• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popstar

Steam Audio is now available, delivering an advanced spatial audio solution for games and VR apps. Steam Audio includes several exciting features that significantly improve immersion and open up new possibilities for spatial audio design.

What is Steam Audio?
Steam Audio adds physics-based sound propagation on top of HRTF-based binaural audio, for increased immersion. Sounds interact with and bounce off of the actual scene geometry, so they feel like they are actually in the scene, and give players more information about the scene they are in.
It's too bad Aureal was sued into oblivion by Creative all those years ago.

Lomax

It just occurred to me that I could use my credit to buy a steam controller... that's actually tempting now that I'm using my steam link so much.

MUnited83

For you.
Two things I'd love for Valve to work on.

Steam Out of Home Streaming (through the internet like PS remote play). You can already do this with a few workarounds but would be nice to see a optimized streamlined option from Valve. Would make even GPD Win even better.

Steam Gameplay Capture. Since you can already broadcast/stream directly on Steam, why not go one step further and allow for saving and editing videos with the client?

Both would be building on already existing features and don't seem to hard to get right.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty sure that was this month :p

--
Four Last Things looks like it might be nice. Wishlisted.

no joke. I have no concept of time after years and years of working the graveyard shift.

I am not kidding :/

Vuze

Valve's latest release is something that, I feel, could be a pretty big deal.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/596420/announcements/detail/521693426582988261

Steam Audio is now available, delivering an advanced spatial audio solution for games and VR apps. Steam Audio includes several exciting features that significantly improve immersion and open up new possibilities for spatial audio design.

The Steam Audio SDK is available free of charge, for use by teams of any size, without any royalty requirements. Steam Audio currently supports Windows, Linux, macOS, and Android. Just like Steam itself, Steam Audio is available for use with a growing list of VR devices and platforms.

Download the tools at Steam Audio on GitHub, then visit the Steam Audio Community Hub for the latest news and discussions, or to just share your thoughts and feedback.

What is Steam Audio?
Steam Audio adds physics-based sound propagation on top of HRTF-based binaural audio, for increased immersion. Sounds interact with and bounce off of the actual scene geometry, so they feel like they are actually in the scene, and give players more information about the scene they are in.
Is this equivalent to what $ony has been selling as a big feature of their 150$ 180€wtf headset with only UC4 supporting it rn?

Durante

Steam Out of Home Streaming (through the internet like PS remote play). You can already do this with a few workarounds but would be nice to see a optimized streamlined option from Valve. Would make even GPD Win even better.

Steam Gameplay Capture. Since you can already broadcast/stream directly on Steam, why not go one step further and allow for saving and editing videos with the client?

Both would be building on already existing features and don't seem to hard to get right.
Yeah, I'd love to have both of those. Though "out of home streaming" has much higher priority for me, Shadowplay is pretty good for capture.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gamepump delivers literally infinite value per dollar*

value defined in the limit as cost approaches zero, but undefined pointwise

BasilZero

Omg yes please!

Fraps be making man videos so big ;(

And Sony vegas for me has that damn 2GB limit on rendered videos which makes it impossible for me to make a long 1080p 60 fps video -.-

Anno

Might have to bite on Tyranny.

A few people around here will have a 50% off coupon in a couple weeks courtesy of the Pillars 2 Figstarter. I certainly think Tyranny is worth it as is but if you want to save a few more bucks and don't need it right now I can send you mine whenever Obsidian get their backer portal thing active.

Tizoc

Play Asia has some interesting prices on Steam games

Transformers Devastation ROW for $7.36
http://www.play-asia.com/transformers-devastation-steam/13/7096vn

DIRT 3 COMPLETE EDITION ROW for $4.28
http://www.play-asia.com/dirt-3-complete-edition-steam/13/708sgr

King's Quest 2015 Complete for $6.29
http://www.play-asia.com/kings-quest-complete-collection-steam/13/709tcl

Spin Tires ROW for $6.24
http://www.play-asia.com/spintires-steam/13/708t2p

Styx: Shards of Darkness EU for $28
http://www.play-asia.com/styx-shards-of-darkness-steam/13/70avwl

barber

Gamepump delivers literally infinite value per dollar*

value defined in the limit as cost approaches zero, but undefined pointwise

You would have to consider the opportunity value for the investment during a month or so, before getting the money back which i guess was semi high for Rhaknar?

Knurek

So MHWilliams confirmed the NS pro controller is recognized through a USB cable in the pc:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=230865356

Does this mean it should be quick to get it working in steam, or will it already be compatible at launch?

r5W1s7A.jpg

This is extremely relevant to my interest. I'm guessing wireless doesn't sync with a BT dongle, as was the case with Wii U Pro...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A few people around here will have a 50% off coupon in a couple weeks courtesy of the Pillars 2 Figstarter. I certainly think Tyranny is worth it as is but if you want to save a few more bucks and don't need it right now I can send you mine whenever Obsidian get their backer portal thing active.

I'd really appreciate that! :)

MUnited83

For you.
New avatar time!
Yeah, I'd love to have both of those. Though "out of home streaming" has much higher priority for me, Shadowplay is pretty good for capture.

Oh yeah, out of home streaming would definitely be the priority if I had to choose. A hardware-agnostic gameplay recording feature would be nice though. I like OBS but it makes some of the more "heavy" games get stutter when recording and streaming. Shadowplay works great for regular capture, but it doesn't seem to ever work right while streaming to Twitch/Youtube (it stops streaming eventually because it says the connection sucks. Even when trying to stream at very low bitrates. Mind you that I have no issues streaming at similar quality from PS4, for example. And the wifi chip on that thing is godawful.

Also, is there any decent free movie editors that can join shadowplay clips without loss of quality? One of the biggest bummers of Shadowplay is that it stops a recording around the 12 min mark and starts a new one. I join them on movie maker or use the youtube clip editor, but both of those options fuck up the quality quite a bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You would have to consider the opportunity value for the investment during a month or so, before getting the money back which i guess was semi high for Rhaknar?

So there are several things not accounted for in the infinite value math:

First, direct opportunity cost in the form of compounded interest. My estimate is that if you took $20 out of your high yield savings account (or some other highly liquid savings instrument) to pay for GamePump, and you bought day one, you'd be out about 4 cents interest. But many people didn't buy day one, so I would guess the expected loss is actually closer to about 2.8 cents interest integrating across the time-space of purchases. And of course most people didn't take from their savings account, so they voluntarily made a decision to ignore the opportunity cost. As a result, I feel that 3 cents is a conservative opportunity cost.

Second, opportunity cost in form of reduced capital liquidity. This only impacts purchasers who used their last marginal $20 in liquid capital during the period (i.e. emptied their accounts if they have no access to credit, or maxed their credit instruments during the period). Setting aside the very obvious impulse to beat those people over the head because of their terrible life decisions, I would guess that for most people this cost does not apply. Just the simplest version to look at this is that imagine interest doesn't exist and credit doesn't exist and you have $100 and loan a friend $20 for a month and then they give it back. There was only ever a cost if you planned to buy other things worth between $81 and 100 in the month AND there's a non-interest time value of money to have those purchases early. I am unconvinced this is worth modelling, except for Rhaknar.

Third, the naive assumption fails to model consumption value of getting hyped for GamePump. It's clear that constantly talking about GamePump and following the epic saga gave people enjoyment, and so any model that purports to be fair by taking into account interest must also take into account positive utility from this. You might say "yeah, but weren't a bunch of those people anxious and disappointed about the lack of communication and ultimate cancellation of GamePump?" -- that's true, but I have no idea why you're assigning anxiety and disappointment a negative net utility. Some people are clearly dispositionally anxious, and spend their whole lives being constantly having a conniption about things that don't matter. I think two possible interpretations here are either that they derive utility from anxiety, in which case adding anxiety to their life is EV+, or that they do not derive utility from anxiety, but sources of anxiety are fully substitutionary goods, and so being anxious about GamePump is EV neutral because if they weren't worrying about that they would have spent the same time worrying about something else.

In summary, I think a view of this situation fully informed by the considerations of behavioural economics would vindicate GamePump as having an extraordinarily high positive utility value, even if finite.

Wok

I have just finished LIT, and it is a really cool game, it does not feel like a mobile port to me. Only 16 levels long, and I have played with the boy, only to notice there was a playable girl at the end. Oh well.

Leftover.
ModBot said:
Instructions for longlivegaming:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Ryse: Son of Rome -- MB-D1B2EC2FBBD8294A - Taken by GrinningColossus. 20 entrants total.

t1487896047z1.png

Tenrius

Sherlock Homes: Crimes & Punishments is surprisingly weaker than The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Going by the opening case, at least. Everything feels somewhat forced, going back and forth between half a dozen different locations to do just one thing at one place at any give time is not very fun, and I don't really dig the "you fully decide the outcome" system.

The latter means that you have to figure out the culprit yourself at the end of each case, but the game doesn't punish you for a wrong choice — you're actually not supposed to know what the right one was. There's an option to check the correct answer, but the game advises against it because it would seemingly "detract from the atmosphere".

Well, I hope the game picks up soon. It was just the opening case after all.

Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Stellaris just keeps getting better. Loving these new government types, I'm pretty excited to create the Borg faction, or fanatically purge the xenos in the name of the Emprah.

Sounds a lot like Starship Troopers (the movie).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-9D21867D35289424 - Taken by data

Wok

So there are several things not accounted for in the infinite value math:

[...]

In summary, I think a view of this situation fully informed by the considerations of behavioural economics would vindicate GamePump as having an extraordinarily high positive utility value, even if finite.

You are missing the fact most people do not own dollars. I paid $20 and was refunded $20, but I literally paid 19 € and was refunded 18 € due to the dollar weakening after the US presidential election.

BJSKTUV.png

Ozium

Let me guess, all the folks that have still to this day not received emails via gamepump due to using paypal right at the start of the orders, will not receive anything

this is what I am assuming as well as I have received jack shit from them

Amzin

Sherlock Homes: Crimes & Punishments is surprisingly weaker than The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Going by the opening case, at least. Everything feels somewhat forced, going back and forth between half a dozen different locations to do just one thing at one place at any give time is not very fun, and I don't really dig the "you fully decide the outcome" system.

The latter means that you have to figure out the culprit yourself at the end of each case, but the game doesn't punish you for a wrong choice — you're actually not supposed to know what the right one was. There's an option to check the correct answer, but the game advises against it because it would seemingly "detract from the atmosphere".

Well, I hope the game picks up soon. It was just the opening case after all.

I loved C&P compared to Testament, but I enjoyed the open-ended detection part, and the ambiguity of your decisions. That's somewhat the point of the game though, and where it draws the name from (I believe Dostoyevsky's book heavily involves this topic). I didn't end up doing a whole lot of going back and forth (besides what is literally forced on you, which isn't that much). I don't remember which was the first though, but I liked all of them except for the church one which was kind of weird in that it was a lot more of a puzzle-segment than the rest of the game and I didn't realize it for like an hour of flailing about.

What I'm saying is, if you don't like the premise of the first case, you probably aren't going to like the rest of them. But if you take it for what it is, it's good fun. Like I said, I quite liked the open-ended decision and the deduction mapping, it felt way more true to Holmes to me than something so linear.

dex3108

I tested Dishonored 2 and Watch_Dogs 2 with new RAM modules and it looks like that everything works perfect. Both games use around 9.5GB so I think that I made right call when I purchased additional sticks XD

BTW in Dishonored 2 I get locked 60 FPS and perfect 16.6ms frame time. Game feels and plays great. I guess that I really can't notice issues that other users have.

derFeef

Aw man I finally finished DOOM on UV. That game could have been 2 or even 3 levels shorter. I enjoyed it otherwise very much.

Javier23

Banned
BTW in Dishonored 2 I get locked 60 FPS and perfect 16.6ms frame time. Game feels and plays great. I guess that I really can't notice issues that other users have.
That frametime that you are being shown isn't real though. That's been the case with this game since it released. It shows perfect frametimes when they're obviously very uneven at points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom