• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

ezekial45

Banned
You could just make a steam account anyway. You can buy the games you want now and wait till you have a good enough pc to play them. All the game you purchase are tied to your account.

If you have a Mac, the Bootcamp is your friend. AND you can purchase games with the HORRIBLE ease of using the website.

Looking at my games list, I've been pretty light on games from the Holiday sale:
Borderlands,
Crysis Bundle,
Half-life: Source,
and I think, Osmos.

I can't remember what I got during Black Friday and what I got this week. :lol

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
A Steam noob question even though I've had Steam for a few years now. If you want to uninstall a game but keep the save files and stuff does just clicking on delete local content accomplish that?

Anybody?

LovingSteam said:
Since the sale has been on for more than a week let's show our Steam - penis. How many games do you now have?

GTA 4
Crysis Maximum Edition

:lol

If I would have had the money I could have spent $150 easy though. And never would have spent more then $14 on a single game.

EDIT: Not sure Raw64life. but all you have to do is locate the save files and make a copy of them before you uninstall.

I <3 Memes said:
GTA 4
Crysis Maximum Edition

:lol

If I would have had the money I could have spent $150 easy though. And never would have spent more then $14 on a single game.

EDIT: Not sure Raw64life. but all you have to do is locate the save files and make a copy of them before you uninstall.
Hopefully Valve will supply a nice new years with a ME deal :)

Twig

Banned
I bought Crysis even though it was over ten bucks. I've been waiting for it to drop for a long time.

Yay. :3

pilonv1

Boo-urns for EA for Crysis being $7 more in the Australian store.

Waiting out Batman AA for the daily deal, if it's not there by the 3rd I'll probably bite on the Eidos pack.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shattered Horizon is badass. Controls took surprisingly no time to get used to, and I've never had a DM experience like it.

Sniper Rifle recoil in space = deadly stuff!

Javaman

I <3 Memes said:
That spot and 2 spots in the next level (the beginning and a village) are the 3 most demanding spots in the game. There will be other places during the game where your framerate will take a hit, but overall you should be playing in between 20 - 30 fps for most of the game. Definitely playable framerates for Crysis.

Good to know. I bet it was a cinematic decision to put that huge open area there, to introduce people to what the engine can do early in the game.

LovingSteam said:
Since the sale has been on for more than a week let's show our Steam - penis. How many games do you now have?

I'm such a steam slut and am already up to 226 games. Almost all of them I've gotten on sale on the cheap, so I'd say an average of $600 or so.

Javaman said:
Good to know. I bet it was a cinematic decision to put that huge open area there, to introduce people to what the engine can do early in the game.

I felt the same way. It's a nice opportunity for them to show off the engine at sunrise and give players an idea for how they are going to be able to run the game at it's most demanding. At the same time it introduces the player to the feel of the combat within the open environments after they have already had the chance to learn the basics of combat in the section just before it.

+1 Recommendation for Shattered Horizon. I just played a game that was back and forth the whole time. It was gaming bliss. Snagged the #1 points spot at the last second due to a kill just before the end game screen came up.

I give it a 8.75/10. Points deducted for not having real astronauts in the voice chatter speak space jargon and lack of ragdoll physics (they do the superman instead :/)

ElectricBlue187 said:
+1 Recommendation for Shattered Horizon. I just played a game that was back and forth the whole time. It was gaming bliss. Snagged the #1 points spot at the last second due to a kill just before the end game screen came up.

I give it a 8.75/10. Points deducted for not having real astronauts in the voice chatter speak space jargon and lack of ragdoll physics (they do the superman instead :/)

I'm watching the gameplay footage and while I'm intrigued by the game ...just knowing that it's multiplayer only and that I would get rocked means it's a pass for me sadly.

On a side note, anyone else think that a Gundam or Macross mod would be perfect for this game?

Jube3

Lyphen said:
Shattered Horizon is badass. Controls took surprisingly no time to get used to, and I've never had a DM experience like it.

Sniper Rifle recoil in space = deadly stuff!

Thanks to Costanza I played this and bought it one game earlier. WTF I can not believe I have not played this before, so good and such a unique DM game.flying in the air and emp grenades all with earth as a backdrop...if anyone needs a guest pass let me know because you HAVE to check this out, very cool game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My initial impression of Shattered Horizons was ruined by the awful as shit performance. I maxed everything out and was averaging 15 fps in the first round I tried. Then I turned off all AA, SSAO, and set all stuff that was at highest to just high. Somehow that lowered my framerate to 7-10 fps.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
I have two passes of both Killing Floor and Shattered Horizon if anyone wants them.

SteamID: Xclash

It's important to remap your keys if you're going to play SH. The default is atrocious. I changed roll left and right to Q and E, changed sniper to RMB and fire grenade to Mouse button 3. If I had another mouse button I'd change melee too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Turn the graphics down on SH, it doesn't make a big difference in the way it looks, but it runs much better.

I run it on "balanced" settings and it runs just fine and looks good.

Zzoram said:
Mass Effect in 9 hours please.

and Force Unleashed god damn it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Killing Floor is still in the top 20 a day after, and was in the top 10 I believe the day the sales started. Which is absolutely awesome <3

I noticed the servers also got packed allot more thanks to it with people who can't pull off head shots nor trail the mobs. :lol

Anyways, I've added 13 titles to my collection so far from this Holiday sale for a bit more than 40$.

Looks like I'll have to give up on Crysis because of these credit card issues. Nothing I try is working. I made another account to gift myself it but that didn't get so far either. Oh well.

Ok since this is only a few hours into the new year and I am tired and bored and lack good judgment at the moment. I am going to name drop the good old games sale. All of their games are discounted to pretty much $3 or $5, these games can be considered nostalgic pretty much because they are that old but GOG put them up for sale again through their service and supposedly fixed them up to run on modern hardware/OS.

Sloegr

Gin said:
is this bs or true? i want to get this bad.. but waiting for a nice discount.

Neither, he's just hoping it will be on sale. I'll be surprised if it isn't a $5 daily deal before the sale is over.

Darkman M

Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address.

edit: weird it worked for me through the steam program, but not when i try to purchase it from the store.steampowered

Firestorm

Gin said:
is this bs or true? i want to get this bad.. but waiting for a nice discount.
There has been an EA deal every day of this sale. I'm sure it's coming. Mass Effect has been on discount for $10 a few times already iirc.

Nabs

Scalpel Knight said:
Looks like I'll have to give up on Crysis because of these credit card issues. Nothing I try is working. I made another account to gift myself it but that didn't get so far either. Oh well.
did you try doing it from your browser (steampowered.com). i know i'm posting this a lot, but it really helped me out

Twig

Banned
What is the problem exactly? EDIT: Just checked back a couple pages.

My debit card was declined once, but only two sales ago when I tried to order right as the sales went up. When I waited a bit, it was accepted.

In other words I have nothing helpful to suggest. x:

So Far:

Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Half Life Source
Max Payne
Resident Evil 5
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Crysis
Street Fighter IV
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Defence Alliance 2
Killing Floor
Indigo Prophecy

Will get Zeno Clash and Trine by end of sale too.

Smash88

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
So Far:

Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Half Life Source
Max Payne
Resident Evil 5
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Crysis
Street Fighter IV
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Defence Alliance 2
Killing Floor
Indigo Prophecy

Will get Zeno Clash and Trine by end of sale too.

Wow, you've got some backlog :p

Also Defence Alliance 2 is a mod.

confused

Banned
I've been waiting for Crysis, but I'm gonna have to pass. I can't allow myself to pay 20+ euros while the US price isn't even 10 euros.

Red Scarlet

I got 3 games (4 if you count L4D2 as an early one) this past week/for Christmas and no idea when I'm going to play them. I tried the first one I got (Machinarium) and it auto-exited after about 2 minutes. I bought myself a game but it won't run very well (Mirror's Edge). Hope I don't have to wait until I get another new computer to play the stuff I was given. :/

Smash88 said:
Wow, you've got some backlog :p

Also Defence Alliance 2 is a mod.
Yeah I was just listing off of my steam list. Then I also have Mass Effect (5 dollar D2D sale)...

Not a bad problem to have I suppose. I'm making the most of my recent PC upgrades!

Top Bottom