• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Sagitario

I got Mirror's Edge as a gift and I can't even load the freaking menu... :lol

I've a 2 years old laptop [AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.60 GHz with a Nvidia GeForce Go 6150], is it really that bad for the menu? I was willing to play the game on 640x480 :lol ...

That's the reason I didn't even try to get other games (I really wanted the Orange Box)...

Owzers

I should have bought Stalker but i wasn't thinking about the FUTURE of my gaming, just the now. So short sighted!

Anyways, so far the tally is:

Civ 4 Collection
Jade Empire - despite already playing the xbox version
Darwinia/Multiwinia bundle
Osmos
Defense Grid
Torchlight
Rome Total War

Basically things that can run on my laptop.

Metalic Sand said:
Isnt the support for Shattered Horizon suppose to be TF2 style with continued free updates?

Yes, the developers have said that they'll provide free updates and they have shown that they do communicate well with the community so far.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Farore said:

I've a 2 years old laptop [AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.60 GHz with a Nvidia GeForce Go 6150], is it really that bad for the menu? I was willing to play the game on 640x480 :lol ...

That's the reason I didn't even try to get other games (I really wanted the Orange Box)...
Processor: 3.0 GHz or faster
Graphics: Microsoft DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required. Video card must have 256 MB or more, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better

You're almost there!
Not really...

brandonh83 said:
I haven't played much of KOTOR, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Would I think it's too outdated? Not that I would lose much, its $5, but I don't plan on spending a whole lot on the sale. Just trying to figure out of its worth it.
It's one of my most favorite games ever. Probably #1. must play for any star wars fan

chixdiggit

graywolf323 said:
wonder if Steam is suddenly having problems with credit cards?

anyone actually had their's work just in the past 30 minutes or so?

I have not been able to purchase anything today. I have been going through Steam support and they told me "Your transaction has been flagged by our fraud prevention system"
I'm hoping it all gets sorted out before the Crysis deal is up.

Raw64life

A Steam noob question even though I've had Steam for a few years now. If you want to uninstall a game but keep the save files and stuff does just clicking on delete local content accomplish that?

Sagitario

Lyphen said:
Processor: 3.0 GHz or faster
Graphics: Microsoft DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required. Video card must have 256 MB or more, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better

You're almost there!
Not really...

:(

Well, maybe next year I'll get a better laptop =\ ...
Mirror's Edge will remain unplayed until then (it was a gift anyway) :( ...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So how is Shattered Horizon? And any idea how it would run on a [Athlon II X3 435, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5750 1GB]?

Farore said:
:(

Well, maybe next year I'll get a better laptop =\ ...
Mirror's Edge will remain unplayed until then (it was a gift anyway) :( ...
Skip the laptop, get a good desktop. It'll be cheaper, upgradeable, and better.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Farore said:

You should be able to run Orange Box. Valve is very good about making their games playable even with weaker hardware. I mean, your specs don't seem all that worse than mine yet I can manage Orange Box and a variety of other games. At the very least, Half Life 2 should work.

Spy

Lyphen said:
So how is Shattered Horizon? And any idea how it would run on a [Athlon II X3 435, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5750 1GB]?

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a guest pass.

finally get to see what Crysis is all about. couldn't resist Shattered Horizon 4 pack at that price either, time to force some copies upon friends. :lol

only got 2 gift copies to give out though, gonna have to ticket that

Brannon

Spy said:
I don't have any games installed. :lol That's a newly created Steam account in preparation for the PC I'm going to build.

Should I buy STALKER.

Oh god yes.

And now that there is an opening... I was exploring under the tunnels in the Agroprom Research center when.. Holy fuck. I can't spoil it. It was the most fucked up... crap.

Dunlop

These sales will be the death of me, I'm about to hit my d/l cap with my ISP. Which version of Crysis should I start with? I'll download the other next week

Brannon

Lyphen said:

Your setup is better than mine, I think, so it should definitely run smoothly.

Parham

Banned
neoism said:
guys does the 360 pc pad work good for Crysis?

Yes

Dunlop said:
These sales will be the death of me, I'm about to hit my d/l cap with my ISP. Which version of Crysis should I start with? I'll download the other next week

Start with the original Crysis.

Wark

I really wanna get Shattered Horizon, but unfortunately I only have Windows XP. :/ Time for me to upgrade to Windows 7 soon.

Scipius

Brannon said:
Oh god yes.

And now that there is an opening... I was exploring under the tunnels in the Agroprom Research center when.. Holy fuck. I can't spoil it. It was the most fucked up... crap.

I always insist a first time STALKER player at least finishes the Agroprom underground before deciding if he likes the game or not.

Because there's more of this...

Shattered Horizon... woah, a game where my computer is basically at the minimum requirements? It took several years but there finally is one with actual high requirements... considering the state of the PC gaming industry right now though, who knows when the next one will be... But still, it's awesome to see a PC game that actually pushes the hardware. It's very sad that there are so few of those these days. I should get it. :)

Plus I like stuff like Descent, games with jetpacks, Unreal Tournament level with low gravity... I normally don't like online FPSes, but it sounds a little interesting at least.

I haven't bought too much in this sale, But I did get Medieval II ($5), Jade Empire ($3.50), Evil Genius ($2), and Outrun 2006 ($2.50). I'm really considering getting Shattered Horizon and perhaps Street Fighter IV (if there's not going to be a PC version of SSFIV soon, it's worth it... otherwise probably not... but that seems unlikely I guess.), though...

Wark

I honestly can't wait for this sale to end. I keep impulse buying game after game -- although there are still a few games I do wanna purchase before the sales end. :lol

Truespeed

Thanks to spy for the Shattered Horizon pass. Who would have thunk a weightless FPS could be so much fun. Is there an group buy still available?

Sagitario

Lyphen said:

If I get enough room, I'll definitely get a desktop (or maybe both if there is money :p)...

grandjedi6 said:
You should be able to run Orange Box. Valve is very good about making their games playable even with weaker hardware. I mean, your specs don't seem all that worse than mine yet I can manage Orange Box and a variety of other games. At the very least, Half Life 2 should work.

I wish I had know that before the sale was over :(

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How well can i expect STALKER to run on a q8200 and a 4850 with 4GB RAM?

I just bought the Crysis pack earlier today and am waiting for it to d/l and install....

as far as settings go, what should I expect to run this game at?

Q6600
8800GT
4 GB DDR2

Owzers

Wark said:
I honestly can't wait for this sale to end. I keep impulse buying game after game -- although there are still a few games I do wanna purchase before the sales end. :lol

only 3 days left :( I'm loving this sale.

Wark

I just purchased Titan Quest Gold (Titan Quest and Titan Quest: Immortal Throne) and I'm installing it now. Torchlight is making me crave Diablo and I guess Titan Quest is probably the next best thing. If anyone wants to play Titan Quest with me later on then add me to your Steam account.

You now own Audiosurf.
You now own Unreal II: The Awakening, Unreal Tournament 3 Black, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Gold.
You now own Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis Wars.
You now own Street Fighter IV.

$40. Are you kidding me???? STEAM I LOVE YOU! :D

Vaporak

Loving the steam sale this year. So far for $40 I've picked up: Torchlight, Shattered Horizons, Dead Space, Kings Bounty: Armored Princess, and The Void. I'm still hoping for a sale on Batman and Risen; hopefully the last few days will have some nice sales. :D

Top Bottom