• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Currently playing "Singularity" for the second time (first time at release some 7 years ago) and I'm still loving it.
And I know what I miss most nowadays: A great first person shooter like "Singularity" and others like it.
What a shame that not even Raven Software (the FPS gods) are making them anymore but have to do slave work for COD. What a waste.

Well at least we have Bethesda. Last couple of year they are killing it with singleplayer FPS games.

At this point it is fairly obvious that Sony moneyhatted timed exclusivity to Nier, and prevented Square from talking about the PC version.

Where was that Square employee who outwardly said he wasn't allowed to talk about it?

EDIT: Yeah, that

Doesn't Square always do this BS though? Just look at Final Fantasy and their release strategy for PC and consoles. It seems like they're just trying to milk as many double dippers as possible for Nier.

Parsnip

So regarding Resident Evil 1 Remastered:

- Every now and then, the game goes into slow motion and then back to normal after 2 or 3 seconds. This was much much worse on my old laptop and why I didn't play the game, but a well known issue that Capcom indicate to be spec related - yet even my new computer won't stick to it. Any ideas?

- The last RE game I played properly was many years ago. I have it set to the first choice (which I assume is the hardest difficulty) and the enemies are far harder to kill with a knife than I thought they would be. Going to attempt to continue but just curious if this is a good idea for a first run or to knock the difficulty lower?

- Quite miss this style of game. I'm immediately reminded of the fun I had with RE2 back in the day.
I never had the problem you describe, but try toggling the framerate option. If you are using 60, try variable, or vice versa.
There's also this FPS fix dll, but I have no idea what it does exactly, so, you know.

I probably wouldn't do harder difficulties immediately, especially since it's your first time through the game. You'll just get frustrated later when you run out of bullets or health and have to start over anyway. After you are able to surf between the zombies with ease and know your way around the map is when I would do harder difficulties, knife only runs, no save runs and such.

Nzyme32

Yeah I saw that...I hate all this timed bullshit

Yeah but at least it is so mind-numbingly obvious that it doesn't even need any thought towards it. It's pretty easy for me to forget about games that are doing that and just get on with all the other stuff I have to play (which is already far more than I can handle), so it fits in to me managing what little time I have for games and "attempting" to be more backlog focused than new game focused.

I think the amount of games getting this treatment are a lot higher than we think, so it is often a nice surprise to hear about the ones that are coming when they eventually get announced

FLD

So regarding Resident Evil 1 Remastered:

- Every now and then, the game goes into slow motion and then back to normal after 2 or 3 seconds. This was much much worse on my old laptop and why I didn't play the game, but a well known issue that Capcom indicate to be spec related - yet even my new computer won't stick to it. Any ideas?

Never experienced this, sorry.

- The last RE game I played properly was many years ago. I have it set to the first choice (which I assume is the hardest difficulty) and the enemies are far harder to kill with a knife than I thought they would be. Going to attempt to continue but just curious if this is a good idea for a first run or to knock the difficulty lower?

The mountain-climbing thing? If so, that's just normal mode. You need to beat the game once to unlock hard. It might take some getting used to but it's very manageable, I think. My first evening with the remaster was pretty brutal and I ended up starting over the next day but it went pretty smoothly after that.

Nzyme32

I never had the problem you describe, but try toggling the framerate option. If you are using 60, try variable, or vice versa.
There's also this FPS fix dll, but I have no idea what it does exactly, so, you know.

I probably wouldn't do harder difficulties immediately, especially since it's your first time through the game. You'll just get frustrated later when you run out of bullets or health and have to start over anyway. After you are able to surf between the zombies with ease and know your way around the map is when I would do harder difficulties, knife only runs, no save runs and such.

Thanks, although lol at the take downs on two of the mirrors:

File Name: FPS Fix.rar (1.12 MB)

Company: MarkMonitor Anti-Piracy Team
Email: eOne.antipiracy.services@ap.markmonitor.com

I'll be careful on trying that if I absolutely have to but I'll mess with the settings and see what happens.

Never experienced this, sorry.

The mountain-climbing thing? If so, that's just normal mode. You need to beat the game once to unlock hard. It might take some getting used to but it's very manageable, I think. My first evening with the remaster was pretty brutal and I ended up starting over the next day but it went pretty smoothly after that.

Yeah that's the one. I'll play it this way then. Thanks!

Ascheroth

Yeah but at least it is so mind-numbingly obvious that it doesn't even need any thought towards it. It's pretty easy for me to forget about games that are doing that and just get on with all the other stuff I have to play (which is already far more than I can handle), so it fits in to me managing what little time I have for games and "attempting" to be more backlog focused than new game focused.

I think the amount of games getting this treatment are a lot higher than we think, so it is often a nice surprise to hear about the ones that are coming when they eventually get announced
I don't really care about normal timed exclusivity, because as you said there's way too many good games available and coming out all the time as is - I just find Niers case extremely annoying because of the dumb backtracking and because it's so amazingly obvious what's going on behind the scenes.
I kind of feel like I'm taking for a fool by SE.

Ah, sorry. I thought of Ni-oh. My bad.

Still wrong, Nioh is Koei :p

Namco is becoming one of the best (the best?) japanese publisher when it comes to day and date console/Steam releases.
The funny thing is that the only reason they've come this far is because people port-begged for Dark Souls.

Nzyme32

I don't really care about normal timed exclusivity, because as you said there's way too many good games available and coming out all the time as is - I just find Niers case extremely annoying because of the dumb backtracking and because it's so amazingly obvious what's going on behind the scenes.
I kind of feel like I'm taking for a fool by SE.

Yeah, I think this is the first time I saw a PC announcement and confirmation of "day and date" get a complete u-turn in a rather obvious quiet way

jtb

Banned
Blew through XCOM 2 in a weekend. Ready for round two. What non-Long War 2 mods should I add on? Grimy's Loot Mod sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Any others?

Also, is the DLC worth it?

--

As an aside, both XCOM games have some of the worst reverse difficulty curves I can remember in some time. The metagame really punishes you early on, while being super thin at the end. Also, the game still runs like total garbage. The game is turned based ffs. Most of the time you only have three enemies to fight at a time anyways. Ridiculous. Would be more frustrating if the core game wasn't so fun.

Nzyme32

Blew through XCOM 2 in a weekend. Ready for round two. What non-Long War 2 mods should I add on? Grimy's Loot Mod sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Any others?

Also, is the DLC worth it?

--

As an aside, both XCOM games have some of the worst reverse difficulty curves I can remember in some time. The metagame really punishes you early on, while being super thin at the end. Also, the game still runs like total garbage. The game is turned based ffs. Most of the time you only have three enemies to fight at a time anyways. Ridiculous. Would be more frustrating if the core game wasn't so fun.

Ha, see my playthrough is much longer, in large part down to the decision to play in Ironman mode and with all the dlc.

Shens last gift is great, it's a sizeable mission with some back story as part of the main game but also some changes to the whole game thanks to what you do and get.

The Alien hunters dlc is rated extremely badly on Steam - but I beg to differ, especially from the perspective of a blind ironman run. It basically introduces some extra story but also drags that out through the entire game, but many people see it as "unfair" due to the huge difficulty it brings with it. It is a surprise to go through and in it's recurring nature, but that challenge and sheer punch in the face is what I love about it. It challenges you to rethink what you will do, and via ironman, if and when you fail, try and get back in the game and some how salvage what mess may happen.

That dlc is easily my biggest disagreement with a set of steam reviews thus far, mostly due to what I look for in xcom

Shens last Gift and Alien Hunters are the best 2.

Yeah boi

How could anyone hate The Witcher 3. That game does so much right, including things it really has no business getting right because of its amount of content.

I hated it. It was just too janky. I am not even talking about the combat. Just moving the character and especially the horse felt like a chore. I played MGS V before and going back from the perfect controls there was just rough.
I didn't care much for the story either to be honest. The Bloody Baron quest everyone kept gushing over did nothing for me.

Nzyme32

Just to confirm - thanks a lot for this one. The dropbox link works and it fixes the issue. I messed with the settings but would still get the odd drop to 40fps. Now it's at well over 100 all the time when uncapped

jtb

Banned
Bloody Baron questline is so overrated. The W3 main quest line/critical path is definitely lackluster, particularly in comparison to the expansions (!) and the prequels.

Witcher 3 definitely got formulaic due to its open world in a way that Witcher 2 didn't. Like Durante says, though, the sheer ambition and production quality of the game (and of that scale) means I quibble out of love.

Shens last Gift and Alien Hunters are the best 2.

Ha, see my playthrough is much longer, in large part down to the decision to play in Ironman mode and with all the dlc.

Shens last gift is great, it's a sizeable mission with some back story as part of the main game but also some changes to the whole game thanks to what you do and get.

The Alien hunters dlc is rated extremely badly on Steam - but I beg to differ, especially from the perspective of a blind ironman run. It basically introduces some extra story but also drags that out through the entire game, but many people see it as "unfair" due to the huge difficulty it brings with it. It is a surprise to go through and in it's recurring nature, but that challenge and sheer punch in the face is what I love about it. It challenges you to rethink what you will do, and via ironman, if and when you fail, try and get back in the game and some how salvage what mess may happen.

That dlc is easily my biggest disagreement with a set of steam reviews thus far, mostly due to what I look for in xcom

Yeah boi

Cool. Both are on sale on Humble, so I'll just pick up the full reinforcement pack and get the third DLC as a freebie I suppose.

I did veteran iron man first time around, though I sunk a lot of time into XCOM 1, so I knew to expect all the crazy random fuckery that these games throw at you the first time around. I do wish the games had less randomness. I'd gladly trade difficulty for less randomness (and less of those absurdly long animations). Didn't discover "Zip mode" until like two thirds of the way through. Can't tell if its placebo, but it certainly seems like the turns go by quicker.

Room 404 was removed as well, but I suspect that was unintentional since it looks like they're going to be putting a demo and the soundtrack on Steam and it doesn't make any sense to do that if you're not selling the game anymore.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wonder what the chances are it'll go on sale for 2.50 on Bundlestars before they run out of keys.

Knew I should have picked it up last time.

Doomedfool

I wonder what the chances are it'll go on sale for 2.50 on Bundlestars before they run out of keys.

Knew I should have picked it up last time.

Kicking myself for not grabbing it while it was on sale. Hell, it's been on sale many times and has been sitting in my wishlist.

I fail :(

Wok

If you already own Slender, Valley reaches the same pricepoint (7 euros) as it was for the price mistake of the Steam Winter sales. When the price mistake was corrected last year, it was set to 8.50 euros (I think).

Ozium can vouch for this game.

Picked up Ark out of curiosity on sale and man does it run like shit and doesn't even look great for that matter. I haven't played a survival game in a while though so maybe I'll just mess with settings and stuff some more

Picked up Ark out of curiosity on sale and man does it run like shit and doesn't even look great for that matter. I haven't played a survival game in a while though so maybe I'll just mess with settings and stuff some more

tried it when it had a free weekend or whatever a while back...ran like complete garbage so I quickly uninstalled it

tried it when it had a free weekend or whatever a while back...ran like complete garbage so I quickly uninstalled it

Kinda weird. For as much as it's sold you'd think they'd want to optimize it but guess not. I played on whatever video settings defaulted to (nvidia 1060 btw) and was getting between 40-55 fps. I'll mess around with it some more later

If you already own Slender, Valley reaches the same pricepoint (7 euros) as it was for the price mistake of the Steam Winter sales. When the price mistake was corrected last year, it was set to 8.50 euros (I think).

Ozium can vouch for this game.

I've had my eye on that game for a while but I'm reluctant to buy it for more than £5 though even though it does look like a lot of fun.

Sarcasm

Kinda weird. For as much as it's sold you'd think they'd want to optimize it but guess not. I played on whatever video settings defaulted to (nvidia 1060 btw) and was getting between 40-55 fps. I'll mess around with it some more later

I will share a launch command you can try when u get out of bed. Should have gotten conan lol

75% off now

Bought it. For some reason I thought I had it already, which is the opposite of what typically happens.

Ghostbusters: The Videogame and Sanctum of Slime were just removed from Steam.

The game released last year is still there.

Shame. GB The Video Game was good even if a lot of the cast sound bored for much of the game. They nailed the mechanics of capturing the ghosts.

Endruen

Am I the only one that has no problems with ARK's perfomance whatsoever? My PC is like 6 years old and I move it at a nice graphical setting and with stable fps. I don't know how many of them, but good enough to play without any issues.

Sarcasm

Am I the only one that has no problems with ARK's perfomance whatsoever? My PC is like 6 years old and I move it at a nice graphical setting and with stable fps. I don't know how many of them, but good enough to play without any issues.

I got it to 60+ FPS with a simple use all cores of my cpu command. Game still looks like shit and still has stupid LOD stutter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Come ooooon xenoverse and pacman CE 2 added tomorow!

Its going to be symphonia and CE 1 isnt it? ;_;

Sarcasm

For all those wanting to try

For Honor open beta starts on the 9th.

You can preload on the uPlay Client. Download is 18GB +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom