idea of a game being "finished." Neither of these games is a single player epic with some clear cut end. Sandbox style games are ideal for long development processes with features added over time.

I already don't remember how Minecraft went about it. Lucky they started out when labels weren't the giant asterisk that came up whenever anyone talks about games that are being worked on.

MUnited83

For you.

And in this particular situation, they've made it very clear a different team is working on Medieval Engineers. Plus, the idea you can just "add more people" and finish something faster is a huge misnomer. I think in this situation the development teams will almost certainly feed off of each other and improve the development of both games. Besides, would you rather they were just developing the second game and didn't tell you about it? Because that's the alternative.

And if it matters, I don't own either or really have any interest in either. Erm, apparently I own Space Engineers and I have no idea how.

Do you own Space Engineers or is it just the free weekend?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/65980/announcements/detail/136569154855511610

So Civ BE will connect to Sid Meir's Starships using an system called "My2K" which requires you create an account etc.

Seems like it's just an option to allow connectivity between the games-other 2K games like NBA and Evolve both have the option to tie into the web and mobile games through that as well.

It's not something overreaching like Uplay just yet. At least on the Firaxis games, the my2k service seems to fill a gap to connect the games that Steamworks doesn't really have a good solution for.

Kagemusha

http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/01/medieval-engineers_22.html?m=1

"We didn't want to keep creating space games only. Instead we wanted to have a game where you get to experience life and nature.

By creating a second engineering game, we are leveraging our existing technology and experience. "

Dev says it also helps them to create technologies and features that can be imported into either game.

Thoughts?

Lomax

I already don't remember how Minecraft went about it. Lucky they started out when labels weren't the giant asterisk that came up whenever anyone talks about games that are being worked on.

Minecraft is the model all these sandbox Early Access games follow. It was in "beta" for years, adding new features and gradually increasing the price.

I know there's lots of examples of Early Access going awry, but just like all internet hyperbole, the whole "all early access is bad" is just as ill informed as "all f2p is bad" or "all DLC/season passes are bad." And if there's one thing early access and kickstarter has shown us the past few years, it's that virtually all of the general gaming public, even the enthusiasts, really have no idea at all how game development actually works. Sadly it's also shown us that a lot of game developers don't seem to have any idea about how it works either.

madjoki

Seems like it's just an option to allow connectivity between the games-other 2K games like NBA and Evolve both have the option to tie into the web and mobile games through that as well.

It's not something overreaching like Uplay just yet. At least on the Firaxis games, the my2k service seems to fill a gap to connect the games that Steamworks doesn't really have a good solution for.

Easiest, transparent, solution would be use user id. It's secure too, so someone can't just edit and say they are someone else.

It's about getting contact information too.

jediyoshi

Minecraft is the model all these sandbox Early Access games follow. It was in "beta" for years, adding new features and gradually increasing the price.

I meant I don't remember how they labeled themselves at any point and when that finally turned into v1.0. At most I think I remember they added an ending but even then I would'nt be surprised if it was already 'properly' released at that point.

Tenrius

Whaaaa? I played for about half an hour and was very impressed. And no, not only by the visuals but the very interesting gameplay itself.

Well, I played for a whole hour. It wasn't the worst hour I've ever spent, of course, but the game really leaves a lot to be desired. My main issue was with the writing, it was just utterly bland and pretentious. The gameplay wasn't anything to write home about either &#8212; repetitive uninspired puzzles with some fairly monotonous walking to boot. The game look pretty though. When I say it sucks big time, I just mean I expected a lot better. Spoiled by the previous offerings in the genre, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom