• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Smash88

Banned
kai3345 said:
Anyone else having trouble buying stuff? It says an internal error occured while intializing my purchase.

This happens every time the new daily deals show up. Just wait it out.

Gexecuter said:
I'll say it again: fuck you steam and your regional locking. What's so wrong with offering a worldwide service to all your customers?

I don't think that Steam/Valve are at wrong here, it is the company/publisher for these games that request Steam/Valve to deny access to certain countries.

Frawdder

Man, we save a whopping 37 cents if we buy Civ 4 complete over individual items. Ah well, I already have Colonization so that can go. I might wait until later to see if the situation changes.

Edit: Guess my post is now irrelevant, the situation changed again. JUMP IN EVERYONE!

tomedo

Got Civ complete pack for 13,59 eur.

Price has now gone back up. It was 13,59 for mayby 2 minutes or something.

EDIT: ok it changed again ... =D

Kerrinck

Gexecuter said:
I'll say it again: fuck you steam and your regional locking. What's so wrong with offering a worldwide service to all your customers?

Yeah, missed out on bioshock for 5$ because of these stupid restrictions.

Poop, I missed the Civ bundle. I already have the vanilla game from the $5 D2D sale, and I really don't want to rebuy it unless it's part of a cheap Complete pack. Impulse has Civ 4 Complete for $20 right now. :\

Max Payne 1/2 looks like a good buy, though.

Edit:
Smash88 said:
CIV 4 COMPLETE IS BACK DOWN TO $13.60 GET IT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS AGAIN!
Thank you sir!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gexecuter said:
It's not Valve's Fault. It's Rockstar's fault. Somebody has the rights to sell rockstar shit down here in Brazil, and that person/group didn't give up the rights for Steam to do it.

Just ask for somebody from where the game is available to gift it to you and pay them through paypal (ideally, pay them first, so they can use the paypal funds to pay for the game).

ElNarez

Banned
Got the Civ complete pack.

I freaked out a little when I saw it didn't show up in my games list.

And then I remembered the title's actually "Sid Meier's Civilization". And I felt a bit stupid.

Also I got it for €13,59 so I feel kinda good.

Owzers

Got the civ 4 bundle without thinking it through because they price dropped back to $13ish. So basically...Steam has their way with me?

Papa

Banned
Is it possible for someone in the US to gift the Max Payne pack to someone in Aus? If so, I'd like to work something out with a kind American ;)

How many GB's of a download is Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition?

It sucks I am still under a monthly download cap, and have to consider this when downloading :(

Delerat

Neo Member
gregor7777 said:
No. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's the perfect game to get into the genre. It's incredibly deep, but you can play it and win (and most importantly, have a ton of fun) just knowing the basics on the regular difficulties.
I completely agree. There are a lot of things that the tutorial won't teach you about the game though, so it might be an idea to look online for a guide or at least a brief overview of what's in the game.

It's true you can play it knowing very little or knowing a lot. You can also adjust to your play style, playing on faster speeds tends to reward people who go for research, since by the time the enemy runs an army of swordsmen at you, you have guns. In slower mode like Epic or Marathon, research is still important, but you can't expect to leap ahead in technology quick enough to save your own ass from early skirmishes. If you get sick of the theme you can get mods that make it fantasy with elves and magic which changes a few gameplay elements.

Whether this is a bad daily sale or not, $26 for Civ4 + Expansions + Colonization is an amazing deal. It says a lot about how awesome Steams sales can be when this sort of thing is complained about.

EDIT: $13.50 for the pack again. Buy the freakin' game o_o

Smash88 said:
CIV 4 COMPLETE IS BACK DOWN TO $13.60 GET IT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS AGAIN!

I now own EVERYTHING on that list except FIFA manager . . . because I'm not a Limey. :D

(Max Payne pack was double-dipping from retail.)

Oreoleo

matt404au said:
Is it possible for someone in the US to gift the Max Payne pack to someone in Aus? If so, I'd like to work something out with a kind American ;)

Yes, it is possible. I'm not the man for the job today though. There are plenty of kind souls in here that will be able to help you out, I'm sure.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My purchase has said working for quite some time now. :(

Mine did too but the load icon at the type of the page stopped spinning so I tried again and I can't get to the last page of purchase confirmation anymore. "Initialization error etc etc"

Firehead

Keyser Soze said:
How many GB's of a download is Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition?

It sucks I am still under a monthly download cap, and have to consider this when downloading :(
About 7-8GB, I think..

I didn't even want CivIV at first, but after I missed the the price drop the first time, I couldn't not get it the second time.

Swaain

Strangely, I managed to get the Civ pack for 13eur just a minute ago. That means the game's price did not change while it was sitting in my cart? Anyway - yay!

Smash88

Banned
speculawyer said:
I now own EVERYTHING on that list except FIFA manager . . . because I'm not a Limey. :D

(Max Payne pack was double-dipping from retail.)

:lol Limey, haven't heard that in a while.

Keyser Soze said:

This is kind of funny . . . the cost of the games is less than the cost of the bandwidth to download them. :lol

Man, those metered services suck . . . but they are probably one of the reasons why the USA does not have universal broadband coverage (you city folk are subsidizing the rural people).

Frawdder

Keyser Soze said:

7170 MB to be exact.

Civ 4 Complete bought for $13.60 :D

Why would anybody buy any of the Civ4 games from the daily deal when the complete pack is only $13.60 and comes with all those games?

edit: Nevermind. They just removed the other Civ4 games from the daily deal and just kept Civ4 itself. The complete pack is still the best deal.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My purchase has said working for quite some time now. :(
Yeah, it seems they're getting bombarded at the moment. Mine eventually went through though, you just have to give it a minute or two.

falastini

nyong said:
Civ IV Complete is only $26. I'm tempted, very tempted.

EDIT: How much was it yesterday, before the special?
I'm checking from my phone and it's saying $13.60 for the complete bundle. Is that right? I've been waiting for a civ4 bundle discount.

Edit: I'm posting from work, was already confirmed x15 :lol

Delerat

Neo Member
sillymonkey321 said:
Got the civ 4 bundle without thinking it through because they price dropped back to $13ish. So basically...Steam has their way with me?
No harm in going to Steam Support and asking for a refund of the difference.

cr_blah_blah said:
Why would anybody buy any of the Civ4 games from the daily deal when the complete pack is only $13.60 and comes with all those games?

Something is definitely odd. I jumped on the cheap complete pack either way. :D

Top Bottom