• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Killer

Banned
Brashnir said:
I can't imagine someone liking CivRev and not liking Civ 4, unless You found Rev to be at the limit of your complexity and/or time spent range.

Bought:D . thanks again.

biocat said:
Civ:revolution is to Civ4 as Connect 4 is to chess.

haha fair enough!

Firebrand

RubberJohnny said:
You can get Civ IV Complete for £4.99 on Play.com, and it's been that price for a while.

Silly people, thinking Steam are the be-all and end-all of deals.

The Civ IV Complete on play.com does not include Colonization though.

God damnit I want to buy Left 4 Dead. But I'm currently in Belgium (sort of vacation) and my account is registered on a Dutch adress. And the steam store won't let me use that account to buy stuff. :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
OmegaDragon said:
God damnit I want to buy Left 4 Dead. But I'm currently in Belgium (sort of vacation) and my account is registered on a Dutch adress. And the steam store won't let me use that account to buy stuff. :(
Have you tried buying through the website, as opposed from the Steam client?

Volcynika

OmegaDragon said:

Send in a support ticket, they can flag your account to allow purchases outside your country.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
drizzle said:
You can't? Are you aware that neogaf has millions of nice users that are USA residents that have paypal accounts? Just three messages above yours somebody already offered their "i'll buy a game for you if you pay for me" services.

I use someone else to buy games because i can't use paypal myself, i don't have a credit card and i can't add funds trough my bank into paypal because that's for U.S. people only. So as you can see i am screwed, it blows but there's nothing i can do. At least i can get Left 4 Dead which i am interested in.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gexecuter said:
I use someone else to buy games because i can't use paypal myself, i don't have a credit card and i can't add funds trough my bank into paypal because that's for U.S. people only. So as you can see i am screwed, it blows but there's nothing i can do. At least i can get Left 4 Dead which i am interested in.
Then yeah, I'm sorry for you. :D

Gexecuter said:

Time for a credit card son

Delerat

Neo Member
fanboi said:
All you new Civ players.

Play the game love it, then download the mod Fall From Heaven 2
Y'know, I still haven't tried any mods. I still haven't gotten tired of the original, which is when I tend to go for mods.

Gexecuter said:
If someone is trusting enough you could mail them the money.

Guess I'm getting Colonization. This sale is so nice I wish I didn't own Civ4 so I'd have an excuse to buy the complete pack.

fatty

I already own the disc versions of Civ IV and Beyond the Sword, yet I still bought the Complete Edition off of Steam. What have you done to me Steam?!? I promised myself I would never rebuy, esp. if I was buying a digital copy of something I already have a physical copy of.

Because the servers are so busy it took more than 5 minutes just for the purchase to go through.

But it did.

Steam, you may have won the battle but, heck who am I kidding, you'll probably win the war too. But I'm not going down without a fight!!

Won

Damn wanted to make a list with Osmos, but was too lazy to think of 4 more games. :(

Getting Max Payne bundle and Osmos for 5.53€. Woooooo!

Also lol @ Mass Effect under recommendations. No steam, I'm patient.

drizzle said:
Neither is it linked to my Steam account and allows me to download it anytime i want through Steam.

It is linked to sth. called "DVD" though, which allows you to "download" it anytime you want. Oh, and you don't need steam. You don't even need internet.
Steam is fine and all, no doubt about that, but please don't create advantages where they simply aren't any.

Btw. meh deals today imo :/

biocat

fatty said:
I already own the disc versions of Civ IV and Beyond the Sword, yet I still bought the Complete Edition off of Steam. What have you done to me Steam?!? I promised myself I would never rebuy, esp. if I was buying a digital copy of something I already have a physical copy of.

I, too, bought the complete version even though I already owned it, just minus Colonization. Not having to install all those discs and patches itself is worth the extra ~$3 for the complete pack.

Submarino Conversível said:
:D I'll pay through Paypal of course, just need someone to gift it to me
Sure . . . I'll do this for anyone, any game. It has to be a paypal thing that clears instantly though.

The gift thing is a nice work-around for region locks . . . and no guilt, the publishers/developers are getting the money . . . I think the only person 'screwed' is some distributor that has the rights to distribute in their country . . . but I don't think they are really missing many sales because most of these people would not but at their local retail.

Volcynika

Frankfurter said:
It is linked to sth. called "DVD" though, which allows you to "download" it anytime you want. Oh, and you don't need steam. You don't even need internet.
Steam is fine and all, no doubt about that, but please don't create advantages where they simply aren't any.

Btw. meh deals today imo :/

Yes. Yes there are advantages. Auto patching, less physical space needed (I already have too many console games, more PC games would be less space), and not having to worry about losing the DVD or it getting scratched up to where I can't get my game. Might be slightly pricier, but at the expense of convenience. Talk to people that have retail Company of Heroes and see if they prefer the Steam one over retail.

Brashnir

fatty said:

Because the servers are so busy it took more than 5 minutes just for the purchase to go through.

But it did.

Steam, you may have won the battle but, heck who am I kidding, you'll probably win the war too. But I'm not going down without a fight!!

Just tell yourself you bought Warlords + Colonization and got digital copies of the rest for free.

Kipe

Came back to the thread while I sent my pet to sell some items in Torchlight and see that the Civ4 deal became sweeter. :D Picked up Civ4 pack and Max Payne 1+2. Wednesday Steam sale saved.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
the civ complete pack is back down to £8, its jumped up and down twice now

can someone confirm if i buy it at 8 i wont be charged for 17?

Kipe

Gexecuter said:
Ah no, just no. I don't trust the postal service enough to do that.

What games do you want? If you want just Max Payne I'll gift it to you. It's only $3. PM me your steam name.

Volcynika said:
Yes. Yes there are advantages.

Yeah fine, you don't need the DVD (do you actually need it for Civ 4 with the newest patch? Dunno, haven't played it for awhile). Aside that? You can't sell the game, the DL takes longer than installing from DVD, if the Steam servers are down/slow you got a problem, if you don't have internet for a certain period of time, you might have a problem.

Digital distribution a la Steam imo is only fine if the prices are WAY under the prices for retail copies.

Edit: Just btw. how many retail game discs do you have that can't by read by your computers drive anymore? Me personally: 0 (both console and PC).

Volcynika

Frankfurter said:
Yeah fine, you don't need the DVD (do you actually need it for Civ 4 with the newest patch? Dunno, haven't played it for awhile). Aside that? You can't sell the game, the DL takes longer than installing from DVD, if the Steam servers are down/slow you got a problem, if you don't have internet for a certain period of time, you might have a problem.

Digital distribution a la Steam imo is only fine if the prices are WAY under the prices for retail copies.

There are pros and cons with both sides, just the Steam side has more pros. Might be easy to sell PC games in stores for cheap, but used PC games, especially with all these new DRMs and such, you won't get very much back.

fatty

biocat said:
I, too, bought the complete version even though I already owned it, just minus Colonization. Not having to install all those discs and patches itself is worth the extra ~$3 for the complete pack.

Yep, I agree. And I don't mind throwing a few more dollars their way then the games contain so much quality.

I played Max Payne 2 but not the first one for whatever reason. Is the voice actor the same between the two? I know the character model has the different face, but the voice of Max in 2 is great.

Regardless, Max Payne get!

GC|Simon

nyong said:
Yes, yes you should. And Osmos. Like me.

I'm not far away from clicking the "Buy" button... Should I get only Civ IV or that "Complete Pack" for about 14€. I never played a Civ game before.

Take-Two has really delivered during the holiday sales. It's great to see a publisher understand how making great deals can earn you a ton of revenue.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Kipe said:
What games do you want? If you want just Max Payne I'll gift it to you. It's only $3. PM me your steam name.

I want the Max Payne bundle with 1 and 2. I can only pay you by gifting you a game or games of equal value so i dunno if you are ok with that.

nyong

Banned
GC|Simon said:
I'm not far away from clicking the "Buy" button... Should I get only Civ IV or that "Complete Pack" for about 14€. I never played a Civ game before.

I have no idea what a € is worth, but $13 for the entire series is a pretty damn good deal. It's one of the best turn-based strategy titles ever made. Just make sure to load up Beyond the Sword when you play as it contains all of the enhancements in addition to the core game. Only load the other expansions for specific scenarios.

Havok

Does anybody know how quickly Steam Support usually responds to submitted tickets? I got the Civ IV pack and got an unexpected error...I blame the horrible connection I'm on for the next few days.

speculawyer said:
Sure . . . I'll do this for anyone, any game. It has to be a paypal thing that clears instantly though.

The gift thing is a nice work-around for region locks . . . and no guilt, the publishers/developers are getting the money . . . I think the only person 'screwed' is some distributor that has the rights to distribute in their country . . . but I don't think they are really missing many sales because most of these people would not but at their local retail.
Would you be willing to send me Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 if I send you the money through Paypal? It's not available on Steam in the UK and I want it.

Edit: Nevermind, I found someone to help me out. Thanks for the offer anyways.

shintoki said:
What if a Civilization game like? I have never played one.

You start out by picking a nation/culture (American, French, Egyptian, etc.) and a leader (a famous figure in history) and you begin building a civilization through researching technology (farming, metal working, the wheel, space programs), building and growing cities, and building culture type stuff (religion, governments, etc), building armies, and turn by turn you expand as time goes on through the different periods of human history.

There are different ways to win, either by conquering your enemies in battle, overtaking their cultures, technology races, etc.

Wonderful game. It's a perfect ground floor into the strategy genre. The problem is, it's probably the best strategy game out there so everything may be downhill from there.

Volcynika

Havok said:
Does anybody know how quickly Steam Support usually responds to submitted tickets? I got the Civ IV pack and got an unexpected error...I blame the horrible connection I'm on for the next few days.

While they are obviously busy, I"d think within one business day you should get a reply. Not sure though.

LovingSteam said:
If I heart Memes agrees to the bet than you will get it.

Dude after buying GTA 4 i only have $10 left to spend on games. I've been waiting this whole time to spend it on Mass Effect. I've missed out on every other deal between GTA 4 and now waiting for Mass Effect. No I do not have any money for a bet.

How about a hardy "You were right sir, and I was wrong." instead of money.

GC|Simon

Bought the Civ IV complete pack AND Left 4 Dead AND Osmos for 22,88€. I mean, it's really cheap for all those stuff. But my money melts faster away than the glaciers in Greenland... :lol

Thomper

Basileus777 said:
Take-Two has really delivered during the holiday sales. It's great to see a publisher understand how making great deals can earn you a ton of revenue.
Now if only they also give Borderlands a Daily Deal, I'll completely agree with you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gregor7777 said:
You start out by picking a nation/culture (American, French, Egyptian, etc.) and a leader (a famous figure in history) and you begin building a civilization through researching technology (farming, metal working, the wheel, space programs), building and growing cities, and building culture type stuff (religion, governments, etc), building armies, and turn by turn you expand as time goes on through the different periods of human history.

There are different ways to win, either by conquering your enemies in battle, overtaking their cultures, technology races, etc.

Wonderful game. It's a perfect ground floor into the strategy genre. The problem is, it's probably the best strategy game out there so everything may be downhill from there.
Is there any DRM on the retail complete copy I'd have to worry about if I get it used? I may just wait on that then. I already have a bit of a backlog :lol

And it's turned based right?

Top Bottom