• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Did anyone get a random "Is this still your current email address" banner in Steam recently? It happened just now out of the blue and I wasn't sure if I should be concerned if someone was trying to access my account or what.

I think steam is in the middle of a nervous breakdown

Did anyone get a random "Is this still your current email address" banner in Steam recently? It happened just now out of the blue and I wasn't sure if I should be concerned if someone was trying to access my account or what.

I've had it happen from time to time. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

xBladeM6x

dFAVjIM.png

Everything else is closed so I don't get distracted. I'll open up multi for when I want to play with friends or strategy/4x when I feel like sitting down and sluggng out an 8 hr+ game of something. Going through TitS right now.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a "Games To Finish" category.
29-9f8f03df60fc202f468f87a488e6cc85.jpg

Lain

One of the producers on the Collective project has a Gamasutra blog. His first post bragged about how popular the announcement was, 250,000+ pageviews. Then there's a post about adding Kickstarter support because initially it was only IndieGoGo (possibly a response to World War Machine failing?). Then there's a post giving tips on how to make a successful SE Collective pitch. Then there's a post about the value SE Collective adds in July 2014... then nothing.

So the value it adds is the "Team Assessment", which is basically a short 2-3 page document that you put on your Crowdfunding campaign saying "Square Enix audited us, we are who we say we are, this is the level of development we're at.*

* Square Enix is not responsible for the developers taking your money and running." Actual Square Enix staffers including producers and programmers and directors take part in this process and attach their names to this document.

Moon Hunters had a team assessment. World War Machine had a team assessment. Goetia had a team assessment. The others didn't, so I'm guessing either they were doing their crowdfunding without Square Enix (in which case, what's the point of this service again?) or Square Enix didn't do Team Assessments. Black The Fall has a Square Enix Collective logo on its KS page, but no Team Assessment. Here's what Goetia's Team Assessment looks like. Is this something that you think would add value to your Kickstarter? Is it likely that funders would a) click the link to go to these documents, and b) that these assessments would lower the "risk" of pledging for consumers?

Let me put it this way. Assume that 100% of all the KS revenue generated by the successful KSes can be attributed to Square Enix. That's a crazy assumption, as I suspect Moon Hunters would have been wildly successful anyway, but we'll pretend it's true. That's a $207,000 value add to the indie ecosystem. I think we can get behind that. But how much did it cost to build Collective? How much staff time? Three or four full-time people are going to get you to costs (including benefits, office space, etc) that exceed the maximum possible value add. SE could have come up with a program where they just gave $15,000 a month to a single producer and told him "in your spare time, outside work hours, donate this to promising looking KickStarters", and the same amount of money would be funnelled to indie developers at the same cost for Square Enix. Now imagine the reality where SEC's contributions to those KSes (both from the value add of the assessment and the pre-funding tips about designing your campaign and the marketing/promotion value) are actually much smaller than the full totals of money those projects took in.

It does seem that their plan for the collective to bring a certain level of visibility to interesting projects (and in case of success, take that little cut) didn't pan out the way they expected.
I'll have to admit though that being backed by SE, as flimsy as it is in the case of the collective, did fill me with a (wrong?) sense of security when backing Goetia, for example. The demo for that game was what pushed me to pledge ultimately, but the collective part is what made me feel like the project was worth at least some attention.
Which I guess is also working for Tokyo Dark, as I've learned about it only because of the email SE sent me and I'm already thinking about pledging money toward it if it reaches the KS stage because being on the collective gives me this false sense of security.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It does seem that their plan for the collective to bring a certain level of visibility to interesting projects (and in case of success, take that little cut) didn't pan out the way they expected.
I'll have to admit though that being backed by SE, as flimsy as it is in the case of the collective, did fill me with a (wrong?) sense of security when backing Goetia, for example. The demo for that game was what pushed me to pledge ultimately, but the collective part is what made me feel like the project was worth at least some attention.
Which I guess is also working for Tokyo Dark, as I've learned about it only because of the email SE sent me and I'm already thinking about pledging money toward it if it reaches the KS stage because being on the collective gives me this false sense of security.

Yeah I'm not doubting that there are people out there whose attention are being drawn to the projects. That much seems evident enough. I'm just questioning whether that's a significant group of people (those vote tallies are not inspiring, neither is the KS success record), and certainly whether it's a group of people that justifies the resource investment.

Maniac

Banned
If she hates asking for money she mayyyybeeee could've chosen a few cheaper components. And I'm not talking about the 970 alone. I smell bullshit. Big piles of bullshit.
Looks like shit, feels like shit, smells like shit and tastes like shit.

I think it might be shit.

I'm no shit expert though.

She needs a 970 to do graphic and web design? I mean, I know some graphic designers and they all swear by Macs, claiming they do graphic rendering better than PCs (but hey, they could be bullshitting me for all I know.) But wow, I had no idea graphic design required that much processing power.

Eh, even a 500 series will do really well with the newest incarnations of Adobe software, and it'll be more than enough with a recent i3.

Sauce: I'm an in-training one, my cousin is a designer and several of my good mates are aswell. :p
I have vision problems. Give me money so I can build my own Large Pixel Collider pls.

I've had 3 eye-surgeries in my right eye due to severe Keratoconus.

Can I get in on this?

EA, games, too hard?

I mean, if EA is talking about games that aren't developed by themselves, I suppose they may have a point in a few niche, edge-cases such as Souls and Souls-inspired games and roguelikes.

Other than that, it's just EA being EA and thinking that the more they dumb it down the more they'll sell.

And CDPR... <'3

autoduelist

Anybody else read a lot of books but dislike a lot of reading in games?

Absolutely. I can devour thousand page books, but having to click through even a few lines of dialog gets annoying fast. I think it's mostly because I'm simply not in the mood to read when I sit down to game.

Maniac

Banned
Absolutely. I can devour thousand page books, but having to click through even a few lines of dialog gets annoying fast. I think it's mostly because I'm simply not in the mood to read when I sit down to game.

There's also the fact that a lot of games' writing is simply hugely lacking. But ofcourse, the big difference is that a book can't really be a good book if it's not well-written, but a game can still be good, great or even excellent with shoddy writing or just an entire lack of writing.

Ofcourse, if I wanted to read a good story, I would in most cases... Sit down with one of my many good books. But some games are the exception for me. Sunless Sea seems to be one such exception.

So Gofundme is the new begging?
Btw. this PC doesnt seem like its a PC for graphic-design, but for gaming...

And if you really are a web/graphic-designer, wouldnt you already have a PC? I mean. Its like if you say "I am a craftsman. I dont have a power drill and a hammer."

Cth

There's also the fact that a lot of games' writing is simply hugely lacking. But ofcourse, the big difference is that a book can't really be a good book if it's not well-written, but a game can still be good, great or even excellent with shoddy writing or just an entire lack of writing.

Ofcourse, if I wanted to read a good story, I would in most cases... Sit down with one of my many good books. But some games are the exception for me. Sunless Sea seems to be one such exception.

Reminds me of when Lost Odyssey came out.. people wanted a JRPG for the 360 and they got one, and it had a lot of text and well.. :D

Cerity

Anybody else read a lot of books but dislike a lot of reading in games?

Depends on how the text is displayed really. Instantly displayed, not too much at one time is good. Anything else I find trash.

Another thing is when text tells instead of the game showing you what is happening. It's a game goddamit, it's something you can animate.

Maniac

Banned
So Gofundme is the new begging?

Btw. this PC doesnt seem like its a PC for graphic-design, but for gaming...

Yeah. A good wacom tablet? Pff, screw that. A motherboard created for high-power overclocking, a GPU that's good for overclocking, a CPU that's a gamers wet dream with a cooler that's quite good for moderate overclocking and a PSU with a lot of power overhead... An expensive, high-end gamer-grade SSD and a 2TB WD Black? It's a high-end gaming PC, only without the whole 'paying for it' part.

I'd honestly be surprised to find out this was legit and run by an actual female. :p

Also just noticed the monitor.

That shit is not a good graphics design monitor, that's gaming through & through. And that Corsair RGB... Jeez. If you're going to make a scam, atleast make it believeable.

I did get a good laugh though, so I suppose it was worth my time.
Reminds me of when Lost Odyssey came out.. people wanted a JRPG for the 360 and they got one, and it had a lot of text and well.. :D

"Eww, this is a JRPG? We don't want this! Eww!"

quick edit: I'm off for tonight, it's 4 in the morning. Woops. Have a good one peeps! :)

Kagemusha

I use the categories more as a tag system for features so I can get a quick review of features when I am in detail view. When I am looking at a game on detail view I can quickly see the genre, year I bought the game, if it supports a gamepad, if it needs a frame limiter, and if it has ever been played, and how long it will take me to download it. Also helps me keep track where games are installed.

Flight, Arena, Beat Em Up, Card and Board Games, Comedy, FPS, Hack n' Slash, Horror, ISO Shooter, JRPG, WRPG, Open World, Platformer 3D, Point Click, Puzzle, Real Time Dungeons, Real Time Strategy, Rhythym, SHMUP, FOV Makes Me Sick, Side Scroller, Simulation, 2D Platformer, Kinda Like Zelda, Kinda Like Metroid, Sonic, Speed, Stealth, Survival, Top Down, Tower Defense, TPS, Turn Based, Twin Stick Shooter, Visual Novel, Walking Sim, Hidden Object

My Categories look ike this:

Review A
Review B
Review C
Review D

Non-Steam : Origin and Uplay
Non-Steam : GOG

Never Played, Not Installed
Played, Near Begining

Category - Co Op
Category - Deathmatch

Feature - GeDoSaTo
Feature - GFWL
Feature - Workshop / Mods

Genre - Action RPG
Genre - Space Combat
Genre - 4X
Genre - Automotive

Installed Drive C
Installed Drive External

Not Installed - Review A
Not Installed - Review B
Not Installed - Review C
Not Installed - Review D
Not Instaleld - Review F

Installed - Over 10 GB
Installed - Under 500 MB
Not Installed - Over 10 GB
Not Installed - Under 500 MB

Frame Limit needed
Keyboard and Mouse
360 Gamepad Support

Deitus

The idea of having to do something outside of a game to earn an in game achievement is an interesting one, and I remember hearing about this particular achievement a while back for it's uniqueness. But I have to wonder, of all the things they could have had you do, they chose to go with "take a picture of you sharing a cake with your waifu".

zkylon

zkylewd
The idea of having to do something outside of a game to earn an in game achievement is an interesting one, and I remember hearing about this particular achievement a while back for it's uniqueness. But I have to wonder, of all the things they could have had you do, they chose to go with "take a picture of you sharing a cake with your waifu".
hate plus (and analogue: a hate story) is one of the best indie games in recent history, and it's both a celebration and a deconstruction of waifu stereotypes. it's an incredibly meta game with very clever writing and a really honest look into gender issues. it also has other achievements like one for reviving one of the characters that dies in the game (achievement's called level four revive materia) that no one has ever unlocked.

it's a fantastic game, don't be prejudiced only because there are anime characters in it

Annubis

Because we all love baking cakes.

FVojJs1.png

Deitus

it's a fantastic game, don't be prejudiced only because there are anime characters in it

To be clear, I'm not prejudiced against anime characters in games, and I'm not even opposed to the idea of dating sims (I play the Persona games after all).

It's just that some otaku (and western equivalent) take the whole waifu thing a bit to far, and actually talk about them like they are real people, and go on dates and share meals with them. I'm not trying to mock them or anything, but that's just taking it way too far, unless you are being tongue in cheek about it.

I'm sure in the context of this game it's not done seriously, so it's not a big deal or anything. It just seems odd that a game would play to otaku stereotypes so directly.

Because we all love baking cakes.

Nothin' wrong with that.

It's just that some otaku (and western equivalent) take the whole waifu thing a bit to far, and actually talk about them like they are real people, and go on dates and share meals with them. I'm not trying to mock them or anything, but that's just taking it way too far, unless you are being tongue in cheek about it.

While the whole "waifu"-thing actually started as a joke on 4chan...
... people got too obsessed.

Fuck, I love anime and manga since more than 15 years, but I would say "new fans" are actually the ones who take it too far and I am still sure part of the reason is because often those people do not have many social contacts and interactions and this hobby is more like an escape from the RL.
That is at least my impression I got from going to conventions and talking about this hobby with other people.

Corpekata

Banned
Hate Plus isn't normal Otaku bait, and in fact I would argue it IS poking fun at that sort of stuff. Although I think it's probably more poking fun at achievement obsessed weirdos than Waifu weirdos.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be clear, I'm not prejudiced against anime characters in games, and I'm not even opposed to the idea of dating sims (I play the Persona games after all).

I'm sure in the context of this game it's not done seriously, so it's not a big deal or anything. It just seems odd that a game would play to otaku stereotypes so directly.

"A dark visual mystery novel featuring transhumanism, traditional marriage, loneliness, and cosplay."

"Let's spend the next three real-time days together uncovering the mystery of what went horribly wrong on a derelict generation ship, with the help of a spunky/more-than-slightly-traumatized AI sidekick!"

the "hate series" is a game about the point of view of many women that are held back from society in different ways. it also plays to the player's own sense of waifu relationship with the characters, what with the costumes and the trolly achievements.

it's not a game that parodies waifus, for sure, it actually loves waifus in all their silliness

i really recommend it

Hate Plus isn't normal Otaku bait, and in fact I would argue it IS poking fun at that sort of stuff. Although I think it's probably more poking fun at achievement obsessed weirdos than Waifu weirdos.
i think it's poking fun at both, but it's not condemning. it knows those things are silly and that it loves them and it's just turning them on their head

Annubis

The cake scenario at least makes you think twice about saying shit you don't mean in a VN =P

EDIT: the only problem is whenever I play Katawa Shoujo without lying... I end up with Kenji and dead =/

zkylon

zkylewd
interesting rps recommended game of the day is the movies, i was just talking about it with a friend

i would really love a better more realized version of that game

The cake scenario at least makes you think twice about saying shit you don't mean in a VN =P
it's super interesting because sure, you can like advance your clock, but that would be lying

why does lying in that case feel bad? it's a fucking game! and what does it say about people that don't feel bad?

christine love is a crazy mindfucking genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom