• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Javaman

bee said:
weird mass effect is only 7.2 gb on EA downloader and 9.8 installed

It's probably compressed. I think Steam also heavily compresses their games too and they extract while downloading. The witcher didn't take nearly as long to DL as it should have for it's size.

I have mixed feeling about the sale ending. On one hand I've got sale fatigue, but on the other OMG 75% off games! I'll probably go through all the games one last time on the 3rd to make sure I'm not missing anything decent.

Why are all (most) (many) of you trying to buy games immediately when they go on sale?
You have 24 hrs, and its not like digital downloads can ever run out... er, nevermind.

Zzoram

nvm, here it is:

crc51.jpg

kennah said:
Would anyone object to A NEW CONTEST!?

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

Photoshop, Paint, or whatever MR. T. into a scene from MASS EFFECT.

Games will be given out to the following categories

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Have fun!

I'm entering because if Steam refuses to let me buy the game, I don't want to miss this deal. If I end up buying it and somehow win, I'd like to have it gifted to a friend.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Linkzg said:
How is Trials 2 compared to Trials HD? I've seen people gushing about Trials HD

Trials 2 doesn't have a level editor, multiple bikes, and some of the more wacky contrived missions of Trials HD (No wacky rocket bikes or whatever).

It's pretty bare-bones (51 levels, 4 modes), but it has a rockin' presentation, runs smoothly, and gives you quick and easy access to leaderboards and ghosts. If you dig some of how Trackmania does its thing you'll also like this - a focus on simple core mechanics and leaderboards to show your stuff.

Also, the Steam achievements are wicked hard but incredibly rewarding when/if you get some of them.

Javaman said:
It's probably compressed. I think Steam also heavily compresses their games too and they extract while downloading. The witcher didn't take nearly as long to DL as it should have for it's size.

I have mixed feeling about the sale ending. On one hand I've got sale fatigue, but on the other OMG 75% off games! I'll probably go through all the games one last time on the 3rd to make sure I'm not missing anything decent.
Don't worry, there are always midweek, full week, and weekend deals lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
kennah said:

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Have fun!
2zfv485.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
kennah said:

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Have fun!
This was posted to me by a friend who alas is not a NeoGAF member, but will be visiting to see the reactions, here goes:

33uc0b7.jpg

nny

kennah said:

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Have fun!

PC-ME.png

are there any mass effect mods that would make me want to double dip.

better graphics and performance I know about, but those aren't mods :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I can't buy ME. Wants me to contact support, which brings up their page and I don't have my info punched in. I forgot my password, so I try to restore that first, and I am instead told they can't find my handle or my email address.

h8.

life.

Mass Effect purchase failed the first time and now it won't let me purchase it again. Keeps telling me there is an error... :(

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Great Mass Effect! Now i hope that the place i use to deposit money into the account of the guy i use to buy stuff is open tomorrow or i will be seriously pissed.

Smash88

Banned
kennah said:

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Have fun!

261nkew.jpg

:D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am playing Crysis...

So far I have a sound crackling bug.
Game thought it was full screen but menus and all responded as if it were windowed.
Second load crashed. Just got stuck.

Yeah...

3rdman

FYI, when I first tried to buy ME, it asked for my login info again...this was odd as I was already logged in. I chose to exit Steam, restart it, and then purchase ME. Everything seems fine now.

Salaadin

Im having Crysis issues. I boot up the game for the first time and it ran thru all of the first time setup. Game booted but hung at a black screen for a few minutes so I Ctrl+Alt+Del and got outta there.

Booted again, it started fine and I got to the title screen where I tried changing to resolution. It locked up when I tried to apply it. I backed out again, rebooted, and tried to change the HUD color. Locked up again.

Weird thing is that the demo works completely ok on my PC but I cant get the full game to do anything. Any ideas?

It appears that steam thinks that my Mass Effect transaction is continually in progress even though it canceled it due to an error.

Bliddo

kennah said:

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Have fun!

uh, fun

misterT.jpg

Relix said:
I am playing Crysis...

So far I have a sound crackling bug.
Game thought it was full screen but menus and all responded as if it were windowed.
Second load crashed. Just got stuck.

Yeah...

The sound problem has been there since release and it's something that is caused by a variety of things: http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13195

To fix the second problem, try turning off and then turning on vertical sync.

The game is going to crash. There's a variety of fixes, such as replacing the MSVCR80.dll file or playing in DirectX 9 mode.

kennah said:

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Have fun!

Thanks for the contest. I don't currently have Photoshop, so this is MSPainted, hopefully that's alright.

masseffecMrt.jpg

Smash88

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
My GPU (8800 gt) is hitting like 89 degrees when playing the crysis SP demo. something must be wrong. :(

Use Rivatuner to set your fan higher. The default is at 29%, I believe. 80-90% should be a good fan speed. Don't forget Crysis is a very GPU intensive game.

Smash88 said:
I hope all of you guys get your Steam transactions fixed, I wouldn't be surprised if this sells out in a few hours.

I can't believe we have to worry about this now. I thought this would be eliminated with Digital Downloads.

Zzoram

I will be so pissed off if I end up missing this deal because Steam chose to bug out on Mass Effect, the only game I went into the Steam Holiday Sale actually wanting.

Smash88 said:
Use Rivatuner to set your fan higher. The default is at 29%, I believe. 80-90% should be a good fan speed. Don't forget Crysis is a very GPU intensive game.

I have it set at like 50 and it's very noticeable. 80 - 90 really worth it? gonna sound like a jet.

FUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't log into the Steam Support website. WTF is this shit? Steam dropped the ball!

Stitch

Gold Member
gaaah i didn't really care about mass erect, watched the gametrailers review and now i totally want it but steam is completely broken

Zzoram

What torture! We've been begging for Mass Effect all week, and when they finally give it to us, Steam breaks and we can't buy it!

Struct09

Just got the "credit card declined" e-mail for my Mass Effect purchase.

Is anyone having luck buying it right now? I may just wait until later.

Alucrid

Banned
I guess I was lucky. I bought ME with no trouble but now I can't download it. :(

As for DMC4, you can probably pick that up anywhere for $10 or so...not worth the price.

dejan

DoctorWho said:
FUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't log into the Steam Support website. WTF is this shit? Steam dropped the ball!
Just to be sure ... you're aware that your Steam Support account is independent from your normal Steam account, right?

Top Bottom