• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Thanks for the config tips, will look into it! My PC is choking with the game, but what I find surprising is that the CPU isn't at 100%, in fact it just spikes down and up. I've been running the game windowed and while it mostly plays at 30FPS there are some horrible stutters where FPS keeps itself in the single digits. When I look at Task Manager CPU usage is like at 20%. WTF?

nyong

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
Lame DMC4 price. I would've bought it at $10 or less.

No kidding. $9.99 or bust.

Mass Effect and Sam & Max are mine anyhow. I'm pretty damn tempted to pick up the Doom Pack because I never played the Doom 3 expansion, and the core game is one of my favorite shooters of all time. Can anyone who purchased it confirm that it works (completely) under W7?

Bebpo

Banned
speculawyer said:
I believe this means that Steam totally locked you out. You can't buy anything until they unlock it.

There is the workaround of creating a new account and then gifting your main account.

I can't even gift. It still shows my order of Trials 2 & ME from 2 hours ago as Pending. I haven't received any card decline e-mail but I can't install either game from my game list. I can't even download the Trials 2 demo because it thinks I own the full game.

Total mess. I won't be heartbroken if I miss today's deal because I don't care that much about getting either. But if in the last 2 days there is some killer deal that I can't get because of all this I'm gonna be pissed :(

Leatherface

I <3 Memes said:
Nooo. Unless there have been major changes since the last time I used CCC it is the worst looking among the 4 most popular mods. CCC does have the best look/performance balance for their lower level modification.

Ranked from best looking to worst looking (IMO) here are the 4 most popular graphics mods for Crysis

1.) Mster config
2.) Extreme Quality mod
3.) HP (gaf poster) (note I am judging this one from screenshots. Could be better then Extreme Quality mod)
4.) CCC

In the end though it all comes down to personal preference. Download all 4 and try them out. I'm pretty sure that if you are looking for the config that improves Crysis graphics the most then you will probably put CCC in 4th place as well. It's a fantastic config but the other 3 are better.

I'm completely out of the loop on this one. Are these mods to get better graphics with less impact on the video card? Where do I get these? Thanks! :)

Truespeed

(favorite) This is with a filter applied to give Mr. T a videogame look:
ju8kg4.jpg

2d0igqc.jpg

66vjfo.jpg

2wfvnll.jpg

According to the steam forum, Doom3 works fine in 7-64bit from steam because it's patched. The unpatched original game and never patched demo will not work on Vista or 7.

speculawyer said:
Can one build dual-boot machines?

Certainly. That's what I do. 7-64bit and XP-32bit dual boot.

However, once you get used to 7 you'll probably find yourself avoiding booting into XP if at all possible.

Bebpo said:
Total mess. I won't be heartbroken if I miss today's deal because I don't care that much about getting either. But if in the last 2 days there is some killer deal that I can't get because of all this I'm gonna be pissed :(
Again, if you paypal me, I'll buy & gift. I've done a pile of these . . . I'm not gonna rip anyone off. A bunch of people here will vouch for me.

However, I'm going to go for a run soon so don't panic if I don't answer your PM right away.

nyong

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
According to the steam forum, Doom3 works fine in 7-64bit from steam because it's patched. The unpatched original game and never patched demo will not work on Vista or 7.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I'm wondering about 32-bit.

neoism

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why are people surprised when the daily deals go back up to normal price?
:lol :lol Oh, I didn't now it was a daily deal! :( I would have bought it! I don't really know how steam works. I just got a PC that can play games!

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Certainly. That's what I do. 7-64bit and XP-32bit dual boot.

However, once you get used to 7 you'll probably find yourself avoiding booting into XP if at all possible.

Cool, don't have to download to test out then.

neoism said:
:lol :lol Oh, I didn't now it was a daily deal! :( I would have bought it! I don't really know how steam works. I just got a PC that can play games!

It's on the front page that says daily deals in big letters with an equally as big countdown clock...

Minsc

Gold Member
Do the Crysis custom configs offer any improvements beyond just using very high for all the options?

People getting DooM make sure to get zDoom! Guaranteed to impress while retaining that classic look.

I picked up the iD pack and all the DooM games work great on Windows 7 64-bit.

Leatherface said:
I'm completely out of the loop on this one. Are these mods to get better graphics with less impact on the video card? Where do I get these? Thanks! :)

The first 3 mods all have different levels of quality configs to choose from when installing. CCC has 5. Some may even degrade visuals slightly but provide tremendous performance benefits. The TOD (time of Day) modifications that come with most of these will increase the quality of the visuals more than any config will, but at a performance cost.

But if you are having crashing or menu problems in DX10 then these mods can be particularly helpful. Using these configs and TOD mods you can run the game in DX9 without having to give up most of the features that come with using DX10, like god rays for example. However you will not be able to use object motion blur without running in DX10.

Relix Crysis is very GPU bound. That's why it isn't using very much of your CPU's power. BTW what are your PC's specs? I remember you upgrading recently.

EDIT: Sorry forgot the link to the the best site for Crysis mods. http://www.crymod.com/portal.php

Minsc said:
Do the Crysis custom configs offer any improvements beyond just using very high for all the options?

People getting DooM make sure to get zDoom! Guaranteed to impress while retaining that classic look.

I picked up the iD pack and all the DooM games work great on Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, they do offer other improvements, such as better performance at higher settings.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I <3 Memes said:
Relix Crysis is very GPU bound. That's why it isn't using very much of your CPU's power. BTW what are your PC's specs? I remember you upgrading recently.

EDIT: Sorry forgot the link to the the best site for Crysis mods. http://www.crymod.com/portal.php

I have been reading, seems I am very RAM bound, with some CPU issues by the side.

It's a Radeon HD 4870 512MB, but 2GBs of RAM and an old C2D 1.86GHZ oced to 2.2. It's weird, the CPU suddenly goes blank and FPS drop to 1FPS or it struggles to reach over 10+FPS at some points.

neoism

Sorry another Mass Effect ? Is the load-times still bad, and did they fix the inventory problem, also can you mod the game, or is the not allowed?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok I did something I thought I'd never do and double dipped on SFIV. 2 minutes of playing and my xbox copy went in the goozex queue, it's beautiful.

also, torchlight is the coolest game ever. Love it, love steam.

Leatherface

I <3 Memes said:
The first 3 mods all have different levels of quality configs to choose from when installing. CCC has 5. Some may even degrade visuals slightly but provide tremendous performance benefits. The TOD (time of Day) modifications that come with most of these will increase the quality of the visuals more than any config will, but at a performance cost.

But if you are having crashing or menu problems in DX10 then these mods can be particularly helpful. Using these configs and TOD mods you can run the game in DX9 without having to give up most of the features that come with using DX10, like god rays for example. However you will not be able to use object motion blur without running in DX10.

I'm about to upgrade but my system is starting to show its age. This is what I have loaded:

WIN7 64bit
Pentium D (dual core) 2.83ghz
4 Gigs of ram
8800GT

p.s.- Thanks for the link and info btw! :)

neoism said:
Sorry another Mass Effect ? Is the load-times still bad, and did they fix the inventory problem, also can you mod the game, or is the not allowed?
Load times depend on your specs. I have a gig of RAM and they're better than the 360 version for me. Inventory is so much better this time, and I dunno about mods.

Minsc said:

Yeah, thanks for that. I tried zDoom earlier when you mentioned it with Doom2 and Heretic and it's awesome. Is there anything like zDoom for Wolfenstein 3D and Spear or Destiny?

Also, for those interested:

Trials 2 - I just tried the demo for this and despite being a little older than Trials HD it doesn't look or play all that differently. The best part (for me) is that it appears to have 360 pad support automatically including rumble, so I think anyone who's interested in Trials should definitely pick it up at this price, regardless of Trials HD's existence.

catfish said:
ok I did something I thought I'd never do and double dipped on SFIV. 2 minutes of playing and my xbox copy went in the goozex queue, it's beautiful.

also, torchlight is the coolest game ever. Love it, love steam.

58530_1SF41_122_389lo.jpg

Indeed it is. :D

Too bad I don't have a clue what I'm doing! :lol

Zzoram

So it worked for me but the download stopped at 5%. I guess servers are hammered? It's not paused, it's just not downloading anymore.

neoism

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Cool, don't have to download to test out then.

It's on the front page that says daily deals in big letters with an equally as big countdown clock...
I thought I had until Jan 3rd! see thread title! :/

zoku88

Sigh, nothing for me today. I bought ME for 10 bucks a while ago and I already have Sam and Max, both seasons.

(And DMC4 for PS3)

neoism

Buttonbasher said:
Load times depend on your specs. I have a gig of RAM and they're better than the 360 version for me. Inventory is so much better this time, and I dunno about mods.
ie5 2.7X4
Radeon 5870
8GB ram

So now that we only have 1 or 2 sets of daily deals left, what are the best deals when it comes to the ordinary ones?

I´m looking at the Broken Sword Pack och The LucasArts Adventure Pack, but what other great deals are there to find?

Mass Effect was pretty much the last game I was hoping for during the sale. Force Unleashed would be nice at a low price though.

I played through it twice on the 360, but never played the PC version. Can't wait to check it out. Should look gorgeous and run smoothly on a 5850 w/ Phenom II X4 920, 4gb of ram right?

Erudite

CecilRousso said:
So now that we only have 1 or 2 sets of daily deals left, what are the best deals when it comes to the ordinary ones?

I´m looking at the Broken Sword Pack och The LucasArts Adventure Pack, but what other great deals are there to find?
Braid for $2.50 is a good deal if you haven't played it already

CecilRousso said:

Outrun 2006, Rainbow Six 3, Braid, Sniper Elite, Complete Shooter Pack (Includes: Alien Shooter, Alien Shooter: Revisited , Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded , Zombie Shooter), and Shadowgrounds Pack (Includes: Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor)

Bebpo

Banned
Finally got my credit card declined e-mail. Now everything works fine and I was able to purchase ME & Trials 2.

PS. Trials 2 is terrible compared to Trials HD.

CecilRousso said:

Lucas Adventure
Eidos Collector pack
Braid
Osmos
Audiosurf
Atari games you want that are 66% off
Telltale Complete pack (If you are considering Sam & Max you might want to look into this.)
Unreal pack
id super-pack is pretty good

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Mass Effect was pretty much the last game I was hoping for during the sale. Force Unleashed would be nice at a low price though.
Yeah, that is what you think but tomorrow they'll have some good game you are interested in for $2.50 to $5 and you'll bite.

Zzoram

Man, Indigo Prophecy is so hard even on Easy. I'm stuck in a flashback where I have to evade guards to get into a building. I constantly fail and I don't even want to finish the game now.

This is making me worry that Heavy Rain will be too hard.

Relix said:
Brain Stew what are your PC specs

GTX 260-216 (OCed to 675/1404/1161)
E5200 @ 3.6ghz
6GB DDR2 800mhz

Nothing particularly fancy really, I just make sure I get the most out of it. Heart OCing kit.

CecilRousso said:

Outrun 2006 and......................

OUTRUN 2006!!!!

P.S. Pick up the Shadowgrounds pack.

Kool Aid

Banned
Picked up Audiosurf, Trials 2, and Braid today.

Still debating whether or not to get Mass Effect. I already have it on the 360, and my PC can't really handle it, but I doubt I'll be able to find the PC version at that price anytime soon, so I figured I may as well nab it.

Top Bottom