• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Twig

Banned
oh yeah i'm late to this thread

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GODDAMN SHIT FUCK YOU VALVE MY MONEY GO BOOM etc etc etc

Haven't bought anything YET. Gonna wait.

Blu_LED:
Is the Valve complete pack worth it for someone who has NEVER played a Valve game before? Or should I just cut the corners, and buy the essentials (Orange Box, L4D1 and 2, HL:1)?
YES!

L4D2 Just came out a couple weeks ago. That is worth half the price right there.

If didn't already own more than 1/2 the Valve games, I'd get it. But I already own the vast majority of those games.

Hell, it is worth $75 alone to kill teletubbies.

L2hvbWUvbDRkbW9kcy9wdWJsaWNfaHRtbC9pbWFnZXMvc3Rvcmllcy9MZWZ0NFRlbGV0dWJiaWVzL2w0ZF9ob3NwaXRhbDAxX2FwYXJ0bWVudDAwMDEuanBn.jpg
L2hvbWUvbDRkbW9kcy9wdWJsaWNfaHRtbC9pbWFnZXMvc3Rvcmllcy9MZWZ0NFRlbGV0dWJiaWVzL2w0ZF9haXJwb3J0MDFfZ3JlZW5ob3VzZTAwMDAuanBn.jpg

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?op...ies-have-been-infected&catid=2:news&Itemid=13

Brashnir

Tokubetsu said:
I come back from a night of drinking to this. Quick, someone help a drunk gaffer not ruin his credit and said his checking account into the red!

Go to bed. Go directly to bed. To not pass go, and for God's sake, do not pass the Steam Store. All the deals will still be there when you wake up sober.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Brashnir said:
Go to bed. Go directly to bed. To not pass go, and for God's sake, do not pass the Steam Store. All the deals will still be there when you wake up sober.

Most of them will probably be there anyway. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Does Painkiller Black work fine on Windows 7? I remember having trouble with regular Painkiller in Windows Vista a few years back.

Also, are no EA games discounted?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd participate but the Steam store hates my PayPal account for some reason. Probably because I'm Australian. Despite what I try to buy it always tells me I have insufficiant funds in my PayPal account. I clearly dont; ~AU$10. Trying to purcahse a ~US$2 gives the same message, even when I convert the cash to US and make it my primary balance.

Stupid PayPal.

Everdred

Definite:
Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.49
Oddworld Pack - $2.49
Braid - $2.49
Machinarium - $9.99
The Void - $9.99
RedLynx Trials 2: Second Edition - $4.99
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut - $13.59
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$46.03

Maybe:
Eidos Collector Pack - $49.99
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast - $2.49
Unreal Deal Pack - $14
The Chronicles of Riddick™ Assault on Dark Athena - $7
Borderlands - $34
NBA 2K10 - $13.39
World of Goo - $4.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - $4.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent - $4.99
Rome: Total War™ - Gold - $2.49
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Vegas 2 - $4.99
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3 - $4.99
Trine - $7.99
Torchlight - $9.99
World in Conflict: Complete Edition - $9.99
Company of Heroes: Gold - $14.99
Telltale Everything Pack - $50
Zeno Clash - $7.49
Shadowground Pack - $4.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$253.75

Well here's my list...

SuperEnemyCrab said:
It's playable with a keyboard. If you have a wired Xbox 360 controller or the wireless PC device it detects it automatically and plays perfectly.
Wat?

Sold.

Can someone list/suggest games that will work great with the 360 pad? I've got that wireless 360 USB dongle and I might as well pick up a zillion games that will use it. My computer has an HDMI output, so by connecting it to the HDTV and using the 360 controller, these are all just as good as couch console games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm on the fence with GTA4. Great price, but I hear nothing but dissapointment from GTA3/VC/SA fans. Plus, you need a quad-core for decent performance (X3 435 here). AND it's bloated with SecuROM, RS Social Club and GFW?
Sounds like too many negatives....

tabsina

argh.. i bought lucas arts adventure pack back when it was $20 and haven't had time to play any of them.. now they are 2.50??!!

bloody steam :lol

btw - any say on whether GtA 4 works on Windows 7 x64?

Lyphen said:
I'm on the fence with GTA4. Great price, but I hear nothing but dissapointment from GTA3/VC/SA fans. Plus, you need a quad-core for decent performance (X3 435 here). AND it's bloated with SecuROM, RS Social Club and GFW?
Sounds like too many negatives....

i played it for a grand total of about 2 hrs or so on a friends pc when it came out.. i loved 3, VC and SA (and went as far as completely clocking them).. but 2 hrs back then was more than enough time for me to get over any urge i had to play the game.. it didn't do it for me like i thought it would

that said.. for $8... i'm happy to give it another go, on my own computer

GHG

Gold Member
Right my cart is £121 as it stands having gone through everything.

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Grand Theft Auto IV
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack
Samorost2
LucasArts Adventure Pack
Indigo Prophecy
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Shadowgrounds Pack
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Dark Sector
Gothic 3
Driver® Parallel Lines
Madballs in... Babo:Invasion
Penumbra Collector Pack
Eidos Collector Pack
Telltale Everything Pack

Way too much money, but I kind of want everything there...

So GAF, I ask you, what should I remove? Any games on here that I should just flat out avoid?

Hmmm... maybe if I buy half today and half in like a couple of days it wont seem so bad :lol .

Tokubetsu

Okay, I'm exerting some will now. So the deals of the day are gonna be there only for awhile but everything else will stay the same till the 3rd? So I can get Machinarium later this week etc?

zugzug

clip said:
No, wait for Call of Pripyat if you want more stalker.

Doh , well since I missed Stalker on sale twice on steam at $1.99 possibly ending in couple got it.....and then I got Stalker:Clear Sky as well impulse, yeah i prolly coulda not gotten clear sky, heh not even 5minutes later buyer remorse on Clear Sky. :p

Couple others look interesting but I should resist

Tokubetsu

Yea, I think I'm going to bed. I'm drunk and tempted to even reuy The Witchre which I already own and currently have installed just because it's on steam.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Yeah, I am already at $130 and that is just my first run through. I think I am going to hold off a day or so before actually ordering. A few things I might back out on after thinking a bit. Here is what I have so far.

Samorost2
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
Red Faction Guerrilla
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection
Star Wars Republic Commando
Deus Ex: GotY Editon
Dawn of Discovery
Tropico 3
Luxor 3
World in Conflict: Complete Edition
Machinarium

benjipwns

Banned
Ugh, Eidos pack. Was hoping a few of those games could be had for 60+% off for this sale, and now all of those for $50...plus those horrible Conflict and Shellshock games. Having those in your account and games list must be the shame required to partake in this deal.

Everyone needs to buy Defense Grid.

KillerAJD

tabsina said:
argh.. i bought lucas arts adventure pack back when it was $20 and haven't had time to play any of them.. now they are 2.50??!!

bloody steam :lol

btw - any say on whether GtA 4 works on Windows 7 x64?

i played it for a grand total of about 2 hrs or so on a friends pc when it came out.. i loved 3, VC and SA (and went as far as completely clocking them).. but 2 hrs back then was more than enough time for me to get over any urge i had to play the game.. it didn't do it for me like i thought it would

that said.. for $8... i'm happy to give it another go, on my own computer

Works fine on my buddies rig, and he's running W7 x64. Pretty resource intensive, but hey, $8, right?

Dambrosi

Banned
This sale will ruin me. I can't even play these games until I get a new HD :lol

So far, I've bought:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (2009 Complete mod already downloaded in preparation)

I have these two in my cart:

Audiosurf
Sniper Elite (is this really as good as I hear? Replies may influence my purchasing decision, so please reply!)

And I've downloaded the demos for these:

Torchlight (might get Titan's Quest Gold instead)
Titan's Quest
Painkiller Black
Time, Gentlemen, Please!
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Zombie Shooter 2 (might get the Complete Shooter Pack instead)

Waiting on:

The Witcher (14GB?! Not until my new HD arrives!)
L4D2 (already have L4D GOTY from the Thanksgiving sale)
Dragon Age: Origins (...maybe)

I hope I've got enough in my PayPal account for the next couple of weeks :lol

Anything else I should look out for?

Boards of Canada said:
The id super pack is AMAZING. Getting that immediately.
I picked it up just so I don't have to put the Doom 3 disc in. :lol

Holy crap . . . I need to buy a new desktop PC. I've bought a ton of PC games this year including some 4 "Complete" packs. (id, telltale, THQ, Eidos . . . ). I might as well get a kick-ass PC to play them on.

benjipwns

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Sniper Elite (is this really as good as I hear? Replies may influence my purchasing decision, so please reply!)
It and Evil Genius, from Rebellion, are both worth more than $2 in my opinion.

There's a demo for Sniper Elite, since the deal on it is for another week you could try that first: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/8454/Sniper+Elite+Demo
Dambrosi said:
Anything else I should look out for?
DEFENSE GRID!

parasight

I'm going to highly recommend Titan Quest Gold to anyone who enjoyed D2 or Torchlight. It's got a bunch of advancements D3 claims to have made over D2 (physics-based death animations to an extent). My favorite game of that genre, and for $10 (with expansion) it's an absolute steal.

hamchan

benjipwns said:
Ugh, Eidos pack. Was hoping a few of those games could be had for 60+% off for this sale, and now all of those for $50...plus those horrible Conflict and Shellshock games. Having those in your account and games list must be the shame required to partake in this deal.

Everyone needs to buy Defense Grid.

Shellshock 2 with a 40 metacritic score in my games list makes me sad :(

Mirrors Edge is an EA game and it is one of the games in the 48 hour special.

I swear passing up on Mirrors Edge and Stalker feels like an episode of Lets Make a Deal. I'm waiting to see whats behind door #2 34 hours from now. I just hope it's not a fucking goat with a years supply of feed.

Ended up with:
Trine
The Void
Lucas Arts pack
Trials 2

I had already bought Torchlight earlier this week for $10 on Steam and got Machinarium from the developers site for $10. So many good deals but I'll try to hold off getting more for now.

I <3 Memes said:
Mirrors Edge is an EA game and it is one of the games in the 48 hour special.

I swear passing up on Mirrors Edge and Stalker feels like an episode of Lets Make a Deal. I'm waiting to see whats behind door #2 34 hours from now. I just hope it's not a fucking goat with a years supply of feed.
:lol :lol :lol

GHG said:
Right my cart is £121 as it stands having gone through everything.

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Grand Theft Auto IV
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack
Samorost2
LucasArts Adventure Pack
Indigo Prophecy
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Shadowgrounds Pack
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Dark Sector
Gothic 3
Driver® Parallel Lines
Madballs in... Babo:Invasion
Penumbra Collector Pack
Eidos Collector Pack
Telltale Everything Pack

Way too much money, but I kind of want everything there...

So GAF, I ask you, what should I remove? Any games on here that I should just flat out avoid?

Hmmm... maybe if I buy half today and half in like a couple of days it wont seem so bad :lol .
Remove Samorost 2 and then go buy the Machinarium/Samorost 2 pack directly from the the developer for $9.99

Steam isn't accepting my credit card info. Weird because I bought TF2 just the other day with the same card. Maybe the servers are getting hammered? Will try tomorrow for STALKER.

bathala said:
To people asking for EA
Last time I checked Mirror's Edge was by EA

Yup. It seems that EA is doing what they did with the Black Friday sales. One per day. Also, it seems that the big dog games ($40 and above) are not on sale for the most part which leads me to believe THEY will be the ones that see the 24 hour sales. Need for Speed: Shift, Bionic Commando, RISEN, etc.

Zaptruder

Banned
Goddamn Steam. I haven't even finished downloading the games from the last sale yet!

3 more to throw onto the virtual pile... but they're good ones; GTA4, The Witcher EE and Audiosurf.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
fallout 3 GOTY is on amazon for $29, if you guys want a better deal you should check that out.

Rur0ni

Damage so far:

Aquaria
AudioSurf
Braid
Defense Grid
Indigo Prophecy
Mirror's Edge
Rome: Total War
Sniper Elite
Trine

Not bad. Aquaria ended up being the expensive purchase. But the trailer made me want to buy. :( Could be some more purchases coming (Killing Floor? Commandos Pack? Ubi WWII pack?). Torchlight kinda looks like ass in blown up screenshots vs. the mini video trailer.

dLMN8R

My haul (so far):

Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please! 2-pack: $2.49
Grand Theft Auto IV: $7.49
Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures: $10.19
Freedom Force pack: $5.01

Ridiculous deals.

Wark

criesofthepast said:
Steam isn't accepting my credit card info. Weird because I bought TF2 just the other day with the same card. Maybe the servers are getting hammered? Will try tomorrow for STALKER.

I was having this same problem and it was pissing me off. What I had to do was open up Steam on my browser and purchase the items through that instead of the actual Steam program.

bathala said:
To people asking for EA
Last time I checked Mirror's Edge was by EA

yeah, but one game. EA has many games on Steam.

I was totally expecting MoH Airborne for $5 or other such deals, but it's only Mirror's Edge. Not that I'm complaining, since everyone should own Mirror's Edge.

speculawyer said:
Wat?

Sold.

Can someone list/suggest games that will work great with the 360 pad? I've got that wireless 360 USB dongle and I might as well pick up a zillion games that will use it. My computer has an HDMI output, so by connecting it to the HDTV and using the 360 controller, these are all just as good as couch console games.

Braid, Defence Grid, Ghostbusters, Mirror's Edge (though the PC controls are better imo), GTA4 and the modern Tomb Raiders are good picks and all have heavy discounts.

Sysgen

These sales are addictive.

Picked up:

Braid - 2.49
GTA IV - 7.49
Defense Grid - 2.49
Safecracker - 2.49
Alpha Prime - .99
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals - 3.99
The Void - 9.99
The Witcher: EEDC - 13.49

Grayman

I grabbed demos of a bunch of the games mentioned here.

I am on the fence about the witcher. I don't know much about it but see it mentioned lots. Same deal with the Void.
speculawyer said:
I picked it up just so I don't have to put the Doom 3 disc in. :lol

Holy crap . . . I need to buy a new desktop PC. I've bought a ton of PC games this year including some 4 "Complete" packs. (id, telltale, THQ, Eidos . . . ). I might as well get a kick-ass PC to play them on.
Pretty sure you could have patched Doom 3 to the most recent version and done that.

Top Bottom