• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Lyphen said:
I'm on the fence with GTA4. Great price, but I hear nothing but dissapointment from GTA3/VC/SA fans. Plus, you need a quad-core for decent performance (X3 435 here). AND it's bloated with SecuROM, RS Social Club and GFW?
Sounds like too many negatives....

That's flat out false. The game uses three heavy threads, so it'll run great on your triple core CPU, an average modern dual core (say a E6600) will give you performance similar performance to the 360 version and you'll get significantly better than that. The numerous patches have helped a lot as well.

SmZA

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is clear sky a better experience than the first Stalker?
Absolutely not. The graphics are nicer and the enhanced weapons are fun but the first game has plenty of community mods that will make up for that. In addition Clear Sky's plot is the worst I've seen in a long time, especially the ending.

Buy only the first game and play it to death. If at some later date you feel you must buy CS it will undoubtedly go on special again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
any more impression of 'the void' i read the link here. "if you're looking for something fun, don't get this game' isn't exactly a glowing review :p

Spec, you are a monster tearing up all the steam goodness!

Some of you guys, I just can't believe, over 200 games :p

must...resist...eidos pack.......

Tokubetsu

Grayman said:
I grabbed demos of a bunch of the games mentioned here.

I am on the fence about the witcher. I don't know much about it but see it mentioned lots. Same deal with the Void.
Pretty sure you could have patched Doom 3 to the most recent version and done that.

The Witcher, Mask of The Betrayer (NWN2) and Dragon Age Origins are the best wrpgs of the last 6 years.

Wark

Tonight I picked up:

* Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
* King's Quest Collection
* LucasArts Pack -
The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom
* Shooter Pack - Alien Shooter, Alien Shooter: Revisted, Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded, and Zombie Shooter
* Space Quest Collection
* Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan that! Double Back
* Torchlight

I double-dipped on the King's Quest, LucasArts, and Space Quest games for the sake of convenience even though I already own the retail versions. :lol

And a little later I'm going to rape my wallet:
* Aquaria
* Broken Sword: Twin Pack -
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon (I really wish the pack included the other games though).
* Defense Grid
* Indigo Prophecy
* Machinarium
* Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
* Samorost2
* Shadowgrounds Pack -
Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds: Survivor
* S.T.A.L.K.E.R
* Star Wars: Jedi Knight Collection -
Star Wars: Dark Forces, Star Wars: Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith
* Trials HD
* Trine
* The Witcher
* World of Goo
* Zeno Clash

Grayman

Tokubetsu said:
The Witcher, Mask of The Betrayer (NWN2) and Dragon Age Origins are the best wrpgs of the last 6 years.
Is The Witcher a little more open ended than the others?

I like my WRPGs running around getting lost. My favourites would be the Fallout games and Morrowind. I enjoyed Dragon Age and the first NWN but do not want to pick up another like them right now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wark said:
Tonight I picked up:

* Space Quest Collection

i'd get this just for sqiv cd-rom and sqvi....since getting them to run in dosbox never works for me. it comes with the cd version of iv, right?

Just bought a shitload of stuff:

- Unreal Pack
- id Super Pack
- Torchlight
- Audiosurf
- Outrun 2006 C2C
- Oddworld Pack

Damn you GAF, DAMN YOU STEAM!

Bought GTAIV, but didn't have the money for STALKER. Gotta get money on my debit card by tonight so I don't miss out!

Definitely getting the FO3 pack though; amazing deal.

The_Dude

Bought...

Aquaria
Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood
Lucasarts Adventure Collection
Machinarium
Puzzle Quest
Rogue Trooper
Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl
Trials 2

...and now feeling guilty for spending money I shouldn't really have spent. :D Hope there's nothing else I want in the daily sales!

I also was going to buy Machinarium through the developers website, but forgot to remove it from my Steam cart before I paid. Stupid! :(

Tokubetsu

Grayman said:

I like my WRPGs running around getting lost. My favourites would be the Fallout games and Morrowind. I enjoyed Dragon Age and the first NWN but do not want to pick up another like them right now.

A little, you can't get lost but it's not as linear as NWN2 but DA has it beat with the open world map. Biggest thing is The Witcher's world is actually interesting and unique for the most part. Dragon Age was touting the whole "dark fantasy" shtick but The Witcher does it right and a lot better than DA.

Dynoro

evlcookie said:
Kayne and lynch for $14. Yes? No? Ignoring the hate it got for the gamespot stupidity.
Bug ridden hell of a game on the PC - I bought it at launch and would never go back to it

Grayman said:

The Witcher isn't very open ended. The game is broken up into chapters. You can do various sidequests within those chapters, but the main quest itself is linear. Once you complete a chapter, you generally leave the area and any remaining quests behind. There isn't much exploring to do.

Fredescu

Grayman said:
You should check out Risen or Divinity II. The Witcher is awesome, but doesn't really fit that bill.

So far they haven´t discounted a single game that I had hoped for.

ArmA 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Dreamfall
Fallout 2
Medievall II: Total War - Kingdoms.
Psychonauts
Spore

I have already bought Medievall II, Torchlight, Mass Effect, Starwars Kotor and The Witcher during the last months sales, and I bought World of Goo on last years holiday sale.

Considering Morrowind and Oblivion now, but 25% off is really good enough since I just want to double dip on thoose.

By the way, if you haven´t purchased World of Goo previously, and don´t consider doing it now. Then you need to give your credit card to someone more worthy of it.

Its that good. :D

Dina

€ 1,99 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
€ 4,99 RedLynx Trials 2: Second Edition
€ 3,05 Indigo Prophecy
€ 9,99 The Void
€ 2,24 LucasArts Adventure Pack
€ 10,19 The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
€ 3,99 Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack
€ 3,99 Shadowgrounds Pack

Total: €38,43

Oreoleo

In for GTA4, Luxor 3 and Outrun 2006. Shattered Horizon is tempting at $15, but I'm holding out for a daily deal.

....PC upgrade is right around the corner. I can feel it.

Tokubetsu

CecilRousso said:
So far they haven´t discounted a single game that I had hoped for.

Dragon Age: Origins
Dreamfall
Fallout 2
Medievall II: Total War
Psychonauts
Spore

I have already bought Medievall II, Torchlight, Mass Effect, Starwars Kotor and The Witcher during the last months sales, and I bought World of Goo on last years holiday sale.

Considering Morrowind and Oblivion now, but 25% off is really good enough since I just want to double dip on thoose.

By the way, if you haven´t purchased World of Goo previously, and don´t consider doing it now. Then you need to give your credit card to someone more worthy of it.

Its that good. :D

What are you talking about? Medieval 2 total war is 4.99.

Fredescu said:
DA:O was ~$38 during the black friday sales, so I'd expect a similar price point on a limited sale this time around. Fallout 2 is on sale over on GoG for $3.89 http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout_2

Yeah, I might buy FA2 on Good Old Games. They need some support as well. :)

By the way, what are peoples opinion on X3? Is it worth getting now at half the price?

Tokubetsu said:
What are you talking about? Medieval 2 total war is 4.99.

My bad, I meant Medieval 2: Total War - Kingdoms. I will correct it.

Ourobolus

Banned
DAMN YOU STEAM!
All I have with me is my netbook for the next few months... :'( Oh well, I'm going to buy a bunch of games so that I can play them when I get home and build a new desktop.

Think I'll pick up...
Machinarium
Oddworld
Trine
World of goo
Mirror's edge
Indigo prophecy
Unreal deal pack
Audiosurf
Beyond good and evil
GTA4
The void

If DA:O drops, I might double-dip since my PS3 is busted.

tabsina

name me a song to try out for the audiosurf demo.. i'm liking it so far.. but i want an amazing song to try out before i pay (i don't know why.. 2.50 shouldn't even be a question - damn you steam)

Waku

So the wise choice for the pactient would be to wait out the Daily Deals and then go to town on Jan. 3 for the rest, correct? Those other Sales will go till Jan. 3, not only the Dailies?

dejan

I'm skimming through some of these deals and ... it's insane. Can't wait to get home from work ... there's money to be spent.

Im completely lost on what to pick up. Picked out so far:

Torchlight
Braid
Indigo Prophecy
possibly The Void & The Witcher

Need more unique and quirky games to fill my hunger.

sub_zer0 said:

Torchlight
Braid
Indigo Prophecy

Altitude and World of Goo are good choices if you haven´t already bought them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Need some impressions on The Void!

The_Dude said:
Bought...

Aquaria
Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood
Lucasarts Adventure Collection
Machinarium
Rogue Trooper
Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl
Trials 2

Wow, good man! Totally underrated and underappreciated game.

Waku said:
So the wise choice for the pactient would be to wait out the Daily Deals and then go to town on Jan. 3 for the rest, correct? Those other Sales will go till Jan. 3, not only the Dailies?

That's how I interpreted it, yes.

Xapati

shopping.jpg

So many games, I'm completely overwhelmed :D I think I'm gonna start with Aquaria and The Void. I'm not sure about Mirror's Edge, but at that price...

...>.> Anyone willing to gift me Shadow of Chernobyl? I'd be able to gift you a game back, but I won't be able to add money to my debit card until after its deal expires.

sub_zer0 said:

Torchlight
Braid
Indigo Prophecy

Do you have Audiosurf? At the price it is right now... Not buying it could be considered a war crime. Your not a war criminal are you?

Xapati said:
shopping.jpg

So many games, I'm completely overwhelmed :D I think I'm gonna start with Aquaria and The Void. I'm not sure about Mirror's Edge, but at that price...

Be sure to post your impressions of the Void in this thread asap. Would really like to here some more GAF impressions before the sale ends.

sonicmj1 said:
Bought Defense Grid, Trine, and The Void.

I'm definitely set until Bayonetta hits.

You as well. ;)

bathala

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, but one game. EA has many games on Steam.

I was totally expecting MoH Airborne for $5 or other such deals, but it's only Mirror's Edge. Not that I'm complaining, since everyone should own Mirror's Edge.
I don't mind the one game a day. As long as the discount makes a big difference

EDIT: Holy shit, Aquaria is on sale.

Top Bottom