• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Smash88 said:
The worst steam company is by far Activision. Bunch of cheap bastards, don't even want to put MW1 on sale.

I was going to put that in my post but got sidetracked in the middle of typing and forgot. :lol Activision is so much worse then EA ever was. COD 1 is still $20. I'm right now in a lifelong boycott of all Activision games. That includes all Blizzard titles and all IW titles. Lucky for me MMO's and RTS games don't appeal to me. I can live without COD games pretty easy. The only game I will miss will be D3.

EA has gone a long way to repairing their image. Their games are all very high quality now with many AAA titles. I'm assuming they don't treat their employees like indentured servants anymore. My opinion of them has been completely turned around from where it was 5 years ago. I still wont buy Madden as long as they have the license, but EA as a whole is a company I've come to respect again over the last 2 to 3 years.

Steam page says Doom 3 isn't supported by Win7 has anyone tried it? I installed the Demo on Vista, worked fine but couldn't get the video settings to stick once I started playing.

Would love to see Doom3 at MAAAXXX settings with AA/AF maxed out too.

Oli

I'm tempted to buy Portal. I've been close to buying the $15 XBL version, so this is a better deal...

M.J. Doja

Banned
I have the feeling that i'll never play sam & max because ive devolved into such a dumb gamer as time has passed. played way more p+c adv. games and less FPS, now its the opposite.

but 15 bucks and i've heard good things. any reason why i wouldnt like it?

also mass effect get.

Linkzg said:
How is Trials 2 compared to Trials HD? I've seen people gushing about Trials HD
I asked this question yesterday and a couple people answer with "Trials HD is basically Trials 3" . . . so 3 seems to be much better. However, HD is $15(I think) and this is $2.49 so I think I'll just pick up this for now. Even if I get HD later . . . this was only $2.49 and available on PC that I bring EVERYWHERE.

Relix said:
What was that Crysis config file that was posted here on GAF and claimed to be the best? =P

kamspy said:

Nooo. Unless there have been major changes since the last time I used CCC it is the worst looking among the 4 most popular mods. CCC does have the best look/performance balance for their lower level modification.

Ranked from best looking to worst looking (IMO) here are the 4 most popular graphics mods for Crysis

1.) Mster config
2.) Extreme Quality mod
3.) HP (gaf poster) (note I am judging this one from screenshots. Could be better then Extreme Quality mod)
4.) CCC

In the end though it all comes down to personal preference. Download all 4 and try them out. I'm pretty sure that if you are looking for the config that improves Crysis graphics the most then you will probably put CCC in 4th place as well. It's a fantastic config but the other 3 are better.

Struct09

Went to retry my ME purchase after getting the CC declined e-mail. It sat at "Working..." for a few minutes, but ended up going through.

kennah said:
Would anyone object to A NEW CONTEST!?

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

Photoshop, Paint, or whatever MR. T. into a scene from MASS EFFECT.

Games will be given out to the following categories

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Have fun!

Love . . . OK, I'll be a Copy Cat.

Another contest . . . Same rules as a above but only for putting Homer in a scene from Half-Life or any Half-Life 2 episode. This is for only a single copy of Half-Life 2 (Just the single main HL2 game).

kennah

speculawyer said:
Love . . . OK, I'll be a Copy Cat.

Another contest . . . Same rules as a above but only for putting Homer in a scene from Half-Life or any Half-Life 2 episode. This is for only a single copy of Half-Life 2 (Just the single main HL2 game).
WHAT IF SOMEONE DOES BOTH HOMER AND MR. T WHO WINS THEN SPECULAWYER WHO WINS THEN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

:lol

K.Jack said:
Seriously peeps, PAYPAL is wants to be your friend, right now.
This . . . I have a theory that there is a cascade failure effect:
1) Visa & Mastercard are freaking out by this "Valve" company making many repeated charges to the same set of people, day after day. So Visa & MC decline some charges.
2) Valve gets declined charges and locks out the account completely . . stopping even paypal.

If you stick to paypal, I think you'll be fine. I did like 10 paypal transactions yesterday buying games for people that are locked out and my account is still working fine.

And again, I'll buy for you if you are locked and can't buy. However, please add a few cents extra since I just realized I've been getting nickel & dimed by Paypal and a little money on each transaction. :lol

Edit: I'm going to go out for a run soon but I'll be back so don't panic if I don't answer your PM right away.

DemonNite

already completed on 360 and still have the game but bought ME anyway :lol

I guess i might as well complete it again and get a savegame ready... ME2 PC will be better anyway!

Won

Oh I finally can download it and got a mail.....despite my second try not going through. Hmmmm.

Edit: 200kb. Fucking stonage server. Screw you Finland, migrating to Iceland!

Edit2: OMG, even worse!

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I can't even select paypal. It says

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Tomasooie

kennah said:
Would anyone object to A NEW CONTEST!?

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

Photoshop, Paint, or whatever MR. T. into a scene from MASS EFFECT.

Games will be given out to the following categories

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Have fun!

MrTeeper.png

Volcynika

Bebpo said:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Same.

neoism

Wow that sucks, I was going to buy Crysis maximum for 13$ yesterday, but chickened out, now it $30.....:( O'well I just got Mass Effect for $5, can you use the 360 PC pad with it or is the PC interface better!?

epmode

neoism said:
Wow that sucks, I was going to buy Crysis maximum for 13$ yesterday, but chickened out, now it $30.....:( O'well I just got Mass Effect for $5, can you use the 360 PC pad with it or is the PC interface better!?
The combat and movement controls are a little better but the inventory interface is just as shit as the console version, maybe a little worse.

Atilac

I <3 Memes said:
Nooo. Unless there have been major changes since the last time I used CCC it is the worst looking among the 4 most popular mods. CCC does have the best look/performance balance for their lower level modification.

Ranked from best looking to worst looking (IMO) here are the 4 most popular graphics mods for Crysis

1.) Mster config
2.) Extreme Quality mod
3.) HP (gaf poster) (note I am judging this one from screenshots. Could be better then Extreme Quality mod)
4.) CCC

In the end though it all comes down to personal preference. Download all 4 and try them out. I'm pretty sure that if you are looking for the config that improves Crysis graphics the most then you will probably put CCC in 4th place as well. It's a fantastic config but the other 3 are better.

My custom config is simple and I prefer it over the others

con_restricted=0
g_enableAutoSave=0
r_UseEdgeAA=2
e_lods=0
r_displayinfo=0
r_DepthOfField=0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0

neoism said:

Why are people surprised when the daily deals go back up to normal price?

Downloading Mass Effect with no problems, although a little bit slow :)
I think this was the only game left I really wanted to buy from Steam. So far I've bought

Mass Effect
Street Fighter IV
Half-Life 1: Source
Left 4 Dead
Rockstar Collection (EU)
Braid
Audiosurf
Beyond Good and Evil
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Mirror's Edge
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
Star Wars: KOTOR
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle

Everything for 83.35€!! :)

For people still having trouble with purchasing Mass Effect, go to your cart, purchase as a gift and gift it to the email your steam account is attached to. It worked for me :)

Smash88 said:
I would have believed you if running out of keys never happened before, because I would've never thought you can run out, especially since many were touting it as one of the better features of online purchases, but I don't know anymore. :lol

I also have to agree with you on the Holiday sales, EA is definitely up there.

The worst steam company is by far Activision. Bunch of cheap bastards, don't even want to put MW1 on sale.
I'd put Take-Two (which owns both 2K and Rockstar) over EA since the 2K deals have been lower priced. $2.49 for prey, $5 for Bioshock, $7.49 for GTA IV, $2.79 for Jade Empire, $3.79 for Max Payne pack, etc. Plus non daily sales on all 2K stuff and some Rockstar stuff.

Activision SUCKS. Not even the very original CoD!! (OK, they did have WaW but it was $25.)

neoism

Guys, does delete local content delete the whole game from the HD, if not how? I have Dirt 2 I got for getting a 5870 and I just don't play it enough it takes up 10GB's

Zzoram

neoism said:
Guys, does delete local content delete the whole game from the HD, if not how? I have Dirt 2 I got for getting a 5870 and I just don't play it enough it takes up 10GB's

Yes.

My first ever attempt at editing a picture:

2m2gnpy.jpg

I used Windows Paint.

Edit #1: Looks so bad :<

Edit #2: Updated with slightly better version.

Edit #3: Reduced size.

Edit #4: Final Edit.

Solideliquid said:
Steam page says Doom 3 isn't supported by Win7 has anyone tried it? I installed the Demo on Vista, worked fine but couldn't get the video settings to stick once I started playing.

Would love to see Doom3 at MAAAXXX settings with AA/AF maxed out too.
WTF? They should put that it big bold red letters like they do on the SH page.

Maybe it does work though?

This sucks . . . Doom 3 does work on Win 7 and Shattered Horizons doesn't work on XP . . . AND I HAVE BOTH GAMES! :lol

Can one build dual-boot machines?

Bebpo said:

I believe this means that Steam totally locked you out. You can't buy anything until they unlock it.

There is the workaround of creating a new account and then gifting your main account.

Atilac said:
My custom config is simple and I prefer it over the others

con_restricted=0
g_enableAutoSave=0
r_UseEdgeAA=2
e_lods=0
r_displayinfo=0
r_DepthOfField=0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0

Most if not all of the configs I listed come with TOD mods. Thats what makes the biggest difference.

And also for some people having troubles with running Crysis in DX10, most of these mods (Mster config for sure) will give you all of the features of DX10 (except object motion blur) while running in DX9. I hope that helps some of you who are having menu/crashing problems.

Top Bottom