• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Did anyone play Sniper Elite 3 recently? I never finished it on release (where it ran flawlessly) but now it just crashes left and right despite stellar performance :(
Upgraded from a 970 to a 1080 in the meantime as well as from Win7 to a fresh Win10 install. I suspect it's software-related. Sucks.

New game from the FTL developers.

This is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR1OpHNgzc

8w7sQEF.gif

Introducing the next game by Subset Games, creators of FTL...

Into The Breach!

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.

Into the Breach is a single-player game coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux (although not simultaneously). There is no planned release date. Ben Prunty, FTL's composer, is making an original soundtrack for the game, and award-winning sound designers PowerUp Audio are heading up the rest of the audio. Chris Avellone is lending his writing talents and world building skills to the team as well.

More info available at http://subsetgames.com/

Annubis

Laughably no.

I mean, I can just bring up Mask of the Betrayer, but there have been several RPGs in the past 15 years to meet that low bar. The Age of Decadence and Shadowrun: Dragonfall comes to mind recently.

I investigated ruins, found an old god, killed it and then nothing happened because nobody ever believed me when I say I slew an old god and saved the world.

Ascheroth

So...is this actually any good? Haven't played any games in the series yet, what would you compare it to?
I don't tink I could compare it to anything, really.
Personally Atelier Sophie is the first of the newer Atelier games for me, the only others I've played were muuuuuch older, (Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris on PS2).

I'd say Atelier Sophie is a JRPG with turn-based combat, a heavy focus on crafting, with an extremely in-depth system that is similiar to a puzzle game and allows for a ton of experimentation and customization, and a comfy slice-of-life story and atmosphere instead of world-threatining evil and danger everywhere.

Orgen

Well I played 2 hours of disgaea last night.

During the week I am usually playing at least 1-2 hours at home while during my lunch break I use my 3DS for the hour I get.

So I guess I play 3-4 hours a day during the weekdays while I g all out during the weekends which could go up to 8-9 hours.

I been doing a somewhat of a marathon though during the weekend knocking out short games I have on steam so I can make my backlog not as bad as it is now ;p

Mannnnn I wish I could put that kind of hours in gaming but for me is impossible so props to you! :D

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Chris Avellone is writing for the next game from the FTL devs? Well alright then. That's weird and cool.

It sounded exciting when I read that they're doing away with straight Paragon/Renegade options, until it was followed up with being replaced by the different tones of voice options that was so terrible in DA:I and Fallout 4.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the best RPG stories of the last 15 years. 3 to an extent until you get to the end.

The story in 3 was a mess way before the end.

Xanathus

Just finished all of the Witcher 3 DLCs, and 100% all of the achievements. Blood & Wine was amazing, it even has a split near the end that has very different experiences which adds replayability. They didn't have to do that.

JarrodL

It sounded exciting when I read that they're doing away with straight Paragon/Renegade options, until it was followed up with being replaced by the different tones of voice options that was so terrible in DA:I and Fallout 4.

I actually loved how they did the dialogue options in DAI, at least in those conversations that did have multiple dialogue options. It's certainly an improvement over ME system - instead of merely choosing goodass/badass approach, you pick your character's response attitude - witty, angry, flirty, empathic/emotional, and so on. There was even a fair amount of race or class-specific dialog options, if I remember correctly. What's so terrible about that?

For me, Fallout: New Vegas, is a big offender on this front. It's one of my own all-time favourite open-world games, yet I wasted a sizeable chunk of my first playthrough undertaking tedious handiwork for the game's minor factions to the point where the central narrative ultimately became less effective.

Is this quote from the Bioware designer or the guy interviewing him for the magazine or the guy who wrote this online article for PCGamer?

yuraya

I don't know how anyone could diss New Vegas and its side quests. The game has some of the most memorable and funniest choice driven quests you can find in any rpg. Come fly with me is one of the all time great quests in any game. Its like the first thing I looked forward to when replaying the game. Just thinking about how deep, entertaining and immersive the quests/writing in that game was is making me want to replay it for like the 4th time. It really was Obsidian's magnum opus.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the best RPG stories of the last 15 years. 3 to an extent until you get to the end.

2 yes. 1 not so much. The ending and the latter half of that game was just a bit too weak imo.

Grief.exe

Wow The Forest came out in 2014

Seems like they are updating the game diligently and still have a high User Score, which generally reflects a healthy EA development cycle.

I bought The Forest day one, played around with it a bit, then shelved it. Should check it out sometime soon.

Lomax

6000 sales is awful. It might not be perfect, but Atelier deserves more than that.

CPU requirements are actually really low. It's just badly programmed so it leaves your CPU idling on nothing but never frees them up. It's just wasted CPU time.

The fanmade DLL fixes that for the most part.

It's day one sales, it isn't great, but pc isn't a day one platform. That's still 100k in revenue. Any company not looking at the long tail especially when it comes to late ports isn't really aware of the market. Besides, it's a niche game late port with zero marketing, word of mouth takes time.

Wow The Forest came out in 2014

Seems like they are updating the game diligently and still have a high User Score, which generally reflects a healthy EA development cycle.

I bought The Forest day one, played around with it a bit, then shelved it. Should check it out sometime soon.

Another one of those games that I was super excited to get in a bundle and then never played, I really need to give it a shot.

jtb

Banned
I always hated how the industry shafted FTL from GOTY convos. That game is more fun and better designed than just about any game that's released in the 2010s, for my money.

Mass Effect 1 has a barely passable story. (And I say that as a huge fan of the game). The sequels' writing is fucking abysmal.

Grief.exe

L# = LeagueSharp

Arguably the best public (and detected at times) hack that basically made you godly on several LoL champions. After a long running legal battle with Riot the authors of the hack decided to shut it down.

Did you think this was League OT? That's a very niche discussion topic to just drop.

I always hated how the industry shafted FTL from GOTY convos. That game is more fun and better designed than just about any game that's released in the 2010s, for my money.

Mass Effect 1 has a barely passable story. (And I say that as a huge fan of the game). The sequels' writing is fucking abysmal.

No marketing budget, no GOTY. It's a popularity contest.

louiedog

A better path for digital distribution
The next step in these improvements is to establish a new direct sign-up system for developers to put their games on Steam. This new path, which we're calling ”Steam Direct," is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.

While we have invested heavily in our content pipeline and personalized store, we're still debating the publishing fee for Steam Direct. We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we'd like to gather more feedback before settling on a number.

Jawmuncher

Laughably no.

I mean, I can just bring up Mask of the Betrayer, but there have been several RPGs in the past 15 years to meet that low bar. The Age of Decadence and Shadowrun: Dragonfall comes to mind recently.

That's a good joke Jaw. I chuckled.

Oh, so you haven't gotten to play The Witcher 3, Fallout New Vegas, or any other RPG in the last 15 years? Boy are you in for a treat.

Jesus christ man. You continue to O.O with your taste in games.

The story in 3 was a mess way before the end.

Alright there Jaw.

I don't know how anyone could diss New Vegas and its side quests. The game has some of the most memorable and funniest choice driven quests you can find in any rpg. Come fly with me is one of the all time great quests in any game. Its like the first thing I looked forward to when replaying the game. Just thinking about how deep, entertaining and immersive the quests/writing in that game was is making me want to replay it for like the 4th time. It really was Obsidian's magnum opus.

2 yes. 1 not so much. The ending and the latter half of that game was just a bit too weak imo.

I feel like you're trolling. Ye, definitely trolling.

One day you'll all realize I'm right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Would a "recoupable" application fee stop abuse?

Well, it means that someone will only abuse the system if their expected value of releasing the game is above the fee, and also ensures that if someone wants to release 10 junk gams, they'll have to spread them out

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say, $500 upfront would remove a lot of the game currently being 'sold' on Steam.
But I have to wonder how that'd affect Freeware titles...

They'd have to have a different mechanism in place for F2P.

on another note....holy crap! Advance Wars from the FTL devs?

There is a scene in Mass Effect which I think is one of the best I have ever experienced.

It is when you meet Vigil and learn what happened to the Protheans. The music from the title screen plays there and everything about that scene is thematically perfect for me.

louiedog

Would a "recoupable" application fee stop abuse?

It could.

Let's say you have to pay Valve $4,000 and they don't take their cut of the Steam sales until that's paid back.

If you've made a $2 trash game that you only intend to make money off of keys in really cheap bundles you might not get that $4,000 back because of really low Steam sales.

Arulan

As long as they continue down the path of no content curation, but improving content discovery, that's good. And it looks like Steam Direct continues to do that, but perhaps stopping some of the fraudulent attempts at publishing.

So, even less quality control? Just requires a fee upfront.
That doesn't sound good at all.

There shouldn't be any content quality control, beyond basic-level checks against fraud, malware, etc.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
New game from Subset Games and RIP Greenlight.

Today was a good day

Grief.exe

Oh right because we never have non-steam discussions in STEAM threads.

I was just pointing out that your initial post was an extremely niche topic with almost no identifying information.

In many ways, this thread is PC gaming general OT, but that got a little too specific. My initial thought after reading your follow-up post is you meant to put that in the League OT.

One day you'll all realize I'm right.

Shallow games tend to get worse with age, not better 😂😂😂😂😂

Unai

One of the clearest metrics is that the average time customers spend playing games on Steam has steadily increased since the first Discovery Update. Over the same time period, the average number of titles purchased on Steam by individual customers has doubled. Both of these data points suggest that we’re achieving our goal of helping users find more games that they enjoy playing.

This part is really interesting.

Phinor

I wish their discovery features worked at least occasionally for me. I don't think I've learned about a new interesting game through Steam in the past year or two, it's all crap and garbage they suggest, half of it anime or horror which are two genres I just about never play. All the games that are interesting to me I find through news sites / message boards / other sources, including other online store fronts.

It might one of those self-fulfilling narratives though. Because I never find anything new and interesting through Steam, I use Steam for trying to find anything less and less, so I never find anything new and interesting through Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom