• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Basileus777 said:
Take-Two has really delivered during the holiday sales. It's great to see a publisher understand how making great deals can earn you a ton of revenue.

Yeah, I (of course me :D ) noticed that too. Their constant deals are OK, but they've really delivered on the daily specials:
GTA IV $7.5
Prey $2.5
Bioshock $5
Civ 4 complete $13.60
Max Payne complete $3.74

I <3 Memes said:
Dude after buying GTA 4 i only have $10 left to spend on games. I've been waiting this whole time to spend it on Mass Effect. I've missed out on every other deal between GTA 4 and now waiting for Mass Effect. No I do not have any money for a bet.

How about a hardy "You were right sir, and I was wrong." instead of money.

How about this, if ME goes to $7.50 or lower I will buy it for you? No questions asked.

biocat

shintoki said:
Is there any DRM on the retail complete copy I'd have to worry about if I get it used? I may just wait on that then. I already have a bit of a backlog :lol

And it's turned based right?

The latest patch removed the CD-check, so there is no DRM on Civ4. :D

Smash88

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Dude after buying GTA 4 i only have $10 left to spend on games. I've been waiting this whole time to spend it on Mass Effect. I've missed out on every other deal between GTA 4 and now waiting for Mass Effect. No I do not have any money for a bet.

How about a hardy "You were right sir, and I was wrong." instead of money.

How about if LovingSteam wins or loses he gifts me Mass Effect (if it goes on sale). :lol

Only kidding.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I (of course me :D ) noticed that too. Their constant deals are OK, but they've really delivered on the daily specials:
GTA IV $7.5
Prey $2.5
Bioshock $5
Civ 4 complete $13.60
Max Payne complete $3.74

Jade Empire for $3.75 as well.

They've had a great deal almost every day and have taken money from my wallet every day this week.

biocat

Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Jade Empire
Bioshock (NA)
Day of Defeat: Source
Hearts of Iron III
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Cogs
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

This sale is killing me.

Even though I know I am worse than hopeless at all strategy games, I'm gonna give Civ IV a shot.

Lousy bargains! Must you toy with me so!

fatty

To see how much I've spent, I've made a list of what I've purchased during Steam's Holiday sales (Black Friday up to the current Christmas sale):

Mirror's Edge: $5
Left 4 Dead GOTY pack: $7.50
Trine $10 (should have waited until the $8 sale since I still haven't played it)
STALKER: $2
OSMOS: $2
Evil Genius: $2
Sniper Elite: $2
Torchlight: $10 (like Trine, should have waited for $5)
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle: $2.50
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition : $13.60

Still plan on getting Trials 2 for $5.

Total so far: $61.60

Not too shabby.

nyong

Banned
Left 4 Dead
Osmos
Jade Empire
Indigo Prophecy
Killing Floor
Bioshock (NA)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
Sniper Elite
Prey
Space Siege
Trine
Rome: Total War Gold
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
Torchlight

TOTAL: $85.66

It's a safe bet the next few days will bring more that I want as well. My New Year's Resolution (well, starting the 3rd....) - I have to finish 10 games for each new one that I purchase. My backlog is sitting at 82 now. Probably 60+ that have been booted up for 5 minutes or less. :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Another quick question.

Which Total War game is the go to one? I've been hearing mixed opinions between Rome and Medieval II
2nd, If I get just Total Rome:Gold. Do mods work with that or do I need the expansion?

I only played Rome before, and looking to pick it up again. But if the community likes MII. I rather get that

Also, I'm so happy about the Payne sale :lol I was going to say 5$ for both. But damn...I save a buck and a quarter!

fatty

nyong said:
Left 4 Dead
Osmos
Jade Empire
Indigo Prophecy
Killing Floor
Bioshock (NA)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
Sniper Elite
Prey
Space Siege
Trine
Rome: Total War Gold
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
Torchlight

TOTAL: $85.66

It's a safe bet the next few days will bring more that I want as well. My New Year's Resolution (well, starting the 3rd....) - I have to finish 10 games for each new one that I purchase. My backlog is sitting at 82 now. Probably 60+ that have been booted up for 5 minutes or less. :/

I'm right there with you. I'm currently working on Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and MGS3 to give you an idea how far I am behind. :lol (and that's still skipping out on a lot of PS1 RPGs)

Smash88

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Jade Empire for $3.75 as well.

They've had a great deal almost every day and have taken money from my wallet every day this week.

I wonder what you would do if there were daily deals 356 days of the year. You and everyone on GAF would be broke. :lol

52club

biocat said:
Is anyone biting on World at War? Is it still not worth it for that price?

I would say no, mainly because MW2 seems to be going on sale for $40 every so often. Of course this assumes you don't have MW2 already.

nyong

Banned
fatty said:
I'm right there with you. I'm currently working on Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and MGS3 to give you an idea how far I am behind. :lol (and that's still skipping out on a lot of PS1 RPGs)

I have a big black chest full of old PC/PS1/PS2 games from Goozex that I don't count. :lol

Drewsky

biocat said:

I'm king of interested in playing it, but $25 still seems kind of steep with MW2 out. If it was $20 I might have gone for it.

biocat

52club said:
I would say no, mainly because MW2 seems to be going on sale for $40 every so often. Of course this assumes you don't have MW2 already.

MW2 (PS3) is, in fact, on its way to me right now.
Thanks for the advice.

LovingSteam said:
How about this, if ME goes to $7.50 or lower I will buy it for you? No questions asked.

I appreciate it but you don't have to do that. If ME shows up at 7.50 or lower then that will be all the gift I need. If it doesn't i have a few games as backup buys. I will just be a little bitter about passing up some of the other deals.

biocat said:

Damn Activision is stingy as hell. My lifelong boycott of Activision won't be very difficult with the prices they charge.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Interesting, so CIV IV's expansions have gone, Cod:WaW is added and the CIV IV complete pack is now £8.50?
How is CIV IV really? Compared to say.. Anno?

I'm sitting at $80 spent on 15 games/bundles so far. That's better than I thought I was doing...

At this point I'm waiting for two things:
-to see if The Witcher hits in a daily deal, otherwise I'll probably buy it on the 3rd
-to see if The Void hits in a daily deal, so I can feel bad about buying it on the first day :lol

Other than that, I think I'm just going to be going for the super-cheap impulse buys from here on out.

datamage

Ugh.

Thank you Steam for making me buy games I really wasn't interested in.

That being said, bought the Civ4 pack. Should I just start out w/vanilla Civ4 and then work through the expansions?

Brashnir

datamage said:
Ugh.

Thank you Steam for making me buy games I really wasn't interested in.

That being said, bought the Civ4 pack. Should I just start out w/vanilla Civ4 and then work through the expansions?

May as well take the plunge and play with Beyond the Sword since you have it. Colonization is a totally different game, and not an expansion.

I guess everyone is different but I actually enjoyed COD:WAW. It's the first treyarch game I actually cared for. I got it the last time it was on sale for $25 and have been happy with it. And I have no plans of getting MW2 so I guess that can factor in for some.

datamage

fallengorn said:
Just counted my total up... $97.50.

And to think that I thought I had pretty much everything I wanted on steam. :\

Yeah, I felt that way too. Yet each day I'm finding new games I'm suddenly interested in.

Mrbob

You can buy the Civ 4 expansions at a discount if you search for them.

But you need the steam version of vanilla civ 4 to run them.

30cq7ig.jpg

I guess they're not going to fix this :(

hey, this isnt fair. i bought civIV and beyond the sword for $13 when they were daily deals. and then they make the complete edition $13? i guess theres no way to go back on that, huh? missed out on colonization and the other expansion being basically free! arghh!

Firebrand

Cindres said:
How is CIV IV really? Compared to say.. Anno?

Civ4 is turn-based for a start. it can be complex but at its basic level it's not really complicated. I like to call it "Sid Meierish" in that it does away with large numbers and charts and instead has stuff like 'two "foods" sustains a "guy", surplus "foods" enables growth' etc.

There is a demo of Civ4 you could try, I believe it lets you play one or two civs for a certain number of turns. Just be aware that there has been a lot of tweaks and additions since it was released, through numerous patches and two expansions.

datamage said:

Go with BtS directly and learn that game, it's basically the "current" Civilization IV version.
Colonization is another game though, an official Total Conversion.

3rdman

Question: I picked up Orange Box when I already own HL2...The "extra games" was listed under the "updates" section of the "My Games" tab...it's no longer there and I'd like to gift the extra game to a friend of mine. How do I gift it if the options not available there?

Volcynika

3rdman said:
Question: I picked up Orange Box when I already own HL2...The "extra games" was listed under the "updates" section of the "My Games" tab...it's no longer there and I'd like to gift the extra game to a friend of mine. How do I gift it if the options not available there?

Top of your Steam client where File / View / Games / Help is

Go to Games -> Manage gifts and guest passes.

Should be in that list.

Mrbob

thecouncil said:
hey, this isnt fair. i bought civIV and beyond the sword for $13 when they were daily deals. and then they make the complete edition $13? i guess theres no way to go back on that, huh? missed out on colonization and the other expansion being basically free! arghh!

Yeah but you own the best parts of the bundle already. You can go pick up Warlords for $3.39 right now, but Beyond the Sword is the better expansion.

The only reason I now have colonization is being part of the civ bundle. Game isn't that good, and it is doubtful I'll ever play it.

Also, you should have figured out after the first day some holiday deals were hitting as part of the 24 hour special. :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone else have/had problems getting their credit card to be accepted? It worked fine the other day, and I verified there weren't any holds on the card w/ the CC company. I even tried another credit card I never use, and my paypal account, and Steam is rejecting it all.

Volcynika

vocab said:
It would take you at least 1-3 business days to even get a response. The deal would be over.

Well other people have put in support tickets to get a daily deal and got flagged to allow purchases from outside their country. Anything's possible.

Minsc said:
Anyone else have/had problems getting their credit card to be accepted? It worked fine the other day, and I verified there weren't any holds on the card w/ the CC company. I even tried another credit card I never use, and my paypal account, and Steam is rejecting it all.

Wait about 40 minutes or so. You'll get a rejection email. Then, try it again. It will reject any others until you get that email.

Happened to me today as well, hopefully it's just a one time glitch.

Top Bottom