• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You are missing the fact most people do not own dollars. I paid $20 and was refunded $20, but I literally paid 19 € and was refunded 18 € due to the dollar weakening after the US presidential election.

BJSKTUV.png

Right, but the dollar weakening also increased your purchasing power parity assuming you purchase in your own currency and prices are fixed, so you were refunded at purchasing power parity. Let's not be sloppy with our economic assumptions here! Moreover, a priori there's no reason to believe the dollar was more likely to weaken than strengthen over the 3 months. Something can't be an opportunity cost if it can't be modeled, and the expected dollar to euro ratio change over those 3 months would have been 0.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have just finished LIT, and it is a really cool game, it does not feel like a mobile port to me. Only 16 levels long, and I have played with the boy, only to notice there was a playable girl at the end. Oh well.

so it's pretty short then? I just finished The Music Machine and I think im tapped out on short games to play before Hollow Knight

Aaron D.

Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Stellaris just keeps getting better. Loving these new government types, I'm pretty excited to create the Borg faction, or fanatically purge the xenos in the name of the Emprah.

That looks really smart. Can't wait to fire up a new campaign after Utopia lands.

You're absolutely right, btw. Stellaris is becoming an amazing product. I really dig Paradox's evergreen attention to their strat games.

The long-form tweaking & adjusting, adding and subtracting, delivers an incredibly polished experience. Sometimes it takes a while to get there but I'm cool with the journey when the starting point is so strong.

man stories untold is SCARY AS FUCK

jesus crhist

Good to hear.

I was curious about this one.

barber

So there are several things not accounted for in the infinite value math:
Third, the naive assumption fails to model consumption value of getting hyped for GamePump. It's clear that constantly talking about GamePump and following the epic saga gave people enjoyment, and so any model that purports to be fair by taking into account interest must also take into account positive utility from this. You might say "yeah, but weren't a bunch of those people anxious and disappointed about the lack of communication and ultimate cancellation of GamePump?" -- that's true, but I have no idea why you're assigning anxiety and disappointment a negative net utility. Some people are clearly dispositionally anxious, and spend their whole lives being constantly having a conniption about things that don't matter. I think two possible interpretations here are either that they derive utility from anxiety, in which case adding anxiety to their life is EV+, or that they do not derive utility from anxiety, but sources of anxiety are fully substitutionary goods, and so being anxious about GamePump is EV neutral because if they weren't worrying about that they would have spent the same time worrying about something else.

In summary, I think a view of this situation fully informed by the considerations of behavioural economics would vindicate GamePump as having an extraordinarily high positive utility value, even if finite.

Was just trying to make a small tongue in cheek comment about the non-zero effect the Gamepump temporal fee had, but you really wrote a full on response to that (yeah, opportunity costs are kinda weird).
Talking about experiences, maybe some economist should evaluate the hype cycle of the product as newer generations will start to prioritize experiences over the service and that would start including the hype surrounding the product. But maybe they have already done it in which case i would actually want to read the article.

EDIT : every single dev diary of stellaris makes me want them to have non stop crunch... I just want all them expansions >-<

atr0cious

r5W1s7A.jpg

This is extremely relevant to my interest. I'm guessing wireless doesn't sync with a BT dongle, as was the case with Wii U Pro...
This is different as the wii u pro didn't send data over the cable.
He posted later that it didn't do anything beyond being able to connect, so it'll probably be that someone has to make another driver for it
I didn't want to bug him about his setup or what exactly he tried it on. My question was about how steam would handle it. If the controller already has a pc profile as controller, could steam somehow tap into that as like xinput or even dinput.

Parsnip

So MHWilliams confirmed the NS pro controller is recognized through a USB cable in the pc:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=230865356

Does this mean it should be quick to get it working in steam, or will it already be compatible at launch?
Maybe. It was confirmed that it won't have analog triggers though, right? That's instantly a big minus for the pro controller as far as I'm concerned.

Steam Gameplay Capture. Since you can already broadcast/stream directly on Steam, why not go one step further and allow for saving and editing videos with the client?
If Steam had a shadowplay equivalent, that would be pretty great. Nvidia can shove the geforce experience up their butt.

Tenrius

I loved C&P compared to Testament, but I enjoyed the open-ended detection part, and the ambiguity of your decisions. That's somewhat the point of the game though, and where it draws the name from (I believe Dostoyevsky's book heavily involves this topic). I didn't end up doing a whole lot of going back and forth (besides what is literally forced on you, which isn't that much). I don't remember which was the first though, but I liked all of them except for the church one which was kind of weird in that it was a lot more of a puzzle-segment than the rest of the game and I didn't realize it for like an hour of flailing about.

What I'm saying is, if you don't like the premise of the first case, you probably aren't going to like the rest of them. But if you take it for what it is, it's good fun. Like I said, I quite liked the open-ended decision and the deduction mapping, it felt way more true to Holmes to me than something so linear.

Well yeah, I'm not abandoning the game and still feel it's pretty good. It's just that I was so amazed when I played Testament a couple years ago and that feeling is not there with the sequel.

As for going back and forth, this is what I mean:

The first case is about Black Peter. You have to go back to his cabin three to five times upon obtaining new evidence which felt a bit unnatural. All of this while zipping between Scotland Yard and 221B with a couple of other places peppered in between. That's fine on itself, but going back to Black Peter's place to compare a boot you found with those footsteps in the garden felt a bit too much. Getting a harpoon from there is also weird. I mean, it's supposed to be somewhat far away! Holmes taking so much trips there within a single day supposedly somewhat breaks the immersion.

Another thing I didn't really like about the first case is that Watson is pretty much stationary. He just sits there at his desk most of the time and says his trademark "what should we do next, Holmes?". He doesn't go to any of the locations with you, which also feels unnatural (he says he's busy during the first trip to the crime scene, but that seems to be resolved by the time you return). There's one place he does visit with though, and it's pretty fun
(harpooning the pig's corpse)

MUnited83

For you.
Maybe. It was confirmed that it won't have analog triggers though, right? That's instantly a big minus for the pro controller as far as I'm concerned.

If Steam had a shadowplay equivalent, that would be pretty great. Nvidia can shove the geforce experience up their butt.

Tell me about it. Geforce wasn't too bad before.

Then the 3.0 version hit.

Oh boy. This trend of going minimalistic and stylish in sacrifice of usability is really annoying.

I love how the Naruto UNS4 free weekend gives you the chance to play the story, adventure mode, free battles, tournaments, and online play while the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare free weekend gives you only multiplayer, only public matches and a certain amount of modes to play that take forever to find a match in. They could at least let you try zombies mode or the first 3 campaign levels or something.

Ascheroth

I love how the Naruto UNS4 free weekend gives you the chance to play the story, adventure mode, free battles, tournaments, and online play while the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare free weekend gives you only multiplayer, only public matches and a certain amount of modes to play that take forever to find a match in. They could at least let you try zombies mode or the first 3 campaign levels or something.
Namco stays winning.
Btw, what's the difference between the 3 Naruto games on Steam?

Namco stays winning.
Btw, what's the difference between the 3 Naruto games on Steam?

Ninja storm 3 full burst is the earliest one and covers the beginning of Shippuden up to the ninja war arc but the ninja wars was not done manga wise yet so had a weird ending. Story is good and combat is good.

Revolution is kinda a side game where it has better combat and more characters than ninja storm 3 and slightly better competitive modes but a terrible story mode with forgettable side stories and chopped up canon stories.

Ninja storm 4 is the latest and it covers some loose ends from 3(involving the ninja war) up until the ending of the Shippuden series. Combines the better combat from Revolution and the good story mode from 3 plus a good amount of characters to make a good conclusion to the Ninja storm games. There is also a decent adventure mode. Also has a road to buruto expansion that I haven't played so cant say if its good or not.

Nzyme32

I've gone full on for Pillars of Eternity 2 - gone for the Ultimate Digital Edition, with DLC Pass and T-shirts to look like a twat in the gym.

Might have to bite on Tyranny.

Speaking of Tyranny, not sure when, but a bunch of us will get 50% off vouchers for Tyranny as part of our Pillars of Eternity 2 pledges. It ends tomorrow, but no idea when we'll get them. Mine will be up for grabs, since I already own it

Orgen

Any bundle from bundlestars worth right now? I got a 15% discount code to use until the end of the month (if there isn't anything worth it I could give the code to whoever needs it)

Ascheroth

Ninja storm 3 full burst is the earliest one and covers the beginning of Shippuden up to the ninja war arc but the ninja wars was not done manga wise yet so had a weird ending. Story is good and combat is good.

Revolution is kinda a side game where it has better combat and more characters than ninja storm 3 and slightly better competitive modes but a terrible story mode with forgettable side stories and chopped up canon stories.

Ninja storm 4 is the latest and it covers some loose ends from 3(involving the ninja war) up until the ending of the Shippuden series. Combines the better combat from Revolution and the good story mode from 3 plus a good amount of characters to make a good conclusion to the Ninja storm games. There is also a decent adventure mode. Also has a road to buruto expansion that I haven't played so cant say if its good or not.

Thanks - going to try out 4 during the free weekend first and then I'll see if I grab one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the current google banner animation is the cutest shit

Ozium

I've gone full on for Pillars of Eternity 2 - gone for the Ultimate Digital Edition, with DLC Pass and T-shirts to look like a twat in the gym.

Speaking of Tyranny, not sure when, but a bunch of us will get 50% off vouchers for Tyranny as part of our Pillars of Eternity 2 pledges. It ends tomorrow, but no idea when we'll get them. Mine will be up for grabs, since I already own it

I'll have one as well but note that it is for use on paradoxplaza, not steam

(though you will get a steam key, of course)

So there are several things not accounted for in the infinite value math:

First, direct opportunity cost in the form of compounded interest. My estimate is that if you took $20 out of your high yield savings account (or some other highly liquid savings instrument) to pay for GamePump, and you bought day one, you'd be out about 4 cents interest. But many people didn't buy day one, so I would guess the expected loss is actually closer to about 2.8 cents interest integrating across the time-space of purchases. And of course most people didn't take from their savings account, so they voluntarily made a decision to ignore the opportunity cost. As a result, I feel that 3 cents is a conservative opportunity cost.

Second, opportunity cost in form of reduced capital liquidity. This only impacts purchasers who used their last marginal $20 in liquid capital during the period (i.e. emptied their accounts if they have no access to credit, or maxed their credit instruments during the period). Setting aside the very obvious impulse to beat those people over the head because of their terrible life decisions, I would guess that for most people this cost does not apply. Just the simplest version to look at this is that imagine interest doesn't exist and credit doesn't exist and you have $100 and loan a friend $20 for a month and then they give it back. There was only ever a cost if you planned to buy other things worth between $81 and 100 in the month AND there's a non-interest time value of money to have those purchases early. I am unconvinced this is worth modelling, except for Rhaknar.

Third, the naive assumption fails to model consumption value of getting hyped for GamePump. It's clear that constantly talking about GamePump and following the epic saga gave people enjoyment, and so any model that purports to be fair by taking into account interest must also take into account positive utility from this. You might say "yeah, but weren't a bunch of those people anxious and disappointed about the lack of communication and ultimate cancellation of GamePump?" -- that's true, but I have no idea why you're assigning anxiety and disappointment a negative net utility. Some people are clearly dispositionally anxious, and spend their whole lives being constantly having a conniption about things that don't matter. I think two possible interpretations here are either that they derive utility from anxiety, in which case adding anxiety to their life is EV+, or that they do not derive utility from anxiety, but sources of anxiety are fully substitutionary goods, and so being anxious about GamePump is EV neutral because if they weren't worrying about that they would have spent the same time worrying about something else.

In summary, I think a view of this situation fully informed by the considerations of behavioural economics would vindicate GamePump as having an extraordinarily high positive utility value, even if finite.

This is a top tier post. Up there with Modbot as one of GAF's sterling achievements, which of course you also authored. A God among men.

Press Turn

Neo Member
Super Hexagon is bodying me and I love it, fits with Downwell as "short burst games".
Neat stuff.

Meanwhile my cursor draws closer to buying Terraria

Anustart

If I own asscreed 1 and 3 and have never played the series, which to play?

I had a lot of fun with terraria, need to give it another go!

Edit: Also just recently started playing multi-player games with a buddy from work.

This payday 2 is alright, but he's stuck on rust which I don't find very fun :(

Feel torn about getting Shovel Knight. On one hand the discounts so far haven't been great, and they probably won't be better when the price goes up, but on the other hand I know people love the game, but I've never really had more then a passing interest in the game.

kagamin

Super Hexagon is bodying me and I love it, fits with Downwell as "short burst games".
Neat stuff.

Meanwhile my cursor draws closer to buying Terraria

Super Hexagon is one for those games I woke up early to play a few rounds before class (I have it on my tablet).
2.gif

I just like arcades games in general though, especially rhythm games.

Anustart

Feel torn about getting Shovel Knight. On one hand the discounts so far haven't been great, and they probably won't be better when the price goes up, but on the other hand I know people love the game, but I've never really had more then a passing interest in the game.

Imo it's nothing special. Decent Megaman like game but nothing mind blowing.

Ozium

It's very good if you are a fan of old school games like Mega Man or the action bent of Castlevania.. you can always buy it and play for an hour and a half and refund it if you don't like it.

Regginator

Edit the script like this.

Add the following to the global variables
Code:
var storeUrl = "http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=";

Replace/comment out the following line:
Code:
"href='" + modBotUrl + "'>" + name + "</a>"

and put this instead:
Code:
"href='" + storeUrl + name + "'>" + name + "</a>"

This will take you to the search results for the name provided in the ModBot message like this. That's probably the most reliable approach given the nature of ModBot giveaways and how the script works in the first place.

iuOsoS8.png

Man, this is like Chinese for me. I have no idea what's going on.

zkylon

zkylewd
so uh, random question but ppl know about computers here

basically rain fell on our computers at work and we don't know if we should turn them on, wait, change them or what

they're like brand new

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
so uh, random question but ppl know about computers here

basically rain fell on our computers at work and we don't know if we should turn them on, wait, change them or what

they're like brand new

At the very least, wait for them to dry off before turning them on to prevent them from potentially shorting out if they haven't already. If they were powered on when rain fell on them, they'll likely need to be replaced depending on how waterproof the cases are.

I had a few work computers that were involved in a flood - this was 15 years ago though when tower PCs were literally towers. These particular ones were about 2.5 feet tall, and were sitting in about 1.5 feet of standing water. I dried them out (the motherboards were covered in river-grime) and after a few days I was able to power them on after replacing the memory modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom