• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

so uh, random question but ppl know about computers here

basically rain fell on our computers at work and we don't know if we should turn them on, wait, change them or what

they're like brand new

If they had 0 power when they got wet, let them dry COMPLETELY and they should actually be OK. If they had power (even if they were plugged in but off), there could be damage, but again, wait for them to dry completely before trying. I would say at least 24 hours in a dry room if possible.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Civ 6 1.5 GB update!

Steam Workshop support finally.. and Australia being added as DLC..

https://civilization.com/news/entri...ummer-2017-update-multiplayer-teams-mod-tools

Can you use drop bears to maul people?

dropbears1.JPG

All versions of Pillars of Eternity are 60% off on Steam.

No discount whatsoever on the DLC or season pass.

Gotta love it when even publishers like Paradox start following the Bethesda model of DLC discounts (or lack thereof).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Gotta love it when even publishers like Paradox start following the Bethesda model of DLC discounts (or lack thereof).

its where they get their money. Its also why you are seeing more "big" games in the humble monthly, because they are banking on people buying the DLC.

Anno

They're 40% off at Bundlestars for the weekend apparently.

zkylon

zkylewd
the pillars dlc has been discounted before

i've bought it discounted

At the very least, wait for them to dry off before turning them on to prevent them from potentially shorting out if they haven't already. If they were powered on when rain fell on them, they'll likely need to be replaced depending on how waterproof the cases are.

I had a few work computers that were involved in a flood - this was 15 years ago though when tower PCs were literally towers. These particular ones were about 2.5 feet tall, and were sitting in about 1.5 feet of standing water. I dried them out (the motherboards were covered in river-grime) and after a few days I was able to power them on after replacing the memory modules.
If they had 0 power when they got wet, let them dry COMPLETELY and they should actually be OK. If they had power (even if they were plugged in but off), there could be damage, but again, wait for them to dry completely before trying. I would say at least 24 hours in a dry room if possible.
i see, i'll pass along ur wisdom to the big bosses

might be 4 oculus and 4 oculus-ready computers (well, 2 of them were kind of not as ready as they advertised lol) that get broken

i told them to cover those things up lol

Play Asia has some interesting prices on Steam games

Transformers Devastation ROW for $7.36
http://www.play-asia.com/transformers-devastation-steam/13/7096vn

DIRT 3 COMPLETE EDITION ROW for $4.28
http://www.play-asia.com/dirt-3-complete-edition-steam/13/708sgr

King's Quest 2015 Complete for $6.29
http://www.play-asia.com/kings-quest-complete-collection-steam/13/709tcl

Spin Tires ROW for $6.24
http://www.play-asia.com/spintires-steam/13/708t2p

Styx: Shards of Darkness EU for $28
http://www.play-asia.com/styx-shards-of-darkness-steam/13/70avwl

Wow, totally intrigued by the King's Quest price.

It's also on sale on Steam but still 150% more expensive. Hmm..

Tenrius

I'd say the DLC is actually essential for Pillars.

MUnited83

For you.
Animu on Steam continues not to be a mistake, huh boys?

Reminder for me to shill again for Ebi-Hime titles, actual quality animum visual novels.

Give Ebi-Hime all your money. Each title deservers to sell 100 times what the Sakura titles sell. Make it right SteamGAF.

Reminder for me to shill again for Ebi-Hime titles, actual quality animum visual novels.

Give Ebi-Hime all your money. Each title deservers to sell 100 times what the Sakura titles sell. Make it right SteamGAF.

Some of these titles seem depressing while the rest feel sneakily depressing, so I instinctually stay away.

Lain

Speaking of Ebi-hime, just saw that some games from Marble Syrup have scripts written by them.

Rhaknar

It's like Shakespeare
But with lots more punching
It's like Goethe
But with lots more crushing
Like Titanic
But the boat's still floating (No it's not!)
The motherfucking boat is exploding!
NEXTWAVE! NEXTWAVE!

tumblr_o6bjdyH4gV1re3x32o1_500.gif

edit: gonna shill for Echoes of Aetheria a little more because it does something which I love and is a big pet peave of mine with most rpgs. It has a 5 character party system, and there are 5 characters in the story. You never have to leave anyone out (which is the pet peave with others), sure they split up and you control different groups at different times, but there is never that "I have 9 guys now and can only use 4" moment.

zkylon

zkylewd
mass effect andromeda looks kind of neat in that giantbomb video

the way they talk about it reminds me a little bit of dragons dogma

but it probably will lack everything i like about dragons dogma, which is a lot of stuff i doubt anyone but me cares about

zkylon

zkylewd
i sometimes think that too, but eh, i don't really need a kill la kill game

i wish someone would made a proper berserk game tho, that series really could reach new heights in videogame form

but kill la kill is too perfect for anyone to touch it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
i sometimes think that too, but eh, i don't really need a kill la kill game

i wish someone would made a proper berserk game tho, that series really could reach new heights in videogame form

but kill la kill is too perfect for anyone to touch it

Berserk by Dragons Dogma team would be the ideal thing. From Software might have the atmosphere but thats because they were inspired by Berserk in the first place.

Because I haven't done one in a while (mainly because I've been on my 3DS,) here are some impressions! Hang on to your seats, because here we go for City of Fools:

The story: You play a journalist hired to investigate a UFO sighting in the city of Tundel (sometimes spelled Tudnel. Because fuck spellchecking) and interview the mayor. Upon arriving in town, it's not long before you discover the mayor is holed up on a private island only accessible by plane, and you need special permission to buy a plane ticket.

The premise is okay, I guess, but the telling is pretty bad, and the ending is one of the worst copouts you can possibly do, not just in a game, but in ANY medium. Spoilers:
It was all a dream. It's hard to believe anyone does that anymore.

The graphics:I assume they're intentionally ugly. Lots of bulging eyes, usually looking in two different directions, lots of bulbous noses, just one hideous character after another. But guess what, guys? Intentionally ugly is still ugly. I assume it's a comedy thing for them to equate "stupid" with "ugly?" I dunno. Simply painful to look at. Not sure where to put this, but expect lots of racist caricatures (a "Middle Eastern man" who smokes a hookah, a Jewish man who runs an antique shop, an Asian guy who looks like he stepped out of a movie in the 1940s and who literally says "ching chong ching," a Zulu with a bone in his hair...you get the idea.) Just mind-boggling that some people still hold these ideas, let alone put them in video games.

The music and audio: Character voices are non-linguistic burbles, similar to Banjo-Kazooie but more annoying. Lots of fart noises abound, and whenever you interact with poo (and you will...a lot,) you get a choir singing "Halle-poo-jah." Music is usually a repetitive tuba strain about seven seconds long.

The gameplay: Touts itself as a hidden-object game, and there are some scenes like that (mostly of the kind where you're shown pictures and you have to find those in the scene, but a few with just words,) but the scenes are VERY easy. The majority of the game is doing fetch quests for everyone in town. Map navigation is a fucking nightmare. Around mid-game you'll have dozens of items in your inventory and might not be able to figure out where anyone who needed any of this was. The address numbers are random and all over the place (comedy!) and it's very simple to miss houses entirely: the hospital in particular is tough to enter even with the map. There's only fast travel between four points in the "subway" (rocket powered shopping carts in the sewer - comedy!) and while you can place a map marker in order to be shown directions on screen how to get there, oftentimes you still won't know where you want to go. I recommend liberally using hints until you're given people's addresses to save yourself a headache.

Easily the worst part of the game is the poo. If you interact with it, you now "stink" and NOBODY will interact with you (they all wear gas masks or clothespins) until you find a water source. With the map navigation, you might not find one in a timely fashion and a cop will start ticketing you 20 bucks every so often to add insult to injury. After that I quickly learned to just go to the fountain nearest the starting point. That stupid cop will often show up randomly to say something to you, but while he shows up, you can't move or do anything, so it's not funny, it's really irritating. I'd say "who thought this was a good idea?" but you could say that about the game in general.

There are other minigames that require damn-near pixel perfection or are just plain janky.

The length:Took me 5 hours to finish, but near the end I was just leaning on hints because I wanted it over and done with. Oddly enough there's no achievement for finishing the game, and most of the achievements can be done in less than two hours.

The verdict: Part of me wants to actually recommend this just so you can marvel at how a game can possibly be this bad. Some people might even put it in the "so bad it's good" category. But I'm not gonna do that to you. It's utterly horrible. Don't even play it if you got it in a bundle. Reconsider buying any bundles with this game in it, even. I didn't encounter any game-breaking bugs, and there were no memes, so it didn't dethrone Bunker, but hooboy, it could shake hands with Bunker. Avoid like the fucking plague.

zkylon

zkylewd
Berserk by Dragons Dogma team would be the ideal thing. From Software might have the atmosphere but thats because they were inspired by Berserk in the first place.
i also feel like berserk style of "combat" would be hard to capture since it's so nuanced and weird

like, i feel that from is a good candidate just because fights in berserk feel really disempowering, it's always against some unconceivable demon god that can't be defeated unless guts' is at wit's end and way past the limit of a normal human

so idk, a game based around that would be cool, i keep thinking of a game with like a stamina bar like in dark souls but that every time you use it it gets shorter and shorter until you're completely defeated and out of breath and that's when you go berserk armor mode and wreck shit up. during that time ur health goes down so it's also a gamble. you're always losing something for swinging that huge ass sword

idk, stuff

pislit

Anyone of y'all playing NBA 2k17 and using Steam Controller? I cant change the control scheme anymore. But I can use it on Valkyria Chronicles--the only game I tested so far.

edit: gonna shill for Echoes of Aetheria a little more because it does something which I love and is a big pet peave of mine with most rpgs. It has a 5 character party system, and there are 5 characters in the story. You never have to leave anyone out (which is the pet peave with others), sure they split up and you control different groups at different times, but there is never that "I have 9 guys now and can only use 4" moment.

So it's like Final Fantasy IV?

How is the story pacing, by the way? I played the developer's previous game, Skyborn, and there I felt that the game length is too short for the scope of the story they're telling. It kinda feels like one of those "they're fitting 500-pages novel into 2-hours movie!" adaptations.

Rhaknar

So it's like Final Fantasy IV?

How is the story pacing, by the way? I played the developer's previous game, Skyborn, and there I felt that the game length is too short for the scope of the story they're telling. It kinda feels like one of those "they're fitting 500-pages novel into 2-hours movie!" adaptations.

im not gonna lie, it kinda sped up midway through, I assume Im near the end from where its going, im at 14ish hours and ive herd its like 18-20 hours long.

for example, there is a romance
that even tho you could see it was going to happen from the very start, it still goes from "we just battle companion -> tragic event -> guess we're dating now!" very fast. On the other hand, at least they actually pull the trigger on it and dont just tease it like japanese games.

it also goes into
full blown war very suddently, not that the seeds werent planted from the start, and you knew it was coming, but the execution feels a rushed.

Still super into it tho.

yuraya

Played a little bit of that Ghost Reecan beta. The core mechanics of the game are pretty good but I think the open world is too big. So many mountains and roads. The pacing for traversal is a kinda all over the place. Overall its not a bad effort from Ubi to take the series into this type of direction. The game will probably benefit a lot over time with patches, expansions and sequels.

Reposting my question from earlier:

Anyone ran through the latest Torment beta build? Achievements are up, it's the 1st 3rd of the game, and saves transfer to the final build so I'm tempted to buy it tonight and get started. Just dying to know how the initial impressions of the writing and tone are tho.

Edit: Pre-release faq source

Rhaknar

got my "not played" list down to 2.2k games...

giphy.gif

Platy

So much anime in this page ... lets balance it a bit

571jmWz.jpg

A8w15Jc.jpg

edit : just because I said of course I went to the top of the 50pp page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom