• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Hololens isn't VR, it's AR. Buuut Nvidia may just be making one too. And as long as the APIs are universally compatible (or there's a universal API) then it'll really depend on specs, weight and cost. We'll see what happens, but I'm intrigued. Regardless of what happens, we're sure to have a consumer version of VR this year, which is great news.

That's... Surprisingly narrow-minded. Don't you want Dino Crisis VR!? :p

Really though, it'll be pretty darn big, but whether it'll be big within gaming remains to be seen.

If it's not sitting in my living room at this moment it's not big enough. I haven't seen anything all that attractive with it yet. I'm always pretty negative about upcoming technologies though.

Maniac

Banned
Sooooo... It seems Valve has nuked some bot accounts as far as I can tell. My block-list has shrunk by 40% since yesterday, despite blocking another 6 since I last checked.

Might just be a bug, ofcourse, but there's atleast 30-ish bots missing.

Maniac

Banned
If it's not sitting in my living room at this moment it's not big enough. I haven't seen anything all that attractive with it yet. I'm always pretty negative about upcoming technologies though.

So it seems! :p

I can imagine watching football in VR will be quite dope. Same with The Walking Dead or other shows that'll incorporate it. Virtual tourism has a lot of potential too. Seeing a museum that's thousands of miles away in VR would be ballin'.

There's so much potential in it, and luckily it's being tapped into. We'll see just how big it is within a year though.

Edit: THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE EDITED INTO MY OTHER POST GOSH DARN IT GAFERINO

Can't wait to see VR just bomb.
I'm expecting a niche market at most.
I'm usually like that with new technologies. I thought the whole 3D craze was stupid, motion controls were a fad, "onlive" streaming stuff was (and is) bullshit.

Yet I think VR will be huge, for gaming and otherwise.

Lomax

Predicting the next big thing far in advance is basically impossible. For VR, the fundamental value proposition is already good enough that just packaging the existing tech and software as customer products will get a lot of enthusiasts to buy in. There will at least be sustainable business around it, which means rapid iterative improvement. With that, mainstream adoption will inevitably come as well. I'm thinking somewhere between 2-4 years is a realistic timeframe.

And see, I just see zero indication that's the case. Tablets were "inevitable in 2-4 years" about 15 years ago, and it took another decade for them to actually take off. 3D TV was the "next big thing" and it fizzled into basically nothing. Hell, in the early 90s consumer VR was "just around the corner" then too and we all know how that went. It just seems exclusively like an enthusiast product, and that size of market certainly doesn't justify the level of development we're seeing.

Exactly. And at this point, essentially no one is going to replace their TV with one they strap to their head, I don't care how "immersive" it is.

baterism

Probably, but I think AR is more suitable for that (IMO).

Each school would want a "VR Lab" to catch up with newest technology. One set (hi-end PC, VR set, and caviar money) would cost $12,000, the lab need 30 units. The school then ask parents/gov money. There, one profitable endeavor for people in charge.

sprinkles

So, it is finally time

c8126e63a8.jpg

Momentary

Banned
Can't wait to see VR just bomb.
I'm expecting a niche market at most.

Other industries are going to pick this up and it's going to take off. I don't think companies are going to spend 2 Billion dollars on something they think will be a fad. Like stupid ass console motion bullshit and 3D TV.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
You know what, I think I remember reading about this a while back.

yeah ... and besides - Disney should REALLY make an animated movie based on those comic books ...

traditionally animated too, none of that 3D bullshit ....

it's a real fucking crime they haven't done that yet ... it's one of the best stories out there when it comes to Disney stuff

Race-ca-- Godammit!

;)

Lomax

Other industries are going to pick this up and it's going to take off. I don't think companies are going to spend 2 Billion dollars on something they think will be a fad. Like stupid ass console motion bullshit and 3D TV.

Funny thing is, VR would love to be as "unsuccessful" as console motion controls were. And the reality is, VR needs something like Kinect in order to really succeed, because without a new interface VR is just a fancy TV.

Jawmuncher

I dunno all that money for 3D theaters and now no one cares.

MattyG

Banned
I was going to get the Dark Souls 2 Collector's Edition for like $50 today, but I just watched an unboxing and realized that all of that stuff is going to end up sit on a shelf or in my closet probably.

Momentary

Banned
I dunno all that money for 3D theaters and now no one cares.

I don't hear people get excited about watching a movie in 3D. At least not in my circle. I only hear people complaining... Unless it's IMAX. But man watching a movie in VR... That's probably a decade away for it to be implemented in theaters. I would gladly pay extra for that. 3D movies don't impress me. That shit has been around for DECADES. It went from being niche to being something that forced down movie goers throats because they sold out of the non-3D tickets and that's all you got to choose from.

Milamber

yeah ... and besides - Disney should REALLY make an animated movie based on those comic books ...

traditionally animated too, none of that 3D bullshit ....

it's a real fucking crime they haven't done that yet ... it's one of the best stories out there when it comes to Disney stuff

Are you saying that it should go back to Japan to do the animation again? I kinda agree.

iosefe

i like there came an echo so far

my only issue is that the built in go command to replace Mark didn't work so i hat to type it into custom

also, i got lucky and got 3 unique cards, anyone want to trade some gunmonkey cards for a miranda and/or Farrick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom