• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I'll elaborate on 80 Days: it conveys the feeling of wonder and discovery really really well. And it's not just travelling around the world: it's about living in a rapidly expanding world where anything is possible. That's actually one of the best thing about the Jules Verne books: a certain feeling of constant surprise at what the people are else up to.

It's also something that I think is unique to the era in which the game is set. The technological progress was going at an extremely steady pace in the XIXth century, but the information actually travelled rather slowly. So there must have been a lot of rumors about various technological advances in faraway places, as well as wars and other events. That all combined must have made the world feel like a very large place and, as I said earlier ever-expanding. Making the game's setting different was a very smart move (for those not in the know, it's sort of like steampunk crossed with magical realism, all very Jules Vernesian). It places you in the same position with the characters: your real-world knowledge doesn't really give you any advantage here and you have to rely on rumors and firsthand experience just as they are. Combine that with the writing being seriously good and the engaging game flow (its particular aspects adding to the overall mystique), and you get a game that feels truly magical.

bbd23

Has anyone played Pillars of Eternity with an xbox one controller?
I know theres an official config for the steam controller by the devs...would that translate well to the xbox for the most part?

Battlechili

Banned
What even was the last good game released on steam anyway?

Metal Gear Solid V?
Atelier Sophie came out on the 7th, so three days ago.
And MGSV was awful. It has less gameplay mechanics than MGS4 and requires the player to complete repetitive missions whilst traveling between long stretches of desert full of nothing just to get to objectives.

Nzyme32

Has anyone played Pillars of Eternity with an xbox one controller?
I know theres an official config for the steam controller by the devs...would that translate well to the xbox for the most part?

Terrible idea imo. Or rather extremely tedious. By the nature of the game being RTwP, you'd have to pause every second or less in some battles and then laboriously go through the motions of setting everything the way you need to adapt. Mouse movement is pretty essential, especially if since a bunch of times it makes more sense to let things play and quickly make the changes in real time, otherwise you'd be there forever with some combat. For turn based combat it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but RTwP, nah

And MGSV was awful. It has less gameplay mechanics than MGS4 and requires the player to complete repetitive missions whilst traveling between long stretches of desert full of nothing just to get to objectives.
That is objectively wrong.

yuraya

It has less gameplay mechanics than MGS4

nope-DCIce8.gif

bbd23

Terrible idea imo. Or rather extremely tedious. By the nature of the game being RTwP, you'd have to pause every second or less in some battles and then laboriously go through the motions of setting everything the way you need to adapt. Mouse movement is pretty essential, especially if since a bunch of times it makes more sense to let things play and quickly make the changes in real time, otherwise you'd be there forever with some combat. For turn based combat it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but RTwP, nah

yea....i figured. oh well.

ill get the game eventually...i've always had an eye on it but I kinda hate using my current keyboard/mouse now. should really get one of those wireless setups

Shitting on MGS5 while claiming Atelier is good. Not a good look man.

I didn't really trust the G2A pay method so I just googled around for their controlling interests' personal contact info and sent them copies of my SSN card and birth certificate, while physically mailing them my cards.

To sleep well at night.

It has less gameplay mechanics than MGS4

Okay, but how much graphics does it have? Probably way more since it's not on PS3.

Curious how your two thoughts on Rev 2 will developed, I liked it personally despite it being budgeted but I still can't quite articulate my thoughts 100% on the title.

I wound up liking it quite a bit as well. It's only the 3rd Resident Evil game I've played after 6 and Revelations 1 so I'm not at all qualified to say how it stands up with the other games in the series, but it was a fun campy horror story with good environments and solid combat. Mechanically not as good as 6, but enemies and encounters were way better and controls were a breath a fresh air coming right off of Revelations 1 which really felt like it was made for a handheld.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Praise Chairmanchuck, the best member of SteamGAF. He, who is always there for you.
- Only members with 10000000 posts or more are eligible for this raffle.

t1cxE6r.gif
Lords of the Fallen -- MB-5D6F7FC76F916F6A - Taken by longlivegaming. 9 entrants total.
Dirt 3 -- MB-220D0278B9220C6A
Syberia -- MB-867CC7D6992A6BE7
Syberia 2 -- MB-276480C4277C7CF6 - Taken by PaulSane. 1 entrants total.

t1486777873z1.png

Wow, that bundle from the site that shouldn't be mentioned seems a little too good to be true.

Not sure if I can resist Superhot and Lords of the Fallen at that price though.

Lomax

It is a lego game, so if you kind of played them you know how it goes.

Wife and I enjoy it CoOp wise.

I logged in and punched a horse to pieces. Would buy again/10.

Does it coop like traditional Lego games? My impression was it was more like Minecraft.

yoshizzle

Wow, that bundle from the site that shouldn't be mentioned seems a little too good to be true.

What makes it even more tempting:
Each Deal is created in close cooperation with game developers or publishers themselves (no third-party sellers involved) to make sure every gamer is satisfied with every pack, every month. All the keys are Steam-activated and acquired directly from developers to remove any unnecessary steps between you and your games.
Don't know if I can trust though...

Tektonic

G2A shadiness comes from individuals buying keys from developers with stolen credit cards, and then reselling them on G2A.

Question: tomorrow you find out that you bought an item from eBay. That item was sold to you, but was purchased with a stolen credit card originally. Do you boycott eBay?

I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser. I don't have any vested interest in that site. But I am trying to justify my purchase of that bundle 🤔

gngf123

It's too good to be true because it's almost guaranteed the developers have not given the okay to this.

The Dirt and Syberia keys seem to be marketing for their respective upcoming sequels as well. They invite you to subscribe to their respective mailers for news about them.

I couldn't resist, I'm part of the problem though I only paid one off, no subscription.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

DiRT 3 Complete Edition -- MB-08BEE469D9F38122 - Taken by Nomadic Sparks
Syberia -- MB-B64B2E48A706F7CE - Taken by SunDimension24
Syberia II -- MB-392B37C1E1549A0F - Taken by gurm3n

Even though they were just on sale the other day it looks like all the Disney Infinity stuff is gone from Gamersgate. Glad I bought one while it was on sale, they were the only retailer selling the stuff that I could buy from in the US without using a VPN.

Battlechili

Banned
That is objectively wrong.
What would you call not being able to switch to whatever weapons you have collected overall whenever you want? MGS4 let you do that but in MGSV you can only carry a limited selection of weapons and otherwise have to call in a helicopter to drop supplies to change your loadout. What would you call not being able to change your camoflauge whenever you want however you want like in 3/not being able to change your camo depending on the environment you're touching like in 4? Where did those gameplay mechanics go? Or what about finding, managing, and using rations and other healing items to bring back lost health? Or being able to use the codec to talk to whoever you wanted that you could call whenever you pleased?

I'm sorry if this comes off as somewhat blunt/rude, but I REALLY hate MGSV. It was the biggest disappointment of 2015 for me and didn't feel like a Metal Gear game. Its too limiting in ways that it shouldn't be, and its lacking in things that it should. Not having to scavenge for and conserve rations means that the game rewards you for not being stealthy, as all you need to do is stay out of fire for a short period of time before you can go back into the fray. There's less incentive to take a stealth path. In addition, the lack of free codec calls means the game feels more lonely and quiet. You also get significantly less information about your environments, the people and enemies you interact with, etc than you did before. Codec calls during boss fights gave huge amounts of data about the person you're fighting before, and all that is gone. There's less character of a focus on the characters and world because of this, basically. It was also just fun being able to experiment with the variety of weapons at your disposal. Granted, MGSV still gives you a decent number of weapons per mission, but its still less and not as free as MGS4's. Playing around with and figuring out what weapons you like is no longer nearly as viable as it was a thing to do, taking away from the player's control and freedom of all things. And MGSV was open world. It was supposed to be a game that gave the player more freedom than ever, but it felt like you were given less rather than more in my opinion because of these reasons I presented.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just watched Nabs play through the Hollow Knight demo, yeah thats a day 1 for sure, especially for $15 (13.50 on humble cause of monthly discount), that shit looks fantastic, its very clear upper tier metroidvania just from the demo

Lomax

Even though they were just on sale the other day it looks like all the Disney Infinity stuff is gone from Gamersgate. Glad I bought one while it was on sale, they were the only retailer selling the stuff that I could buy from in the US without using a VPN.

Wish I hadn't missed that deal :( hopefully they'll go on sale on Steam before too terribly long.

diaspora

Is it possible to block steam from being able to affect my controllers? It turned them all into fucking KB/M. I don't want to reconfigure them in steam, I don't want Steam to be able to change their behaviour at all.

jediyoshi

Is it possible to block steam from being able to affect my controllers? It turned them all into fucking KB/M. I don't want to reconfigure them in steam, I don't want Steam to be able to change their behaviour at all.

Completely? In Steam Big Picture Mode -> Settings -> Controller Settings, uncheck the support boxes.

Tektonic

I only mention that tweet because as quoted 2 pages ago, IMGN distributed superhot retail copies.

Until developers either come out and complain or admit collusion, we won't know

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont doubt for a second that G2A is shady, but you would think devs would come out hot and heavy to deny any involvment with them with stuff like this, especially the Superhot guys

Coldsun

Banned

MGS5 has less mechanics? I've got to ask. Have you ever played 5? I mean like more than the intro?

Kifimbo

I dont doubt for a second that G2A is shady, but you would think devs would come out hot and heavy to deny any involvment with them with stuff like this, especially the Superhot guys

Bundle launched tonight, while the SUPERHOT team members were probably sleeping (and still are) because they live in Poland.

It is currently 3:30 AM in Poland right now so it might be a minute before they find out about this and respond.

Rhaknar

Today I learned the Superhot devs are Polish.

Endruen

Can we use a bit of common sense now?
G2A has enough bad reputation already. It would be literal bussiness suicide to say that they worked together with the developers to make this bundle and then all be a lie.
And it's a bundle made by the makers of G2A, not random sellers, so there should be no stolen cards involved.

Can we use a bit of common sense now?
G2A has enough bad reputation already. It would be literal bussiness suicide to say that they worked together with the developers to make this bundle and then all be a lie.
And it's a bundle made by the makers of G2A, not random sellers, so there should be no stolen cards involved.

Who knows?

I mean even sites likes Indiegala, Groupees and other bundle sites did that. They signed a deal with a dev (e.g. the 2064 ROM dev) for the game, while the developer thought it will be used in a bundle somewhere in the future and was then bundled shortly after release.

Battlechili

Banned
MGS5 has less mechanics? I've got to ask. Have you ever played 5? I mean like more than the intro?
About 10 hours worth. I'm not exactly sure how much I've played as I let one of my friends play it on my computer and he played it way more than I did (Steam says it has 35 hours on it). Definitely more than the intro.

Last major event I remember was
Sahelanthropus chasing after me
and
having to go rescue Otakon.
I realize that's not a whole lot, but shouldn't that be enough to get a good feel for the gameplay and be able to compare it to its predecessors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom