• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

WTF. Steam mislead me with their shit. I didn't know that Max Payne had a bundle that was cheaper than buying both, I just added both games from the main sale page and bought them and Steam didn't apply the bundle discount. Nothing to really complain about since it's only like a dollar something, but still kind of annoying lol.

FreezeSSC

Downloaded GTAIV on steam, is there anyway to get rid of the GFWL thing?? its really annoying and in order to save a profile i need to create an account, which i would rather not do.

epmode

MisterAnderson said:
WTF. Steam mislead me with their shit. I didn't know that Max Payne had a bundle that was cheaper than buying both, I just added both games from the main sale page and bought them and Steam didn't apply the bundle discount. Nothing to really complain about since it's only like a dollar something, but still kind of annoying lol.
Next time you click on a game, take a look at the description. It'll actually list all bundles that include the game, along with the bundle's price.
FreezeSSC said:
Downloaded GTAIV on steam, is there anyway to get rid of the GFWL thing?? its really annoying and in order to save a profile i need to create an account, which i would rather not do.
Bite the bullet. A bunch of other games use the same program and your account will carry over to all of them.

Salaadin

A lot of people picking up the Max Payne bundle...Im assuming that means the PC versions of these games are good? They were designed with the PC in mind so there shouldnt be any stupid issues right?

Firebrand

SapientWolf said:
Did Shattered Horizon already go on sale? The lack of a demo makes me wary about spending more than 10 duckets.

No sale on it yet. Go check the Steam forum for people handing out guest passes, or bug someone on your friends list who has the game.

epmode

Salaadin said:
A lot of people picking up the Max Payne bundle...Im assuming that means the PC versions of these games are good? They were designed with the PC in mind so there shouldnt be any stupid issues right?
The PC versions are fine. Much better, even.

Just remember to play in a 4:3 resolution. The game doesn't really support widescreen resolutions even though you can choose them. The aspect ratio gets all fucky.

bathala

Banned
damn CivIV is addicting.

I can't believe wat I'm missing from DS/360 version. PC version is so detailed. there's so much options :D

Also picked up the Max Payne duo pack. Long-term favorites from the Xbox days. And as mentioned above, best to stick with 4:3. Say, 1400x1050 with aspect retention rather than 1680x.

Hate to hijack the topic with tech support, but its the only place I knew I could find some steamheads.

I choose to remember my password for convenience, and I changed it a few weeks ago. However, can't remember what it is, and when I tried to get it changed, instead of asking me my secret question, Steams asking me what's the last passphrase they set my account to, which I can't remember. I made a ticket, posted a bunch of my receipts and my problem, and now, nothing. Anything else I can do? I'm flipping out, I bought a bunch of games on steam today and if I lose my account it means that I'm losing close to a thousand bucks worth of PC games. =(

Parham

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Hate to hijack the topic with tech support, but its the only place I knew I could find some steamheads.

I choose to remember my password for convenience, and I changed it a few weeks ago. However, can't remember what it is, and when I tried to get it changed, instead of asking me my secret question, Steams asking me what's the last passphrase they set my account to, which I can't remember. I made a ticket, posted a bunch of my receipts and my problem, and now, nothing. Anything else I can do? I'm flipping out, I bought a bunch of games on steam today and if I lose my account it means that I'm losing close to a thousand bucks worth of PC games. =(

Here is how you can reclaim a lost account.

Firestorm

FreezeSSC said:
You don't have a Hotmail, Xbox, or MSN?

legend166

Is there any chance of getting in trouble by buying the Max Payne bundle from UK store if I'm in Australia? Like, they'll see my IP is from Australia and flag my account for doing something dodgy?

Parham

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Thanks, I'm just worried they won't give it to me anyway. All the threads I've managed to google just say you're SOL no matter what and that steam support is terrible. Any idea how long they take to reply?

Usually one business day. However, because of the holiday sale, it may take a little while longer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
legend166 said:
Is there any chance of getting in trouble by buying the Max Payne bundle from UK store if I'm in Australia? Like, they'll see my IP is from Australia and flag my account for doing something dodgy?
Well i bought L4D 2 with that trick, and nothing happened. However, max payne 1 & 2 is a game that is specifically not available on the AUS store in comparison to the L4D 2 pack, so i'm not to sure.

Snapshot King said:

You will be fine Support can take 3-5 business days to respond. As long as you included receipts etc. you have nothing to worry about.

vazel

Banned
Yay another day with nothing I want. Btw Max Payne 2 is an awesome game but I would skip the first game it hasn't aged well.

Edit: Oh the bundle is cheap anyway might as well get that.

vocab

vazel said:
Yay another day with nothing I want. Btw Max Payne 2 is an awesome game but I would skip the first game it hasn't aged well.

pfft one is better than two in a lot of ways. Story mainly, and I find the game play to be much more satisfying.

Just wanted to say that Althane is a freaking awesome guy. He gifted me the Max Payne bundle without wanting anything in return. :D
thumbs_up.jpg

Red

SapientWolf said:
Did Shattered Horizon already go on sale? The lack of a demo makes me wary about spending more than 10 duckets.
I'm in the same boat. Really hoping it's one of the daily specials.

azentium said:
Usually one business day. However, because of the holiday sale, it may take a little while longer.

LovingSteam said:
You will be fine Support can take 3-5 business days to respond. As long as you included receipts etc. you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I was losing my mind over the possibility of essentially flushing a grand down the toilet on a password error. I only have one boxed game, DOW2, sent them a ton of pictures of that, as well as my transcripts (confirmation number and junk) from my holiday purchases, that should be enough, right? =\

I can't believe changing my password often came back to bite me in the ass so hard.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
If anyone here doesn't have Osmos, I highly recommend it. The concept is amazing. Very elegant.

vazel

Banned
Valve is awesome with account recovery just be sure to keep your emails and credit card numbers you used to buy the games handy. Only negative part is if the guy that jacks your account cheats online Valve will not reset your banned status on VAC.

vazel said:
Valve is awesome with account recovery just be sure to keep your emails and credit card numbers you used to buy the games handy.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable posting my full credit card number anywhere, but I copy pasted a bunch of my "thanks for purchasing this shit on steam" emails. I imagine that's just as well?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
A Dog Chasing Cars said:
Just wanted to say that Althane is a freaking awesome guy. He gifted me the Max Payne bundle without wanting anything in return. :D
thumbs_up.jpg
it must be because of your fantastic avatar.

this thread is full of goodwill, i love it!

Salaadin said:

They're PC games through and through and its the only legitimate platform to play the games on, really. If you have issues with audio not showing up, there's fixes.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Tried to login with what I thought was my password and username, didn't work. Tried to recover my password, said my they couldn't find a member with my username or my email address. What the fuck? I just made an account the other day.

iammeiam

So at 9:30, I check the Steam page from work, briefly glance at the game list, and decide I'll probably get away with nothing but Osmos today. $2, not bad.

Then I get home and realize that all 4 Civ 4 games are under $14 combined, and that the two Max Paynes, in a bundle, are less than $4.

I am now $21.07 poorer. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure I'll have so many games by Jan 3rd that I'll wind up not buying any further PC titles until next winter.

legend166

giant_frying_pan from the UK gifted me the Max Payne bundle (I'm in Aus) through email and we had no problems.

He's an awesome guy too, because he gave it to me for free. Old school PALCB represent.

Salacious Crumb

The only games I'm looking to buy next year are Mass effect 2, Assassin's creed 2, and splinter cell if that turns out good. my newly acquired backlog should keep me company for the rest of the year.

vazel said:
You didn't have to post your entire cc number and you shouldn't over email which is like sending postcards over the USPS. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366

Yeah, I re-read the account hijack guide before your post, wrote my account and ticket number next to my CD-key, posted the CC information they wanted, the emails that were probably first associated with my Steam account. I'm still worried they'll tell me to fuck off anyway though. =\

Althane

I figure I have enough to gift one last copy of Max Payne, people who can't get it only please (AUS only, I guess?). PM me if you want.

Salacious Crumb

Althane said:
I figure I have enough to gift one last copy of Max Payne, people who can't get it only please (AUS only, I guess?). PM me if you want.

You are a kind and gentle person who deserves access to all the vagina he wants.

Salaadin said:
Mind blown. They are PC games that got ported to the consoles.

Top Bottom