• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dead Rising 4 now has pre-purchase incentives:

dr4ppiedbq3.jpg

giphy.gif

Tizoc

Just got my backer key for Hollow Knight~
Check your emails if you were a backer too.

EDIT: Oh hey I just noticed this now-
If you are part of the MOnthly bundle, all store items will automatically show a 10% discount now. If the game is discounted prior, it'll apply the 10% as well.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I dont know much about coding, engineering and whatnot, but is there any reason why they have to run in W7 mode to stop crashes?

I'd guess the computers they're developed and tested on are still running Windows 7.

Arthea

Rocket League is above 5 mln owners on steam already, wow
Stardew Valley is above 2 mln too

while Trails SC is still at 30K....
while Trails reached 250K
I hope SC will pick some extra owners when TC releases.

Atelier Sophie now is close to 18K. hopefully it still can reach at least 20K before Firis releales.

what's up with Youtubers Life being at half of million already? I'll never understand steam userbase, Sakura, youtubers, stupid meme games sell better than good games.

on unrelated note, anybody have played WayOut puzzle games?
or Jules Verne the game?

Wok

EDIT: Oh hey I just noticed this now-
If you are part of the MOnthly bundle, all store items will automatically show a 10% discount now. If the game is discounted prior, it'll apply the 10% as well.

Exact, this is new and misleading for the old chaps like me. 👴

d3shy7f.png

k83Euou.png

Pixieking

Banned

It's a sequel to a JRPG. I have no doubt most people will buy SC when they complete FC, but asking people to pay even £15 for it (35% discount awhile back, which is its lowest price yet) when they haven't completed the first game is a bit much.

It's an obvious divide between "enthusiast gamers" who will buy games they know they'll get to eventually, and "casual gamers" who will buy something when they actually want to play it.

Ascheroth

Atelier Sophie now is close to 18K. hopefully it still can reach at least 20K before Firis releales.

what's up with Youtubers Life being at half of million already? I'll never understand steam userbase, Sakura, youtubers, stupid meme games sell better than good games.

on unrelated note, anybody have played WayOut puzzle games?
or Jules Verne the game?
Steam userbase only buy games but don't play them, so direct sequels will have huge drop-offs the longer their preceding games are.
In Trails case it's also a matter of perceived production values I guess, because even if the games are amazing, no matter how you slice it, they look old.
And XSEED frankly suck at marketing their PC stuff.

That said, I wonder if there's going to be a bundle of all 3 Trails in the Sky games when 3rd releases.

In Atelier Sophies case it's a late port of a niche series that never had another game on Steam and is coming from a publisher with a history of subpar PC ports, and the port itself while likely among their better ones is not without its issues either.
20k is not bad considering that I'd say.
Firis numbers are going to be interesting. I'm pretty sure not all Sophie owners will translate into Firis buyers, but on the other hand since it's day-and-date some that own Sophie on other platforms could buy the PC version.

Arthea

it might be relevant to some steamgafers interests, fairly new horror game Syndrome is currently $13 here for 7 more hours.

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2017/2/20/whiguyblink.gif[/IMG
Tempted to try it, bought or had a few from plus of the Vita games but they ran like garbage so I stopped. Not missing anything by jumping in here?[/QUOTE]

They ran not so good on any console they were released, tbh, comparing to that Sophie runs like a song! I was ecstatic about it when I started it.

you kinda missing a lot, because the best games in series are still Mana Khemia games, but as we are talking modern games, starting with Sophie is all right, as it starts new subseries.

[quote="Ascheroth, post: 230852724"]Firis numbers are going to be interesting. I'm pretty sure not all Sophie owners will translate into Firis buyers, but on the other hand since it's day-and-date some that own Sophie on other platforms could buy the PC version.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly rather afraid of Firis release, it won't be $30 game, as it is new and day one release, and I'm not sure people will jump on it at full price. If they don't, we can forget getting Atelier games day one, if at all.
hopefully I'm wrong and it'll sell just fine.

gngf123

whiguyblink.gif

Tempted to try it, bought or had a few from plus of the Vita games but they ran like garbage so I stopped. Not missing anything by jumping in here?

Saying it's the 17th in the series is only half the story really. The games work in trilogies which are mostly independent of each other. Sophie is the first in the "Mysterious" series so you'll be fine.

Ascheroth

Tempted to try it, bought or had a few from plus of the Vita games but they ran like garbage so I stopped. Not missing anything by jumping in here?
Nah, it's fine to just jump in here.
...Probably should have mentioned on the Steam page that it's the first of a new trilogy instead of boasting it's the 17th in a series that was never on PC :p

They ran not so good on any console they were released, tbh, comparing to that Sophie runs like a song! I was ecstatic about it when I started it.

you kinda missing a lot, because the best games in series are still Mana Khemia games, but as we are talking modern games, starting with Sophie is all right, as it starts new subseries.

I'm honestly rather afraid of Firis release, it won't be $30 game, as it is new and day one release, and I'm not sure people will jump on it at full price. If they don't, we can forget getting Atelier games day one, if at all.
hopefully I'm wrong and it'll sell just fine.
...I should play Mana Khemia 2 sometime, really loved the first one.

Yeah, Firis is really hard to 'predict', it could go either way.
But what is really easy to predict on the other hand is that they aren't going to stop releasing GUST games if one underperforms (not to mention we don't even know what their expectations are to begin with).
This is Tecmo Koei we are talking about, a company that is releasing Toukiden 2 day-and-date, when the first game sold like 6000 copies at launch and even now after 1 and a half years has barely more owners than Sophie at this point.

Ludens

Banned
I want to grab the new Total War Warhammer dlc, but Steam says I need to buy the game, and it asks me to access the service, if I try to do that, it gives me an error. Am I the only one?

Arthea

steamgaf you failed me!

apparently Humble store had a price mistake on Megadimension Neptunia VII Digital Complete Set in January and I get to know that only now!
I would have bought it for 29€ no questions asked!

or maybe it wasn't a price mistake even, although it looks like one. Anyway, I missed it regardless.

edited: here is hoping it'll be at such price during the summer sale, even better discount would be welcome

Deques

I have started to play Oceanhorn. The first thing I noticed is that my Xbox One controller didn't work. I searched in the forums, and it seems there is no problem with the controller at all.
I then turned off Steam's controller support in big picture mode, restarted the client and suddenly the controller works.
Is there something I have missed here? I thought that Steam's recently added controller support should work without problems. This is the second game where I had to turn off the controller support in order to play the game. The first game that I had problem was Final Fantasy V

steamgaf you failed me!

apparently Humble store had a price mistake on Megadimension Neptunia VII Digital Complete Set in January and I get to know that only now!
I would have bought it for 29€ no questions asked!

or maybe it wasn't a price mistake even, although it looks like one. Anyway, I missed it regardless.

edited: here is hoping it'll be at such price during the summer sale, even better discount would be welcome

I didn't know there was a price bug on that in Humble store either

The normal edition is €7.39 in BundleStars now
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/star-deal

MUnited83

For you.
Atelier games are super niche. Firis in Japan sold like 40k in its first week, and that was Ps4 and Vita combined. I'm pretty sure they will be happy with 10k in a couple of weeks on Steam just fine.
and will outsell west Vita version

Knurek

Did not manage to finish Moeka chapter in Steins;Gate yesterday.

The fact that they kept panning on her exposed bosom when Okabe was bloody assaulting her was really vile and unnecessary.
Also the fact that my wife came into the room during one of these pans and we had to have a 'talk' afterwards did not help matters. :\

Thank god I wasn't playing Saya no Uta or Euphoria. :)

Ascheroth

Atelier games are super niche. Firis in Japan sold like 40k in its first week, and that was Ps4 and Vita combined. I'm pretty sure they will be happy with 10k in a couple of weeks on Steam just fine.
and will outsell west Vita version

...I did not think they were that niche :O
Do you happen to know how Sophie in Japan or the west?

Arthea

Did not manage to finish Moeka chapter in Steins;Gate yesterday.

The fact that they kept panning on her exposed bosom when Okabe was bloody assaulting her was really vile and unnecessary.
Also the fact that my wife came into the room during one of these pans and we had to have a 'talk' afterwards did not help matters. :\

Thank god I wasn't playing Saya no Uta or Euphoria. :)

and it was not even Faris, which is well... fanservicy to the extreme.

MUnited83

For you.
Atelier Sophie sold 170K in Japan
source http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202105213&postcount=1

so I don't think series are that niche as bernardo imagines.

I mean I don't see them being happy with sub 10K sales, that's kinda ridiculous.
That's the total for Asia, not just Japan. And that was after being discounted quite a bit.
10k will be pretty good for full price purchases. I don't see the Vita version in the West doing better than that either lol

Reminder that the series is relatively low budget, and ports are not really that expensive. 10k at full price is more than enough to cover it and then some. And then you still have all the sale potential down the line as it gets cheaper.

MUnited83

For you.
maybe Vita porting is hella cheap, I don't see how it is an indication of how PC ports should sell in any way, c'mon guys
PC porting is even cheaper, so once again I don't get your logic.

They have clearly been fine with low sales before and will continue to be fine with them in the future. That's just the facts.

If you really think they are not happy with it then wouldn't have they stopped bringing games to Steam by now?

Arthea

PC porting is even cheaper, so once again I don't get your logic.

They have clearly been fine with low sales before and will continue to be fine with them in the future. That's just the facts.

If you really think they are not happy with it then wouldn't have they stopped bringing games to Steam by now?

you make no sense bernardo

Samurai Warriors 8 is at 200K + owners
Empires at 40K+
OP 200K+
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 150K+

only game that actually is sub 10K is Arslan, which bombed, true
and even Toukiden is at 25K

like why wouldn't they release their games? Them releasing Toukiden II day one is probably just in hopes that it'll sell better than the first one, which probably won't happen unless it's much better game and port.

edited: forgot DoA lol, at 300K owners now

MUnited83

For you.
you make no sense bernardo

Samurai Warriors 8 is at 200K + owners
Empires at 40K+
OP 200K+
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 150K+

only game that actually is sub 10K is Arslan, which bombed, true
and even Toukiden is at 25K

like why wouldn't they release their games? Them releasing Toukiden II day one is probably just in hopes that it'll sell better than the first one, which probably won't happen unless it's much better game and port.
Toukiden didn't sell 25k when it released. It took a crapload of time and discounts to reach it. Same for DQ Heroes and they are bringing 2 day and date too.

Stop thinking they need massive numbers to be profitable or even be fine with their sales. If that was the case they would have long abandoned the Vita in the West.

Like, dude, they even bring out Chinese only version of their Kindgoms games that sell like 2/3k and they continue to pump them out anyways lol.

Spoiler: we will get more Atelier games even if Firis only sells 10k in the first couple of weeks.

Knurek

Why are all LCD monitors shit? Why?

IPS: Backlight bleed, poor contrast
TN: Viewing angles, poor colors
VA: Blurring, curved
OLED: They don't exist, lol, also price and durability.

Arthea

Toukiden didn't sell 25k when it released. It took a crapload of time and discounts to reach it. Same for DQ Heroes and they are bringing 2 day and date too.

Stop thinking they need massive numbers to be profitable or even be fine with their sales. If that was the case they would have long abandoned the Vita in the West.

Like, dude, they even bring out Chinese only version of their Kindgoms games that sell like 2/3k and they continue to pump them out anyways lol.

Spoiler: we will get more Atelier games even if Firis only sells 10k in the first couple of weeks.

I'm not arguing with you anymore, that's pointless, I can't believe you really think that 10K is profitable for a PC port that takes a lot of work if good, but it seems you do, more power to you.

Knurek

I'm not arguing with you anymore, that's pointless, I can't believe you really think that 10K is profitable for a PC port that takes a lot of work if good, but it seems you do, more power to you.

10k sales at €50 is 350000€ profit (with Valve's cut already removed).
Given the amount of work KT usually puts in these ports, even that amount should make them a tidy sum of profit.
And it's not like the game stops selling after a month, right?
They are probably not ecstatic about 10k sales, but I'd wager they are not losing money as well.

MUnited83

For you.
Sorry to tell you, but those are just the facts. I guarantee you it's absolutely profitable. You're also acting like I said it would only sell 10k on its lifetime. Even if 10k somehow didn't put them in the green( but it does), it would quickly put them as prices went down and sales increased.

Arthea

10k sales at €50 is 350000€ profit (with Valve's cut already removed).
Given the amount of work KT usually puts in these ports, even that amount should make them a tidy sum of profit.
And it's not like the game stops selling after a month, right?
They are probably not ecstatic about 10k sales, but I'd wager they are not losing money as well.

but if it was so cheap as you guys imagine, by now everything would be on PC, but it's not so and not even close!

so yeah, common sense, it's not cheap and you need post release support too and it's not free

I mean if porting is so easy and cheap that 10K sales pay for any port, why we can't get any Sega's ports? They hate money?

I don't say I know how much porting of Atelier game is, but you don't know either! But I don't believe PC porting can be cheap even in theory (aside of VNs, cuz minimum to no gameplay), considering it has to run on shitload of different PCs and run good.

What we should talk about is how niche Trails in the sky is.

yeah, we totally should, it still not as niche as Dino Crisis, thankfully

That's how multiplatform engine works. These kind of ports dont cost over 100k or so, considering they're done in house, with a multiplatform engine. It takes a lot of work under certains circomstances: Lack of engine compatibility, external team use, slower hardware and such.
You also have to keep in mind these releases aren't made to only make a bank at release. Sure, there's the hope it does, but it's also a long term investment for more revenue in the long run.

but if it was so cheap as you guys imagine, by now everything would be on PC, but it's not so and not even close!

so yeah, common sense, it's not cheap and you need post release support too and it's not free

I mean if porting is so easy and cheap that 10K sales pay for any port, why we can't get any Sega's ports? They hate money?

I don't say I know how much porting of Atelier game is, but you don't know either! But I don't believe PC porting can be cheap even in theory (aside of VNs, cuz minimum to no gameplay), considering it has to run on shitload of different PCs and run good.

That's the case though. When something doesn't happen to release on PC, you have various factor involved.

Pixieking

Banned
Issues we have here: Sales =/= income,

Arslan's lowest price ever is £25. If everyone who owns it (looking at Steamspy, some 7,000 people) bought it at £25, then that's £175,000 - Valve's 30% cut (£52,500) = £122,500.

That's not bad, for 7,000 sales? But, obviously, those sales are not all at the lowest price, but also not at a price you could easily work out, right? Because of regional pricing, full-price sales, plus, that total money is spread across a time-range, not all in one lump.

This is why Steamspy is stupid - because it removes nuance from discussions. It's not about sales, it's about revenue, and profit, both of which are unknown to us because only the accountants at the devs/pubs know the specific details.

lol?

I mean, there's so many reasons for this. Everything from cultural attitudes to the PC (Japanese devs and players ignored it for the longest time), to issues like "Oh! Piracy!" (see the recent Hitman Full Season release, for how SquEnix are still of the idea that shenanigans are required to stop pirating). Saying that cost is the only factor is silly. :)

Arthea

Issues we have here: Sales =/= income,

Arslan's lowest price ever is £25. If everyone who owns it (looking at Steamspy, some 7,000 people) bought it at £25, then that's £175,000 - Valve's 30% cut (£52,500) = £122,500.

That's not bad, for 7,000 sales? But, obviously, those sales are not all at the lowest price, but also not at a price you could easily work out, right? Because of regional pricing, full-price sales, plus, that total money is spread across a time-range, not all in one lump.

This is why Steamspy is stupid - because it removes nuance from discussions. It's not about sales, it's about revenue, and profit, both of which are unknown to us because only the accountants at the devs/pubs know the specific details.

you have a point, but as we don't get any real info about revenue only about sales, what can we do?

that was very well thought argument, thank you for your contribution to this discussion

MUnited83

For you.

yeah, we totally should, it still not as niche as Dino Crisis, thankfully
Opportunity cost + not all engines are the same. Koei Tecmo might be willing to port for smaller profit, SEGA might not be willing to do a port if it isn't guaranteed to make much more money. Other factors come into it as well.

PC porting can be and is cheap. I guarantee you that 60$x10k is more than enough to make most ports profitable without issues.

Jawmuncher

Hey, I can't do nothing about capcom not using an IP and letting it gather dust. Only reason I'll even let this "it's not as niche as Dino Crisis" slide.
If it gets another big sequel that remark becomes void unless it absolutely bombs.

Pixieking

Banned
you have a point, but as we don't get any real info about revenue only about sales, what can we do?

Not worry. :D

By all means promote games you think need more attention - the Trails games are good, and more people should play them, for instance. But worrying that games aren't going to come to the PC because of poor sales is literally pointless, and debating Steamspy sales helps no-one. I would wager you'd have more luck politely tweeting devs/pubs every 2 or 3 months asking about the status of a PC port than trying to work out revenue from Steamspy numbers. :/

(Not being rude, btw, so don't take it as that. :) )

Orgen

Uh...

Well, take it out and clean it then. Poor thing.

Hahaha I was joking... maybe I should've said my German is non-existant, better? :p Is the price of the DLC the thing that disconcerts me... but mostly I wanted to know if the page is legit because I want that Enemy Unknown :D

Yes, you should get all of those things mentioned. But MMOGA is in the 'shady' group, so I would avoid it.

I thought it was too good to be a legit page... many thanks for the help! :)

Arthea

Not worry. :D

By all means promote games you think need more attention - the Trails games are good, and more people should play them, for instance. But worrying that games aren't going to come to the PC because of poor sales is literally pointless, and debating Steamspy sales helps no-one. I would wager you'd have more luck politely tweeting devs/pubs every 2 or 3 months asking about the status of a PC port than trying to work out revenue from Steamspy numbers. :/

(Not being rude, btw, so don't take it as that. :) )

but it's a gaming discussion board, we discuss everything gaming related here including sales, and it won't go away too, as it's just too fun how everybody gets worked up over it, and knows everything better than anybody else, just check this page for confirmation lol

nothing generates such a storm, aside of niche and sales discussions, trust me on this

well good announcements too, but these are rare and they don't really generate a discussion more like hype trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom