• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Oozinator

Banned
Ettenra said:
Bought outrun for 2.49. Now very tempted to buy an XB360 controller and PC adapter from Amazon for 50. Somewhere my logic has issues.

Speaking of issues, the game isn't detecting my network connection (wireless). Anyone else having the same problem?

online servers for Outrun 2006 have been shut down long ago by SEGA, but it's till a great pickup and play solo game, whenever you feel sad just ride a shiny Ferrari with a hot blonde next to you

bengraven

Truespeed said:
They make the Xbox live community look like choir boys ;)

:D

But I should have also added: is it active? Will I have problems getting games? I've never played an Unreal game and would like to try them out.

Oozinator said:
online servers for Outrun 2006 have been shut down long ago by SEGA, but it's till a great pickup and play solo game, whenever you feel sad just ride a shiny Ferrari with a hot blond next to you
long ago? maybe even.... four years ago???????????

Ettie

Firebrand said:
There is no online for Outrun2006 on PC, sorry. I don't know if there ever was, but there are no servers for multiplayer at the moment. Don't think online leaderboards, ghost data etc is working either.

:(

Still way worth it.

Now, if I can get the 360PC controller to work on XP Bastard (xp64 that is).

vocab

bengraven said:
:D

But I should have also added: is it active? Will I have problems getting games? I've never played an Unreal game and would like to try them out.

Ya, probably. It's not as intense as it was back in the day, but people still play it. UT3 might be least active though. UT99, and 2k4 is all I ever played.

catfish said:
ok I did something I thought I'd never do and double dipped on SFIV. 2 minutes of playing and my xbox copy went in the goozex queue, it's beautiful.

also, torchlight is the coolest game ever. Love it, love steam.
As someone who also owns both versions: you should keep the Xbox 360 version if you're looking for better competition somewhere down the road. Haven't met very many good players on PC to be honest (strictly randomers I mean).

bengraven

Best surprise: Mount & Blade. Much like the developer's inspriations, it's basically two of my favorite games of all time combined: Daggerfall and Sid Meier's Pirates! It's Pirates with Nords. Mod the shit out of it and it's my favorite game right now.

Biggest disappointment so far: Half-Life Source. I actually had to log out and check to see if I accidently installed Half-Life. Having already owned HL1 and 2, I should have just waited for Black Mesa. Looks horrible.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Anyone have any experience with Darkstar One? Seems like a pretty cool game, and the 4.99 price tag isn't bad. Impressions?

Also, Port Royale 2. Any impressions would be appreciated. ;)

dani_dc

Think I might get ME, got the DVD version last year for cheap but I rather not have to worry about DRM and DRM removals.

That Doom package deal is really crappy considering we had the iD Super Pack for the same price a few days ago.
No comments on DMC4, besides "lol" Capcom :lol

Now come on Valve, further cut the price on the Witcher!

domlolz

Banned
SapientWolf said:
World in Conflict is easily the best looking and most action packed RTS ever made. At 10 duckets it would be a crime not to buy it.

I gave in and also bought Mass Effect. Ach.

bengraven

dani_dc said:
That Doom package deal is really crappy considering we had the iD Super Pack for the same price a few days ago.
No comments on DMC4, besides "lol" Capcom :lol

Now come on Valve, further cut the price on the Witcher!

Actually it was $20, but was still a better deal because you got over twice as many games. That said, I'm still debating on buying it.

Also, buy Witcher, come ON. It's maybe the second best western RPG of the decade.

Brashnir

Ettenra said:
Bought outrun for 2.49. Now very tempted to buy an XB360 controller and PC adapter from Amazon for 50. Somewhere my logic has issues.

Speaking of issues, the game isn't detecting my network connection (wireless). Anyone else having the same problem?

Don't spend 50. Can get one for $38.99.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5T6A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I picked one up last week. It comes with a controller + wireless adapter. Or you could get a wired controller cheaper.

Zzoram

After 5 hours, Mass Effect is already at the #1 seller on Steam chart (determined by $). I am not sure what time period the chart covers, I always assumed either a week or a day, possibly something weird like 3-days, but I would imagine it's more than 1 day since Crysis Maximum is still #2 and I doubt it would still be selling that well after the deal ended.

What this tells us is that there was incredible pent up demand for Mass Effect at $5 on Steam. It's sold more than double the number of copies than what the Crysis Maximum pack did.

bengraven said:
Best surprise: Mount & Blade. Much like the developer's inspriations, it's basically two of my favorite games of all time combined: Daggerfall and Sid Meier's Pirates! It's Pirates with Nords. Mod the shit out of it and it's my favorite game right now.

Biggest disappointment so far: Half-Life Source. I actually had to log out and check to see if I accidently installed Half-Life. Having already owned HL1 and 2, I should have just waited for Black Mesa. Looks horrible.

Install High Definition: Source:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/15204

Zzoram said:
After 5 hours, Mass Effect is already at the #1 seller on Steam chart (determined by $). I am not sure what time period the chart covers, I always assumed either a week or a day, possibly something weird like 3-days, but I would imagine it's more than 1 day since Crysis Maximum is still #2 and I doubt it would still be selling that well after the deal ended.

What this tells us is that there was incredible pent up demand for Mass Effect at $5 on Steam. It's sold more than double the number of copies than what the Crysis Maximum pack did.

It usually represents the previous day of sales, but they tend to change it during these huge sales and it seems like it represents the last couple of hours. Valve has said that sales don't usually taper off that much after it's been on sale, so it's possible that Crysis Maximum edition is selling enough to remain at number 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:
Install High Definition: Source:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/15204

Or he could just play HL1 vanilla which is still the best way to play the game. Difficulty settings are broken in HL Source (easy is pretty much hard setting for vanilla, bullets hitting you do around 5 damage, a Marine hitting you from the side catching you off guard can drop you buy 30 health in a second, and Xen master projectiles move much faster than they should on lower difficulty... they are much harder to dodge.

Shattered Horizon is very fun. Runs excellent maxed out @ 1080p on my 5850. I dig the jetpack/weightless aspect. Looks very nice as well. Well worth the $5. I seem to have lost my 3 guest passes however. =(

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Shattered Horizon is very fun. Runs excellent maxed out @ 1080p on my 5850. I dig the jetpack/weightless aspect. Looks very nice as well. Well worth the $5. I seem to have lost my 3 guest passes however. =(

Games > Manage Gift & Guest Passes.

Salaadin said:
Are there any recent good joystick compatible games out there on Steam? Something Ace Combat-ish maybe?
A LOT of the more recent games support the 360 controller natively. I'd recommend getting the 360 controller for windows.

Comes in wired:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BT4CF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And wireless:

If you just want the dongle, you can find it on eBay.

And if a game doesn't support a controller natively, you can often get one of the 3rd party programs to translate 360 buttons into keystrokes . . . here is a good GAF thread on playing games on a PC console-style.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366437

I've been playing ghostbusters on a PC with the 360 controller & the big HDTV . . . and it rocks.

bengraven

Stallion Free said:
Or he could just play HL1 vanilla which is still the best way to play the game. Difficulty settings are broken in HL Source (easy is pretty much hard setting for vanilla, bullets hitting you do around 5 damage, a Marine hitting you from the side catching you off guard can drop you buy 30 health in a second, and Xen master projectiles move much faster than they should on lower difficulty... they are much harder to dodge.

Jesus.

I'm just going to wait for Mesa. I'm sorry, I truly am, even coming from someone who gamed on PC a bit back in those days (just never played FPSs, so no interest in HL at the time), I can't get over the graphics.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bengraven said:
Jesus.

I'm just going to wait for Mesa. I'm sorry, I truly am, even coming from someone who gamed on PC a bit back in those days (just never played FPSs, so no interest in HL at the time), I can't get over the graphics.

I know what you are saying, I find it really difficult to get into a lot of games from the older eras too because of graphics, but I can usually embrace 1995 and up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm getting ~30-40 FPS on my 5750 and 1920x1080. Runs well enough, since the game isn't fast paced, but I do have to wonder why it doesn't run better. It looks nice, but I just feel I should be getting a better framerate considering what I'm seeing. I hope they patch in DX11 in the future!

But whatever, the game is damn fun. I've put more time into it that any other purchase during the Steam sale.

bengraven

Stallion Free said:
I know what you are saying, I find it really difficult to get into a lot of games from the older eras too because of graphics, but I can usually embrace 1995 and up.

Sims and RPGs I seem to be able to handle. Action games, no so much.

I think the latest I'd go was 2000: I still play and thoroughly enjoy the graphics in games like Alice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
speculawyer said:
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows
Price: $38.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

I really would recommend buying a wired 360 controller for PC use as I had my wireless adapter just stop working and you can't purchase those on their own any more so it can leave you kind of screwed (fortunately I have an 360 to put that controller to use and I just picked up a wired controller so I wouldn't run into that issue again).

Lyphen said:
I'm getting ~30-40 FPS on my 5750 and 1920x1080. Runs well enough, since the game isn't fast paced, but I do have to wonder why it doesn't run better. It looks nice, but I just feel I should be getting a better framerate considering what I'm seeing. I hope they patch in DX11 in the future!

But whatever, the game is damn fun. I've put more time into it that any other purchase during the Steam sale.

I understand what you're saying, the game looks good but deceptively undemanding for the framerate you get. I just chalk that up to futuremark and it being their first game etc. Lighting is awesome, I was in a 32 player server and it was just lasers flying all over...very cool looking with the moon as a huge backdrop.

dani_dc

bengraven said:
Actually it was $20, but was still a better deal because you got over twice as many games. That said, I'm still debating on buying it.

Also, buy Witcher, come ON. It's maybe the second best western RPG of the decade.
I must have just done the conversion of the US price to Euros and had the price stick in my mind then :lol

I'm not buying anything that's not a daily deal (or under 5) up to the third, in the meantime I'll be hoping for Witcher to drop further price so I can save a few more Euros.

bengraven

dani_dc said:
I must have just done the conversion of the US price to Euros and had the price stick in my mind then :lol

I'm not buying anything that's not a daily deal (or under 5) up to the third, in the meantime I'll be hoping for Witcher to drop further price so I can save a few more Euros.

I would buy it again at a decent price.

I got mine for a dollar. Everyone on eBay were buying the Enhanced Edition and the normal editions were stagnating. I won one for 99c. I suppose the seller didn't realize you can download the EE for free. So I basically got the deluxe edition for a dollar.

If it gets less than $5, I will likely pay it forward to a fenced GAFfer out of guilt at my good fortune.

legend166

Dammit, I bought Trials for $5 at the beginning of the sale.

I'm very tempted to buy Sam & Max Complete. Someone talk me out of it!

Brashnir

legend166 said:

Do you have any of the other Telltale games? If not, you should be getting the Telltale Everything Pack instead. Though I'm guessing that by "talk me out of it," you didn't really mean, "talk me out of it and into buying a more expensive package."

Stallion Free said:
I really would recommend buying a wired 360 controller for PC use as I had my wireless adapter just stop working and you can't purchase those on their own any more so it can leave you kind of screwed (fortunately I have an 360 to put that controller to use and I just picked up a wired controller so I wouldn't run into that issue again).

They're proan to going dead but the fix is simple, just open it up and solder two points together and it'll work fine. Heck I didn't have a soldering iron handy so tin foil sufficed.

Smash88

Banned
Is it bad that I had to google/wikipedia what "The Witcher" is...for some reason I've never heard of it, I guess I totally missed that memo. :lol

Looks interesting, would it be comparable to Oblivion?

Wallach

Smash88 said:
Is it bad that I had to google/wikipedia what "The Witcher" is...for some reason I've never heard of it, I guess I totally missed that memo. :lol

No. It is nothing like Oblivion honestly.

It's much more plot-driven with a significantly higher focus placed on the game's combat system.

legend166

Brashnir said:
Do you have any of the other Telltale games? If not, you should be getting the Telltale Everything Pack instead. Though I'm guessing that by "talk me out of it," you didn't really mean, "talk me out of it and into buying a more expensive package."

I have Tales of Monkey Island.

Doesn't matter, I looked at my bank account and talked myself out of it :lol

Smash88

Banned
Wallach said:
No. It is nothing like Oblivion honestly.

It's much more plot-driven with a significantly higher focus placed on the game's combat system.

So if you could compare it...what games would you compare it to. Just so I get an idea of what it is about/like.

bengraven

Smash88 said:

More linear, like Dragon Age more than Oblivion. Get to a certain point, then there are places you can go and take as long as you want until the next point. Plenty of little side quests. I've put in 60 hours and I'm only halfway through though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
Great to see that MS is still doing everything they can to support PC gaming :eyeroll:

bengraven

Smash88 said:
So if you could compare it...what games would you compare it to. Just so I get an idea of what it is about/like.

It's Dragon Age with a much more mature story and just one morally grey party member.

And it has some of the best music in a game since Diablo 2, IMHO.

It's much less about equipment than other games as well; don't expect to be loot whoring. Building your characters stats is the major focus and it was very satisfying to me.

Alex

legend166 said:

Sam & Max is by far the best thing Telltale has made, and probably the only really solid modern point & clicks (imo) I would go for it if you have the time.

Brashnir

legend166 said:
I have Tales of Monkey Island.

Doesn't matter, I looked at my bank account and talked myself out of it :lol

ah, well TOMI is the biggest reason to get the everything pack, so I guess you're set.

Smash88

Banned
bengraven said:
More linear, like Dragon Age more than Oblivion. Get to a certain point, then there are places you can go and take as long as you want until the next point. Plenty of little side quests. I've put in 60 hours and I'm only halfway through though.

Holy crap, 60 hours and halfway through. Alright, thanks for comparing it to something. I'll see what I can do about checking it out.

Top Bottom