• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

or, why we would do any of that, if gifs are perfectly fine and don't require any additional investment of time ;)

IT'S AN INVESTMENT OF TIME ON MY END FOR THEM TO PROPERLY LOAD :V
Don't be a smartypants man, it's 4 easy steps, go ahead and try it yourself.

Webms can't be easily embedded yet in most places. Webm is great but it's more a video format than an image format like gif so I don't see it replacing gifs sadly.

We have a Chrome extension for embedding WEBMs on GAF
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webm-for-neogaf/gcjkaaggachnbhepejjhfacpldjflffl

Deques

Thinking about buying Hotline Miami 2 from Nuuvem, it's not region blocked right? And if not, there is no chance that it will change before release?

The most recent Canary build is somewhat better: the GIF's still load slow as fuck, but at least now they are non-blocking so it's actually possible to the page while they load.

Haunted

Thanks guys, will try that out when I can. It's probably also not helping that I have the extension installed that automatically displays webms. >_>

The Besiege thread has tons of webms and gifs.

What's stopping you?
I've specifically switched from Firefox to Chrome some time ago because I didn't like how bloaty Firefox had become.

Do we have a browser thread or is there a current consensus best browser? Don't say IE or Opera.

Maybe I'll try out a couple of the lightweight variants.

milena87

Exactly my opinion. Zoe's story is TOTALLY uninteresting until now. The better things of Chapter 1 are the first 10 minutes and the closing sequence.

I loved Zoe's journey in Dreamfall and I really liked the first minutes of Chapters in
the storytime

I kinda hoped that she
would start remembering throughout the entire first book, instead we got to the end and she still knows nothing. Ok, she recognized some people, but couldn't quite place from where, and she talked to the child that she rescued in the storytime, but other than that, nada...

At this point, Zoe's part of Chapter 2 will probably be about
her rediscovering herself and hopefully starting to use some powers again.

Kian is instead a total mistery to me. His role in Dreamfall consisted pretty much of
doubting the Azadi mission in the Northlands and getting April killed. He didn't see the Prophet, he talked to Zoe once and the doesn't know about Stark
. So I'm really curious about what they'll do with him.

Oh, and the ending part was pretty interesting. I'm really curious about their role in the story.
The baby is a Draic Kin. edit: and possibly a Shifter? April was kinda a Draic Kin and she's dead, in Dreamfall we learn that the Old one is silent and we see that something attacked the White One. Is the Undreaming connected to all this?

Thinking about buying Hotline Miami 2 from Nuuvem, it's not region blocked right? And if not, there is no chance that it will change before release?

It's not region locked now, and I'd say that won't change. Even if it did, they wouldn't put a run lock, so you'd only have to activate the game with a VPN and that'd be all.

baterism

seriously Volvo? seriously?!
it's annoyingly hard to follow with all that horrible stuff piled day after day after day.

these aren't even worst examples, actually (><)

For as much as I hate "garbage/not my taste" games entering Steam, I won't blame Valve for that. They give people what they want with Greenlight, if garbage is what people want, let it be. I hope "No" button have more power though.

Arthea

For as much as I hate "garbage/not my taste" games entering Steam, I won't blame Valve for that. They give people what they want with Greenlight, if garbage is what people want, let it be. I hope "No" button have more power though.

I'm not talking "not my taste", what power of no would be used if ever given, so no.
I actually mean what I said - garbage: joke additions, not fully realised games sometimes not even concepts, something that looks like done by a drunk 5 year old, etc.
And there is no power of people at this point, people vote for what's in bundles and don't ever check greenlight otherwise and I see why.
Only exceptions are: MMOs, free to play games, well known games that for some reason end up on greenlight or successful kickstarters that again are well known.
Even a good looking games with palyable demo don't get enought votes these days, that shows how nobody except 300-400 people bother with greenlight, it's amount of votes more interesting games usually have and it stops there, unless they end in a bundle, as I said.
Well, some still get greenlit, but it takes really long time to collect required votes and it not always happen.

Dear SteamGAF,

I'm moving to London in two weeks, and sadly I'll have to leave my gaming PC behind. I just have an old ass Mac, so I'm afraid I'll only be able to play old games from now on
or until I find a programming job

I want to play one last graphics-intensive game (a.k.a. no way in hell it runs on my Mac's Intel GMA 3000) that can be 100%d in 20-30 hours. Here's my shortlist:

- Metro 2033 (Tried playing it a couple of times, but it hasn't clicked with me yet)
- The Last Remnant
- Dead Rising 3
- Dead Island (I'm considering it, but I'd play it always alone)
- Crysis 2 (just for the eye candy, tbh)
- Brütal Legend (same as metro)
- Just Cause 2 (Same as metro)
- Thi4f, Hitman: Absolution (Just to watch the world burn)

I really wanted to play Dark Souls or Witcher 1 or 2 from start to finish, but there's no way I'll be able to finish them in time... ;_;

zkylon

zkylewd
metro is i guess the best game of that list

more specifically:
metro - very good presentation and atmosphere and all that fancy stuff and got enough unique stuff so that it doesn't feel like a shallow shooter, and it had a pretty decent story
tlr - super long and imo is a game worthy of note mostly/only for being one of the few jrpgs on steam. and there's ff7 now on steam so you know, not looking so great anymore
dr3 - haven't played it
dead island - i think it's pretty bad, specially in singleplayer. multiplayer is pretty fun, but everything is fun in multiplayer
crysis 2 - didn't play much of it but it seemed to not have a lot of the open endedness that made crysis 1 so much fun
brutal legend - it's a pretty neat concept but i think not very much fun. i don't like metal and it made me want to listen to metal (but it didn't take lol)
just cause 2 - i didn't like this too much, game felt too hard to control to me and i felt incapable of doing the cool stuff you were supposed to do in the game
new eidos trash - haven't played

dark souls/witcha 1&2 - much better games than everything above but you know, some day...

Arthea

Dear SteamGAF,

I'm moving to London in two weeks, and sadly I'm leaving my gaming PC behind. I just have an old ass Mac, so I'm afraid I'll only be able to play old games from now on

I want to play one last graphics-intensive game (a.k.a. no way in hell it runs on my Mac's Intel GMA 3000) that can be 100%d in 20-30 hours. Here's my shortlist:

- Metro 2033 (Tried playing it a couple of times, but it hasn't clicked with me yet)
- The Last Remnant
- Dead Rising 3

I really wanted to beat Dark Souls or Witcher 1 or 2, but there's no way I'll be able to finish them in time... ;_;
from that list, don't play Dead Island, in my opinion it is horrid. The last Remnant takes about 100 hours, and even speed run wouldn't be possible in 20, I think.
I wouldn't play Dead Rising 3 too and I didn't, but that can be just me.
As you already tried Brütal Legend and JC2, I won't suggest those, although I JC2 would be my choice from that list and seeing given time, even if you won't be finishing it in 20-30 hours most likely, but still.
I haven't finished Hitman myself yet, and haven't played Thi4f yet, so can't say anything about those.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dear SteamGAF,

I'm moving to London in two weeks, and sadly I'll have to leave my gaming PC behind. I just have an old ass Mac, so I'm afraid I'll only be able to play old games from now on

- The Last Remnant
- Dead Rising 3

I really wanted to play Dark Souls or Witcher 1 or 2 from start to finish, but there's no way I'll be able to finish them in time... ;_;

I'd cross off Just Cause 2 as if it hasn't clicked then it won't ever will. Crysis 2 is the game to choose if you want to bathe in graphics tech, but as zky said, all things considered, Metro 2033 is the probably the pick of the bunch.

Corpekata

Banned
Zoe > whatshisface.

He's always been the weak link of the player characters in that series, I was actually kinda surprised they brought him back.

AHA-Lambda

Zoe > whatshisface.

He's always been the weak link of the player characters in that series, I was actually kinda surprised they brought him back.

Agreed, but had to his story was on s cliffhanger too.

I admit I'm new to the series and really loved TLJ and enjoyed Dreamfall but Chapters episode 1 was perfunctory beyond the introduction, hope it picks up.

baterism

I'm not talking "not my taste", what power of no would be used if ever given, so no.
I actually mean what I said - garbage: joke additions, not fully realised games sometimes not even concepts, something that looks like done by a drunk 5 year old, etc.
And there is no power of people at this point, people vote for what's in bundles and don't ever check greenlight otherwise and I see why.
Only exceptions are: MMOs, free to play games, well known games that for some reason end up on greenlight or successful kickstarters that again are well known.
Even a good looking games with palyable demo don't get enought votes these days, that shows how nobody except 300-400 people bother with greenlight, it's amount of votes more interesting games usually have and it stops there, unless they end in a bundle, as I said.
Well, some still get greenlit, but it takes really long time to collect required votes and it not always happen.

I won't argue that the games are garbage. As a game dev myself, seeing turds getting rewarded is painful. But that's the outcome from community involvement, something that we asked with Greenlight.
People get manipulated is part of freedom, sadly, or that how I see freedom at least. Greenlight is build upon idealistic utopia where those who vote have good taste and those who get voted are responsible devs. This doesn't work as planned of course. Valve in this part, imho, vastly overestimate the "maturity" of their community and sincerity of the devs.
If only the community isn't so gullible and throwing "yes" for promise of free key for garbage games, or "no" has power to push out garbage games out of Steam. We might have better system.
But giving "no" power will also result in possible abuse. If a legit game or gamedev get hated by some part of community (let say neoGaf favourite: GG), I'm sure the "no" will be abused.
In short, we asked for freedom, but we are not ready. I'm not sure adding moderation will help. People will just see it as "Valve nannying them". Just see the uproar when Hatred get pulled.
Honestly, I don't know what to think about Greenlight. In one hand it help legit indies, but in other hand it also "help" unsavory ones.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Dear SteamGAF,

- The Last Remnant
- Dead Rising 3

You can finish The Witcher 2 in under 30 hours. It is a short game.

zkylon

zkylewd
i know it's not the same but i really disliked the longest journey

i don't understand what people saw in that game

are we talking personal preferences now? Because the Last Remnant is the best in that list. ;)

Godmace already tried Metro couple of times? I don't see it working third time, tbh

i mean dark souls and the witcha games are the best on that list by far but you know, tlr is ok

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The recently-released Trigger DLC for Alien Isolation has finally been added to the Season Pass-related subs.

Thanks, guys. I'd be willing to give Metro a third chance since I've never actually ventured beyond the fourth chapter IIRC, it just was always sidetracked by other games and I stopped playing :lol

However, I forgot to add Binary Domain to the list... And I think I'm really going to play that one, and maybe Crysis 2 after that. I thought it was a longer game, but HLTB says it should take less tan 20 hours to 100% it, so why not!

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks, guys. I'd be willing to give Metro a third chance since I've never actually ventured beyond the fourth chapter IIRC, it just was always sidetracked by other games and I stopped playing :lol

However, I forgot to add Binary Domain to the list... And I think I'm really going to play that one, and maybe Crysis 2 after that. I thought it was a longer game, but HLTB says it should take less tan 20 hours to 100% it, so why not!

binary domain is pretty fun in like a very stupid kind of way

it's a decent choice

MadGear

Just don't judge Binary Domain because of its tutorial level which is just plain bad and somewhat odd. The gunplay in that game doesn't feel as refined as you might want it to be but its more than serviceable enough so that you can actually enjoy the game overall and to my own surprise I ended up liking this game a lot. However you really need to play this game with a gamepad because this game is a prime example of messed up mouse controls (the faster you move your mouse the slower the crosshair moves).

_hekk05

Banned
Just don't judge Binary Domain because of its tutorial level which is just plain bad and somewhat odd. The gunplay in that game doesn't feel as refined as you might want it to be but its more than serviceable enough so that you can actually enjoy the game overall and to my own surprise I ended up liking this game a lot. However you really need to play this game with a gamepad because this game is a prime example of messed up mouse controls (the faster you move your mouse the slower the crosshair moves).

Binary domain is great imo

Enemies were slightly too bullet spongy, but the game was great

MadGear

Binary domain is great imo

Enemies were slightly too bullet spongy, but the game was great

Not disagreeing at all! As I said I really enjoyed this game. I actually didn't mind the bullet spongy enemies since I prefer them to the modern approach to shooters where enemies drop once they get blinded by the muzzle flash. Also headshots still drop enemies fairly quickly and even cause them to attack their former allies which allows you to set up further headshots more easily.

ExoSoul

Banned
The idea behind Social Justice Warrior is a good one but the execution doesn't deliver, also I feel like the game just isn't for me.

And then there's the matter of what's actually happening in the game, now I don't know if it's deliberate but not only do both sides come of as incredibly naïve they also say some very stupid things from now and then which I guess is fine for the trolls since you fight plenty of them so some character fluctuation is fine but when your own character supposedly makes a sharp remark the turn before and then the turn after just says something completely ididotic that doesn't help with the consistency of the character.

One could say that it's on purpose and that it's the game trying to show that everyone is flawed but it doesn't strike me as that being the case.

For a game that's about sending a message most of the time you're not really sure what the game is trying to tell you and even tho some might defend this because "oh the game is trying to make you think for yourself" that's just wrong. When you're trying to say something about a topic make sure your point comes across.
We are aware that SJWs exist and everything that comes with it so a game that comes out with a message regarding it and that message ends up being "they exist and there's stuff about it" is overly redundant.

On that regard it's kinda why I had a gripe with BioShock Infinite and still don't like it very much, before the release they made us aware that they were going to touch the topic of racism and when the game releases you see that all they did was acknowledge that it exists and that it's a bad thing. Thank you but I already know that, you're not really bringing me a new prospective or insight on the subject. And they just did it in the most obvious "do you want to be the good guy or bad guy" manner too which further lessens the message they're trying to say.

*sigh* thanks for letting me vent a bit.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Xelios is playing Two Worlds right now. What mad magic can compel a man to play such filth.

I actually enjoyed it many years ago when I first played it on Xbox 360, enough to unlock all but one achievement. I decided last month I wanted to replay it, played approximately 10 minutes before I was subsequently mauled to death by the first bear I encountered and learned a valuable lesson about the power of nostalgia before idling the game for cards. I can only assume I was a significantly more patient and forgiving person when I originally played it.

Headstrong Games (House of the Dead: Overkill, Batallion Wars, Art Academy) have announced three new projects for PC and Console. (Mostly dead) thread about it:

We&#8217;re very proud to announce our new game, Seeker. It&#8217;s an action RPG set in space with lots of tech, aliens, plasma weapons and, of course, loot! It&#8217;s been a manic few weeks getting it ready to show at GDC but we&#8217;re finally there and it feels good to be heading out to the show with something we really believe in. There&#8217;s a video and some screen shots here to give you an idea of the game-play and setting. We&#8217;ll be updating the blog regularly with more info as the development progresses.

4 player co-op etc, sounds pretty cool

Platforms: PC and console

Seeker_014.png

Seeker_010.png

Seeker_015.png

SEEKER_SELECTION_SCREEN.jpg

Seeker_000.png

SEEKER_INV_CS.jpg

Headstrong website + trailer

Looks like they just updated their website with three more projects:

SNO (PC and Console)

Clear the ice and snow that have blanketed your world. Encounter and defeat mysterious ice demons intent on holding back Spring. Discover ancient secrets and paths through the frozen wasteland as the Gods guide you on your journey.

SNO toys with your expectations, leaving you wondering whether you&#8217;re a dead soul raised to tend a magical land, or an android designed to repair a deserted spacecraft. As you emerge from your grave-like stasis chamber, it&#8217;s apparent a catastrophe has occurred &#8211; the world is carpeted in a thick layer of snow. As you clear the ice and snow, you reveal verdant patches of grass that catch the light and start to fend off the creeping frost.

sno01.jpg

sno02.jpg

sno03.jpg

Constructobots (PC and Console)

Video showing off customization possibilities

Design and build ever-more powerful robots, adventure and battle through dangerous, alien worlds and seek out new components to extend your powers. Whether you&#8217;re going it alone or playing with friends, your mission is clear...

Constructobots is an expandable, digital download title, where you can purchase packs of components, the latest robot designs and challenging new environments that deepen and extend your involvement with the game.

bots01.jpg

bots02.jpg

bots03.jpg

Jawmuncher

I actually enjoyed it many years ago when I first played it on Xbox 360, enough to unlock all but one achievement. I decided last month I wanted to replay it, played approximately 10 minutes before I was subsequently mauled to death by the first bear I encountered and learned a valuable lesson about the power of nostalgia before idling the game for cards. I can only assume I was a significantly more patient and forgiving person when I originally played it.

I know a few people who oddly enough enjoyed Two Worlds as well. Much like you it was much farther back and more than likely playing it now probably wouldn't happen. I have a similar story for TW2. Played a good bit but took a break. Ended up coming back to it and gave up in 5 minutes. Ant men killed me and when trying to figure out the controls I pulled off the lamest kick attack of all time. I laughed so hard I turned of the Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom