• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Althane

A last offer, I'm headed to bed soon, and planning on sleeping in long past noon, so if anyone who wants a Max Payne bundle, but can't get it, PM me your e-mail or your community ID page and I'll hook you up.

Only the one though... though if I'm feeling generous (and more importantly, I get a bonus), I'll probably do the same thing for some of the cheaper games on the next few deals. =P

Edit: Huh, TOTP... didn't expect that. XD (100 posts per page, at least)

Edit: And it's taken...

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Sorry if this was answered, but do the max payne games support gamepads? I'd like to use a 360 controller to play them. I already have them for my xbox, got them dirt cheap, but I'd rather play them on PC if I can use my gamepad, and for less than $2 a pop, that'd be worth it.

Snapshot King said:
Thanks a million for the re-assurances. My main idea was that some guy sitting behind a desk would lolz at me and decide I didn't have enough proof. Phew. Any idea how long I'm going to have to wait? I can't participate in the sale now =(
Can you sent gifts to that account?

Dambrosi

Banned
Right. So, up till now:

STALKER
TGP/BTDT Double Pack
Sniper Elite
Audiosurf
Lumines/Advanced Pack (is Rez HD on Steam, I wonder? Would be godly)
Battlefield 2 Complete
Torchlight
Bioshock

And now, Max Payne Double Pack and Osmos.

Not getting Civ 4 Complete because of the Play.com deal - I want to see if the CD key from the DVD version will work in Steam and give me Colonization for free, like the CD key for my copy of Dark Messiah did. And if not, well, it's only five quid down the swannee for a game that I might not like instead of eight! :lol

Still waiting on Witcher, Mass Effect and SF4 daily deals.

drakesfortune said:
Sorry if this was answered, but do the max payne games support gamepads? I'd like to use a 360 controller to play them. I already have them for my xbox, got them dirt cheap, but I'd rather play them on PC if I can use my gamepad, and for less than $2 a pop, that'd be worth it.
Definitely No for the first one . . . it came out before the xbox 360 existed. I really doubt the 2nd one.

You could probably get one of the third party tools like xpadder to get the controller to work with it, but you'd probably be much better off with mouse keyboard.

Sloegr

Dambrosi said:
Not getting Civ 4 Complete because of the Play.com deal - I want to see if the CD key from the DVD version will work in Steam and give me Colonization for free, like the CD key for my copy of Dark Messiah did. And if not, well, it's only five quid down the swannee for a game that I might not like instead of eight! :lol

You won't be able to enter the CD key for Civ 4 into Steam. It only works for a small number of games (like Dark Messiah, as you found out).

DietSnapple

Neo Member
Dambrosi said:

Beaten but cd keys into steam only work for the games listed here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I got Civilization 4 Complete...I've been a very naughty naughty boy. =[

I feel bad, but I don't feel too bad. I still haven't spent 100$ yet on steam this year, So I'm quite happy :lol

Goddamn i love my new Shuichi avatar way too much.

Poigea

Bah... GAF is too generous! I wanted to help some people out, but it looks like GAF took care of everyone so far. I am about to go to bed, but am still in the holiday spirit, if there is anyone who still wants Max Payne, but can't get it PM me FAST and I will help you out. If not maybe with tomorrows deals I will be able to help some people.

Poigea

Justin said:
Fuck! I got the Civ 4 pack and spent the last 5 hours playing and now I have to be at work in 5 hours!

Civ 4 can be quite the time vampire, but I love it, can't wait to play the expansions soon!

Brashnir

Justin said:
Fuck! I got the Civ 4 pack and spent the last 5 hours playing and now I have to be at work in 5 hours!

Hello and Welcome to the Fellowship Of Civilization Users with Sleep Deprivation. (FOCUS'D) You'll receive your membership card in the mail in 3-6 days.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Wow. New people still getting hooked on Civ 4. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad for you. Bah, it's the holidays. Spend all of your time playing, it's like computer crack.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just found out...the Civilization did push me over 100$ for the year on Steam.

117$...so actually something else did :lol

Still a bit sad I didn't wait for 5$ Torchlight or Killing Floor. Only played about 4 Hours of Torchlight so far...while...20+ of Killing Floor:lol

I'm so bad at Civ 4 but i'm really digging the game.

Took me a while just to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do (even after watching the tutorial.)

Think I spent 7 hours playing it today.. lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
bathala said:
just played 3 hours and CivIv froze.

CivIv is sucking my time. I got all the deals I want (Witcher and CivIv)

It has only begun

edit: that goes for everyone on this page talking about much too long sessions of Civ.

Lkr

I'm about to try out Civ IV. I got it on Black Friday(GOTY edition) for $5 but never played it. All the chatter in here made me open her up. I don't have time for all of these games!

zugzug

CecilRousso said:
Good to finally have a daily special where the games interest me. Got Max Payne II and Colonization. :D

I am sorry you spent money on Colonization.

CiV IV I cheer you but Colonization nopes.

zugzug said:

it's not that bad. It's no Civ IV I agree but it also has an addictive quality and it's pretty fun if maybe a bit repetitive after 20 or so playthroughs

zugzug said:

I have played Civ4 so much in LAN with my friends that I´m now really sick of it. :lol I bought Colonization just to get another take on the Civ concept.

Poigea

Q8D3vil said:
Poigea , thanks for everything you've done

downloading civ 4 now :D

Not a problem.

Off to bed now though, glad I could help some people out tonight. Depending on tomorrows deals I may be able to help some others out.

Did a check on the games I´ve bought since Steam started to go really crazy with midweek and weekend deals in October.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - 10,19€
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne -2,49€
Torchlight - 7,99€
Medieval II: Total War - 2,49€
Altitude - 7,25€
Star Wars: KOTOR - 2,24€
Mass Effect - 7,49€
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - 14,99€

55,10€ for all those games is kinda sweet. :D

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
sigh....ok now i bought the complete civ 4 package...im spending way too much money

i wont care later though, but now ill act remorseful.

Firestorm

The deal was set up pretty badly today with both the Max Payne and Civilization IV bundles not on the front page. My friend just got screwed =/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Firestorm said:
The deal was set up pretty badly today with both the Max Payne and Civilization IV bundles not on the front page.
Yeah, it was pretty clear they did it to fill up the 6th spot.

zoku88

I remember when Gamersgate had a deal where you could buy colonization and get EUIII (vanilla) for free. I ended up playing EUIII a lot and bought Complete XD Never even touched Colonization.

Maybe I should download it sometime.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Firestorm said:
The deal was set up pretty badly today with both the Max Payne and Civilization IV bundles not on the front page. My friend just got screwed =/
Friend should read Gaf. I was about to bounce of them...read Gaf. Saved an extra 1.25.

Spent a bit less than 120$ so far, Got all this.
Steam Store Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Steam Store Max Payne Bundle
Steam Store Defense Grid: The Awakening
Steam Store Audiosurf
Steam Store Killing Floor
Steam Store Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Steam Store Torchlight
Steam Store The Last Remnant (SEI)
Steam Store Star Wars: KOTOR
Steam Store THQ Complete Pack
Steam Store Plants vs. Zombies

As you can tell, I've become quite a fan of DD

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Firestorm said:

Yea. And the Civ4 bundle ended up being #1 :lol

I grabbed the bundle even though i've never played civ4 before. This should be entertaining.

Aaron

Civ 4 is one of the greatest games of all time, so yeah it should be. I've been playing countless games in hotseat multi with a friend, and it always feels fresh and new. The variety is just insane. No other game comes remotely close.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Should I get Civ 4? My only Civ experience is Civ Revolutions on the iPhone, which I didn't completely understand enough to keep playing. It bored me after a half hour or so, plus I didn't fully grasp the controls.

I know everyone goes ape shit for Civ 4, but I never really hear why, just that it's good. Is it worth the $7? (Or do I need the "complete edition" for twice the price?) I'm just not sure it's something I'd be able to get into.

Although, one of my best friends works at Firaxis, so I do kind of feel like I should try out one of the games he's made. =P

Brashnir

Dacvak said:
Should I get Civ 4? My only Civ experience is Civ Revolutions on the iPhone, which I didn't completely understand enough to keep playing. It bored me after a half hour or so, plus I didn't fully grasp the controls.

I know everyone goes ape shit for Civ 4, but I never really hear why, just that it's good. Is it worth the $7? (Or do I need the "complete edition" for twice the price?) I'm just not sure it's something I'd be able to get into.

Although, one of my best friends works at Firaxis, so I do kind of feel like I should try out one of the games he's made. =P

The Civ games are great because they're great strategy games based on immediately recognizable and understandable relics of human history.

I haven't played the iphone port of Civ Rev, so I don't know if it's just a bad port, but if you want to try out IV the expansions are definitely not required. Vanilla Civ 4 is one of the best games around. Once you've played with Beyond the Sword, it can be hard to go back, but the game is still great on its own for first-timers.

Aaron

Dacvak said:

Civ Rev on iphone is almost impossible to play properly if you haven't played the other versions, I think. Civ 4 is easier to grasp, but at the same time has much greater depth. It's also a very customizable game, so you can decide what sort of experience you'll have, whether starting a country from scratch, or jumping into a scenario with armies and cities laid out for you.

The expansions are nice, but you don't need them. You can get a lot of mileage just out of plain Civ 4.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Much-appreciated responses. Way different than the "WTF BUY IT NOW" response I was expecting.

It's been years since I've been able to get into games like that, like Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc, and I think that part of my gamer being died a while ago. (Right around the time I discovered Melee.) But I feel like, as a PC gamer, I really would be disgracing myself to have never tried it, and for 7 bucks, I don't think I can go wrong. (I mean, I spent more than that on fucking ice cream today, and I pretty much hate ice cream.)

I guess I'll give it a whirl.

Top Bottom