• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

rohlfinator said:
Yeah, it seems they're getting bombarded at the moment. Mine eventually went through though, you just have to give it a minute or two.
Ya, finally went through. Took almost a full 2 minutes, longest it's ever taken.

Volcynika

graywolf323 said:
ugh this is depressing

how is MW2 the #1 best selling game on Steam right now when it's not even on sale?

It's revenue based. Sell one copy, another game has to sell over $60 worth for each copy sold.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Their servers must be getting hammered, I'm sitting at checkout trying to buy Civ4 Complete and the "Purchase" button says "Working..." after about 2 minutes.

Edit: It finally went through, but it's still in my cart? Weird.

Papa

Banned
Anyone in the US willing to help a poor Australian out? Need someone to gift me the Max Payne bundle. Will gift a ~$5 game back.

Oreoleo

sgnhh said:
Their servers must be getting hammered, I'm sitting at checkout trying to buy Civ4 Complete and the "Purchase" button says "Working..." after about 2 minutes.

Same happened to me with Max Payne. Check your games list it might be there even if the page doesn't load.

Never played a Civ game before, but this is probably the best time to try one out. Do the expansions add a lot to the core game or are they just extra content? Might just go with the $7 regular version to see if I like it.

krzy123

Civ IV Compete - 13.60
Max Payne 1 & 2 - 3.74
Osmos - 1.99
DoD:S - 2.49
Lumines Base + Adv. - 2.99
Indigo Prophecy - 3.39
Total - 28.20

Ugh my steam backlog is already monstrous :(

gyrspike

Neo Member
Looks like I got "Torched" by the Civ 4 Complete sale today. I just bought the Civ 4 Complete pack for $26 on Monday and haven't even touched it yet.

Delerat

Neo Member
rohlfinator said:
Looks like they took the Civ expansions off the daily deal list.

You would think they'd have these things worked out ahead of time. :lol
Despite them being taken off they're still at the price they were when they were daily. Not sure if that means they were already this low, or if they're leaving them that way.

Considering I own all of Civ 4 except for Colonization, does anyone know what happens if I buy the complete pack? Do I pay $13 and just get Colonization? Normally they don't let you buy something twice, but if it's in a pack you haven't bought then the checkout button isn't greyed out.(I realize it's cheaper to buy Colonization itself anyways, I'm just curious)

careksims

Why is Max Payne 1 and 2 shown separate for $2.49 EACH when the bundle is only $3.74? Put that bundle instead and get another game on sale!

Why Steam is awesome:

eBay said:
Congratulations, your item sold!
Dear XXXX,
Congratulations! Your item just sold. You agreed to ship this item to the buyer within 3 business days after receiving cleared payment. You can send an invoice to the buyer as a reminder to pay for this item.
Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360, 2008) New sealed
Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360, 2008) New sealed
Sale price: $15.00
Quantity sold: 1
Sale date: Dec-30-09 09:10:22 PST

Steam said:
Recent Steam Store Transactions
Mirror's Edge ($4.99)
Defense Grid: The Awakening ($2.49)
Total Purchased for this account $7.48 Charge
Dec 22, 2009

Brashnir

Killer said:
So i liked the Civ Revolution (console version) and never played on the PC. Is the gameplay the same on both versions?

Not exactly the same, but the concept is the same. The PC game is a bit more complex and games take longer to complete, but they're pretty similar.

Delerat said:
Considering I own all of Civ 4 except for Colonization, does anyone know what happens if I buy the complete pack? Do I pay $13 and just get Colonization?
Yes. At least, that's how it's handled other packs I've bought.

speculawyer said:
Why Steam is awesome:
Heh, I should dump some of my redundant games too. I've double-dipped on Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Burnout Paradise now.

Dipper145

Got Civ IV complete, Osmos, and Max Payne Pack.

Only my 2nd purchase this sale, I'm surprised I haven't bought more. I was hoping Osmos would go on sale again since I missed it during the black friday one.

Delerat

Neo Member
gyrspike said:
Looks like I got "Torched" by the Civ 4 Complete sale today. I just bought the Civ 4 Complete pack for $26 on Monday and haven't even touched it yet.
That's why I'm not buying anything not on a daily deal until the last day.

Killer said:
So i liked the Civ Revolution (console version) and never played on the PC. Is the gameplay the same on both versions?
I believe they're very different. The console versions are much more simplified for a quicker game. Go for the PC if you want a lot more in depth strategy in the game.

biocat

Somebody must have made a mistake this morning. The front page games keep changing and now there is World at War, as well.

They added:

Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty is back, redefining war like you've never experienced before. Building on the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War immerses players into the most gritty and chaotic WWII combat ever experienced.... more $49.99 $24.99

No thanks.

Edit: (Or do I want this? Is the CoD4 engine that great? Is this particular game that good? Are people playing online?)

Killer

Banned
Brashnir said:
Not exactly the same, but the concept is the same. The PC game is a bit more complex and games take longer to complete, but they're pretty similar.

thanks. would you recommend it? i think what i liked about the consoles version its simplicity.

poweld

Picked up the Complete edition and put in a ticket to refund me the cost of CivIV. I have a feeling they'll make good on this.

aaaaaa

BuddhaRockstar said:
Never played a Civ game before, but this is probably the best time to try one out. Do the expansions add a lot to the core game or are they just extra content? Might just go with the $7 regular version to see if I like it.

Colonization is a complete game by itself. The other two are standard unneeded expansions.

Delerat

Neo Member
careksims said:
Why is Max Payne 1 and 2 shown separate for $2.49 EACH when the bundle is only $3.74? Put that bundle instead and get another game on sale!
It doesn't really work like that. It's not like there is shelf space where if they take 2 Max Payne's down and put up the pack that they have room for one more. Originally these daily sales only had 5 slots, then they went to 6, then when all those Civs were on we were at 8, now they've gone back down to 7.

vocab

speculawyer said:
Edit: (Or do I want this? Is the CoD4 that great? Is this game that good? Are people playing online?)

COD1=COD2>COD4>WAW>MW2

In that order. I personally think WAW is horrible, but it's more playable than MW2.

Papa

Banned
speculawyer said:
I'll do this for people that need it if you paypal me.

Appreciated, but someone has offered to do it for me already. Besides, I don't have any funds in my PayPal account and that takes a week to clear, doesn't it? I can only offer a gift-back as compensation, unfortunately :(

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
drizzle said:
It's not Valve's Fault. It's Rockstar's fault. Somebody has the rights to sell rockstar shit down here in Brazil, and that person/group didn't give up the rights for Steam to do it.

Just ask for somebody from where the game is available to gift it to you and pay them through paypal (ideally, pay them first, so they can use the paypal funds to pay for the game).

I can't, i use someone i know (that also lives here in chile) in order to buy games and that person doesn't use paypal so i am screwed which is the main reason i am angry.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Actually kinda tempted to buy MP1 and 2, i have both on disc, and 2 definitely works but i don't think the disc for 1 actually works...
It's been a while since i replayed it.

Which is another point. I've definitely finished MP1 and 2 more times than any other game. Fuck i love it.

EDIT: Bought, i'm a fucking sucker.

Brashnir

Killer said:
thanks. would you recommend it? i think what i liked about the consoles version its simplicity.

I can't imagine someone liking CivRev and not liking Civ 4, unless You found Rev to be at the limit of your complexity and/or time spent range.

Wrekt

I could not buy L4D 1 fast enough. I borrowed it from a coworker on 360 but after playing the sequel with a mouse and keyboard I just couldn't really enjoy it. Time to play it for realsies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gexecuter said:
I can't, i use someone i know (that also lives here in chile) in order to buy games and that person doesn't use paypal so i am screwed which is the main reason i am angry.
You can't? Are you aware that neogaf has millions of nice users that are USA residents that have paypal accounts? Just three messages above yours somebody already offered their "i'll buy a game for you if you pay for me" services.

shock33

aaaaaa said:
Colonization is a complete game by itself. The other two are standard unneeded expansions.

Warlords is pretty useless but Beyond the Sword is brilliant and imo pretty much essential

Top Bottom