• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

iammeiam

For the people having CC declined issues: Have you tried checking out with a Paypal account (assuming you have one)? It might circumvent whatever odd load issues Steam is experiencing causing the CC processing issues.

Just used it to buy the Darwinia collection deal; I am now suffering from Too Many Good Choices. Impossible to settle on just one!

JdFoX187 said:
I might end up biting on Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Never cared much for the multiplayer on the Xbox 360 version, so I'd double dip n a heartbeast. It's on sale through Sunday, right?
I picked it up. I hooked up the 360 controller and have been playing on the 1080p HDTV. It works great and is pretty fun. I'm surprised it didn't get rated higher.

It is great if you really liked the movie since they got most of the real actors to do voices . . . all the ghostbusters, annie pots, William Atherton (Dickless), etc.

Spy

iammeiam said:
For the people having CC declined issues: Have you tried checking out with a Paypal account (assuming you have one)? It might circumvent whatever odd load issues Steam is experiencing causing the CC processing issues.

Just used it to buy the Darwinia collection deal; I am now suffering from Too Many Good Choices. Impossible to settle on just one!
I tried Paypal with my main account and it didn't work. What did work though was making a new account and paying via paypal then gifting to myself.

K.Jack said:
Okay why the fuck is my credit card now being denied?! A game or two a day can't be enough to have a hold put on my account.
Jeez, they are locking out lots of people. Your credit card may be fine, they sometimes just lock people out for unknown reasons . . . too many purchases? A couple of failed purchases in a row?

If you need to get something, you can paypal me and I'll get it and gift it to you. I've done that like 5 times today. I'm sticking to paypal since I'm worried my credit card's fraud system may kick in with all these purchases . . . and then when the credit card fails then Steam locks you out. That may be what happened to you.

Truespeed

Well, I made the call and picked up the Crysis pack (I promise this is my last SecuROM game - really), Street Fighter IV and Shattered Horizon. I have 3 guest passes for Shattered Horizon so if you want one, just PM me.

Mareg said:
I've been trying 9 times in the last hour to buy Crysis pack + SF4 + Medieval II and my credit card gets declined every time. I have never had this type of problem before today.

Using Visa between.
Every time you try & fail, It makes the situation worse I think. Here is a response I got from Steam when I got locked out a few days ago:

Steam Support said:
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.
I have removed the lock on your account. Due to the risk of fraud our billing system is automated, and will put a lock on any account that fails authorization at any point during the verification process. We do apologize for the inconvienience this may cause, but appreciate your patience in the issue.

Your account is currently on an alert status due to the excessive failed purchase attempts. Any unsuccessful purchase attempts will cause your account to be locked again. Your account will automatically be removed from the alert list after a while, each time you make a new purchase it will extend the alert period.

If this issue requires further investigation, please reply to this message within seven days via e-mail or re-open this case by logging into the Steam Support Site to receive an expedited response.

It might have been said before, I don´t know since I´ve just got home from from a pretty lame new years eve, but its ridiculous that SEGA hasnt a sale on M2:TW - Kingdoms, and that Crysis still uses SecuRom. I might have hold of any buys because of that.

Salacious Crumb

I bought every one of today's deals except half life: source cause I already own it. Ive bought 58 games total over the last few days, but I've still spent less than the RRP of 2 retail games in Australia.

ktulu

Neo Member
if some kind soul in australia could gift me stalker that would be super :)
of course i'd be more than happy to gift you something of similar value.
hit me up on steam if you wanna work something out @ tekpriest_ktulu

EDIT: shout out to truespeed for the gift! thanks!

Dambrosi

Banned
So, up to now:

STALKER
TGP/BTDT Bundle
Sniper Elite
Lumines w/Advanced Pack
Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete
Torchlight
Bioshock
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
and tonight, Street Fighter 4 (OMG such an awesome port)

Still waiting on The Witcher and Mass Effect.

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but Titan Quest Gold is now £4.99 (US$7.49). I could have sworn it used to be £12 or thereabouts, so this is a stealth reduction? Who cares - if you like Torchlight AT ALL, you owe it to yourselves to buy it at this price! I know I will if tomorrow's Dailies are quiet...

Firestorm

Ah what the hell. I haven't even tried it, but if someone is doing a group buy on Shattered Horizons, I'll get in on it. Will PayPal you the $3.75 USD.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
ktulu said:
if some kind soul in australia could gift me stalker that would be super :)
of course i'd be more than happy to gift you something of similar value.
hit me up on steam if you wanna work something out @ tekpriest_ktulu

EDIT: shout out to truespeed for the gift! thanks!

Ah i just added you to friends to gift it to you. But upon hitting reply, it seems like someone has beaten me to it.

nevermind :D

Wark

Dambrosi said:
Still waiting on The Witcher and Mass Effect.

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but Titan Quest Gold is now £4.99 (US$7.49). I could have sworn it used to be £12 or thereabouts, so this is a stealth reduction? Who cares - if you like Torchlight AT ALL, you owe it to yourselves to buy it at this price! I know I will if tomorrow's Dailies are quiet...

I'm still waiting for Mass Effect to drop in price too. Luckily I picked up The Witcher when it was $13.59. Also, I picked up Titan Quest Gold an hour or two ago at $10. Add me to your list of you wanna play it later.

Wark said:
I'm still waiting for Mass Effect to drop in price too. Luckily I picked up The Witcher when it was $13.59.
Witcher is still $13 until the 3rd.

I'm willing to bet they'll have a daily deal for it before the end.
~$9.99 maybe.

Dambrosi

Banned
Wark said:
I'm still waiting for Mass Effect to drop in price too. Luckily I picked up The Witcher when it was $13.59. Also, I picked up Titan Quest Gold an hour or two ago at $10. Add me to your list of you wanna play it later.
Thanks for the invitation, but I haven't actually bought it yet...:lol Maybe tomorrow? Do you mind if I add you anyway?

Wark

Dambrosi said:
Thanks for the invitation, but I haven't actually bought it yet...:lol Maybe tomorrow? Do you mind if I add you anyway?

Sure. I'm sure we can always find another game to play if you don't get Titan Quest.

Dambrosi

Banned
Javaman said:
Freaking sweet. Crysis runs silky smooth at 1680x with medium gfx on my craptastic cpu/9800gt
How "craptastic" are we talking here? Mine's an Athlon 64 x2 5000+, is why I'm asking.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
bengraven said:
Thank God there are only a couple more days left.
Amen!

I know it is quite common to see "Damn you Steam! I'm going broke!" but for the first time I think Steam might break me! :(

Well at least I won't have to worry about buying games for the next year or so.

DenogginizerOS said:
Bought SFIV and Crysis. Unfortunately, I cannot get my Madcatz PS3 TE SFIV Arcade Stick to work on my CPU. Bummer.

get a cheap USB card with an intel or via chipset. i'd be willing to bet you have an ati/amd/nvidia chipset. the ps3 TE uses some stupid usb 2.1 standard connection that needs via/intel.

Jube3

DenogginizerOS said:
Bought SFIV and Crysis. Unfortunately, I cannot get my Madcatz PS3 TE SFIV Arcade Stick to work on my CPU. Bummer.

What problems are you having with the TE? Your PC/Mac just not reading it?
EDIT: NM Crash had a better reply :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
CrashPrime said:
get a cheap USB card with an intel or via chipset. i'd be willing to bet you have an ati/amd/nvidia chipset. the ps3 TE uses some stupid usb 2.1 standard connection that needs via/intel.
I have an i5 Intel Chipset. I was pretty sure that I would be ok.

Jube3 said:
What problems are you having with the TE? Your PC/Mac just not reading it?
EDIT: NM Crash had a better reply :D
When I plug it in, my CPU says it is installing drivers correctly, however when I go to the screen where I can calibrate and check inputs, it shows nothing as far as responsiveness.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just bought shattered horizons after i got a guest pass :D

Such a fun game!

I have 2 shattered horizon guest passes to give out. Just lemme know if you want one. first 2 people...

Enk

makes good threads.
Snagged SFIV but won't be able to play it until I get a new PC early next year. I'll probably break down and get the Crysis collection too.

DenogginizerOS said:
When I plug it in, my CPU says it is installing drivers correctly, however when I go to the screen where I can calibrate and check inputs, it shows nothing as far as responsiveness.

Have you started SFIV and gone to "controller setting" and see if its detected there or are you doing this in the windows control panel?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Have you started SFIV and gone to "controller setting" and see if its detected there or are you doing this in the windows control panel?
It comes up as a custom setting there. But when I try to navigate the windows, it doesn't do anything.

Javaman

Firehead said:
Any idea how it will run on my horrible cpu and 8600GT? ):

Dambrosi said:
How "craptastic" are we talking here? Mine's an Athlon 64 x2 5000+, is why I'm asking.

I spoke a bit too soon. Once the game opens up into the bay area the framerate takes a hit. I'd say I'm getting roughly 15fps or so with the Athlon 64 3000+. During the beginning it's silky though.

Metalic Sand said:
Just bought shattered horizons after i got a guest pass :D

Such a fun game!

I have 2 shattered horizon guest passes to give out. Just lemme know if you want one. first 2 people...
I'll snag one up, Steam ID is also AmICoolYet

Javaman said:
I spoke a bit too soon. Once the game opens up into the bay area the framerate takes a hit. I'd say I'm getting roughly 15fps or so with the Athlon 64 3000+. During the beginning it's silky though.

That spot and 2 spots in the next level (the beginning and a village) are the 3 most demanding spots in the game. There will be other places during the game where your framerate will take a hit, but overall you should be playing in between 20 - 30 fps for most of the game. Definitely playable framerates for Crysis.

Fireblend

Banned
So far I've got:

Torchlight
Bioshock
Osmos
SF IV
Shattered Horizons

...that coupled with Mirror's Edge and The Secret of Monkey Island which I got on the black friday sales, makes Steam the new owner of my foreseeable gaming future :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
fatty said:
I know this isn't a Steam deal but just wanted to remind everyone that the Immortal Defense promotion is about up so get it while there is a bit of time left. I paid $3 for it back for a different promotion and it was definitely worth it. It's an Indy Tower Defense game and I can say I've enjoyed it more than World of Goo, Osmos, Cogs and Droplitz (other similarly priced Indy games). And it's right up there with Defense Grid as a TD game.

Immortal Defense Pay What You Want Sale
It's definitely worth at least 3 duckets. Maybe even a five or a tenner. I've been playing it all night.

I'm having a problem with Steam so I might as well ask it here...

my overlay isn't working for a non-Steam game. Like I don't see the notice in the bottom right saying I can press Shift+Tab to pull it up. And pressing Shift+Tab does nothing. It works fines for other games (non-Steam ones also) so I'm not sure what's wrong.

The game is RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 by the way. Maybe the overlay only works with more recent games?

It's not that big of a deal but it's annoying to Alt+Tab instead.

Firehead

LovingSteam said:
Since the sale has been on for more than a week let's show our Steam - penis. How many games do you now have?
Steam says 202, Steam calculator says 183. I've almost doubled my owned games on Steam.

Top Bottom