• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Blizzard

Banned
I already own both Crysis games and Darwinia and thus don't want Multiwinia. Oh, and SFIV. nice deals though, if I didn't have them. :lol ;_;

About Crysis, if you're not good at FPS games I would NOT suggest starting out on Delta, but whatever. Even on normal in Crysis Warhead I was still frustrated by enemies instantly spotting me half a mile away and killing me in very short order, to the point where I couldn't really find a playstyle besides "be permanently invisible and snipe everyone, occasionally shotgunning people at close range". I only played a level or two though.

In general it seems like a good game though, and maybe my experience was just bad. I still haven't played original Crysis which is supposedly better.

I did pick up Shattered Horizon...supporting a PC dev for $5 seems worth it even if my computer can't handle it right now. :)

Salaadin

I never played Half Life. Is Half Life Source a good start or would I be better off waiting to see if the Valve Complete pack goes any lower?

I already own (and love love love!) The Orange Box.

cramcakes said:
Crysis pack is tempting... but the Securom notice is right there on the page. Is the Steam version less intrusive?

Securom has never been intrusive really, and there's a revoke/removal tool anyway. You're paying less than $15 for the pair, to let something trivial like that put you off is just foolish.

Delerat

Neo Member
cramcakes said:
Crysis pack is tempting... but the Securom notice is right there on the page. Is the Steam version less intrusive?
Y'know what? As much as I hate SecuROM, I'm willing to spend $14 on essentially renting Crysis and Crysis Warhead for a few years. Basically until I'm bored of them. I tend to reformat once a year, so that gives me 5 years.

kswiston said:
What are your system specs? I get 60FPS on my 720P TV set with almost everything maxed out in Crysis. On my 1600x900 monitor, I get maybe 35-40FPS. I have an Athlon X2 5600+ (2.9Ghz, dual core) with 8GB DDR2 1066 and a 1GB Radeon 4870. I'm running Win7 64bit.

You don't need a super computer to run Crysis. Especially on lower resolutions.

My specs are Phenom II X3 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce 9800GTX+ 512MB and WinXP.
My fear is pretty much just superficial. I still probably going to get them.
I plan on getting in video card sometime in the new year anyways.

dejan

Relix said:
If I can't get past the working screen I'll give up on ever purchasing a Steam game again :lol
It took me almost 3 minutes, but it finally passed. Patience is the key. Their servers must be getting hammered.

Javaman

speculawyer said:
But that is the thing about these daily sales . . . even with ALL the games, that cost what . . . $38, I think? Lower than the cost of a single new HD console game already heavily discounted at Amazon.

I'm kinda excited about Half-Life source . . . it has been years since I played HL and it will be cool to go back with even better graphics. OK . . . I know this is going to be offensive . . . but I can I use a game controller with HL Source?

Not that I'm knocking it, it's still an amazing game but the source improvements do very little to the gfx. It's mostly physics stuff and water that's changed IIRC.

Salaadin said:
I never played Half Life. Is Half Life Source a good start or would I be better off waiting to see if the Valve Complete pack goes any lower?

Get the HL: Anthology

zombieshavebrains said:
Oh shit SFIV is 10 bucks, biting now. Xbox 360 controller support is good right?

Perfect but why in the hell you'd want to use that dpad is beyond me.

Delerat said:
Y'know what? As much as I hate SecuROM, I'm willing to spend $14 on essentially renting Crysis and Crysis Warhead for a few years. Basically until I'm bored of them. I tend to reformat once a year, so that gives me 5 years.

All of EA's games have a license revoke tool.

woodchuck said:
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but does Half Life: Source have 360 controller support? I have a really cramped Laptop, and using the keyboard for FPS is a pain in the ass.
I have the same question.

My guess would be "No".

Boonoo

zombieshavebrains said:
Oh shit SFIV is 10 bucks, biting now. Xbox 360 controller support is good right?

Good as in it works just like the 360 version. I find myself wanting a stick or the saturn pad, though. I hear the keyboard works great, though I've never tried it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
dejan said:
It took me almost 3 minutes, but it finally passed. Patience is the key. Their servers must be getting hammered.

I've been for like 7 minutes now =(.

Last time this happened they billed me but said there was an error. To this day they haven't fixed that. They said my card was declined, which is pure BS =P. Oh well.

dejan

zombieshavebrains said:
I played it with the Xbox 360 controller, the Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Fightstick and with Hori's Xbox 360 Real Arcade Pro EX. Runs flawlessly with any of them ... well except with the controller, because of the shitty dpad.

naib

zombieshavebrains said:
I'm wondering the same thing about the PS3 TE stick. There's a thread over on SRK but it hasn't been active in awhile.

Anyone try the PS3 TE on win7?

edit:can't read

cramcakes

brain_stew said:
Securom has never been intrusive really, and there's a revoke/removal tool anyway. You're paying less than $15 for the pair, to let something trivial like that put you off is just foolish.

I don't mind the activation limit, it was the other stuff that Securom did that I didn't care for. But if there's a fix... :D Thanks for the info.

datamage

Delerat said:

Isn't it supposed to be 5 activations for different computers? So if you just format and re-install, using the same pc, it shouldn't take an extra activation, right? Or does it work differently?

Salaadin said:

I doubt they'll lower the Complete pack further.

Yes, get HL:source. No brainer.

Rur0ni

I'm never buying a PC game again until Steam Holiday Sales. Or if it's like a mega super blockbuster from Valve ie Episode 3.

I might as well throw out my guest passes

PM me for Shattered Horizon and/or Killing Floor guest passes.

Also have 1 Day of Defeat: Source guest pass if anyone wants.

Rur0ni

Crunched said:
Eh, I thought the Shattered Horizon clan pack had four games? Steam says I only have two extra copies.
That's a problem, best contact someone. Page clearly says: "Four games for the price of three! Send the extra copies to your friends!"

dem said:
I have a 4870 and an i7... but the crysis benchmarks scare me away.. :p

Don't be stupid, jeez. Even on "high" settings its the best looking game out there (well apart from Shattered Horizon, heh), so the framerate you get is more than appropriate.

Zzoram said:
I find my HD4870 can't quite max the game (Warhead), and it's annoying. I have a 3GHz C2D.

It can run around mostly 30fps at max, (never use AA in Crysis/Warhead, it ruins the jungle) 1680x1050, vsync on, but it dips a lot.

Turning a few things down to High instead of Very High helps to stabilize the framerate though. I never tried turning off vsync but I'd imagine that might help a bit too.

That said, Crysis seems to have been designed to play excellently at 30fps. It's the dips that annoy me.

Enable the inengine triple buffering then, that should make the dips a lot less harsh.

Feep

Banned
Oh goddamn it. I assumed the deals reset at midnight, not noon, and I missed my chance to buy the Max Payne games. Ugh.

Oh well. Not like I don't have enough to play already.

Salaadin

I cant wait to start up Crysis. Thatll be next after I beat the Witcher. I loved the demo. It looks gorgeous on my system. So exciting!

Spwn

Well may as well buy the Multiwinia + Darwinia -pack, but only to hint Introversion Software that a Defcon daily deal would be very nice.

Games bought:
Civ4 complete
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Max Payne bundle
Prey
Serious Sam HD
Lumines

Oh geez.

Sciz

graywolf323 said:
holy **** :O Crysis Complete for $13?

I regret buying it for $30 a couple months ago...

oh well it was worth $30
This, exactly this. Never buying a game for less than 50% off again. :(

kswiston

DigitalSoul said:
My specs are Phenom II X3 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce 9800GTX+ 512MB and WinXP.
My fear is pretty much just superficial. I still probably going to get them.
I plan on getting in video card sometime in the new year anyways.

Ya, you would be able to run the game at a decent res on at least high settings. Why Win XP though? You're losing out on that 4GB of DDR3.

Top Bottom