• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That's the route I guess I'll have to take unless I want to drag my OGXbox out and hope it wants to cooperate this time. The copy I have from back then was an Xbox version and, well... emulation for that is still pretty much in the "We're lucky if we can get a game to boot" stage, from the looks of it.

Buy the PS2 trilogy and emulate them easily.

Playing DreadOut reaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes me want a Fatal Frame 2 version for PC. I'd take the original or the Wii remake. Or any of the later ones we never got in the states. I just love the camera fighting tactic and so far the fights in DreadOut have left a bit to be desired. It's not bad, though! Just... really janky.

Man I really enjoyed DreadOut but yeah the combat was super janky.

zkylon

zkylewd
At least in Firefox you can move all the toolbars and stuff until you get a layout that you like. If you install the Classic Theme Restorer addon, you can get even more customization.
I used CTR and some config file tweaks to make a very clean single-toolbar interface.
that looks nice but i need my bookmarks bar and my address bar to be always visible

shockdude

that looks nice but i need my bookmarks bar and my address bar to be always visible
The address bar is always visible...?
Also, bookmarks bar. I could also put the bookmarks in the same toolbar with the address bar, but that would make things too crowded if you have a lot of bookmarks.
SM2ER7r.png
Dark theme is too gray. At least light theme has color.

At least in Firefox you can move all the toolbars and stuff until you get a layout that you like. If you install the Classic Theme Restorer addon, you can get even more customization.
I used CTR and some config file tweaks to make a very clean single-toolbar interface.

CTR fans unite!

Miguel81

That looks pretty good. I've been using Hide Caption Titlebar, but it no longer allows a single bar like what you're showing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On the topic of 100%ing Double Fine games... Hack 'n' Slash doesn't have achievements or cards? Wtf? My impression was that Hack 'n' Slash was completed while Spacebase DF-9 was left incomplete, but it's hard to believe Hack 'n' Slash is complete if it doesn't even have those basic touches :/

zkylon

zkylewd
played a bit of year walk

i hate puzzles that involve listening to things

i can never get those right

also i really wish m was hotkey'd to map

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty damn beautiful.

Nice to see this getting more attention. The thread in Gaming died within the first page.

On the topic of 100%ing Double Fine games... Hack 'n' Slash doesn't have achievements or cards? Wtf? My impression was that Hack 'n' Slash was completed while Spacebase DF-9 was left incomplete, but it's hard to believe Hack 'n' Slash is complete if it doesn't even have those basic touches :/

You should stay away from the Amnesia Fortnite prototypes then. Autonomous Prototype has three achievements, but DF is unable to make them unlockable.

Maybe someone still needs this

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hitman Absolution -- MB-A4D25B619BE7AD6B - Taken by Watevaman

Parsnip

Weirdly though it is heavily laggy playback which resulted in only wasted time :/

Double the frames, double the lag.
The reason you need to jump through some hoops in Firefox for now is that there are some instability on some platforms with media source extensions, so it's still disabled by default.
And for that same reason youtube doesn't default to html5 for firefox, yet.

shockdude

Double the frames, double the lag.
The reason you need to jump through some hoops in Firefox for now is that there are some instability on some platforms with media source extensions, so it's still disabled by default.
And for that same reason youtube doesn't default to html5 for firefox, yet.

MSE is only unstable with webm. 60FPS Youtube in Firefox works perfectly with MSE H.264.

60FPS Youtube on Firefox 36 works fine for me. The key thing however is to disable mediasource webm.

media.mediasource.enabled = true
media.mediasource.mp4.enabled = true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled = false
media.mediasource.youtubeonly = true

Good Lord that did it! THAT DID IT!

Super fluid now! Thanks buddy. This is awesome :D

Edit to remain on topic: Been trying some other shmups in my library recently.
Syder Arcade is a pretty good classic-style horizontal shmup with quality 3D graphics. My main issue is the difficulty curve; I can easily 1CC the second hardest difficulty and could probably do a no-death clear, but the hardest difficulty has one-hit kills and will require a lot of practice.
Not sure how I feel about Really Big Sky. It's an enjoyable ride, but it's extremely random and the wacky effects make for really poor visibility.
Revolver 360 is really weird due to the rotation mechanic. This one will take some getting used to.

Also Risk of Rain is hard.

MattyG

Banned
Sooooo, I've NEVER played a RE game before. What are the essentials? I own Revelations 1 (3DS), and I'm assuming I should at least play RE HD and 4, but what else do I need to play?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo, I've NEVER played a RE game before. What are the essentials? I own Revelations 1 (3DS), and I'm assuming I should at least play RE HD and 4, but what else do I need to play?

The first three. The HD remaster, often referred to as REmake, of the first game has already made it to steam.

If you have no appreciation for the context in which these games were released, I would say you need to avoid the Playstation 1 games because the controls are pretty bad.

The REmake on Steam has a optional modern control scheme.

Speevy

Banned

If you have no appreciation for the context in which these games were released, I would say you need to avoid the Playstation 1 games because the controls are pretty bad.

Xanathus

The thing is that there are essentially 2 different types of RE games. The puzzle/survival types like RE 1 - 3, and the action/shooter ones from RE 4-6 and Revelations. You should try RE HD and 4 first to see which type you want to play more of.

MattyG

Banned
The first three. The HD remaster, often referred to as REmake, of the first game has already made it to steam.

The thing is that there are essentially 2 different types of RE games. The puzzle/survival types like RE 1 - 3, and the action/shooter ones from RE 4-6 and Revelations. You should try RE HD and 4 first to see which type you want to play more of.
Definitely going to check out RE HD and 4 then. Both playstyles look interesting, so hopefully I enjoy both. Maybe I'll grab RE HD before spring break and give it a playthrough.

Yeah, I thought about this. I'd like to play them all, but I had a feeling the PSX ones wouldn't hold up well.

i think remake, 2 and 4 is a good way to cover the very basics of the series, with 2 being the absolute best, tho i haven't played the remake or 3

i played the first two a couple years ago and to me they played pretty well if you can deal with tank controls. i was never much of a fan of 4, at least i never liked everything that came after the village portion of the game
Hmmmm, well if I like RE HD I'll at least give 2 and 3 a shot. I wonder if I can play them on the Vita.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think remake, re2 and re4 is a good way to cover the very basics of the series, with re2 being the absolute best, tho i haven't played the remake or re3

i played the first two again a couple years ago and to me they played pretty well if you can deal with tank controls. i was never much of a fan of re4, at least i never liked everything that came after the village portion of the game

also legit suggestion you might want to play re1 for the hilarity of its vo.

Yeah, I thought about this. I'd like to play them all, but I had a feeling the PSX ones wouldn't hold up well.
the controls are pretty bad tho they make sense with the fixed camera angles and stuff

the game design is absolutely superb tho and that part holds up marvelously. the atmosphere and tension with the items and shit and all that is still there

imo at least re2 is a must-play by everyone alive

Hmmmm, well if I like RE HD I'll at least give 2 and 3 a shot. I wonder if I can play them on the Vita.
i mean, it depends what you're asking for in the series

i personally don't have much issue with tank controls and the game doesn't really put you in that many situations in which the tank controls become an issue. boss fights are kind of annoying but for the most part you're supposed to run past enemies so it's not like there's a very involved combat system that's broken because of tank controls

so yeah if you want like an action game with tight mechanics you're probably better off playing re4 but if you're interested in mostly an adventure game with light combat and survival elements then re1, re2 and remake are really good choices. i'm sure re3 is too, and i heard good things of code veronica, but i haven't had the pleasure

MattyG

Banned
i mean, it depends what you're asking for in the series

i personally don't have much issue with tank controls and the game doesn't really put you in that many situations in which the tank controls become an issue. boss fights are kind of annoying but for the most part you're supposed to run past enemies so it's not like there's a very involved combat system that's broken because of tank controls

so yeah if you want like an action game with tight mechanics you're probably better off playing re4 but if you're interested in mostly an adventure game with light combat and survival elements then re1, re2 and remake are really good choices. i'm sure re3 is too, and i heard good things of code veronica, but i haven't had the pleasure
I'm really going in with minimal expections. I like the premise of the series, and I hear nothing but praise about REmake and 4, so I figure they're must plays. I'm interested in both play styles, honestly. The older puzzle games might actually appeal to me more than the modern RE's. Hopefully they both grab me when I finally get to them, though.

yuraya

Play Code Veronica if you can. Everything else in the series was kind of meh from what I remember. I haven't played anything past 4 tho. Maybe some of the newer stuff is good as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm really going in with minimal expections. I like the premise of the series, and I hear nothing but praise about REmake and 4, so I figure they're must plays. I'm interested in both play styles, honestly. The older puzzle games might actually appeal to me more than the modern RE's. Hopefully they both grab me when I finally get to them, though.
if the idea of walking around the mansion and good metroid-style backtracking appeals to you then i don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the first ones

there's some clunkiness that might annoy you like not being able to use herbs without putting them in your inventory first and just generally combat not being very much fun, but i think the other points more than make up for it

Play Code Veronica if you can. Everything else in the series was kind of meh from what I remember. I haven't played anything past 4 tho. Maybe some of the newer stuff is good as well.

What an horrible opinion right here. Play 1 and 2, then ReMake and Nemesis, then CV and RE4 and then what ever you can find

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

1,2,3, and 4 area ll really good. You can kick it off with the Remake/Remaster of 1 and work your way to way to 4. I personally don't like 5 but you can give it a go and 6 has a nice combat system but is questionable in other areas and I plain just don't like Revelations but it's sequel seems promising.

Tecl0n

2 and CV are the best games in the series, you should try them if you can.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On Steam, I say go for Resident Evil Remaster HD and Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition. If you want co-op games to play with someone, go with RE5 and RE6 (they're both really good co-op games). Revelations 2 is turning out pretty interesting based off of episode 1 right now.

If you get a chance off Steam for the now, RE2 is very good. So are RE3, Code Veronica for many...

Honestly speaking, yes, all the main RE games are worth playing for different reasons, and some of the spin-offs as well. However, the three most beloved ones by most are REmake (Remaster HD), RE4, and RE2. The others are all very good but less common as people's favorite.

baterism

Am I the only one who enjoyed RE5? I feel like it. Maybe it's because I played it before any of the other games.

I also really enjoyed that. However, I played it on friends home co-op, so I'm unaware of AI problem. Chris punching boulder is one of the most memorable event in video games.

Ozium

how long do I have to have played a game to be able to write a review for it? I want to write a review for how do you Do it? but it's not appearing.

edit: oh it appeared now after I idled for a few more minutes and then closed the game.. weird

Sch1sm

Possibly?
Did you play it coop with someone, or did you wrestle with the negative IQ AI?

Solo first, which was absolutely dreadful considering Sheva is about as useful as a screwdriver with no head. But even then I enjoyed it. If only for the challenge. Any time after that I'd unlocked infinite ammo, so it wasn't nearly as bad, but I only played coop beyond first playthrough.

KainXVIII

Skip Zero and CV - they are horrible, despite what some fans says. Maybe Gun Survivor and Outbreak also not worth it.

Miguel81

Just play those two and if you enjoy both types, I'd go with part 2 after that. If you're talking Steam-only then part 5(wait for Gold patch) is a good choice with a coop partner.

Am I the only one who enjoyed RE5? I feel like it. Maybe it's because I played it before any of the other games.

Nope. I enjoyed it very much so, and consider it a great game. Also my favorite coop game from the last generation.

Deques

A few days ago I was asking your opinion on the SNES knockoff controller for PC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153746792&postcount=14655

Your response that it wouldn't feel like a real SNES controller and/or would easily break. I was looking a good gamepad to use for fighting games. Some of you suggested a Saturn gamepad and some recommended a Buffalo SNES but.
Yesterday my brother found the Mad Catz Fightpad in a Swedish online store for cheap, around $20!! I ordered it instantly without hesitation since this gamepad is way too expensive and most of them are used controllers.
What I have read it is supposed to be a good gamepad for fighting games. My question now is will it work with Better DS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom