• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like really good stuff for metroidvania lovers: Anew: The Distant Light (Greenlight link)

Inspired by classic games like Metroid, Cave Story, and Dark Souls, Anew: The Distant Light will appeal to fans of platforming, combat, exploration, and visual storytelling.

Not your usual asset flip stuff.

Tonton

Playing Assassin's Creed 3, (on uPlay) I find it kinda odd that
Achiles would die doing the Homestead missions
also doing that mission just noticed there is a grave for a Connor Davenport that seem to have died at age twelve (just saw it again it was an 8 not a 3 at the birth date so seven actually
i want to know more about Achiles :(

I am just about ready to finish this game though

besides some boob jiggle, and the overall costumes obviously, theres actually a lot less fan service than I expected after that scene. There's never anything like this for example:

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

which is surprising since its a game about a
gay relationship
afterall and it would be very easy to go overboard with it. Its actually done in a cute way which I apreciated. Just finished it actually, time to get the true ending I guess since it seems the game continues after the end.

How many hours did it take you?

Powerpuff

Enjoy some cheap love for Valentine's Day with some bundle leftovers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Powerpuff, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

8BitBoy -- MB-52D09BE69324B01C - Taken by MaxiLive. 1 entrants total.
BoneBone: Rise of the Deathlord -- MB-F03CA614C5797986 - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.
DISTRAINT -- MB-69F27BE500F97617 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 2 entrants total.
Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-91B4ACC81378D816 - Taken by fifasnipe2224. 2 entrants total.
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-12C6074C32C538E3 - Taken by Belgarion
Heavy Metal Machines -- MB-69BE2F76053BC9E5 - Taken by Dream_Journey. 1 entrants total.
Phoenix Force -- MB-8A6F03468D23713A - Taken by Vuze. 3 entrants total.
Violett Remastered -- MB-22A47D67E24A1C9B - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

t1487096254z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it's honestly sorta weird they add these fan services because they don't seem necessary, both atelier and nights of azure are incredibly cutesy, the fan services are so minor

yup- Also, the illustrations in between chapters for example, when you see Arnice and Lyllysse, they are actually very subdued, they dont have giant breasts and shit. /shrug

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How many hours did it take you?

im at 21 now, doing the post game / true ending stuff. ts weird because it takes you to right before the last boss, but except you going directly to it like normal, it sends you back for more quests and shit... why the fuck isnt this part of the main game I have no idea.

Its like a lost chapter DLC, except its not DLC, its post game semi "NG+" stuff.

edit: dat double post

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-8C9EF9A6DEC17790 - Taken by Ibuki

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
thats alright but I have most (all?) of it

The signal to others that this is an excellent bundle
I have them all too :(

Durante

Wok

Steam reviews are perfectly fine to detect non-functioning games. There is always a nice soul to write a negative review mentioning these problems before asking for a refund.

Knurek

Everything is working fine.
Steam has a refund policy, and people need to take responsibility for what they buy and what they do not buy.

If you want your own freedom to buy crappy shit (or the occasional obscure hidden gem) curtailed, there are other platforms for that.

Have you read the article? It raises some really valid points.
Like the fact a single review is enough to mark the game as Negative. This shouldn't be happening until a bunch of them is submitted.
Also, he doesn't want for Valve to stop adding new games (as far as I understood), he just wants them to test them before adding them to the store. So that the things like bloody missing executable stop happening.

Rhaknar

What game is this anyway?

Nights of Azure.

Speaking of, this post game content is...long. There's a lot more than I expected. And it has a hard as shit boss, much harder than the normal last boss.

I don't see how that's a probelm :3

It's like the opposite of the problem. I'm just trying to maintain my "holding back" position as much as possible. Spending money on games at this point is just pissing in the wind.

Good bundle for folks who don't have those games. I've got about half of them.

Rhaknar

I think this is the first time Legend of the Dark Witch has been bundled, isn't it?

I own it so no :p

What is it with this week and quality bundles left and right, damn.
I wonder if there's going to be a regular Humble Bundle today.

im wondering if there will be a regular bundle and if more stuff will pop up in the freedom one

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I hate that I can never get Out of This World for under 2.50 in sales, now it's in a bundle with a bunch of other games I already own for 2.50.

I guess I should just buy it and have some codes to giveaway, it's one of my favorite games from the SNES era

Nzyme32

Nk29t6z.jpg

VHSX36l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS65y-ocvhg

Happy 5 Year Anniversary, CK2 & Paradox!

Can't believe this game has been getting a steady stream of DLC & gameplay refinements for half a decade.

Its changed so much over the years. Feels like night and day between launch code and the current build.

Talk about commitment to your product.

Still not played enough of CK2 mostly since I found I didn't have the patience to get into it. However, thanks to stellaris, I feel much more confident with taking on CK2 and EU4. So glad Paradox has found success with these games, and hopefully they keep growing as folks like me catch on

Lomax

I wouldn't think they'd do a new bundle and distract from the event bundle, but they may have not been expecting it to hit quite as big as it has, since usually the high priced charity only bundles are garbage.

Tonton

Beat Assassin's Creed 3 at around 25h with 79% completion
The locations aren't as interesting as the previous games and travelling the frontier is kinda annoying but overall i had a good time with it, don't see anything about it that'd make it much worse than the previous ones. I also think i enjoyed the (past) story more than the previous games too, present time was poop.

Going to try the Chronicles games next, any order i should play them?

illusionary

thats alright but I have most (all?) of it

Ditto... though I think that there's probably just about enough for me to justify a purchase (I was vaguely eyeing up We Are The Dwarves when it came up on chrono.gg a day or two ago). I'll have to check my Steam library properly when I get a few moments this evening!

Bundlefest week continues to get more expensive... now we just need another contribution from Humble in a couple of hours' time!

Aaron D.

Still not played enough of CK2 mostly since I found I didn't have the patience to get into it. However, thanks to stellaris, I feel much more confident with taking on CK2 and EU4. So glad Paradox has found success with these games, and hopefully they keep growing as folks like me catch on

I found that really getting into CK2 was a lot like quitting smoking. It took several attempts before it finally stuck.

I think it's difficult because there's so much going on at once, so many sub-systems interacting with each other, that the player feels overwhelmed and gives up early.

The best piece of advise I got for the game, and Paradox Grand Strategy in general, was to think of playing the game as dipping your hand into a running stream. Because the games are real-time and not turn-based, A.I. events will continue to flow all around you. Every A.I. dynasty & vassal will have their own agenda quietly running in the background.

So the best you can do is just dip your hand in the water, altering events slightly but never dramatically altering the general flow of the stream. This took a lot of pressure off my shoulders to just sit back and enjoy the game simulation. The emergent moments. Unlike something like Civ, where the game waits for you to move, CK2 is more about immersing yourself in the world. Set mini or major goals, that's fine. But simply enjoy the game flow even if the game doesn't bend to your every whim.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked an RPS link.

The problem with John Walker's incessant navel gazing about trash games on Steam is that it's rooted in the notion that it's somehow Steam's job to promote good games. It's not. It is a store which will sell games to a massive audience with an unimaginable variety in taste. It's a developer's job to make sure that this audience knows about their game. If 30 bad games release on the same day as the next FTL or RimWorld then surely these games will have no competition with the other 30 right? They're actually competing with the other amazing games that released the day before and will release the day after.

That's the dirty little secret that these essays conveniently skip over when decrying the lack of quality control on Steam. A good game is not competing with a goddamn Unity store asset flip. It is competing with an increasingly competitive and competent indie scene and the simple truth of the matter is that there are going to be winners and losers. Quality is not and has never been a guarantee of success. So when a developer shows up with a good game thinking the world owes them success and they fail, it's easy to point fingers at how Steam never gave them a chance.

And yeah, it sucks that broken games and asset flips are on Steam. They are super easy to ignore. If someone gets duped into buying one of them there's a no questions asked refund policy. And suppose Valve did start curating new games. What exactly is the criteria? That the .exe should launch? That all the controls should work? It's a moving goalpost of what should and shouldn't be allowed. The bad games on the store don't bother anyone because they're mostly ignored. The only people who seem to be bothered by them are those who for some reason cannot ignore them or developers who think that they provide legitimate competition to the indie scene.

Durante

Have you read the article?
No. I stopped giving RPS clicks years ago.

From your description, I also don't need to. Steam is a curation-free store. The refund policy solves all issues related to being a store which does not curate. Any restrictions beyond that on what is sold on Steam -- as long as it is not malware -- are simply not necessary.

Knurek

The refund policy solves all issues related to being a store which does not curate.

Client's fatigue as well?
I know I've stopped checking All New Releases tab. There's just too much crap there.
There's also too much crap in the Popular New Releases.
GAF seems to be the only reliable source for new games I might be interested in. What if it comes down one day?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
My avocado slicer SUCKS. I can't believe Amazon sells such TRASH.

They should only sell the best avocado slicers.

Sure there are plenty of reviews saying the one I bought is garbage, but I ignored them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know I've stopped checking All New Releases tab. There's just too much crap there.
GAF seems to be the only reliable source for new games I might be interested in. What if it comes down one day?

But even Valve are more or less acknowledging that the New Releases tab and Popular New Releases tab are terrible ways to find out about games by putting it at nearly the bottom of the home page. I wouldn't be surprised to see this section gone completely from the next store update honestly.

MUnited83

For you.
Eh, popular new releases have been fine in my end. And we'll, it does the exact job of showing what popular new releases there are.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/14/steam-curation-user-reviews-fixes
So, how much more mismanagement or lack of care can Steam handle before the competitors tear it to pieces?
Never going to happen (steam doesn't even have actual competitors even lol), and it doesn't need to.
Use refunds if you get a dud. Easy.

Hereafter

I hate that I can never get Out of This World for under 2.50 in sales, now it's in a bundle with a bunch of other games I already own for 2.50.

I guess I should just buy it and have some codes to giveaway, it's one of my favorite games from the SNES era

I'm looking only for Dark Witch and We are the Dwarves. Did you want to do some sort of deal?

Edit: I'm in Canada btw, don't know if it makes any difference.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
4d6e52d8cc7f20e119a0a606a8d384bf.png

It's fun surprising people how quickly I respond to people and fix people's issues. Already released a patch I hope helps this person, but to be seen as it might require deeper looking.

I don't understand how so many devs can be so unresponsive on their own personal projects. Big studio deal I can get, but like a one or two man project? My thoughts as a small developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom