• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Dynoro

Red Scarlet said:
I got 3 games (4 if you count L4D2 as an early one) this past week/for Christmas and no idea when I'm going to play them. I tried the first one I got (Machinarium) and it auto-exited after about 2 minutes. I bought myself a game but it won't run very well (Mirror's Edge). Hope I don't have to wait until I get another new computer to play the stuff I was given. :/
If its any help; Mirrors Edge ran shockingly on my pc until I realised it had Physx on by default. Once I turned that off the game ran smooth as anything

Salacious Crumb

My list so far.

GTA IV
Unreal pack
Chronicles of Riddick
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Outrun 2006
Painkiller
Torchlight
Eidos Collectors Pack
Dead Space
Ghostbusters
Burnout Paradise
Killing Floor
Bioshock
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Civ IV complete
Osmos
Max Payne Bundle
Street Fighter IV
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Shattered Horizon
Crysis Complete
Medieval II

Red Scarlet

Dynoro said:
If its any help; Mirrors Edge ran shockingly on my pc until I realised it had Physx on by default. Once I turned that off the game ran smooth as anything

That was off by default. I get about 12-17 FPS, strangely I get the higher FPS on the higher video settings.

Xapati

Red Scarlet said:
I got 3 games (4 if you count L4D2 as an early one) this past week/for Christmas and no idea when I'm going to play them. I tried the first one I got (Machinarium) and it auto-exited after about 2 minutes. I bought myself a game but it won't run very well (Mirror's Edge). Hope I don't have to wait until I get another new computer to play the stuff I was given. :/

I've also bought a few games that didn't run well on my machine. A "return" feature would be nice, let's say you get 6 hours after you first installed the game to return it. This time limit would prevent people from renting games for free yet it would allow you to return games that don't work / you didn't like.

Been mightily tempted by the holiday sale but so far I've only bought Crysis max edition. Off course this is offset by me dropping $265 for a 5850...

TheExodu5

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
That was off by default. I get about 12-17 FPS, strangely I get the higher FPS on the higher video settings.

You're running on a 7600GT/GS, right? Probably a little underpowered for a recent title.

Naked Snake said:
This makes me wish I had a new PC and a Steam account. I can't believe those prices!

You don't need a "new pc" to take advantage of these offers. There's been a whole bunch of offers that are perfect for lesser rigs.

Sloegr

Red Scarlet said:

At least you can play Machinarium with the computer you have. Mirror's Edge at under 20 fps does not sound appealing.

Red Scarlet

TheExodu5 said:
You're running on a 7600GT/GS, right? Probably a little underpowered for a recent title.

Well, it plays L4D1 and 2 fine, which are probably newer than the games I got, aside from ME. I think ME kind of scared me into trying out the stuff until I upgrade since it doesn't run well at all.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Naked Snake said:
This makes me wish I had a new PC and a Steam account. I can't believe those prices!
Well, if anyone here is intending on buying a new PC this year, I would strongly advise them to get buying now, saving on the eventual cost of buying games.

Games on Steam do not have any download limits, you do not have to download them in a certain period of time and there's no obligation to actually use them right away. Hell, if you wanted you could splurge now, and buy a PC 6 months later, the games will be there waiting and you would have saved a fortune getting them.

Anyway, 5:30 until wallet rape occurs again, I wonder if we'll see the same cycle of
"Meh, these prices are crap"
"Wait, they might be wrong"
"Ooh those corrected prices look interesting"
"FUCK YOU STEAM MY WALLET HURTS!" that we seen yesterday.
Red Scarlet said:
Well, it plays L4D1 and 2 fine, which are probably newer than the games I got, aside from ME. I think ME kind of scared me into trying out the stuff until I upgrade since it doesn't run well at all.
ME is an evil title, it even makes my rig cry, which is rare for a title of that age.

Stop It said:
Well, if anyone here is intending on buying a new PC this year, I would strongly advise them to get buying now, saving on the eventual cost of buying games.

Games on Steam do not have any download limits, you do not have to download them in a certain period of time and there's no obligation to actually use them right away. Hell, if you wanted you could splurge now, and buy a PC 6 months later, the games will be there waiting and you would have saved a fortune getting them.

Anyway, 5:30 until wallet rape occurs again, I wonder if we'll see the same cycle of
"Meh, these prices are crap"
"Wait, they might be wrong"
"Ooh those corrected prices look interesting"
"FUCK YOU STEAM MY WALLET HURTS!" that we seen yesterday.

ME is an evil title, it even makes my rig cry, which is rare for a title of that age.

You just know Valve did that on purpose yesterday! :lol

They have us all hook, line and sinker.

squinters

astigmatic
Crysis pack and Shattered Horizon were some of the most tempting games this sale had thrown me, but I managed to hold off. Gotta focus on upgrading my GPU first to play them in full glory, besides I still have a couple of games I'm still eyeing to buy before the sale ends.

IMACOMPUTA

Bought Shattered Horizon just for the fact that the graphics look incredible. I gotta do something impressive with my new gaming rig!

.. really tempted to get SFIV and/or Crysis pack.. but i already own Warhead and Crysis Wars. I wish Vanilla Crysis was reduced to like $5 or something!

A question to thoose who bought Multiwinia, are there anyone playing it now? I actually got Steam to remove the game from my games list previously because there were never ever anyone playing it online.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
CecilRousso said:
A question to thoose who bought Multiwinia, are there anyone playing it now? I actually got Steam to remove the game from my games list previously because there were never ever anyone playing it online.
How do you do this? My OCD wants some games completely off the list.

Twig

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
Bought Shattered Horizon just for the fact that the graphics look incredible.
They are not so impressive as you seem to think...

That is not to say the game is ugly. Far from it. But compared to most of today's newer [GRAPHICS OMG] games, it is nothing special.

EDIT: Technically speaking, is what I'm getting at here.

NameGenerated said:
How do you do this? My OCD wants some games completely off the list.

You create a support question about it, and nag, nag, nag until they do want you want.

You really need some patience with it, since the questions sometimes are answered by call center people with very little understanding of the english question.

When I did this for Multiwinia, they wanted a picture of my manual with licence code for Empire: Total War, as a proof that I was who I claimed to be, and then they asked me if I really wanted Empire removed....

squinters said:
Crysis pack and Shattered Horizon were some of the most tempting games this sale had thrown me, but I managed to hold off. Gotta focus on upgrading my GPU first to play them in full glory, besides I still have a couple of games I'm still eyeing to buy before the sale ends.

That's just counter productive though. When you do finally upgrade that GPU, Crysis and Shattered horizon are precisely the type of games you'll want to buy to put it through its paces, and by that point they'll cost 3 times as much. Seriously that Crysis package is an essental purchase for any discerning PC gamer, don't pass it up.

TheOneGuy said:
Why would you nag, nag, nag to get rid of something you paid for.

You people make no sense.

Since it was a game that was entirely useles, an online game with no one to play against.

And I really mean NO ONE. It wasn´t hard to find a game, but it was really impossible. Why keep a useless game?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
btw i finished Zombie Driver yesterday, it's fun if you enjoy old titles such as GTA 1 & 2. 10 dollars is too much for it since there's no replay value but 5 which is the price Zombie Driver goes during the holiday sale feels just right.

Twig

Banned
Yeah Zombie Driver is pretty fun for what I paid.

Wish it had some sort of multiplayer, though. It'd make a world of difference for me. O;
CecilRousso said:
Since it was a game that was entirely useles, an online game with no one to play against.

And I really mean NO ONE. It wasn´t hard to find a game, but it was really impossible. Why keep a useless game?
And yet here you are, asking if people play it now. What would you do if there were people playing it?

You'd feel awfully silly.

TheOneGuy said:
They are not so impressive as you seem to think...

Say what!? It eats Crysis for breakfast. Most impressive looking game out there.

Edit:: Technically speaking? You can always come up with the "bad art" card but technically speaking I can only think of Crysis, maybe Risen, that could be mentioned in the same category. The lighting and postprocessing is as good as it gets. I'd like to know what games you consider more impressive technically.

Twig

Banned
lol no it's not

I'm not playing on the highest settings or anything (because it's optimized for shit), but there's no fucking way you can think it's the best looking game out there. Unless you're on crack or something.

Is Gamespy Comrade required for Crysis, or can I choose to not install it?

I don't need more junk.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
CecilRousso said:
I saw a number of lobbies open, when i tested the game today.

TheOneGuy said:
And yet here you are, asking if people play it now. What would you do if there were people playing it?

You'd feel awfully silly.

Nah, not at all. I am not interested in the game, I am interested in what effect this sale will have for the developers, Introversion. If you had follow their blog after the catastrophe that was the Multiwinia release, you would understand.

TheOneGuy said:
lol no it's not

I'm not playing on the highest settings or anything (because it's optimized for shit), but there's no fucking way you can think it's the best looking game out there. Unless you're on crack or something.

Smh.

Twig

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Yeah that's relevant.

Sorry I'm crushing your world view. Sucks, doesn't it. ):

For the record, I did play on the highest settings for a few minutes, but obviously lowered it when my fps dropped like a rock. It still didn't look that great, even ignoring the fps.

I don't know why I'm bothering to explain myself to people like you, though. You're so set in your ways.
CecilRousso said:
Nah, not at all. I am not interested in the game, I am interested in what effect this sale will have for the developers, Introversion. If you had follow their blog after the catastrophe that was the Multiwinia release, you would understand.
I do understand. I follow Introversion pretty closely. I like 'em. :3

I still find it amusing you'd go through so much trouble to permanently rid yourself of something you paid for. It's not like you got a refund.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah that's relevant.

Sorry I'm crushing your world view. Sucks, doesn't it. ):

For the record, I did play on the highest settings for a few minutes, but obviously lowered it when my fps dropped like a rock. It still didn't look that great, even ignoring the fps.

I don't know why I'm bothering to explain myself to people like you, though. You're so set in your ways.

I do understand. I follow Introversion pretty closely. I like 'em. :3

I still find it amusing you'd go through so much trouble to permanently rid yourself of something you paid for. It's not like you got a refund.

I think it's more that you're commenting on which game looks better but you're comparing on low settings.

And ya, I don't understand the OCD of something being on your list. Did you guys complain to valve for the random free games or mods they add to your list every once in a while? I would think that would be more annoying then something you paid for...

vazel

Banned
I also want to get rid of some games from my list. It's just clutter. But I don't want them completely gone I just want a hide option.

Twig

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I think it's more that you're commenting on which game looks better but you're comparing on low settings.
Yeah, I understand that, but I'm not dumb enough to make that the basis of my argument. S:

Anyway I don't really care that much. Game's still fun.

vazel said:
I also want to get rid of some games from my list. It's just clutter. But I don't want them completely gone I just want a hide option.

So keep ones you want in favorites and ones you don't want in not installed? It's alphabetical and I doubt you have more games then me and I have no problem with clutter. It's pretty easy to find what you want...

I would also like to know about Gamespy Comrade.

I'm sure Crysis doesn't need it for multiplayer so I don't want to install it, but the installer start every time I try to run Crysis. Is there anyway to stop this?

EDIT: Thanks Zaraki !

I <3 Memes said:
I would also like to know about Gamespy Comrade.

I'm sure Crysis doesn't need it for multiplayer so I don't want to install it, but the installer start every time I try to run Crysis. Is there anyway to stop this?

Let it install then uninstall it. It shouldn't bother you again after that from what people have said.

TheOneGuy said:

Yeah, well it doesn´t seem likely that you will change your opinion no matter what I write, so I don´t think I will bother explaining it any more.

Twig

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Yeah, well it doesn´t seem likely that you will change your opinion no matter what I write, so I don´t think I will bother explaining it any more.
k

ps i wasn't making fun of you or anything, just musin'

chill bro chill
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So keep ones you want in favorites and ones you don't want in not installed? It's alphabetical and I doubt you have more games then me and I have no problem with clutter. It's pretty easy to find what you want...
I'd love a way to hide games I know I won't play for a while. But really just a better organization setup in general would probably solve that problem. Yeah, I just went there. Again.

EDIT: Also didn't notice this earlier but
brain_stew said:
Edit:: Technically speaking? You can always come up with the "bad art" card but technically speaking I can only think of Crysis, maybe Risen, that could be mentioned in the same category. The lighting and postprocessing is as good as it gets. I'd like to know what games you consider more impressive technically.
It may BE more technically impressive, but it sure as damn hell doesn't look it. I even just played half an hour on max settings for kicks (well, for like ten minutes, then I turned AA down to get a respectable, double-digit framerate). I won't deny that it is technically impressive TECHNICALLY but you'd have to point a gun at my head before I'd consider calling it technically impressive VISUALLY. And, yes, I can say that subjectively without talking about "art."

I can't really think of any games that "look better", as it were. I'm bad at coming up with things off the top of my head. D: It just doesn't wow me like I expected it to. Though, to be fair, that may just be because of the setting. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to make space look pretty than it is to make a jungle look pretty, so I guess I sort of expect it to almost literally blow me away.

Shrug.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've always sucked at fighting games, but I can't help but love SFIV (except the menu music!). Any tips for beginners/horrible players?

Gonna play some more Shattered Horizon in the meantime! I love this damn sale, and finally having my PC built!

Edit: I've just discovered the joys of silent running in Shattered Horizon. So awesome. All your suit's electronics are disabled to keep you off their radar, and dim your silhouette ingame. You lose all sound simulation, ammo count, HUD, and magnetic latching, but it makes you impossible to spot. Love it. Everyone must own this game at 5$.

TheOneGuy said:
k

ps i wasn't making fun of you or anything, just musin'

chill bro chill

I'd love a way to hide games I know I won't play for a while. But really just a better organization setup in general would probably solve that problem. Yeah, I just went there. Again.

EDIT: Also didn't notice this earlier but

It may BE more technically impressive, but it sure as damn hell doesn't look it. I even just played half an hour on max settings for kicks (well, for like ten minutes, then I turned AA down to get a respectable, double-digit framerate). I won't deny that it is technically impressive TECHNICALLY but you'd have to point a gun at my head before I'd consider calling it technically impressive VISUALLY. And, yes, I can say that subjectively without talking about "art."

I can't really think of any games that "look better", as it were. I'm bad at coming up with things off the top of my head. D: It just doesn't wow me like I expected it to. Though, to be fair, that may just be because of the setting. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to make space look pretty than it is to make a jungle look pretty, so I guess I sort of expect it to almost literally blow me away.

Shrug.
Sure, it can be handled better but the lengths some people went to in this thread to edit their list and pay money essentially to do it is ridiculous.

Mrbob

I wouldn't mind seeing Fallout 3 goty at a nice discount either. I went through it on xbox, would love to play it again with everything maxxed out.

Also, I am hoping for some sort of dawn of war sale. I still need soulstorm to finish out my dawn of war collection, 75 percent off would be nice!

That Crysis pack is definitely worth it at 13 bucks. What a steal. I would grab it, but I already own the game on disc and you don't need them to play the game. Well, technically you do for Crysis but you can find a no cd patch. Warhead does online activation and doesn't require a disc at all once everything is done.

Top Bottom