• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Speaking of RE games, should I play as Sherry or Jake in RE6?

I say Jake for the first time you play it, but either is fine. Jake and Sherry have a few different segments from each other, I'd say Jake has a bit more to do, though Sherry has some good alternate moments to Jake's as well.

Jake also definitely has the better version of the final boss fight in his campaign.

Deques

The last time I checked that was true which was a while ago so I'm not sure if they fixed the build quality since then.

It doesn't look like it is produced anymore, so there is no possibility that it has a better build quality. Do you have any source regarding that they break?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It doesn't look like it is produced anymore, so there is no possibility that it has a better build quality. Do you have any source regarding that they break?

Mostly reading people on GAF bought multiple ones and they all fell apart. I was considering getting one instead of a stick at the time since I wasn't acclimated to them at the time but reading about how they all fell apart just made me pay more for a standard edition street fighter stick.

EDIT: Looking online it seems like the build quality is mixed so people get ones that fall apart and ones that are perfectly fine so you might want to stress test that one you bought when it comes in.

Deques

Mostly reading people on GAF bought multiple ones and they all fell apart. I was considering getting one instead of a stick at the time since I wasn't acclimated to them at the time but reading about how they all fell apart just made me pay more for a standard edition street fighter stick.

EDIT: Looking online it seems like the build quality is mixed so people get ones that fall apart and ones that are perfectly fine so you might want to stress test that one you bought when it comes in.

I dunno how much stress test I can do, I will probably casual play fighting games anyway. I am not that good fighter >.< I just want a better gamepad for fighting games. The Xbox 360 controller is not good at all

But back to my question, will it work with Better DS3?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I... Think I may need this in my life. Is it a hassle to set up and transfer bookmarks, saved tabs, extensions etc?

Since it's Firefox under the hood, everything saves to the usual Firefox folders in AppData. You don't need to transfer anything.

what does that mean exactly

works faster? less memory?

It's supposed to be faster, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference, really.

milena87

Ok, this weekend I finished both Dremfall and Dreamfall Chapters.

Regarding Dreamfall: I enjoyed the story a lot more this time around. Last time I probably was a bit disappointed at how the game ends and still leaves a lot of things unresolved. This time I knew there was a sequel.

The first book of Dreamfall Chapters was nice, but a bit disappointing. I wanted to see more of Kian's journey, instead of watching Zoe slowly running around Europolis doing boring things.
No seriously, why can't we have a faster running animation?

man, some people really ran away with Valve's tuesday physics session

"Valve press conference on 3/3 at 3pm!!! Could it be?!..."

it's just a physics session

didn't know people liked physics this much! :p

what do you use? opera?
I actually still use Opera 12.17. The last version before the chromium switch. I never had a more comfortable browser. A shame they do not make m like they used to.

I... Think I may need this in my life. Is it a hassle to set up and transfer bookmarks, saved tabs, extensions etc?
For some sites that do not work in Opera 12, I use Comodo IceDragon 64-bit. This is also a 'Firefox under the hood' but with the added security of comodo. Be sure to check that one out. You have options!

zkylon

zkylewd
after a brief hiatus i continue crossing games off my list

* claire
* knock-knock
* lifeless planet
* the novelist
* stranded
* year walk
* dreaming sarah
* a bird story
* maybe giving shadow warrior a second chance
* world end economica

even tho i've been told i should play year walk on like new year's eve or whatever, i figured i'd play it now too so i could compare

really cool game, the art style was super striking and in general the whole thing has a fantastic presentation, the game really transports you to the world of its haunting folk tales. reading its very wikipedia-like codex with its cold definitions for each of the monsters and then seeing how the game twists those creatures to something outside of your expectations is very cool and creepy. and i really like how they handled the journal, which is pretty spoilery to talk about. the devs really gave themselves so many tools to play with your expectations and make the whole thing feel "real". ends up with like a donnie darko kind of feel or something.

the puzzles were pretty easy, ended up using hints on the tree section since i don't have good ears for that kind of stuff (and the hints were pretty useless tbh, so i ended up brute-forcing it), but other than that it was mostly a matter of taking notes. i always love when a game has you taking notes, even if it's mostly a writing things down just so you don't forget like this one (it's not fez-level of notepad coolness). it's also very cool in the context of the game cos i ended up with a notepad page full of strange runes and glyphs, crazy-person style

only thing i don't like about the game is that i really wish the map hotkey was bound to something less stupid than fucking numpad 1 (i heard 'm' is a good choice!)

year walk is really cool, i kinda really want to find out what changes if you play it on new year's eve. even if it's a very minor thing i still appreciate it's another layer to the game

It's supposed to be faster, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference, really.
hmm

so why do u use it then :I

I actually still use Opera 12.17. The last version before the chromium switch. I never had a more comfortable browser. A shame they do not make m like they used to.
i used to work with an opera evangelist and he got me to install it and half the sites i tried to go to didn't work and it kept saying there were errors in everything including opera's own site and i didn't see any reason to have opera since i'm already gonna have chrome and firefox installed for work reasons, and since opera hates half the internet i'm still gonna have to use them

so yea, to me it was super crap, tho that was a couple years ago

maybe now it's not so super crap

Am I the only one who enjoyed RE5? I feel like it. Maybe it's because I played it before any of the other games.

I've always felt that if RE5 had been released at the time of RE4, it would have been the game everybody raves about.

All it really needs is different characters, a better story, better boss battles, no coop, more varied enemies, better game balance and more interesting locations.

Arthea

I finished bunch of games, not that anybody cares but some impressions done quick

9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek - don't bother, all other Artifex Mundi games are better (this one seems to be not developed by them only released if I understand this correctly), unless you want your percentages up and +1 to 52 games challenge, because it is short and easy to 100%.

Time Mysteries: The Final Enigma - this is better than the game above also includes time travel, again it's short and easy for that 52 challenge.

Shan Gui - it's OK, I guess, nothing spectacular and being not choices based or offering any other form of gameplay, it is again not my thing, but very short too.

as you noticed, I marathoned through Artifex Mundi games, I think I finished all I had and all I had unfinished by default. It's quite nice of them that all their games include cards too.

in other news: 9 days left.

Will do when I get back home

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
man, some people really ran away with Valve's tuesday physics session

"Valve press conference on 3/3 at 3pm!!! Could it be?!..."

it's just a physics session

didn't know people liked physics this much! :p
When it's as dreamy as Brian Cox, yes
y6xES4b.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I finished bunch of games, not that anybody cares but some impressions done quick

9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek - don't bother, all other Artifex Mundi games are better (this one seems to be not developed by them only released if I understand this correctly), unless you want your percentages up and +1 to 52 games challenge, because it is short and easy to 100%.

Time Mysteries: The Final Enigma - this is better than the game above also includes time travel, again it's short and easy for that 52 challenge.

Shan Gui - it's OK, I guess, nothing spectacular and being not choices based or offering any other form of gameplay, it is again not my thing, but very short too.

as you noticed, I marathoned through Artifex Mundi games, I think I finished all I had and all I had unfinished by default. It's quite nice of them that all their games include cards too.

in other news: 9 days left.

i don't think anyone noticed :p

When it's as dreamy as Brian Cox, yes
y6xES4b.jpg
that guy looks like a less hot version of mads mikkelsen

btw mads mikkelsen is totes my husbando <3

KZ0 is some atmospheric stuff, however I did not expect each act to be so short (looked it up after finishing act 1), is there a release schedule for this thing?

I keep getting random friend requests from accounts with just counter strike or TF2. I don't ever accept these requests, but I wonder why I am being targeted. I wonder if I have some TF2 item that is sought after, or just people are trying to fish for my account. I am at game 698. Is this happening to anyone else?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
KZ0 is some atmospheric stuff, however I did not expect each act to be so short (looked it up after finishing act 1), is there a release schedule for this thing?

I'm actually afraid to start atm since I don't want to really get into it and just be left hanging forever like everyone else.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm actually afraid to start atm since I don't want to really get into it and just be left hanging forever like everyone else.
i personally love playing episodic stuff as episodes rather than doing it all in one go

there's a feeling of returning to a familiar place when a new episode is released and i actually love the wait and the anticipation

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i personally love playing episodic stuff as episodes rather than doing it all in one go

there's a feeling of returning to a familiar place when a new episode is released and i actually love the wait and the anticipation

After waiting for each episode of Umineko no Naku Koro ni for years I'd rather just one shot things.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I would highly recommend taking your time and inspecting the back roads during each Act. There's a lot of great little mini text-adventures or special events you can miss out on completely if you don't get meticulous. It gets even crazier when
The Zero
is introduced.

Be sure to play the 3 side-act games:

Limits & Demonstrations is meant to be played between Act I and II.
The Entertainment is meant to be played between Act II and III.
Here And There Along The Echo is meant to be played between Act III and the eventual Act IV.

They're all really excellent pieces of world building and the devs toying with new ideas that they didn't think would fit into the framing of the game proper. The Entertainment was their exhibition piece for the Oculus Rift! Really neat idea by incorporating you into the physical performance.

You could be waiting a whole nother year or two at this rate, Mihoshi! They seem to release a new Act every 9-12 months now, but there's usually a side-act that shows up about 6 months after an Act drops which helps tide things over. Though, I can understand wanting to hold off. I'm still waiting for The Dream Machine to finish. I just feel like... KR0 is different. I tend not to think too much about Telltale style adventure games between episodes, but I always think back to something someone said, a powerful piece of scenary, or the meaning behind a reference. It's so dense with little bits of info, they really spend a lot of time per episode but it is worth it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I keep getting random friend requests from accounts with just counter strike or TF2. I don't ever accept these requests, but I wonder why I am being targeted. I wonder if I have some TF2 item that is sought after, or just people are trying to fish for my account. I am at game 698. Is this happening to anyone else?

They're bot accounts hoping to scam and such requests are exceedingly common. I get at least two or three every day.

zkylon

zkylewd
Taking their sweet time I see.
After waiting for each episode of Umineko no Naku Koro ni for years I'd rather just one shot things.
what cheese says is right and they do have a few small side projects with a shared aesthetic that are really cool to keep you occupied while you wait

greenlight is on fire

seriously Volvo? seriously?!
it's annoyingly hard to follow with all that horrible stuff piled day after day after day.

these aren't even worst examples, actually (><)
i mean that part is not really valve's fault, ppl upload shit and it should be valve's job to verify they're not scams or shovelware when they get greenlit or at least a high enough number of votes

Arthea

i mean that part is not really valve's fault, ppl upload shit and it should be valve's job to verify they're not scams or shovelware when they get greenlit or at least a high enough number of votes

There should be still some minimum requirements to post your game on greenlight, I understand it's free money and volvo never going to do about it, but most people won't even bother to find a game in that pile of shit anymore, it's too much work and it's really bad for devs, because they need their game to be noticed, and how can it be in situation like it is now? The only way it's go all bundle way? That seems to work for now and nothing else does.

Tizoc

Anyone who is working on the code for Chrome should be forced to keep that thread open. I'm sure the gif issue would be fixed up rather quickly~

They're using GIFs? Let them change them to WEBMs, here's an easy method that even a 3 year old can do

1- Go to gfycat.com
2- Click on Fetch button and paste your GIF
3- GFYcat will produce a WEBM file, right click it and choose 'Copy Video URL'
4- Tada you now have a WEBM that won't cause bandwidth issues and crashing on browers!
5- Repeat above step for every GIF you want to post on the internet

I would highly recommend taking your time and inspecting the back roads during each Act. There's a lot of great little mini text-adventures or special events you can miss out on completely if you don't get meticulous. It gets even crazier when
The Zero
is introduced.

Be sure to play the 3 side-act games:

Limits & Demonstrations is meant to be played between Act I and II.
The Entertainment is meant to be played between Act II and III.
Here And There Along The Echo is meant to be played between Act III and the eventual Act IV.

They're all really excellent pieces of world building and the devs toying with new ideas that they didn't think would fit into the framing of the game proper. The Entertainment was their exhibition piece for the Oculus Rift! Really neat idea by incorporating you into the physical performance.
Interesting, I will check them out. It's weird to see the GOTY awards on its site, it's not even finished yet.
The Besiege GAF thread is enough to make me consider switching from Chrome. It basically breaks the browser.
What's stopping you?

They're using GIFs? Let them change them to WEBMs, here's an easy method that even a 3 year old can do

1- Go to gfycat.com
4- Tada you now have a WEBM that won't cause bandwidth issues and crashing on browers!

Webms can't be easily embedded yet in most places. Webm is great but it's more a video format than an image format like gif so I don't see it replacing gifs sadly.

Arthea

1- Go to gfycat.com

or, why we would do any of that, if gifs are perfectly fine and don't require any additional investment of time ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
There should be still some minimum requirements to post your game on greenlight, I understand it's free money and volvo never going to do about it, but most people won't even bother to find a game in that pile of shit anymore, it's too much work and it's really bad for devs, because they need their game to be noticed, and how can it be in situation like it is now? The only way it's go all bundle way? That seems to work for now and nothing else does.
oh yeah that's true, i was just saying not valve's fault in the situation we're currently in

that they've created this situation because of their laziness, greed and/or incompetence? hard to argue against that!

(gotta stop shittalking valve... i dunno how i'm ever gonna get a game on steam)

_hekk05

Banned
Webms can't be easily embedded yet in most places. Webm is great but it's more a video format than an image format like gif so I don't see it replacing gifs sadly.

You've got webps for that.

Webms need to have sound man. I want to hear things crash and burn when I watch people's hilarious machines breaking in besiege

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
BesiegeGaf should just learn how to make webms

I should join besiege gaf

Webms are a great format, but sadly:

This sort of holds it back. I know there's a browser plugin that supports inline embeds for webms, but until that's standard I can't see as many users bothering.

Interesting, I will check them out. It's weird to see the GOTY awards on its site, it's not even finished yet.

If my editors didn't insist otherwise, KR0 would be my GOTY every year they've put out an episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom