• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Ogs said:
About right considering you have 4xAA. AA really kills performance in Crysis, i tend to be happy with the edge smoothing thing it has going on in High anyway.

Run #1- DX9 1280x720 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 50.095

Seems right based on what you said.

---
Haha, I know. Need a new gpu, going to wait until the 5850 go back to the normal msrp before upgrading.

graywolf323

wonder if Steam is suddenly having problems with credit cards?

anyone actually had their's work just in the past 30 minutes or so?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
K.Jack said:
The region changing never works for me. If I choose any server other than 'US-Chicago' (I'm in NE Ohio), I'll be pulling double digit KB/s.

What countries tend to yield the best results for those in the US?

I have a 12 Mbps connection, and Steam is pushing me towards the 18 Mb plan.

Iceland + Greenland gives me good speeds.

Manp

graywolf323 said:
wonder if Steam is suddenly having problems with credit cards?

anyone actually had their's work just in the past 30 minutes or so?

just purchased SF4 and HL:Source minutes ago

:)

K.Jack said:
The region changing never works for me. If I choose any server other than 'US-Chicago' (I'm in NE Ohio), I'll be pulling double digit KB/s.

What countries tend to yield the best results for those in the US?

I have a 12 Mbps connection, and Steam is pushing me towards the 18 Mb plan.

I've mainly used Iceland & Greenland, France, and Poland content servers when my local content server is giving me awful speeds. My local content server is in New York. I generally get the maximum download speed for my connection, which is about 350KB/s.

Mareg

I've been trying 9 times in the last hour to buy Crysis pack + SF4 + Medieval II and my credit card gets declined every time. I have never had this type of problem before today.

Using Visa between.

zugzug

eznark said:
Empire is the worst, by far, of the recent outings. Probably of all the Total War games.

Truth, and I prebought the specifal forces edition on steam...total sadness.

Hesistant to start thinking about Napelon Total War purchase, but sadly......

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Yeah, it is missing from mine as well. Not that I ever played it over normal Peggle or Peggle Nights, but that is strange that they would remove it.

You can still download it by searching in the store for it but I don't like it no longer being on the list.

I haven't played much of KOTOR, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Would I think it's too outdated? Not that I would lose much, its $5, but I don't plan on spending a whole lot on the sale. Just trying to figure out of its worth it.

Help me out guys, Im pretty burnt out on FPS games, but im eyeing that crysis pack.
Shattered horizon looooks awwwwesome!!!!

and darwinia looks cool too, do any of these have steam achievments?? im kind lookin for a game like that too.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Help me out guys, Im pretty burnt out on FPS games, but im eyeing that crysis pack.

and darwinia looks cool too, do any of these have steam achievments?? im kind lookin for a game like that too.

Neither Crysis or Crysis Warhead is a Steamworks game, so neither of them have Steam achievements.

Shattered Horizon is a Steamworks game, but does not support Steam achievements. It is possible that they will add some later though.

Darwinia isn't a Steamworks game, but Multiwinia is a Steamworks game. Darwinia doesn't support Steam achievements, but Multiwinia supports it.

TrAcEr_x90 said:

Shattered Horizon is a great game, provided there's people playing it. Hopefully this sale will attract a crowd, but when I last played it there were only a couple populated servers.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I ended up using Paypal for Crysis and it went smoothly. Funny, since it's based off of the same account information that's being declined.
Iadien said:
Iceland + Greenland gives me good speeds.
crimsonheadGCN said:
I've mainly used Iceland & Greenland...
Thanks, I'll try that server.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Ok. For SURE I've bought the Crysis pack. Now I'm going to have to build a gaming PC to play all the stuff I've bought. :lol

High five dude!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
Visa and Mastercard think Steam is scamming us =(
The problem is not the credit cards; the problem is Steam itself. The system can't handle the workload and is generating errors and false positives at random.

i just got plants vs zombies, everything is so cheap!!!

thanks for the input. Im thinkin of buying shattered horizon for me and a friend. aaaaand maybe multiwinia. is that just an expansion?

Spy

23rscwy.jpg

You know what the best part about all of this is? I haven't built my gaming PC yet.

Scipius

Spy said:
http://i48.tinypic.com/23rscwy.jpg

You know what the best part about all of this is? I haven't built my gaming PC yet.

I'm not seeing STALKER in that list. Please tell me you have it installed.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Settings->Downloads->Download Region->Select another region than the one that is currently selected. You can switch between regions until you are satisfied with your download speed. You have to remember to switch it back to your region after finishing the download, since the Download Region is used for obtaining server lists and matchmaking for any game that uses Steamworks.

Thanks for the help.

Spy

Scipius said:
I'm not seeing STALKER in that list. Please tell me you have it installed.
I don't have any games installed. :lol That's a newly created Steam account in preparation for the PC I'm going to build.

Should I buy STALKER.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Spy said:
I don't have any games installed. :lol That's a newly created Steam account in preparation for the PC I'm going to build.

Should I buy STALKER.

YES!

zbarron

eznark said:
Best part about Shattered Horizons? You open the game and within 15 seconds you hit the server browser. No fucking around.

More games need this type of non-opening
Torchlight is like that too. From the moment the game opens, less than 30 seconds pass before I can control my character.

Stumpokapow said:
Mine failed. Then it failed a second time. Then I tried a second card and that failed. Then I tried my girlfriend's card and that failed. My first card was VISA, my second card was MasterCard, and girlfriend's was MasterCard.

Mareg said:
I've been trying 9 times in the last hour to buy Crysis pack + SF4 + Medieval II and my credit card gets declined every time. I have never had this type of problem before today.

Using Visa between.

So it wasn't just me. I had two cards declined again and again and they both were in good standings. One was Mastercard and the other was Visa. I must have tried like 6 times between the two cards. It took a different third card (another Mastercard) for it to be finally accepted.

WTF?

ATF487

Shattered Horizon is pretty cool, but I keep getting disconnected after only a minute or two, and my computer only runs it if everything is on low :lol

HomerSimpson-Man said:
So it wasn't just me. I had two cards declined again and again and they both were in good standings. One was Mastercard and the other was Visa. I must have tried like 6 times between the two cards. It took a different third card (another Mastercard) for it to be finally accepted.

WTF?
Yea, I had a few issues. Tried again about 30 minutes later and it worked just fine.

Wallach

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I would buy stalker if it had achievments

To borrow a good idea from a great comedian...

I'm not going to have my hands type anything else to you, because I need my whole body to hate you right now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
HomerSimpson-Man said:

WTF?
Well apparently the authorization system konked out there for a bit but the system's been having these problems for the last few days.

Aesius

So far I've bought Crysis Maximum Edition, Half-Life Source, Torchlight, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Prey. All for like $25.

Between this, PCSX2/Dolphin emulator, and my backlog of Xbox 360 games.....shit. I probably won't get started on the 2010 releases until 2011.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone have a guest pass for Shattered Horizon? Not sure if i want to buy it...

Im thinking

Crysis pack + horizons atm.

Isnt the support for Shattered Horizon suppose to be TF2 style with continued free updates?

Aesius said:
So far I've bought Crysis Maximum Edition, Half-Life Source, Torchlight, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Prey. All for like $25.

Between this, PCSX2/Dolphin emulator, and my backlog of Xbox 360 games.....shit. I probably won't get started on the 2010 releases until 2011.

Welcome to my gaming life. I've been backlogged on PS2 games since the start of this generation, and it only grew worse with the newer systems. Bad note, it'll take a long time to finally get through these games in a timely manner, good note, never having to pay full price for a game release again because I'll always have something to keep me busy.

Top Bottom