• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockdude

Mozilla's Firefox having issues with webm files has to be some sort of bizarre "this or that" collusion with Google and Chrome's problem with gifs. :p
It's more to do with Media Source Extensions (MSE), which Youtube migrated to a year or two ago and which every browser supported, except for Firefox.
I'm glad there's finally enough MSE support in the stable Firefox to get 60FPS on Youtube. I had to use IE otherwise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Waterfox is faster than regular FF. I know you use Waterfox. I should have tried it out earlier.

It's probably not the best browser in the world (there can be months between stable releases, although I think there are nightlies), but it works, and can address 64-bit memory.

I was talking about the game timeline :p

Thanks Jase

I'm glad that my grossly verbose version of "There is no canonical timeline" proved helpful. ;)

I just learned about Better DS3.

Apparently a modified version of DS3 Tool (yeah, I know malware).

Does anyone have experience with this? I am using SCP which works fine but I would like to have the option to use DS3 controller without a USB cable.

shockdude

I just learned about Better DS3.

Apparently a modified version of DS3 Tool (yeah, I know malware).

Does anyone have experience with this? I am using SCP which works fine but I would like to have the option to use DS3 controller without a USB cable.
You couldn't get bluetooth to work with SCP? Anything that works with DS3 Tool should work with SCP.

I use DS3 Tool+Better DS3, but only because SCP doesn't have proper button remapping. Playing shmups with the analog stick is no fun.
Also there is a way to setup and use DS3 tool without ever having to connect to the internet, so the malware concerns aren't really a problem. Stability might be a problem, though, which is why I still recommend SCP if possible.

It's probably not the best browser in the world (there can be months between stable releases, although I think there are nightlies), but it works, and can address 64-bit memory.

I'm glad that my grossly verbose version of "There is no canonical timeline" proved helpful. ;)

Helped in a way that I will not be trying to get a timeline and how it fits in the HL series. xD

You couldn't get bluetooth to work with SCP? Anything that works with DS3 Tool should work with SCP.

I use DS3 Tool+Better DS3, but only because SCP doesn't have proper button remapping. Playing shmups with the analog stick is no fun.
Also there is a way to setup and use DS3 tool without ever having to connect to the internet, so the malware concerns aren't really a problem. Stability might be a problem, though, which is why I still recommend SCP if possible.
A weird thing happened. Usually when I pull the USB cord after connecting my DS3, it disconnects. But just now after pulling the cord my DS3 still is connected and works!
I only ever used SCP and thankfully I didn't need to remap buttons so far. With wireless now working as well I won't be needing Better DS3 I guess.

But yeah, as you said, Better DS3 did supposedly get rid of the malware/trojan aspects of MotionInJoy.

Lomax

Well, I'm finally done with Hexcells Infinite. Still need to play the random levels, though.

I decided to play the random levels first. They are fairly relaxing and once I've gotten the achievement (I'm a little over half way there about 4 hours in) I think I'll be perfectly tuned for the harder custom puzzles. I just didn't see myself going back to the random ones once I finished the main game.

Waterfox is essentially just a 64-bit version of Firefox.

Waterfox seemed more unstable to me after a while and was falling farther and farther behind, so I ended up going back to regular firefox.

Ozium

best browser is the Wii U browser, I wish I could use it on computer.. it is legit good

also you can scroll a page by tilting the gamepad

JaseC

Waterfox seemed more unstable to me after a while and was falling farther and farther behind, so I ended up going back to regular firefox.

Funnily enough, the opposite is what lead me to Waterfox: Flash would crash almost constantly, but Waterfox had no trouble whatsoever, presumably due to the slower stable release schedule, so whatever bug that was causing the instability had yet to manifest. Ever since I've just adopted the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and Waterfox has held strong in that regard.

shockdude

Waterfox sounds cool, but for me Firefox 36 is stable enough. Granted I rarely use more than 10 tabs at a time.

A weird thing happened. Usually when I pull the USB cord after connecting my DS3, it disconnects. But just now after pulling the cord my DS3 still is connected and works!
I only ever used SCP and thankfully I didn't need to remap buttons so far. With wireless now working as well I won't be needing Better DS3 I guess.

But yeah, as you said, Better DS3 did supposedly get rid of the malware/trojan aspects of MotionInJoy.
Glad you got SCP's bluetooth to work.

With Motioninjoy, you still need to use DS3 tool to install the drivers, which means internet connectivity. Fortunately there's a mod that makes DS3 tool completely offline: http://forums.motioninjoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3551
I frequently swap between my laptop's bluetooth driver and the Motioninjoy driver, which means I have to use DS3 tool a lot, so I'm grateful for the offline mod.

JaseC

36. And it has the same problem where sometimes random pictures are just black. But it feels faster than FF36.

Download the less racist version.

Edit: Jokes aside, the only issue I've had is with Firefox's rendering engine changing how images are cached in a wholly awful attempt at reducing memory usage -- images are reloaded on a per-tab basis but I've never encountered a situation where they're just black, or at least that''s not happened in recent weeks.

Vibranium

Banned
Was on a Doctor Who kick, in the waiting game for Series 9, completed The Adventure Games 100%. The voice acting and such was much improved in the final episode, The Gunpowder Plot, I guess since by that time Matt had settled into his role. It was also the longest one and had two of the best DW enemies (Rutons/Sontarons). Hopefully if Smith ever does Big Finish he'll bring A game.

I found it funny how the collectible card for the 6th Doctor did not even describe his arrogance and self-assurance at all. There should have been way more items for Classic Who.

rtcn63

I found it funny how the collectible card for the 6th Doctor did not even describe his arrogance and self-assurance at all. There should have been way more items for Classic Who.

I haven't played it, but I'm guessing they decided against having an image of him strangling Peri in the console room.

Vibranium

Banned
I haven't played it, but I'm guessing they decided against having an image of him strangling Peri in the console room.

Well, they don't need to mention the strangling lol, Six settled down a lot after that incident anyways, he's awesome in Big Finish. He has a much better blue coat in the audios and displays more outwards caring, with his self-assurance still there.

I want Classic Who Adventure Games.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well, they don't need to mention the strangling lol, Six settled down a lot after that incident anyways, he's awesome in Big Finish. He has a much better blue coat in the audios and displays more outwards caring, with his self-assurance still there.

I want Classic Who Adventure Games.

Sixth Doctor's stories on Earth with Evelyn Smythe against The Forge would make for a wonderful adventure game. All the things that make Doctor Who strong with adventure, monsters, mystery, etc as well as a lot of good strong emotion and one of the best companions any Doctor has ever had.

Such good stuff the Big Finish audio plays.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Magical Battle Festa - Quick Impressions

• Simple and easy to follow story.
  • Combat may feel weird at first but it's easy to learn.
  • Music is fun and cutesy which fits the visuals
  • Performance on gameplay is perfect but I get some weird slowdowns on character animations on story sections which dont affect.
  • Visuals are weird in the sense that character models are ok but the shadows can be blocky and stage textures can be all over the place on terms of quality.

Overall Im having fun with it and gotta try the network play to see how it goes.

Maniac

Banned
Finished Portal 2, and it was awesome.
I didn't expect to explore the first Aperture testing sites, as well Wheatley becoming maniacal once he assumed the control of the facility, or GLaDOS being put on a potato (lol).

Now a question, how much time has passed between Portal and Portal 2?

The most popular and credible theory is that it's been between
ten to twenty years from P1 to P2, however it's all really just conjecture based off of the average life-span of a nuclear reactor coupled with the decay of the entire facility, the seeming loss of most if not all test subjects 'cept for Chell, aswell as how things look "topside"
<- Mild spoilers, and yes, I'm too darn lazy to tag actual spoilery bits so I spoilered it all out in case someone here is silly enough to not have played one of the very best puzzle games ever created. If you're such an individual, please be ashamed of yourself.

When you're done being ashamed, go play Portal 2.

Waterfox is essentially just a 64-bit version of Firefox.

I... Think I may need this in my life. Is it a hassle to set up and transfer bookmarks, saved tabs, extensions etc?

Beat Defense Grid 2. Another Steam game off the backlog. Really enjoyed it. The original is still my favorite tower defense game of all time but this is close.

Jawmuncher

what do you use? opera?

yuck

what does that mean exactly

works faster? less memory?
No I still use chrome mainly sometimes Firefox. But I really don't like either. I wish I could just squish them both together.
Finished my RE2 replay! It's been a few years but I got an S rank on both Claire A and Leon B.
Nice and without a guide to? I suck at the old RE games. I take long breaks for me anyway that when I replay I forget what to do for the puzzles and back tracking.
Also did you ever beat Dino Crisis? I think you answered me but I missed the post.

The most popular and credible theory is that it's been between
ten to twenty years from P1 to P2, however it's all really just conjecture based off of the average life-span of a nuclear reactor coupled with the decay of the entire facility, the seeming loss of most if not all test subjects 'cept for Chell, aswell as how things look "topside"
<- Mild spoilers, and yes, I'm too darn lazy to tag actual spoilery bits so I spoilered it all out in case someone here is silly enough to not have played one of the very best puzzle games ever created. If you're such an individual, please be ashamed of yourself.

When you're done being ashamed, go play Portal 2.

I... Think I may need this in my life. Is it a hassle to set up and transfer bookmarks, saved tabs, extensions etc?

Just tested some of that because Chrome started to behave very poorly while streaming a footy match. Waterfox imported my Chrome bookmarks without any kind of issue, same goes for saved history. I can't find an option to get my saved passwords, though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nice and without a guide to? I suck at the old RE games. I take long breaks for me anyway that when I replay I forget what to do for the puzzles and back tracking.
Also did you ever beat Dino Crisis? I think you answered me but I missed the post.

Yup! It has been years since I replayed it so I thought it was a bit odd I managed to do that. lol.

I actually haven't started DinoCrisis proper since I had trouble running it on most emulators that would play it without problems, so I might just buy it again on PSN soon.

Jawmuncher

Yup! It has been years since I replayed it so I thought it was a bit odd I managed to do that. lol.

I actually haven't started DinoCrisis proper since I had trouble running it on most emulators that would play it without problems, so I might just buy it again on PSN soon.

I see. Shame you missed it when both 1&2 were a dollar. You should definitley get to it some time down the line. I'll see if I can check my setting I used for DC on ePSXe. I ran it flawlessly when I played last year.

Vazra

15642ef7e7.jpg

OMG let me idle some stuff to see if I can get something decent for game 600

zkylon

zkylewd
No I still use chrome mainly sometimes Firefox. But I really don't like either. I wish I could just squish them both together.
i like chrome but it started bugging out really hard on youtube videos (basically if i opened the tab in which the video was loading it would start over for some unknown reason) and despite all my attempts to reset it, reinstall and fix nothing helped, so moved to ff which has its own share of minor annoyances, tho none as big

firefox is super ugly tho

Jawmuncher

Out of curiosity what parts of each browser do you like/hate?

Firefox
-Set image as desktop wallpaper feature
-Layout of add-on store
-Book Mark Layout

Chrome
-60fps YouTube (this might be on Firefox now)
-enhanced steam
-default Google page with frequently visited sites layout.

It's all relatively minor stuff but it always sits there bothering me. I mainly have switched to chrome for the majority these days. But still hop to Mozilla from time to time.

Pollux

Quick general question about Steam - if I take a screenshot during a game, how do I access that screenshot later?

zkylon

zkylewd
Firefox
-Set image as desktop wallpaper feature
-Layout of add-on store
-Book Mark Layout

Chrome
-60fps YouTube (this might be on Firefox now)
-enhanced steam
-default Google page with frequently visited sites layout.

It's all relatively minor stuff but it always sits there bothering me. I mainly have switched to chrome for the majority these days. But still hop to Mozilla from time to time.
firefox has enhanced steam and that most visited landing page thing

pretty sure no 60fps youtube yet

Quick general question about Steam - if I take a screenshot during a game, how do I access that screenshot later?
right click on the steam icon next to your clock or whatever and there's an option there for screenies

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Playing DreadOut reaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes me want a Fatal Frame 2 version for PC. I'd take the original or the Wii remake. Or any of the later ones we never got in the states. I just love the camera fighting tactic and so far the fights in DreadOut have left a bit to be desired. It's not bad, though! Just... really janky.

Vazra

Playing DreadOut reaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes me want a Fatal Frame 2 version for PC. I'd take the original or the Wii remake. Or any of the later ones we never got in the states. I just love the camera fighting tactic and so far the fights in DreadOut have left a bit to be desired. It's not bad, though! Just... really janky.

You could import the Wii remake or the PS2 game run them on dolphin or PCSX2. They are fully playable. Tecmo aint gonna bother with FF here it seems.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You could import the Wii remake or the PS2 game run them on dolphin or PCSX2. They are fully playable. Tecmo aint gonna bother with FF here it seems.

That's the route I guess I'll have to take unless I want to drag my OGXbox out and hope it wants to cooperate this time. The copy I have from back then was an Xbox version and, well... emulation for that is still pretty much in the "We're lucky if we can get a game to boot" stage, from the looks of it.

Miguel81

Fatal Frame 2(PS2/PCSX2 here) has got to be one of the most disturbing survival horror games I've ever played. The only negative for me was the inverted camera control(part 3 gave you the option for standard method). It looks and runs great on PCSX2, though I would also rather have these game on Steam as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom