• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win XP? Holy smokes! I have very bad memories of constant lock-ups and crashes with my time using it. Man it crashed a lot.
Younger people should have mandatory usage of old OS to see how great new ones actually are.
That damn task manager even constantly crashed, haha.

Mine's very stable, though. I've been using it consistently for 11 years without a problem. As of late, the only issue I have is that I have to shut down Windows Explorer every couple of days, but other than that, it's a tank. Works for everything I need, even (some) games.

It worked fine with Steam too, but their last update caused some kind of bug between XP and the SteamUI.dll file, so I'm out of luck until they release the next version. I believe I read somewhere that 6-8% of Steam users still have XP.

Miguel81

Voted for Tokyo Dark.

My real wish it to get the Sega CD version of Snatcher, and the PSOne version of Policenatus on Steam. Pipe dream, as Konami STILL haven't even released Symphony of the Night which is one of their more popular titles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Huge thanks to my buddy dante81 here as well. Surprised me with DX:HR yesterday out of the blue! What a great guy :)

But you haven't even played Unity for reals? Why buy Rogue so quick. It's not like it is a candidate for vanishing from Steam.
You could get it for so much cheaper by waiting only a little bit!

It's not going to get cheaper on Steam itself, which is the only store that is selling the Steam version. I'll be done with Unity by the time it releases.

Tizoc

Shovel Knight is wicked, if any of you are ParentGAFs, did you let your kids play it?

well yea if it's not an upgrade then no but if it is, i'll sadly pay for my enemy placements ;_;

i1Bwdnr4IHKPM.png

ihNvKWUSzMJ12.gif

cake buddies!

Curious, who is this lady you peeps keep posting gifs of?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shovel Knight is wicked, if any of you are ParentGAFs, did you let your kids play it?

My son got it on his 3DS and beat it in 4 hours. Was legit proud.
He's almost 15 though.

Haven't played anything recently, but I did a lot of reading during my trip. Witcher 1 and 2 are basically love letters written to the novels, after some time reading, a lot of references in the game suddenly made sense, and will no doubt make the games even more enjoyable during replays. I suggest everyone take some time and read those books.
well yea if it's not an upgrade then no but if it is, i'll sadly pay for my enemy placements ;_;
:/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought Batman: AC when it was 24.99, and played it for the first time when it was 4.99. I'm not perfect either.

I bought an Nvidia key for Arkham City prior to release but never really got into the game. This was months before I caught the collecting bug, too, so at the time I felt like I wasted $30 or however much it was.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I bought an Nvidia key for Arkham City prior to release but never really got into the game. This was months before I caught the collecting bug, too, so at the time I felt like I wasted $30 or however much it was.
Collecting. Not even once.

But you've since played and appreciated it.

right

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

DocSeuss

While the whole "waifu"-thing actually started as a joke on 4chan...
... people got too obsessed.

Fuck, I love anime and manga since more than 15 years, but I would say "new fans" are actually the ones who take it too far and I am still sure part of the reason is because often those people do not have many social contacts and interactions and this hobby is more like an escape from the RL.
That is at least my impression I got from going to conventions and talking about this hobby with other people.

The new fans have really been bugging me the past couple of years. The quality of anime feels like it's gone down tremendously, the style and variation is lacking... heck, most of the recommendations I've seen are generally "oh this has twists/does ridiculous stuff so it's great" things. Not, y'know, legitimately great anime/manga, but stuff that has a cool idea and maybe some mystery or cat & mouse game to drive it on, like Death Note or Attack on Titan or whatever. Stuff that's not particularly great but is flashy enough to draw attention.

Get your steam account hacked intentionally.

And then start up a new account to buy everything again. :p

Only purchase what you really want? It's worked for me, at least.

Edit: Unless you want everything, which is a problem with no solution. :(

It'll never end. Bundles are too tempting.

I should probably change it to "shopping" then. I'm probably part of the 80-95%. XD

Which is hopefully a long time from now.

Chariot

The new fans have really been bugging me the past couple of years. The quality of anime feels like it's gone down tremendously, the style and variation is lacking... heck, most of the recommendations I've seen are generally "oh this has twists/does ridiculous stuff so it's great" things. Not, y'know, legitimately great anime/manga, but stuff that has a cool idea and maybe some mystery or cat & mouse game to drive it on, like Death Note or Attack on Titan or whatever. Stuff that's not particularly great but is flashy enough to draw attention.
There are still as many high quality anime as there were in the past. It's not like any season in the past pushed out top hits like a carpet bomber. This is a perception problem, since before the new millenium it was far more difficult for westerns to access anime and we mostly got what was good enough to arrive in the west by itself. When people call examples for the greatness of the past, they usually pick wildly from thirty decades of anime to put them against 2-3 years of modern anime.

To make a point:

There are still as many high quality anime as there were in the past. It's not like any season in the past pushed out top hits like a carpet bomber. This is a perception problem, since before the new millenium it was far more difficult for westerns to access anime and we mostly got what was good enough to arrive in the west by itself. When people call examples for the greatness of the past, they usually pick wildly from thirty decades of anime to put them against 2-3 years of modern anime.

To make a point:
I was literally going to post exactly this. You can still find a good show or two every season if you look around, even if you are really picky.

_hekk05

Banned

Attack on Titan is good? It's interesting, sure, but the author has written himself into a weird spot, relying on shocking revelations instead of an unfolding plot. Putting it on the same level as death note, which was well developed in terms of characters, plot and intrigue, is an insult to death note.

/smugloliface

While the waifu thing might have been taken a bit too far, I assure you otakus were going crazy about their waifus before it happened. The anime/manga industry has driven itself into a corner, with most of its revenue coming from fans who purchase copious amounts of LEs, not unlike in gaming, as well as figurines and other merch.

Unlike anime, gaming do have enough of a more casual audience to sustain sales outside of the "hardcore", and the "hardcore" rarely make up most of its revenue. In contrast, the "hardcore" make up most of the revenue in anime/manga (but mostly anime). This has led to a surge in content more primarily catered to type B audiences, who generally value characters (muh waifu), instead of type A audiences, who generally value plot. Because character figurines/merch sells. And they sell a lot.

There's been a recent trend of japanese web novels being adapted for manga. Unlike the light novel scene, web novels tend to focus more on plot. For a written form (without illustrators to pump out moe book covers) to succeed, it generally has enough of a plot to keep its audience interested. The market is slowly trying to adapt itself to cater more to type A audiences.

Eventually though, anime has to fix its lack of creativity. Too often are animes merely adaptations of manga or light novels, and rarely do we see animes with original content. The current practice of adapting a popular manga or a light novel for an existing audience is seriously limiting its creativity.

To conclude, your favourite anime is shit. SHIIIIIIIIT

Let us seek Jesus and dinosaurs instead.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fist Of Jesus #2 -- MB-FBBA5ABEB4128787 - Taken by derExperte. 8 entrants total.
Fist Of Jesus #3 -- MB-945EC1E0AEC62389 - Taken by ExoSoul. 8 entrants total.
Primal Carnage #2 -- MB-51114362BB72E1D9 - Taken by wilflare. 6 entrants total.
Primal Carnage #3 -- MB-DF5587B157B9D51B - Taken by agniswarm. 5 entrants total.
Fist Of Jesus -- MB-A62B9DC3A299543B - Taken by dot. 9 entrants total.
Primal Carnage -- MB-FF375F2EBB3014F9 - Taken by Conrad Link. 4 entrants total.

t1423310059z1.png

I was literally going to post exactly this. You can still find a good show or two every season if you look around, even if you are really picky.

I agree. There's usually something good every every one or two seasons.

Elija2

gsT9yQJ.png

So the Complete edition costs less than the standard edition but comes with less stuff. Are their names supposed to be switched around or something? And the Complete edition is 30 bucks on GMG VIP which is more than it is on Steam (unless again their names on Steam are supposed to be switched around).

Help, I'm confused.

Tizoc

To make a point:

Yet majority of anime that Japan pumps out are moe stuff, harem, and fanservice nonsense.

Chariot

Happen to know the names of some of the anime on the right side? More specifically the top left, bottom left, top right, and the mecha shows?
I just post them in order:

row 1: Saraiya Goyou, Kids on the Slope, Space Brothers, Hellsing Ultimate
row 2: Fate/Zero, Jormungand, Puella Magi Madoka, Mardock Scramble
row 3: Usagi Drop, Rainbow, x, Bakemonogatari
row 4: Psycho-Pass, Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
row 5: Hyouge Mono, x, Kids on the Slope, Kaiji

Sadly I can't answer you most of the things you asked because those are the shows I did not watch. Sorry, but maybe someone else can complete.
Yet majority of anime that Japan pumps out are moe stuff, harem, and fanservice nonsense.
Yes. In what industry is the majority of products high level?
And please don't just look at the pretty picture and my text too. Past anime wasn't a paradise machine that made fourty perfect anime series per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom