• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyoro SF

I pretty much rely exclusively on GAF to help me find games I would want to play on Steam.

Generally people are pretty good at explaining the quality points of a game, combine that with my interests and I find all sorts of interesting titles big and small.

The bigger problem is not that there's too much trash. The problem is that there's too much good quality, and I only have a small amount of time to enjoy it. Both indie developers and major ones have been knocking it out of the park for the past 5 years (including re-releases) and despite my attempts to curate my own gamelog to find games that appeal to my taste I find myself missing out on really good games.

In other news, VA-11 Hall-A really skyrocketed with owners on Steam; was there something I missed recently? I'm really glad that this game is succeeding.

data

I pretty much rely exclusively on GAF to help me find games I would want to play on Steam.

Generally people are pretty good at explaining the quality points of a game, combine that with my interests and I find all sorts of interesting titles big and small.

The bigger problem is not that there's too much trash. The problem is that there's too much good quality, and I only have a small amount of time to enjoy it. Both indie developers and major ones have been knocking it out of the park for the past 5 years (including re-releases) and despite my attempts to curate my own gamelog to find games that appeal to my taste I find myself missing out on really good games.

In other news, VA-11 Hall-A really skyrocketed with owners on Steam; was there something I missed recently? I'm really glad that this game is succeeding.
It was in the top tier of a humble bundle a few weeks ago

It was in a Humble Bundle recently.

I agree with the game quality point. An indie game isn't just competing against games out this month, it's competing against the last ten years of indie game development. That's a tough gig, especially as things look to be gaining momentum, not losing it.

I've never given a shit about shovelware. It didn't bother me on the PS2, didn't bother me on the Wii, and it doesn't bother me on Steam.

Ascheroth

It was in the Humble Overwhelmingly Positive bundle, in the 10$ tier.

Yeah, I'm the same.
There are just soo many great games out, and constantly continuing to come out.
Combine that with insane price/value bundle deals and my library is growing faster than I could ever finish it, while still not actually spending all that much money.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I agree the problem with Steam is there's too much good stuff. There's a sort of myth going that Steam is full of shovelware garbage, but to be honest probably less than 10% of the total Steam library is trash tier. There's some mediocre and such games, but most projects are earnest and so many just go so underlooked. There's a lot of good stuff on Steam.

I just think the 'shovelware trash' issue is honestly overblown, any game that is that gets called out on it pretty quickly, and most everything that releases is an earnest attempt by the developers usually. And a lot of it is even good, a surprising amount is even great, and there's even plenty of amazing titles.

Knurek

I agree the problem with Steam is there's too much good stuff. There's a sort of myth going that Steam is full of shovelware garbage, but to be honest probably less than 10% of the total Steam library is trash tier.

idontbelieveyou.gif

90% of everything is shit. Makes no sense for Steam to be the outlier here.

Nzyme32

Client's fatigue as well?
I know I've stopped checking All New Releases tab. There's just too much crap there.
There's also too much crap in the Popular New Releases.
GAF seems to be the only reliable source for new games I might be interested in. What if it comes down one day?

Do you routinely check the "all new books" page on Amazon?

Kind of hits the nail on the head.

Much like Knurek, the changes to Steam over the years as well as the industry at large on PC and sheer volume of games has changed how I browse. However, with so many such stores, I see no problem at all. There are people that will dig into the new releases tab / popular new releases (something I only pay a passing glance at these days). Many others will not bother, relying on other methods, sites and information that effectively curates their discovery process.

That Steam has to do it all is ridiculous to me. For almost every other industry and service I can think of, a single large volume store front is not my main point of discovery; it's usually a whole bunch of other websites, videos, podcasts, friends, books etc etc

As for super basic checks that games work - yeah that would be nice, but I have no problem being burned, refunding and staying the hell away from such developers (something that has yet to happen bar one occasion, which was a genuine mistake for a small subset of people). However, sometimes it pays to be constructive. Me and about a hundred others had this very issue with Sunless Sea Zubmariner, which was meant to be free for us, but would not function. We had to wait for the situation to be resolved and worked with them, but this ultimately was no issue thanks to the time period of refunds (not neccessary for a free item anyway) and the ability to communicate very well and amicably and my faith in the company already.

These are customer decisions to me - you don't like it, you have every right to feel that way and go else where / use such stores less etc. I feel happy using my own decisions and discovery process to guide me through all this and feel no loss for missing out on some content due to sheer volume, only to discover it later. All that is cool to me

Dusk Golem

idontbelieveyou.gif

90% of everything is shit. Makes no sense for Steam to be the outlier here.

There's personal taste and objectivity here and all that, some people have their bars a lot lower or higher and I might very well have it lower than some, and there are bad games obviously, but I mean games with no effort and just pure quick-churn, garbage, or made for a quick buck is surprisingly low compared to everything else for how big a deal some people make over it.

And there's a lot of good, by a pretty wide margin I'd even argue.

MUnited83

For you.
I agree the problem with Steam is there's too much good stuff. There's a sort of myth going that Steam is full of shovelware garbage, but to be honest probably less than 10% of the total Steam library is trash tier. There's some mediocre and such games, but most projects are earnest and so many just go so underlooked. There's a lot of good stuff on Steam.

I just think the 'shovelware trash' issue is honestly overblown, any game that is that gets called out on it pretty quickly, and most everything that releases is an earnest attempt by the developers usually. And a lot of it is even good, a surprising amount is even great, and there's even plenty of amazing titles.
Yep. Honestly, anyone claiming there are lots of shovelware trash on steam and that it's the only thing they can find is just outing their ignorance and how they don't actually browse steam at all. They just look at Sterling playing shitty games and think that's all there is.

Nabs

Sniper Elite 4 has native Steam Controller API support.

57FEpH6.png

Backlogger

I don't use Steam to find browse and find games/hidden gems, etc. Never have, probably never will. Same with other sites that sell things. I usually come and look for what I already know I want.

The exceptions to this would be for things like daily deals and other sales where I am just looking at a small list of games. Even then though, unless I have already heard about the game from a friend or a website review, my eyes will just pass right over most games.

I would rather have more games than fewer games on Steam especially if the main gripe is that its too hard to browse through them.

Sort of a side topic, but related to this. How do you guys feel about automated curation? I have never trusted it or depended on it. I don't think anyone has really gotten in right in my opinion. And for certain things I don't trust programmers and/or busiensses (sorry!) especially when it comes to things like news to not try to slant the results in some way.

Like TVs telling me what to watch or Amazon telling me what I might want to see. I always ignore that stuff. Its rarely right. I depend on word of mouth and reviews from people I trust rather than some program telling me what I should buy or consume.

Tizoc

WTF GMG.
First you send me a 20% discount coupon for Conan Exiles, and NOW you send me a 23% discount code o_O

Well if anyone wants to use it, just Quote this post, please post if you managed to use it.

louiedog

It says I own the game but in my library there's only the classic one.

It can take a little while to update in your client. Restarting Steam should make it show up immediately. Or try hitting install on the store page and then cancelling, unless you actually do want it installed.

Ludens

Banned
It can take a little while to update in your client. Restarting Steam should make it show up immediately. Or try hitting install on the store page and then cancelling, unless you actually do want it installed.

Another thing: for the vanilla version Machine Pigs released this translation:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2563205
they never bothered to patch the game to include it "oficially", but apparently even this new version is lacking italian subtitles support? Why?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
true ending got. Such a weird decision to leave that to post game, its not even a extra ending, it replaces / adds on the normal ending, and has like 2 more hours of quests, theres no reason why that shouldnt just be part of the normal game, especially when it fleshes out the backstory of some characters. Such a weird decision (not like accessing it is hard or anything).

kionedrik

Since it's part of the co-op bundle, does anyone have any strong feelings regarding Moon Hunters?
It looks lovely but I can't really tell if it's a RPG, a Zelda clone or some sort of action/survival game.

Vuze

This seems like a very nice PC version. 21:9 support, near perfect multi GPU scaling, Steam Controller API... I might just get it right away. Pretty cheap over at GamersGate too.

Knurek

Has Steam Client stopped starting in full screen for anyone else?
It always starts in a window for me, I have to press the maximize button each time I run it, despite closing it correctly before rebooting Windows.
It used to not do that until the last update AFAIR.

Nzyme32

Awesome! Been planning on getting 3 and then 4 since I randomly started playing 2 and found it was a lot of fun. SCAPI support makes it a lot likely that I'll end up with it sooner for a lazy lounge playing

Dusk Golem

Get ready, folks.

To be honest, this week has been a great week for bundles with three bundle sites with pretty good/great/amazing bundles, so I expect this one may be shit.

EDIT: Gaaah! How do I keep getting top of the page posts, I swear this has been unintentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom