• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Couldn't wait any longer for Mass Effect with that price for Crysis Maximum Edition. Sorry Bioware. Thanks Crytec. And EA wins either way.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Wow, never understood the hype about Crysis until I just tried it. Game looks and plays like a freaking masterpiece.

Ignore the feeling you just got from playing Crysis and try to remember that it's just a fancy tech demo.

Also, Bad art.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Is that running on the stock fan?

mine does this too. an evga 8800 gt superclocked, and I've always had this issue. :(

Rebooting fixes it, and I'm running with a core i7 920 oc'd to 3900mhz and 6gb of ram.

Spy

Costanza said:
Try paypal. You're mistakenly flagged for "fraud". Paypal MIGHT still work.
I tried Paypal.

Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

Is Steam Support usually pretty fast in resolving issues like this?

CurlySaysX said:
Its a gigabyte 4850OC which i think came with a zalman fan.
It's a pretty cheap looking fan but seems to do the job.

I have the same card and and have the same results. 45c idle and around 60c - 65c under load.

Spy said:
I tried Paypal.

Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

Is Steam Support usually pretty fast in resolving issues like this?
It sounds like you are totally locked out. they are pretty fast at resolving these . . . but tomorrow is news years day. :-/

Did you say you tried the 'create a 2nd account trick'? Create an account for a friend/relative and then gift from there. Or you can paypal a GAFFER (like me) the money and they'll buy it for you.

BTW: This talk about hot cards is kinda funny . . . sounds like 1950's hot rodders talking about their cars. Blowing out an engine seems more like a mechanical thing but it definitely is a problem with fast processors. They are just running them so fast and the internal layout geometry is so small that they can have thermal break down.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My 8800GT in sli get hot but they hover around 80-90C. I've never had 100C. Does your case get good ventilation?

Actually, I'm not sure about the temps, but I know it goes into that 100% fan shit. I'm running an antec 900 with stock fans on low because they get too loud. :(

It hasn't happened in a while though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If I didn't buy Civilization Complete last night. I would have bought Crysis today:lol

Anyways, Should I get Medieval II Total War or Rome Total War. I mean which one is considered the go to Total War game. And if I get either. Will I need the Expansions?

speculawyer said:
It sounds like you are totally locked out. they are pretty fast at resolving these . . . but tomorrow is news years day. :-/

Did you say you tried the 'create a 2nd account trick'? Create an account for a friend/relative and then gift from there. Or you can paypal a GAFFER (like me) the money and they'll buy it for you.

I might need your help in getting Crysis as well. I'm in the same boat waiting for support to fix the issue about not being able to buy it because of some error.

kpeezy

Banned
Spy said:
I am really pissed off right now. My debit card is now getting declined and my credit card (which I've never even used before on Steam) is getting declined too. I tried making a new account and gifting to myself and an 'unexpected error occurred'.

I contacted Steam Support and I hope they resolve this today or I am going to be angry.

My debit card was being declined and I noticed the expiration date on file for the card had mysteriously changed from 2012 to 2011. Maybe not such an easy fix for you.

Wallach said:
Well, they aren't doing anything at the moment, so not much.

If you're sure the RAM is compatible with your setup (I think it would be)... well, I have been really good about not breaking my "1 game per daily deal" lately, and I already bought SF4. But I mean, if someone gifted say, Crysis Complete, I wouldn't really be breaking my rule at all, right?:lol

Check your pm, I am guessing it works with my motherboard... not sure why it wouldn't?

Annihilator said:
I might need your help in getting Crysis as well. I'm in the same boat waiting for support to fix the issue about not being able to buy it because of some error.
I hope my account doesn't go down again :lol . . . everyday I've been making big purchases . . . and sometimes multiple helping others. I try to group the purchases together to minimize the risk of triggering their anti-fraud system.

SuperAwesome said:
Actually, I'm not sure about the temps, but I know it goes into that 100% fan shit. I'm running an antec 900 with stock fans on low because they get too loud. :(

It hasn't happened in a while though.

It can also be driver sometimes though. I know mine were going nuts when it was still doing the opening movies for the companies so I started to control them manually and then a little bit later I put in new video drivers and it never did it again.

Edit: Fan isn't always the best way to tell. You should also look at temps to make sure it's not a driver issue.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It can also be driver sometimes though. I know mine were going nuts when it was still doing the opening movies for the companies so I started to control them manually and then a little bit later I put in new video drivers and it never did it again.

By default I have them set at 47%, and it seems to run at 72 degrees when gaming. Too hot?

SuperAwesome said:
By default I have them set at 47%, and it seems to run at 72 degrees when gaming. Too hot?

Nah, that seems acceptable. Some run hotter than others but 100C+ is too high. Mine are always in the 80s somewhere in my case and haven't had any problems.

Parham

Banned
kamspy said:
If I uninstall my retail Crysis will my retail saves be retained for the Steam version?

It depends upon where the Steam version of Crysis keeps its save files. If they both store their saves in My Documents/Crysis, then the Steam version should be able to use your current saves just fine. However, just as a precaution, back up your save files in a separate location before uninstalling the retail copy.

Annihilator said:

I am also locked out for Crysis. This is the second time this happened since the sale started. If anyone can help me out let me know because I don't think anyone is at the support desk for the rest of the day or tomorrow.

I tried the second account and it didn't work either. Damn you valve!

Spy

speculawyer said:

BTW: This talk about hot cards is kinda funny . . . sounds like 1950's hot rodders talking about their cars. Blowing out an engine seems more like a mechanical thing but it definitely is a problem with fast processors. They are just running them so fast and the internal layout geometry is so small that they can have thermal break down.
Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it if it doesn't get fixed soon.

I just checked my credit card statement and...

12/31/09 CHKCARDVALVE SOFTWARE SEATTLE WAUS $62.62
12/31/09 CHKCARDSTEAM GAMES WWWBELLEVU WAUS $62.62

WHAT? The payment didn't go through, why am I being charged?

Spy said:
Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it if it doesn't get fixed soon.

I just checked my credit card statement and...

12/31/09 CHKCARDVALVE SOFTWARE SEATTLE WAUS $62.62
12/31/09 CHKCARDSTEAM GAMES WWWBELLEVU WAUS $62.62

WHAT? The payment didn't go through, why am I being charged?

They place an authorization for the amount when you try to purchase something. Technically you haven't been charged for it until it posts.

Edit: Looks like that is posted though. Did you spend that amount the other day? At first I thought you were talking about purchases done today.

Doytch

shintoki said:
If I didn't buy Civilization Complete last night. I would have bought Crysis today:lol

Anyways, Should I get Medieval II Total War or Rome Total War. I mean which one is considered the go to Total War game. And if I get either. Will I need the Expansions?
Get Rome. M2 isn't that great without the expack since most of the mods require it and the base game is kinda meh. Rome includes the Barbarian expack, which is what most mods require on that side. I recommend checking out Europa Barbarorum if you end up getting R:TW.

shintoki said:

That's fine they're specified to about ~100C.

noisome07

Banned
blackMamba1187 said:
Anyone want to get in on a shattered Horizon 4-pack? Copies are $3.75 ea.

I'm gonna give it a try with a guest pass on my PC to see how it runs. If all goes well I'll be down for a 4 pack.

Speaking of guest passes.. anyone have one? :(

zoku88

Looks like nothing for me today.

I was almost tempted to double dip for MII:TW, but I can't believe they didn't do the whole pack -_-;;

Expensive day, I bought everything but Medieval II: Total War. I tried the demo, just couldn't get into it. Camera annoyed me a bit too.

First two people to show that they've already bought Bionic Commando: Rearmed can have my Shattered Horizon guest passes. If you don't have it on Steam, 360 Achievements or PS3 Trophies are acceptable too.

Shattered Horizon is so popular that it is appearing twice on the Top 20 Sellers list :O

Anyways, this seemed to really help the community from the last time that I played it. Last time, there was only 3-4 actual servers being used, now there looks to be around 15-20 servers.

chixdiggit

Spy said:
I am really pissed off right now. My debit card is now getting declined and my credit card (which I've never even used before on Steam) is getting declined too. I tried making a new account and gifting to myself and an 'unexpected error occurred'.

I contacted Steam Support and I hope they resolve this today or I am going to be angry.

Having the same exact issue. I might need to send someone pay pal money.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Shattered Horizon is so popular that it is appearing twice on the Top 20 Sellers list :O

Anyways, this seemed to really help the community from the last time that I played it. Last time, there was only 3-4 actual servers being used, now there looks to be around 15-20 servers.

Have they launched the new maps yet, or are they still to come?

I bought:

HL: Source (its the only Valve title not on my list, had to be done)
Shattered Horizon (always planned to pick it up but too strapped for cash)
Street Fighter IV (way too cheap to pass up, an insane deal, my Saturn USB pad will be very happy!)

Getting Shattered Horizon and Crysis for sure. Will be nice to have Crysis installed along with my Steam games even though I own it on disk already. Never played warhead though.

crimsonheadGCN said:
I believe they are still in Beta testing.

Cool those + this Steam deal should give the community a real shot in the arm. You know its completely ridiculous to think but if they were launching thos maps for a console game they'd end up costing twice as much as the full game + the maps costs on Steam right now! :lol :lol

God bless Steam, its absolutely the number 1 platform in gaming these days as far as I'm concerned, they're delivering more and more each day. I don't think i could ever go back to a world of £40 games + £7 map packs + £40 a year online sunscriptions. That amount of money could get me something like 25 awesome games on Steam! :lol

So including gifts, this sale has netted me:

Street Fighter IV
Shattered Horizon
HL: Source
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Killing Floor
Trine
Dark Sector
Torchlight
Ghost Master
Lumines + advanced pack
Titan Quest Gold
Zombie Shooter 2
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Painkiller: Black Edition

Holy fucking shit!!!!

How in the hell will I get through that bunch, Jesus wept. Still my personal outlay is only just past the £25 mark! Score! For less than the price of one HD game I netted all of that! :D Even when you add in how much it cost those sending me gifts it still comes in at under £50. So just over £3 per game and all but one of them were on my radar previously, I can get used to that.

OK, several people are having problems. I'll buy for you if you paypal me. But I want to group together purchases for several people having problems. I'm scared that if I keep doing one by one, the number of transactions will set off the steam fraud alarms.

So PM if you need to buy something but can't due to lock-out . . .

Truespeed

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are you sure? I remember people saying the removal tool doesn't work with the steam version.

I just grabbed the revoke tool for my copy of GTA IV on Steam and it picked it up right away:

2cnk2nk.jpg

Firestorm

AGHHHHH

Second day in a row.

First Civilization IV Complete for $13.70 even though I bought at $19.99 and haven't played it yet. Now Crysis Maximum for $13.70 even though I bought ONLY Crysis at $14.99 and haven't played it yet.

New Year's Resolution: Do not buy Steam Games even on Weekend Sale unless I'm going to play it right away.

vehn

Kudos to Keyser Soze for gifting me Killing Floor and the Star Wars Jedi Knight collection! Good thing I didn't change my picks from the previous days!

Top Bottom