• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

GFWL IS BACK THAT'S HOW

1041.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Same way keys for every other game on Steam are generated :p

No, that's factually not true. Steam devs can generate unlimited keys for their games---but games using external DRM attached to external keys need a supply of those keys and it is no longer possible to generate new GFWL keys as of last year.

Now, if they have a stockpile of enough to make it through the bundle, I guess that makes sense and is fair enough, but at some point someone will have the last key and then the game will no longer be available. I'm surprised they had the kind of key volume to be able to put it up through a two-week main Humble Bundle.

Doesn't steam have a stockpile? It's still sold on the main store. (I activated my HB copy and it gave me a key on the game page, though I haven't tried yet to see if it works in GWFL). And it's not like GFWL ever actually got killed, so what would stop companies from generating more keys as needed?

Well, the disappearance of previous GFWL games like Fable III for no reason suggests that key generation is no longer possible.

Accoun

We need some quotes.

[23:09] <steamgaf> Game has better gunplay than Gears, even if it only has 30mins of it
[23:23] <steamgaf> so much hate, it was a 1 second tutorial for the secondary fire of the gun
[23:28] <steamgaf> It wasn't a breach and clear, it's an active Skill, use L1 to activate

Also seemed to spoil something? At least said "SPOILER ALERT". Or was some joke?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
[23:09] <steamgaf> Game has better gunplay than Gears, even if it only has 30mins of it
[23:23] <steamgaf> so much hate, it was a 1 second tutorial for the secondary fire of the gun
[23:28] <steamgaf> It wasn't a breach and clear, it's an active Skill, use L1 to activate

Also seemed to spoil something? At least said "SPOILER ALERT". Or was some joke?

Well watching that stream makes me feel good in my decision not to buy it. Bloodborne will be pretty great next month!

Stream link please.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
White+Day+A+Labyrinth+Named+School.png

Topic about horror games that make you quit reminds me of dreaming of the day White Day: A Labyrinth Named School gets updated and comes out on steam.
It's never coming out on Steam, it's abandonware.

I know it can be obtained for free these days and modded to work on modern machines, but it's such a good horror game and I actually think it would do better now than when it was released 15 years ago.

Lomax

No, that's factually not true. Steam devs can generate unlimited keys for their games---but games using external DRM attached to external keys need a supply of those keys and it is no longer possible to generate new GFWL keys as of last year.

Now, if they have a stockpile of enough to make it through the bundle, I guess that makes sense and is fair enough, but at some point someone will have the last key and then the game will no longer be available. I'm surprised they had the kind of key volume to be able to put it up through a two-week main Humble Bundle.

Well, the disappearance of previous GFWL games like Fable III for no reason suggests that key generation is no longer possible.

Well, we've seen Steam run out of keys before, so we may see it here. But I'd think so long as GFWL still officially exists, Devs will be able to generate keys.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The Humble Bundle appears to be giving a key for this sub. It's basically the same as this package on Steam. So the GFWL keys for these purchases must have already been uploaded to Steam - probably ages ago.

Although with so many new activations, I'll be surprised if we don't see a similar scenario to what happened when Fable 3 went on sale right before it was removed (aka "no valid activation keys" error message, game won't start).

Well, we've seen Steam run out of keys before, so we may see it here. But I'd think so long as GFWL still officially exists, Devs will be able to generate keys.

I'm fairly certain Stump is correct and devs can't generate GFWL keys. Otherwise we would still have games like Fable 3 on Steam.

Interesting, you have to have a specific game ( a ninja one) for the homebrew to work.

Doesn't sound like many people will be able to use it then.

Chariot

Man, still a week until Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires.
I don't know why I am so hyped for this game, but I am sure my feelings will be hurt next week. I don't believe this last-gen port will make me happy.

months later. Dead Rising 3 still look and run like crap on my PC.
What, really? You have a 760, right? That should be enough imo.
Or do you mean at 60fps? I remember that even though it is easy to enable it, the game is not optimized well for it.

At what resolution and settings are you trying to play? While being open-world and having loads of characters on screen, geometry and textures are not that "high".

Jawmuncher

So that's what the voice says in the menu? I couldn't understand a word, lol

I do want to play them all, already started with RF1 two years ago and liked it very much. The Mars setting did that game a favor, making it stand out from other shooters, somethign that was lost in the sequel with the Earth setting.

If you want a frantic FPS then RF2 is OK, but I don't like dealing with respawning baddies. Can't really explain it, but to me it felt completely different from the previous game, like it didn't belong to the same franchise.
It definitley was a very different game. But as the series went. It did a lot like SR where each game was quite the departure. Biggest issue I feel is the original RF story was just not something you could really move forward with this the jumps the series did.
I saw a few pages back about Devil's Third Online being in the SteamDB but Devil's Third is supposed to be Wii U exclusive so what is this???!?

He told me let the children lose it, let the children use it, let all the children boogie

Itagaki betrayal!
It's a Bayonetta deal. The game itself might be WiiU exclusive. But a new game that's just MP could be on PC. Just like how Bayonetta 1 could come to PC even if 2 will forever be on Nintendo.
Kane and Lynch 1? It's GFWL. How are they generating the keys?
From my recollection a few original GFWL titles "shared" a bucket of keys. No joke. As in the game just needed a GFWL key to be activated none of the keys were game specific. So if you bought Kane and Lynch and wanted to use the GFWL code on a copy of RE5 you could with no trouble. It got fixed but I know Halo 2, RE5, and K&L at the least we're in the group and I believe we're never updated to be specific.
White+Day+A+Labyrinth+Named+School.png

Topic about horror games that make you quit reminds me of dreaming of the day White Day: A Labyrinth Named School gets updated and comes out on steam.
It's never coming out on Steam, it's abandonware.

I know it can be obtained for free these days and modded to work on modern machines, but it's such a good horror game and I actually think it would do better now than when it was released 15 years ago.
I got a hold of the game and it really does seem like something I would have thought someone would bother rereleasing right now. Would be a big hit with the YouTube horror crowd. Since it's actually quite spooky.
Bullshit, Witcher 2 is not four years old.

fuck
It's only 3 years old on 360, which is how I played it. Even though I own the PC version now.

Chariot

months later. Dead Rising 3 still look and run like crap on my PC.
I am wondering how it is that Microsoft exclusives are bad ports. I mean, they really should tell the studios to put effort in it to promote their OS. Most programs and games only working reasonable on Windows is about the only reason I'm not using Linux.

Accoun

I am wondering how it is that Microsoft exclusives are bad ports. I mean, they really should tell the studios to put effort in it to promote their OS.

Eh, I don't think MS had anything to do with the PC ports.
Or that they care much about it as a gaming platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom