• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

kennah

speculawyer said:
Buy now and play them when you get around to upgrading. :D
I already did.... *hangs head in weak weak shame*

Sale thus far
Medieval II: Total War
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Shattered Horizon Four Pack
Crysis Complete (NA)
Prey
Battlefield 2
Red Faction Guerrilla
Torchlight
Braid
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Not counting gifting one copy of Torchlight and two copies of L4D.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well, We got about 3 or 4 more days of sales...still holding out for Trine to be 4.99!

I feel like I should have got Armoured Princess instead of Last Remnant.

Got a pass to Shattered Horizon. It's okay. I don't feel like buying another competitive multiplayer though. So it was an easy pass.

graywolf323

shintoki said:
Well, We got about 3 or 4 more days of sales...still holding out for Trine to be 4.99!

pretty sure it's only three, the sale runs through Sunday so that means Friday, Saturday and Sunday

and possibly a mid-week deal starting Tuesday but that would be after the sale ends

Salaadin said:
Thanks.

Ill learn to deal with it. Its not an issue right now but as this list grows, I think I might have issues.

Why? I have tons of games and it's not a problem... It's alphabetical.

I have one question, did peggle extreme delete off of anyone else's list? I don't see it on my game list anymore...

Proc

starting to second guess the sf4 purchase with super right around the corner...sh and medieval 2 for now.

edit: quick google says that its not out until spring. $10 seems alright then to play it now

JdFoX187

Banned
Well, outside of Batman: Arkham Asylum dropping below $20, which I doubt it, I think I'm done with this sale. Steam has raped my wallet. But, I've probably bought so many games that I'll never get around to playing all of them.

epmode

Fredescu said:
If I own Multiwinia, is there any point to buying Darwinia?
They're very different games. One is very single-player, the other is a multiplayer-focused game with a few AI skirmishes if you don't want to play online.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I have one question, did peggle extreme delete off of anyone else's list? I don't see it on my game list anymore...

Yeah, it is missing from mine as well. Not that I ever played it over normal Peggle or Peggle Nights, but that is strange that they would remove it.

Firestorm

JdFoX187 said:
Well, outside of Batman: Arkham Asylum dropping below $20, which I doubt it, I think I'm done with this sale. Steam has raped my wallet. But, I've probably bought so many games that I'll never get around to playing all of them.
Shoulda bought an nVidia coupon from someone =P They all expire at the end of today though so dunno who would still be selling it.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Yeah, it is missing from mine as well. Not that I ever played it over normal Peggle or Peggle Nights, but that is strange that they would remove it.

When you purchase the paid version of a game, the free version disappears. Same with Trackmania.

eznark

Banned
Best part about Shattered Horizons? You open the game and within 15 seconds you hit the server browser. No fucking around.

More games need this type of non-opening

Proc

alright, time to stop second guessing and go party.

grabbed sf4 and sh, let the record stand.

Empire total war just didn't impress me enough to give the series a second look. If they had the gold pack on for that price it'd be an instant buy.

Here's continued hope for a sale on borderlands!

Screaming_Gremlin said:
It's because Peggle Extreme was made free for everyone but they don't want to put it in everyone's games list. They should add a way to keep it in your uninstalled section though.

I had Shattered Horizon gifted to me and I was really impressed. There really isn't anything out there like it. I had a lot of fun playing with M.J. Doja. It's well worth the $5. I also ended up buying SF4 today.

eznark

Banned
Proc said:
alright, time to stop second guessing and go party.

grabbed sf4 and sh, let the record stand.

Empire total war just didn't impress me enough to give the series a second look. If they had the gold pack on for that price it'd be an instant buy.

Here's continued hope for a sale on borderlands!
Empire is the worst, by far, of the recent outings. Probably of all the Total War games.

LovingSteam said:
When you purchase the paid version of a game, the free version disappears. Same with Trackmania.
That doesn't apply to this situation though. Peggle Extreme has completely different levels from the full version. It was removed because Peggle Extreme became free for everyone.

Javaman said:
?

Got any more info about that? Sounds like great news!

Only what dLMN8R was able to find on the Steam forums. It's actual quotes from those Valve employees who work on the Steam application:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19087979&postcount=8173

They don't exactly say if they are going to add custom lists, but:

jmccaskey said:
We going to be improving the games list organization as part of a larger UI update in the future.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12797570&postcount=49

JdFoX187

Banned
I might end up biting on Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Never cared much for the multiplayer on the Xbox 360 version, so I'd double dip n a heartbeast. It's on sale through Sunday, right?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
graywolf323 said:
I just hope Fallout 3 GOTY shows up one of these last days since I missed out on the price error :-(
I'm losing hope friend. I'll be disappointed beyond words if it doesn't show up.

dani_dc

Metalic Sand said:
Will these deals last into tomorrow Jan 1st? Only way ill be able to pick up crysis pack.
Just check the counter in Steam site =p
They'll be up for the next 16 hours and 39minutes from this posts

K.Jack

Okay why the fuck is my credit card now being denied?! A game or two a day can't be enough to have a hold put on my account.

Zozobra said:
Correct, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Thought so, sadly that crashing thing when changing any settings is a Windows 7 problem :( Warhead and Wars work fine though. Usually when you change a setting, and it crashes, the next time you boot the setting should of saved.

Team Vernia said:
Steam download speeds are awful...

Settings->Downloads->Download Region->Select another region than the one that is currently selected. You can switch between regions until you are satisfied with your download speed. You have to remember to switch it back to your region after finishing the download, since the Download Region is used for obtaining server lists and matchmaking for any game that uses Steamworks.

Run #1- DX9 1280x720 AA=4x, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 37.705

is that about right with an 8800gt, core i7 920 @ 3.7ghz, and 6gb of ram? Feels a little low...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
K.Jack said:
I'm losing hope friend. I'll be disappointed beyond words if it doesn't show up.

Since FO3 was a pretty big title and it's only a year old, I'm betting they'll save it for the last day.

kamspy

D3D overrider is the opposite of work.

Install it, set it, forget it. It's the closest you will ever get to downloading a GPU upgrade.

SuperAwesome said:
Run #1- DX9 1280x720 AA=4x, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 37.705

is that about right with an 8800gt, core i7 920 @ 3.7ghz, and 6gb of ram? Feels a little low...

About right considering you have 4xAA. AA really kills performance in Crysis, i tend to be happy with the edge smoothing thing it has going on in High anyway.

K.Jack

crimsonheadGCN said:
Settings->Downloads->Download Region->Select another region than the one that is currently selected. You can switch between regions until you are satisfied with your download speed. You have to remember to switch it back to your region after finishing the download, since the Download Region is used for obtaining server lists and matchmaking for any game that uses Steamworks.
The region changing never works for me. If I choose any server other than 'US-Chicago' (I'm in NE Ohio), I'll be pulling double digit KB/s.

What countries tend to yield the best results for those in the US?

I have a 12 Mbps connection, and Steam is pushing me towards the 18 Mb plan.

Druz

SuperAwesome said:

8800gt is your problem

Top Bottom