• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Mrbob said:
Yeah but you own the best parts of the bundle already. You can go pick up Warlords for $3.39 right now, but Beyond the Sword is the better expansion.

The only reason I now have colonization is being part of the civ bundle. Game isn't that good, and it is doubtful I'll ever play it.

Also, you should have figured out after the first day some holiday deals were hitting as part of the 24 hour special. :p

oh. alright. well, ill just deal with it. i just wanted to buy it quick so that they didnt pull a 'sold out' on me. i missed 'prey' for $2.50 because of that strange concept. :lol

Shadow780

Alaskanbullworm said:
Wait about 40 minutes or so. You'll get a rejection email. Then, try it again. It will reject any others until you get that email.

Happened to me today as well, hopefully it's just a one time glitch.

Still happening to me, and my CC company even called to investigate the charges, probably because I was too crazy with the sales.:lol

Thankfully Paypal works.

Shadow780 said:
Still happening to me, and my CC company even called to investigate the charges, probably because I was too crazy with the sales.:lol

Thankfully Paypal works.
Yeah, I had this problem too. But what really sucks is that Steam will sometimes lock you out totally if there are too many failed transactions . . . even paypal won't work.

Minsc

Gold Member
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I had this problem too. But what really sucks is that Steam will sometimes lock you out totally if there are too many failed transactions . . . even paypal won't work.

How do you know if you've been locked out? I can added stuff and try to purchase it, but still get the same error messages, that must be what happened though, because nothing is working.

It's all rather stupid, because Steam has my CC info saved, and I didn't change a thing, just went to pay using the prior information which has always worked, and now they have all forms of payment locked and broken from me.

dani_dc

Getting Max Payne collection for sure :lol

Already have Civ IV Complete in DVD, though the opportunity to play it without DVD and the inclusion of Warlords make the package tempting.
Left 4 Dead is also very tempting (even more with the package).

Osmos I got on the sale last black friday so thankfully no need to buy it again.

DMczaf

For some reason, Batman AA keeps thinking everytime I run it it's the first time I've ran it so it tries to install DirectX everytime. Is there something I can do to stop this?

dani_dc said:
Getting Max Payne collection for sure :lol

Already have Civ IV Complete in DVD, though the opportunity to play it without DVD and the inclusion of Warlords make the package tempting.
Left 4 Dead is also very tempting (even more with the package).

Osmos I got on the sale last black friday so thankfully no need to buy it again.

Too bad the package is like $10 more than to buy individually

Erudite

King's Bounty: Armored Princess - $10
Red Faction: Guerilla - $10
Braid - $2.50
Ben There! Dan That! / Time Gentlemen Please - $2.50
Lumines + Advanced Pack - $3
Day of Defeat: Source - $2.50
Killing Floor - $5
Max Payne 1 & 2 - $3.75
Osmos - $2
LucasArts Adventure Pack - $2.50
Civilization IV Complete - $13.60

Total: $57.35

20 games for roughly the cost of a regular PC game? <3 Steam.

Minsc said:
How do you know if you've been locked out? I can added stuff and try to purchase it, but still get the same error messages, that must be what happened though, because nothing is working.

It's all rather stupid, because Steam has my CC info saved, and I didn't change a thing, just went to pay using the prior information which has always worked, and now they have all forms of payment locked and broken from me.
You are locked out.

All purchases will be denied . . . even if the credit card is good and you have money in paypal. It is annoying since it doesn't say you are locked out.

Workaround: Open another account and buy as gifts for your main account.

Are there manuals I can print out for the Civ IV collection somewhere? They don't seem to be available on Steam.

Also, I've heard there are some good mods to use with Civ IV. Do they work with the Steam version?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Well I bought Civ IV and Civ IV Warlords even though I own physical copies of them; problem is they charged me and had some problem with the order. Now they don't even show up on my list... even though my card remains charged. Woohoo I get to put in a support ticket. *sigh*

Minsc

Gold Member
speculawyer said:
You are locked out.

All purchases will be denied . . . even if the credit card is good and you have money in paypal. It is annoying since it doesn't say you are locked out.

Workaround: Open another account and buy as gifts for your main account.

It's not against the ToS or anything to have multiple steam accounts is it? I may end up doing that if they don't clear my account and enable it by tomorrow morning.

kamspy said:
You might want to edit that before Valve bans your account.

Has anyone got banned? That was pretty much all the official thread was up until the day the demo was released...

Takeda Kenshi said:
Well I bought Civ IV and Civ IV Warlords even though I own physical copies of them; problem is they charged me and had some problem with the order. Now they don't even show up on my list... even though my card remains charged. Woohoo I get to put in a support ticket. *sigh*

I'm assuming you looked for sid meier right? I thought mine wasn't added until I realized it's not listed as civ IV but as sid meier civ IV.

faceless007 said:
Are there manuals I can print out for the Civ IV collection somewhere? They don't seem to be available on Steam.

Also, I've heard there are some good mods to use with Civ IV. Do they work with the Steam version?
For most games, yes.

But they are kinda stupid about it . . . go to the store page and click on "view the manual". For me, the manual doesn't usually show up (don't know why) but then if I do "Save Page As", I can save the PDF.

I'm using Firefox . . . perhaps it is a Firefox quirk that makes them not show up.

It is annoying since there is a "view manual" thing in the "my games" of the Steam Client but most games do not have their manual there . . . you have to go to the store page.

They really SHOULD put the manuals there since having them on the store page allows pirates to get the manuals easily.

Minsc said:
It's not against the ToS or anything to have multiple steam accounts is it? I may end up doing that if they don't clear my account and enable it by tomorrow morning.
Not that I am aware of.

But I created a second account for a reason . . . I created it for my daughter where I put games for her like the Wallace & Gromit stuff. This way I can separate my "M" rated games from games for her.

A.Romero

I bought Indigo Prophecy but I can't save any games... It actually doesn't even create a profile file.

I tried changing all the permissions to "EVERYONE" on the Steam and game folders. Any suggestions?

I really want to play that game...

kswiston

WTF. Was debating getting the stand alone Colonization but it is no longer on the Deals page. Replaced by Call of Duty WaW for $25.

EDIT: Nevermind, Colonization is still on sale, just not listed on the deals of the day.

Call of Duty World at War is $25 for those interested.

For those considering World at War, I picked it up at that price when Steam put it on sale earlier in the year and definitely got my money's worth. Its standard COD fare, sure but you get a ton of content for your money as all three map packs are included in the price (for less than they alone cost to buy on consoles). That means a fully fleshed out Nazi Zombies with 4 great maps (possibly worth the price alone), a short ~6 hour single player campaign that can be replayed in coop and a very healthy multiplayer mode with dedicated servers and tons of maps. Its a much better buy than MW2, that's for sure.

Erudite

kswiston said:
WTF. Was debating getting the stand alone Colonization but it is no longer on the Deals page. Replaced by Call of Duty WaW for $25.
The complete Civ IV package (includes Colonization) is $13.60 right now. Roughly $3 more for the rest of the Civ IV series.

Nelo Ice

Banned
gah i kno i shouldnt pick up civ iv complete and max payne collection but ive been waiting for a civ iv complete deal for forever :lol

Firebrand

brain_stew said:
For those considering World at War, I picked it up at that price when Steam put it on sale earlier in the year and definitely got my money's worth. Its standard COD fare, sure but you get a ton of content for your money as all three map packs are included in the price. That means a fully fleshed out Nazi Zombies with 4 great maps (possibly worth the price alone), a short ~6 hour single player campaign that can be replayed in coop and a very healthy multiplayer mode with dedicated servers and tons of maps. Its a much better buy than MW2, that's for sure.

How's the singleplayer campaign? I found CoD4:MW to be the rare case where I recommend the singleplayer even though it didn't really have great gameplay, it's more like a really awesome roller coaster ride. (And of course, the MP was digital crack.)

brain_stew said:
For those considering World at War, I picked it up at that price when Steam put it on sale earlier in the year and definitely got my money's worth. Its standard COD fare, sure but you get a ton of content for your money as all three map packs are included in the price (for less than they alone cost to buy on consoles). That means a fully fleshed out Nazi Zombies with 4 great maps (possibly worth the price alone), a short ~6 hour single player campaign that can be replayed in coop and a very healthy multiplayer mode with dedicated servers and tons of maps. Its a much better buy than MW2, that's for sure.
DAMN YOU!

Now I might buy it.

They make you pay for those extras on Xbox Live:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/g...-9115-d8024156081c/?p=1&of=0&bt=0&sb=1#offers

kamspy

I wish you could gift games you don't like as long as you've only played for less than an hour or something.

I bought BF2 Complete and it's just not clicking. Any tips to improve my enjoyment of the game? It's just not clicking. I grab a helicopter, try to fly it and faceplant into the nearest hill and then the host kicks me for being a noob. :/

Also, fuck gamespy as a server browser.

Firebrand said:
How's the singleplayer campaign? I found CoD4:MW to be the rare case where I recommend the singleplayer even though it didn't really have great gameplay, it's more like a really awesome roller coaster ride. (And of course, the MP was digital crack.)

It plays like all other CODs but has a much grittier and gruesome atmosphere which works well with the standard COD formula. Actual gameplay is the same as its ever been, of course but the ability to play the whole campaign in coop might appeal.

A.Romero

kamspy said:
I wish you could gift games you don't like as long as you've only played for less than an hour or something.

I bought BF2 Complete and it's just not clicking. Any tips to improve my enjoyment of the game? It's just not clicking. I grab a helicopter, try to fly it and faceplant into the nearest hill and then the host kicks me for being a noob. :/

Also, fuck gamespy as a server browser.

I also bought BF2 recently. I played it when it came out and I loved it.

I recommend you to go to unranked servers to develop the skills. Also piloting the helicopter is quite difficult. I never got a hang of it. Normally it is recommended to do it with a Joystick. Practice a lot on single player.

speculawyer said:
DAMN YOU!

Now I might buy it.

They make you pay for those extras on Xbox Live:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/g...-9115-d8024156081c/?p=1&of=0&bt=0&sb=1#offers

Yeah, like I say you'll pay more for the maps on a 360/PS3, than you do for the full game + maps on Steam, which makes it a pretty good deal. More than that though, since everybody on the PC has the maps, the community isn't splintered so they'll be in good rotation and you'll also actually be able to get a game going on the new Nazi Zombie maps, which were the highlight of the package for me.

The fully fleshed out Nazi Zombie mode (included free here) could easily sell as a separate game on XBLA for 1200 points, just think of the rest of the package as a nice little bonus.

Firebrand said:

I enjoyed it (and i had big reservations knowing its a Treyarch CoD), its more of the typical CoD1/2 stuff (better than CoD2 imo), same old fast and frantic action. Some levels look amazing too (like the 1 where its pissing down, fighting on the streets etc). Doing it all in 4 player co-op is fun, and even then you havent started on Nazi Zombies (which is something alot of my friends bought the game specifically for), and like someone pointed out, all maps packs included for free (WaW really was the gift that kept giving, hell didnt they even release another patch just after MW2 came out ?).

For £14.99 its a steal.

Mr. B

Mr. B said:
RF: Guerrilla is tempting, but I promised myself I wouldn't bother with current-gen games on my subpar machine.

Go go Max Payne bundle discount :D
Aw snap, called it 5 days in advance.

I know it's a game from the sale a day or two ago
so nobody's probably playing it anymore...amirite?

but is anybody else having problems with (or no how to fix) sound issues in Jade Empire?

I hear ambient sounds, but whenever a character speaks, there's nothing

Rotanibor

Okay, so I got the Civ 4 Complete pack, and I am just wondering if I can just install Beyond the Sword and get all the single player scenarios from the plain Civ 4, or if I should install Civ 4 and start off playing that. Are the scenarios in Civ 4 Plain even worth it? Note: I have also never played a Civ game ever before, so I don't know if that changes anything.

Mr. B said:
Aw snap, called it 5 days in advance.

Who is this woman that shows up in many people's avatars?
aHvF5.gif

Top Bottom