• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

I have a question about vsync that I can't find on google

I know vsync matches your frame rate to the the monitors refresh rate to eliminate screen tearing. However if you increase graphical options, (high shadows, 16x Antialiasing etc.) with vsync still match the refresh rate?

What I'm trying to say is will vsync hard lock your frame rate to the refresh rate regardless of graphical options you have enabled?

It will prevent you to display more than 60 fps, it will also make sure that displayed frame matchs the monitor vsync.

If you display a frame, then fails to compute the next frame in 1/60th of sec, then nothing will be displayed (stutter) and the system will wait 1/60th more and so on.

Chariot

lol, I just saw the blood pack dlc for Shogun 2. This looks ridiculous.

ss_a4e0b47e029d187ee30328618149ff5d4cc112ef.1920x1080.jpg

some stuff that i already had from the weekly animu bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-439C1F4E84696426 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Revolver 360 Re:Actor -- MB-0864FADEBDCC1DE0 - Taken by Kuroyume. 24 entrants total.

t1425233247z1.png

Zafir

I bought one from Amazon UK
#partoftheproblem

Well, I'm meaning now where stocks all gone apart from random drippings. You effectively have to sit watching stock pages all day to even have a slight hope at getting one.

Really poor show by Nintendo.

Sure, if you can find them to buy them. >.>

*grumbles about Shulk being as rare as hell in the UK*

Boy am I glad the old 3DS doesn't have Amiibo capability. I'd probably go nuts with those things. And yes, I know they're planning on making an adapter for the old one. I'm kinda worried.

In other news, turned on Steam just now and got myself a There Came an Echo booster pack! Neat! ...It's 3 Sylls. ...Neat. Sigh.

shockdude

I have a question about vsync that I can't find on google

I know vsync matches your frame rate to the the monitors refresh rate to eliminate screen tearing. However if you increase graphical options, (high shadows, 16x Antialiasing etc.) with vsync still match the refresh rate?

What I'm trying to say is will vsync hard lock your frame rate to the refresh rate regardless of graphical options you have enabled?
If your FPS would be above your refresh rate without VSync, it will equal your refresh rate with VSync. If your FPS would be below your refresh rate without VSync, it will be less than your refresh rate with VSync.
Be wary that in the latter case, the frame rate might lock to half your refresh rate, e.g. 30fps at 60Hz instead of 45fps.

Also be wary of the input lag that can result from using VSync. I made a thread to discuss VSync and input lag, and the thread has lists various VSync configurations and some possible input lag workarounds.
RadeonPro+"Lock framerate to refresh rate" is a magical input lag killer.

MUnited83

For you.
Social Justice Warriors steam keys available for Indie Gala Greenlight Bundle 4 available*

* Keys are available through Desura when the key from the bundle has been redeemed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So how many VR headsets is that? Oculus, Morpheus, Valve's, Samsung's, Hololens. It's going to be a fanboy war.

Parsnip

massive chalice is nice and all but to me it's a "x-com clone" in which you don't have soldiers to attach to, which is imo just a pretty poor idea overall.
Supposedly the bloodlines/houses should be the thing to get attached to, but I haven't played enough of it to know if that works as well as soldiers in xcom.

Speaking of xcom, I installed it again and plan to play the long war mod. Anyone got any tips?

Has anybody else noticed that, in Unity, the woman who cries about her stolen item (when the game generates a thief for you to catch) is voiced by the exact same person who did the lines for the female beggar in the original AssCreed?
Yup, it was pretty much the first thing I noticed.

Chariot

Deitus

Nice, got the NeoGAF emoticon when I crafted the badge for There Came an Echo.
:neogaf:

I also got a 50% off coupon for Cosmic DJ. Doesn't look interesting to me, does anyone else want it?

CEO Kaz Hirai @KazHiraiCEO · 3m 3 minutes ago

Valve to make a VR headset with HTC. HTC must clearly stand for “Half-life Three Confirmed”

:lol

Water

Yeah, I don't get it. It seems to be this foregone conclusion in the technology circuit that VR is the "next big thing" which is funny because if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that predicting the "next big thing" is basically impossible.
Predicting the next big thing far in advance is basically impossible. For VR, the fundamental value proposition is already good enough that just packaging the existing tech and software as customer products will get a lot of enthusiasts to buy in. There will at least be sustainable business around it, which means rapid iterative improvement. With that, mainstream adoption will inevitably come as well. I'm thinking somewhere between 2-4 years is a realistic timeframe.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-439C1F4E84696426 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Revolver 360 Re:Actor -- MB-0864FADEBDCC1DE0 - Taken by Kuroyume. 24 entrants total.

t1425233247z1.png

shockdude

Hypothetical question: Is it unethical to give away a game on ModBot and then try to re-win that same game on ModBot?

A few pages back I gave away Fairy Bloom Freesia, and for a moment I considered trying to re-win it, but then I remembered I also have a DRM-free copy of the game through Humble.
Also I probably wouldn't have gotten around to playing it anyways.

Maniac

Banned
So how many VR headsets is that? Oculus, Morpheus, Valve's, Samsung's, Hololens. It's going to be a fanboy war.

Hololens isn't VR, it's AR. Buuut Nvidia may just be making one too. And as long as the APIs are universally compatible (or there's a universal API) then it'll really depend on specs, weight and cost. We'll see what happens, but I'm intrigued. Regardless of what happens, we're sure to have a consumer version of VR this year, which is great news.
Can't wait to see VR just bomb.
I'm expecting a niche market at most.

That's... Surprisingly narrow-minded. Don't you want Dino Crisis VR!? :p

Really though, it'll be pretty darn big, but whether it'll be big within gaming remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom