• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge thanks to my buddy dante81 here as well. Surprised me with DX:HR yesterday out of the blue! What a great guy :)
[]http://abload.de/img/acrcxu33.jpg[/IMG]
tumblr_inline_mll63bxwna00.gif
But you haven't even played Unity for reals? Why buy Rogue so quick. It's not like it is a candidate for vanishing from Steam.
You could get it for so much cheaper by waiting only a little bit!
The Talos Principle finished. I have found all stars, all sigils and i think all endings.
This is really, really, really good game. I can't find any bad things to say about this game. Everything from story to gameplay is done right. If you love puzzle games this one is must have. Easily 20+ hours of brain gymnastics :D
I willingly didn't watch reviews or videos about this so I am intrigued but at the same time don't really have a clue what it is about, hah.
I'm shocked Ubisoft found a way to give us full DS4 touchpad support on PC with Far Cry 4 (and I think Ass Creed). I hope this becomes a regular thing with 3rd party titles.
Wow that is a great thing of them to do. Now if only all games would allow to switch icons between xbox and playstation ones.
At least you still have functionality. I haven't been able to even access the client for the last three weeks because of the beta updates don't play nice with my OS (XP - don't judge).
My keys-to-enter backlog keeps growing and I currently have no way to access the client. The online workarounds didn't even do anything, so I'm stuck until the next full build is released.
Win XP? Holy smokes! I have very bad memories of constant lock-ups and crashes with my time using it. Man it crashed a lot.
Younger people should have mandatory usage of old OS to see how great new ones actually are.
That damn task manager even constantly crashed, haha.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So it appears that Steam just blacklisted a lot of popular domains from being linked on people's profiles, in comments, dev announcements, and in reviews. So far I've noticed that Reddit and DeviantArt are among these, but I'm sure there are others as well.

NeoGAF is safe, for now

EDIT: apparently on the app pages as well:

That one used to link to Gamespot. Yikes.

This has to be a bug. If you click on a direct link to a steam screenshot, it blocks the link entirely:

i19Q9R8VOoutp.png

You'd think they'd have their own servers in the clear, even in the event of a full-out 'scorched earth' policy.

The Blacklist is so popular it's now on Steam. Wonderful!

This makes me wonder how many of their support tickets involve phishing or scam-related problems. I bet it's a lot. The intent is certainly appreciated.

Corpekata

Banned
Wonder if the "update like 50 of my games" thing is related to Steamcleaner. Just updated one and launched it and it did the first time install stuff. Maybe there's been some sort of Steam update that checks for those files?

Kifimbo

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

UFO: Aftermath -- MB-3189AE39BAB0BED8 - Taken by autoduelist

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lain linked Tokyo Dark on Square Enix Collective, and I perked up and was like "oh yeah, Square Enix Collective, I wonder what happened with that"

- Square Enix Collective was announced on October 8th, 2013 as a service that would help you run a pre-Kickstarter and if people vote for your game, SE would help you out with a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo campaign, perhaps publish you or offer money, and maybe even let you use some of their IP.
- It's been 15 months since the service launched
- On October 31st, 2014, they "filled all their slots" for the year and suspended submissions. On Jan 12, 2015 they "reopened submissions". On January 18, 2015, they "filled all their slots" for Q1 2015.

- A maximum of 87 projects have been submitted in the 15 months the service has been live. (you can tell because the first project on the service has ID 5 and the most recent one has ID 93)
- Of those, 35 appear to have actually created Square Enix Collective pages. (all the other ID numbers give you errors)
- Of those, 26 have been voted on and got at least 50% yes votes.
- 4 are currently being voted on.
- I found two postmortems about how many votes you get. One was from a very successful game, which got ~250 votes. One was from a very unsuccessful game, which got ~100 votes. So no one is actually viewing or voting on the games. This is despite Square Enix's main news feed and social media people highlighting new projects, and despite the fact that voting is free and quick. And despite the fact that Square Enix producers are assigned to promote the games. Multiple times. Campaigns last 3 weeks, so that's an average of 3-10 votes per day.
- Of the games which were on SE Collective, 7 have gone on to launch some sort of crowdfunding campaign (with or without Square Enix)

Here are those projects, and how they did:
Code:
Moon Hunters			178,986 of 45,000 CAD
World War Machine		12,381 of 50,000	
Black the Fall			28,485 out of 25,000
Eternal Desert Sunshine		$50 out of $15,000	
Krum				299 out of 5,000 Euro
Goetia				In Progress, $18,202 with 13 days to go, might make it
Blood Star			422 out of 3,000 GBP

Highlighted those that have succeeded.

0 of the games have been released.

Most of the games I've checked on have not updated since their Collective campaigns. Maybe this is because they are working on crowdfunding pitches or development behind the scenes, maybe it's because the projects are abandoned.

... So, having said all this, I don't get Square Enix Collective. It's not drawing additional eyes. It doesn't appear to be helping crowdfunding success or numbers. No one has used Square/Enix IPs yet. It's not for direct development support. Supposedly SE producers are helping people shape their funding campaigns, and I think that's valuable, but where's the dividends? People are being paid to work on this service, and I don't understand who they're bringing value to. Maybe I haven't given the service enough time, but I'm just not seeing it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there a way to filter games by partial controller support? I use BPM mode and something like Dark Souls doesnt show up when I browse controller games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One of the producers on the Collective project has a Gamasutra blog. His first post bragged about how popular the announcement was, 250,000+ pageviews. Then there's a post about adding Kickstarter support because initially it was only IndieGoGo (possibly a response to World War Machine failing?). Then there's a post giving tips on how to make a successful SE Collective pitch. Then there's a post about the value SE Collective adds in July 2014... then nothing.

So the value it adds is the "Team Assessment", which is basically a short 2-3 page document that you put on your Crowdfunding campaign saying "Square Enix audited us, we are who we say we are, this is the level of development we're at.*

* Square Enix is not responsible for the developers taking your money and running." Actual Square Enix staffers including producers and programmers and directors take part in this process and attach their names to this document.

Moon Hunters had a team assessment. World War Machine had a team assessment. Goetia had a team assessment. The others didn't, so I'm guessing either they were doing their crowdfunding without Square Enix (in which case, what's the point of this service again?) or Square Enix didn't do Team Assessments. Black The Fall has a Square Enix Collective logo on its KS page, but no Team Assessment. Here's what Goetia's Team Assessment looks like. Is this something that you think would add value to your Kickstarter? Is it likely that funders would a) click the link to go to these documents, and b) that these assessments would lower the "risk" of pledging for consumers?

Let me put it this way. Assume that 100% of all the KS revenue generated by the successful KSes can be attributed to Square Enix. That's a crazy assumption, as I suspect Moon Hunters would have been wildly successful anyway, but we'll pretend it's true. That's a $207,000 value add to the indie ecosystem. I think we can get behind that. But how much did it cost to build Collective? How much staff time? Three or four full-time people are going to get you to costs (including benefits, office space, etc) that exceed the maximum possible value add. SE could have come up with a program where they just gave $15,000 a month to a single producer and told him "in your spare time, outside work hours, donate this to promising looking KickStarters", and the same amount of money would be funnelled to indie developers at the same cost for Square Enix. Now imagine the reality where SEC's contributions to those KSes (both from the value add of the assessment and the pre-funding tips about designing your campaign and the marketing/promotion value) are actually much smaller than the full totals of money those projects took in.

Amzin

My updates for all games have been staggered like that for a while now. I think that's just how they do it anymore.

louiedog

I just played through the first section of The Talos Principle and it's really, really good. I'd heard good things, but so far I'm enjoying it much more than I expected. The last 30+ minutes that I played were filled me saying, "just one more puzzle" and I'm looking forward to going back in.

My updates for all games have been staggered like that for a while now. I think that's just how they do it anymore.

Yeah I just 4 12.8MB updates and there seems to be another 9! scheduled over the next few hours. Seems like something is up, or broken.

My Let's Play of Hyperdimension Neptunia running Durante's resolution fix. Rendering at 5120x2880 downsampling to 1920x1080:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJmamKcvQs
Had the game crash after the third or fourth battle.
The start and the dialogue was really funny. But the actual gameplay didn't grab me sadly.
You played it in 4K but it doesn't look like a very detailed game visually, so I am not sure if the differences are that big?
Looks pretty fun though, nice video as usual.

Cerity

I would be curious in seeing other's go to games list if you organize them somehow.

Here's my current:

dFAVjIM.png

Everything else is closed so I don't get distracted. I'll open up multi for when I want to play with friends or strategy/4x when I feel like sitting down and sluggng out an 8 hr+ game of something. Going through TitS right now.

Resident Evil HD Remaster is $14.99 on GMG for VIP deals. Is it safe to assume that if any 20% site vouchers come up in the near future, it won't stack with it?

Blizzard

Banned
Did anyone get a random "Is this still your current email address" banner in Steam recently? It happened just now out of the blue and I wasn't sure if I should be concerned if someone was trying to access my account or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom