• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Hmm, tough choices. I hate to get SF4, even at $10, with the definitive SSF4 just around the corner. Also, the Crysis demo almost burned up my 4850, so I'm not sure if my computer is ready for it just yet.

Also not not a big fan of Securom on Crysis or Windows Live on SF4.

DeadFalling said:
IS it worth buying crysis if I have to run it on this:

radeon hd 3650
4gb ddr3 ram
core 2 duo T9600
win 7 64bit

It'll run at low/medium, but I'd save it for future rigs, you're going to want the games at some point and they're not going to get much cheaper than $13.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Hmm, tough choices. I hate to get SF4, even at $10, with the definitive SSF4 just around the corner. Also, the Crysis demo almost burned up my 4850, so I'm not sure if my computer is ready for it just yet.

Also not not a big fan of Securom on Crysis or Windows Live on SF4.

If a game causes your card to overheat then the card is faulty and needs returning, the game is fine.

brain_stew said:
If a game causes your card to overheat then the card is faulty and needs returning, the game is fine.

Well I know the card runs hot, I just get a bit nervous when it hits 100C+ and my fan manager turns on the emergency 100% jet engine fan mode, that's all.

How does the original Crysis compare to Warhead? I played through Warhead and found it ok, but nothing amazing. Is the original a better experience?

Quixzlizx said:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/987/

I'm planning on putting together a gaming PC in the next month, and Crysis would be a perfect game to start out on, but I don't know if I want to pay for a product that contains SecuROM.

Sure in an ideal world we wouldn't have to deal with it, but in reality what difference is it going to cause you in the end? The program is not a root kit, it can be removed and there's a revoke tool. Really, outside of unjustified paranoia, there's no excuse to pass the games up.

Wallach

Hell yeah, there's my SF4 deal. Knew it was coming. :D

May also bite on Crysis Complete... but I didn't break my word for Sid Meier, I dunno if I can do it for Crytek.

kswiston said:
Ya, you would be able to run the game at a decent res on at least high settings. Why Win XP though? You're losing out on that 4GB of DDR3.

WinXP is all I have for now. It just temporary until I can get Windows 7(soon hopefully)
My monitor is 1680x1050, hope thats what you consider decent res.

Could my computer run crysis decently?
I have a intel core2 duo e6400 which i plan on overclocking once I figure out how, and I just got a 5770 for christmas. I will be upgrading to 4gb ram in about a month once I can afford it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blu_LED said:
Is HL:S the definitive version of HL, until the Black Mesa thing comes out?

HL Vanilla is the definitive version of HL. HL Source looks weird with random new effects added and also has the difficulty levels broken.

naib said:
I'm wondering the same thing about the PS3 TE stick. There's a thread over on SRK but it hasn't been active in awhile.

Anyone try the PS3 TE on win7?

edit:can't read
I plugged in my PS3 Soul Calibur Hori Fighting Stick ex 2 to my win 7 pc and recognized it. The true test if SFIV will...

Basileus777 said:
How does the original Crysis compare to Warhead? I played through Warhead and found it ok, but nothing amazing. Is the original a better experience?
Crysis Warhead had more open environments, in Crysis, the open enviroments go away mid way through the game... awesome boss fight though at the end.

arts&crafts said:
I have a intel core2 duo e6400 which i plan on overclocking once I figure out how, and I just got a 5770 for christmas. I will be upgrading to 4gb ram in about a month once I can afford it.

Absolutely, though definitely get that chip clocked if you can. You do it through your motherboard's BIOS and its a piece of piss.

dasupremeone said:
I plugged in my PS3 Soul Calibur Hori Fighting Stick ex 2 to my win 7 pc and recognized it. The true test if SFIV will...

If it doesn't it doesn't really matter, just use xpadder to map it to the default keyboard layout and you're set.

Wallach

arts&crafts said:

What kind of RAM are you looking for? I have 4GB of XMS2 (DDR2 6400) in 4 x 1GB configuration. Looking to sell or trade on the cheap since it is not being used anymore.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Well I know the card runs hot, I just get a bit nervous when it hits 100C+ and my fan manager turns on the emergency 100% jet engine fan mode, that's all.
Yeah, I need to build a game machine. I just have the laptop. And it gets REAL hot.

And I have twice before killed laptops by playing 3D games on them. They used to put regular 3D chips in laptops . . . ate a lot of power but they did work. However, they generated so much heat and the laptop cooling is not that good such that they kill the laptop.

Now they have dedicated mobile 3D chips . . . but I don't really trust them. I play with the laptop literally on top of my lap . . . and it gets so hot that I have to stop because it hurts. I need to build a box because I don't want to kill my 3rd laptop. I previously swore I'd never play 3D games on a laptop again . . . . but here I am doing it again.

BuddhaRockstar said:

Sounds like its faulty to me, get it replaced under warranty would be my advice.

You could try setting up a more aggressive fan profile in the mean time.

Spy

I am really pissed off right now. My debit card is now getting declined and my credit card (which I've never even used before on Steam) is getting declined too. I tried making a new account and gifting to myself and an 'unexpected error occurred'.

I contacted Steam Support and I hope they resolve this today or I am going to be angry.

I probably should have asked this before buying it, but does anyone know whether MsterConfig v3.01 works with Steam Crysis? I wasn't all that impressed with the Crysis demo until I installed that, at which point I practically 'gasmed at every second of play and got about another 10FPS out of my modest e8400/HD4850 rig.

matrix-cat said:
I probably should have asked this before buying it, but does anyone know whether MsterConfig v3.01 works with Steam Crysis? I wasn't all that impressed with the Crysis demo until I installed that, at which point I practically 'gasmed at every second of play and got about another 10FPS out of my modest e8400/HD4850 rig.

All configs will work with all versions of the game.

ATF487

I am kind of hoping the next few days have awful deals, I'm spending way too much as it is. At this point, I'm basically stocking up on games so I can sell my consoles before I move.

In for SFIV today

I have 3 guest passes for Shattered Horizon. If anyone wants to try it out, please PM me with a link to your Steam Community page, so I may add you to my friend's list, or your email address.

Wallach said:
What kind of RAM are you looking for? I have 4GB of XMS2 (DDR2 6400) in 4 x 1GB configuration. Looking to sell or trade on the cheap since it is not being used anymore.

how much are you looking for? Ideally i would get 2g per slot so i could upgrade later but anything is better then my dismal 1gb now:lol

Costanza

Banned
Spy said:
I am really pissed off right now. My debit card is now getting declined and my credit card (which I've never even used before on Steam) is getting declined too. I tried making a new account and gifting to myself and an 'unexpected error occurred'.

I contacted Steam Support and I hope they resolve this today or I am going to be angry.
Try paypal. You're mistakenly flagged for "fraud". Paypal MIGHT still work.

Parham

Banned
I bought Shattered Horizon, Street Fighter 4, and Darwinia. I hope the quality of the sales start to decrease within the next few days, because my back log has grown exponentially since the sale began. :lol

And by the way, if anyone needs a guest past for Shattered Horizon, just PM me your email or SteamID.

mm04

Just loaded up SF4 and played it a little with my HRAP3-SA. So so sweet :D . It runs a tick under 60 FPS at times, but it looks and runs fantastic at 1680 x 1050 and my PC isn't great at all. Good stuff. Thanks Steam!

Edit: Also, the default controls once my system recognized my HRAP3 were exactly as they should be. I didn't have to custom assign any of the buttons at all.

Dipper145

Just got the Multiwinia/Darwinia pack. Always wanted to play these games.

I find it funny that Medevil 2: Total War is the same price it's been the whole sale, yet they try to pass it off as a daily deal.

BuddhaRockstar said:

Your card is definitely broked or the intakes on your pc case are sealed shut.
I have a an overclcoked 4850 / and the temperature has never gone over 60C.

fresquito

Street Fighter at 25% off pissed me off. At 75% off it's so bought. I don't care if SSFIV is coming down the road, at less than 10€ it's a steal.

Wallach

arts&crafts said:
how much are you looking for? Ideally i would get 2g per slot so i could upgrade later but anything is better then my dismal 1gb now:lol

Well, they aren't doing anything at the moment, so not much.

If you're sure the RAM is compatible with your setup (I think it would be)... well, I have been really good about not breaking my "1 game per daily deal" lately, and I already bought SF4. But I mean, if someone gifted say, Crysis Complete, I wouldn't really be breaking my rule at all, right?:lol

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Picked up Darwinia/Multiwinia, Crysis, and Shattered Horizon. And three more days of this. Steam has caused me to spend so much money this month.

Shattered Horizon bought. Someone once gave me a guest pass for this game so I could make sure it works on my PC. So in the spirit of that, anyone wants a guest pass, send a PM with your Steam ID.

Top Bottom