• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Get outta here, Kane and Lynch and Kane and Lynch 2 are both great games. Great single player, great multiplayer.

I understand I am one of the 5 people in the world that think this.

I agree. I love K&L shame so few do....even though both games sold past 1 million from recollection. Might be mixing that up with something else. Regardless it's a shame we can't at least have a conclusion to their story.
I remember making this and being surprised the amount of people who wanted a third game was though for GAF.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=732163

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What should I get for #2,700?

h4LUe6I.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Get outta here, Kane and Lynch and Kane and Lynch 2 are both great games. Great single player, great multiplayer.

I understand I am one of the 5 people in the world that think this.

yeah, i can't really agree with that. i think the story is interesting and the characterization and the commitment to make you play as those characters is really good, and actually the how they develop the characters is pretty good.

it's a fascinating game but at the same time it's a third person shooter that's not very much enjoyable to play, and shooting is really all there is to it. there's no exploration or reading notes or listening to audiologs or finding clues or making moral choices or anything like that like in a game like spec ops the line, and while i do think kane and lynch is unpleasant and unrewarding by design, i'm just not completely sold on it, i don't think it fully commits and to me it walks back and forth between trying to turn potentially thrilling scenes on their head (so like you're sneaking in a bank, getting hostages, and then lynch goes nuts and murders everyone) and just failing at delivering action sequences (the few turret sequences and "boss fights"). killing someone in kane and lynch is probably one of the most detached killing experiences you can have in a videogame outside of arma 2, and it's supposed to be an explosive heist action game. but then it does try to make "high-octane action scenes" and it just falls flat and ends up feeling disjointed.

so yeah, know what you're getting into, it's definitely an ambitious game, but it's also a game that's conflicted between condemning murder and actually being part of a genre in which its main mechanic is murder, just like spec ops the line was. i just think it's way less successful at presenting that irony/contradiction

What should I get for #2,700?
huniepop

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
gah your favorite games bother me so much. >_< i know, i know. Opinions and shit but god damn.

I agree - I wish I could trade out XIII-2 for VI, but I'll have to wait til it hits Steam eventually.

I agree - I wish I could trade out XIII-2 for VI, but I'll have to wait til it hits Steam eventually.

13-2 isn't even my beef with it as i have no opinion towards it cause I never played it. my beef is with 13. I think you know that but didn't acknowledge it just to rile up my jimmies...

and it worked.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Gentlemen! -- MB-DDAB29A4E6160586 - Taken by WinterDemons
The Ship -- MB-148094FEEEEA8456 - Taken by Blu(e)
Blinding Dark -- MB-904C041FDD99EE86 - Taken by sensoft04
Gravity Badgers -- MB-A7F5605BBAE93FEF - Taken by ExoSoul
Syberia II -- MB-6CFCEC2E004BC228 - Taken by lindarasta
Syberia -- MB-F1A21B72732794DD - Taken by cardinalmind
Point Perfect -- MB-28412C713AF18FE3 - Taken by Kifimbo
Steel Storm -- MB-7D68DB24BCAA5D87 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Still Life -- MB-15D6EAAD17F02B2C - Taken by bkw
Cubot -- MB-8957E1770D597652 - Taken by Purkake4
Beyond Space -- MB-AAE12AE9C518E9F5 - Taken by Kuroyume

jshackles

Didn't even click and I knew it was DOA.

13-2 isn't even my beef with it as i have no opinion towards it cause I never played it. my beef is with 13. I think you know that but didn't acknowledge it just to rile up my jimmies...

13 was great - not the best Final Fantasy game, but one of the best jRPG games I've played in the last year. ;)

jshackles

Looks like DLGamer is getting removed from Enhanced Steam. They're not leaving a good enough impression for me to recommend them to 1.6 million people.

Nothing like trying to purchase something on a Friday night and not being able to because they're supposed to call you(?) with some sort of access code then never do...

EDIT: well, looks like it finally went through. Not a good impression though, but it looks like the code they sent worked.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm with you there, I liked both games, and I'd take a third.

I agree. I love K&L shame so few do....even though both games sold past 1 million from recollection. Might be mixing that up with something else. Regardless it's a shame we can't at least have a conclusion to their story.
I remember making this and being surprised the amount of people who wanted a third game was though for GAF.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=732163
There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

yeah, i can't really agree with that. i think the story is interesting and the characterization and the commitment to make you play as those characters is really good, and actually the how they develop the characters is pretty good.

it's a fascinating game but at the same time it's a third person shooter that's not very much enjoyable to play, and shooting is really all there is to it. there's no exploration or reading notes or listening to audiologs or finding clues or making moral choices or anything like that like in a game like spec ops the line, and while i do think kane and lynch is unpleasant and unrewarding by design, i'm just not completely sold on it, i don't think it fully commits and to me it walks back and forth between trying to turn potentially thrilling scenes on their head (so like you're sneaking in a bank, getting hostages, and then lynch goes nuts and murders everyone) and just failing at delivering action sequences (the few turret sequences and "boss fights"). killing someone in kane and lynch is probably one of the most detached killing experiences you can have in a videogame outside of arma 2, and it's supposed to be an explosive heist action game. but then it does try to make "high-octane action scenes" and it just falls flat and ends up feeling disjointed.

so yeah, know what you're getting into, it's definitely an ambitious game, but it's also a game that's conflicted between condemning murder and actually being part of a genre in which its main mechanic is murder, just like spec ops the line was. i just think it's way less successful at presenting that irony/contradiction
Well, I just have to disagree.While I agree that that the strongest point is the characterization and character development are the main draw of the series, the setpieces are quite great, worthy of some of the best heist movies. Cinematography is also quite good on both, and I think what they did with Dog Days worked very well with the setting. I do admit that the shooting and cover mechanics on Dead Men were a bit janky, but I think they fixed it pretty well on the sequel. It works great and it's smooth.

Multiplayer basically made Payday The Heist before Payday The Heist. I spent more than 60 hours on the multiplayer of the first one. It had a kind of emergent multiplayer gameplay that was not common at the time. Dog Days expanded on it and became even better.

Reading notes and listening to audio logs is lazy storytelling, imo. Well, most of the time anyways.They are very oddly placed on most games, without any kind of real logic or sense to it, they are just there to give some lazy exposition.
If there isn't a viable explanation for why you found the audiotape/note where you found and why someone would actually feel the need to record/write those specific statements, it really doesn't work. For me at least, anyways.

Yeah there not bad, I enjoyed them both, I wish the second ones multiplayer was more active.
It has been unactive as of late, but you should join this group.. They used to organize some games every now and then, and you can use the forum to find people to play with.

this is doing wonders for my self steem

now if you could only give me the pink jumpsuit i deserve
Oh man, if only I could!
The amount of customization in XCOM is pretty limited unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, since if it had customization options like The Sims or something I'm fairly certain my playtime would be about 50x what it is right now :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, I just have to disagree.While I agree that that the strongest point is the characterization and character development are the main draw of the series, the setpieces are quite great, worthy of some of the best heist movies. Cinematography is also quite good on both, and I think what they did with Dog Days worked very well with the setting. I do admit that the shooting and cover mechanics on Dead Men were a bit janky, but I think they fixed it pretty well on the sequel. It works great and it's smooth.

Multiplayer basically made Payday The Heist before Payday The Heist. I spent more than 60 hours on the multiplayer of the first one. It had a kind of emergent multiplayer gameplay that was not common at the time. Dog Days expanded on it and became even better.

Reading notes and listening to audio logs is lazy storytelling, imo. Well, most of the time anyways.They are very oddly placed on most games, without any kind of real logic or sense to it, they are just there to give some lazy exposition.
If there isn't a viable explanation for why you found the audiotape/note where you found and why someone would actually feel the need to record/write those specific statements, it really doesn't work. For me at least, anyways.
i guess we'll disagree on the set pieces. i played k&l1 again a couple weeks ago and it was pretty atrocious. the locations and the premise of those scenes were great, but the actual playing of them was far from it. it's clunky and stiff and there's not all that much to do anyways. the turret sequences were really awful (turret sequences always are), but also the entirety of cuba and just how every section of the game was so mindlessly played out by simply having you walk forward and shoot some stuff. i love call of duty campaigns, and it's not much different from those, except in call of duty shooting shit is fun and the scenes often make good on their premise (so like sniping evil russian weapon smuggler in chernobyl is actually super duper awesome, or shootouts in space or whatever).

the ideas are great (bank heists, prison busts, that hostage thing on that tokyo night club, all that shit is awesome), but since your options are shoot, command or cover and none of those actually feel good, i don't agree whatsoever that the game was a competent third person shooter. and i don't think it's much improved in the sequel, although i haven't played that since release, but that was my impression then. and again i think this is intended, as these are cold mostly-deranged murderers that take as little pleasure from killing as the player does. you give an order to your teammates and their answer is "fuck you", because kane and lynch is really not that much of a game as it is a "put yourself in a psycho's shoes" thing. the problem is that kane & lynch still keeps trying to play the part of a fun-ride action game, and when it doesn't have the mechanics to back it up, it ends up looking like just a really bad unexciting cover shooter, because that's all there is to it

and i'm not asking for the game to have audiologs or whatever, i'm just saying if your game's gonna be about shooting and it's gonna try not to be a fun game then maybe you shouldn't have so many scenes of "attempted fun shooting". have more kane and lynch talking, have lots of contextual prompts of you dragging hostages or doing other terrible stuff.

i'm gonna ignore the multiplayer part cos i don't play multiplayer. you might be right, i dunno/don't care tbh

edit: also i agree the visual style of 2 is nauseating in the bestest of ways. janky visuals to match the janky controls and the janky story. it just needed the correct janky scenario/encounter design. that's what i think. and i mean janky in the most complimentary of ways, actually.

Oh man, if only I could!
The amount of customization in XCOM is pretty limited unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, since if it had customization options like The Sims or something I'm fairly certain my playtime would be about 50x what it is right now :p
i thought there was a dlc that had that?

Rafy

x-posting from the PC thread.

So I am having issues with advanced warfare. I downloaded the MP due to the free weekend to try it out but I keep getting "Unable to connect to online services. Try again later." error when I click to play Online in the menu.

Anyone know why this is happening? I googled and found no real solution.

I still have not figured it out, anyone have the same issue?

_hekk05

Banned
Being human means having limits, I've learned something.
The more carefully you scheme, the more unexpected events come along.

As long as you are human... never get past those limits.

BUT I'M MOVING BEYOND HUMANITY!!!
AND I'LL USE THE BLOOD OF AN ALIEN COMMANDER TO DO SO.

Congratulations Zkylon and _hekk05, you're now psionic soldiers.

I never asked for this

I bought The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena through GOG since it's just $4.49. I never played either of the games before so I'm starting with the Escape From Butcher Bay campaign. I like it but I wish there were controller prompts. It was easy enough to go through and see what buttons were supposed to do what so it's just a minor annoyance. This was also my first purchase with GOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom