• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Slavik81

legend166 said:
I'm very tempted to buy Sam & Max Complete. Someone talk me out of it!
Unlike everyone else, I'll try.

The series is usually mediocre and occasionally incredibly annoying. Every episode is also very similar in structure, just with a new theme wrapped around it. The entire purpose of playing is to move through the funny things the characters might say when you click on things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There are some good titles for cheap, which is not bad at all, I've gotten 8 games so far. This is actually my first time ever buying stuff from Steam.

Costanza

Banned
Would you guys say the Eidos pack is worth the $50, even if I've already played Arkham Asylum/Just Cause on other systems and own the Hitman games on Steam already?

Parham

Banned
Costanza said:
Would you guys say the Eidos pack is worth the $50, even if I've already played Arkham Asylum/Just Cause on other systems and own the Hitman games on Steam already?

How interested are you in playing the other games?

Costanza

Banned
azentium said:
How interested are you in playing the other games?
Eh, the only things there I REALLY want to play are Deus Ex and Thief. And I did rent Battlestations Midway a few years ago and had fun with it.

still... I guess I wouldn't mind having a PC copy of Arkham Asylum. hmm

Alucrid

Banned
confused said:
Holy shit, looking at steam top seller list and Devil May Cry 4 is actually selling at that price. I'm shocked GAF !

What the fuck? Why is it beating Mass Effect at four times the price? I...I don't, can't...need to sit down.

Zzoram

Smash88 said:
Holy crap, 60 hours and halfway through. Alright, thanks for comparing it to something. I'll see what I can do about checking it out.

The Witcher is indeed like Bioware games, but the combat isn't anything like Dragon Age. It's more akin to Jade Empire's combat, given that it's mainly timing based clicks.

Zzoram

Alucrid said:
What the fuck? Why is it beating Mass Effect at four times the price? I...I don't, can't...need to sit down.

The top sellers list is based on $, not copies sold. DMC4 isn't beating Mass Effect, it would have to sell 5x the copies to do that.

Smash88

Banned
Alucrid said:

???

I'm guessing your list is different from ours.

DMC4 is #10

Mass Effect is #1

You should be disappointed at your local GAF. :lol

SuperAwesome said:
Uh. Are downloads inching along for everyone? Unbearably slow for the past 5 or so hours. :( 35%

7 hours and 63% :lol

amrod

SuperAwesome said:
Uh. Are downloads inching along for everyone? Unbearably slow for the past 5 or so hours. :( 35%

File -> Settings -> Downloads ->

Change your server to another.. it helped my speeds :)

Costanza said:
Ebay batman & Just Cause and that will make it worth the price difference . . . I guess I'm assuming you still have those games.

Alucrid

Banned
Zzoram said:
The top sellers list is based on $, not copies sold. DMC4 isn't beating Mass Effect, it would have to sell 5x the copies to do that.

Touche.

stealthedit: Fuck I was wrong too. Forget what I wrote. Waiting for ME to finish downloading for six hours must have made me slightly insane.

SuperAwesome said:

I'm hovering around 1 mb/s

Mirror's Edge System Requirements
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® XP SP2 or Vista
Processor: 3.0 GHz or faster
Memory: 1 GB RAM or more
Graphics: DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required. Video card must have 256 MB, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better

Is that right? The game came out over a year ago . . . and 3Ghz is faster than a typical purchased today.

Anyone played it on slower?

kennah

speculawyer said:
Graphics: DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required. Video card must have 256 MB, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better

Is that right? The game came out over a year ago . . . and 3Ghz is faster than a typical purchased today.

I'm pretty sure that refers to a non-dual core CPU. But it was pretty hardware intensive when it came out.

speculawyer said:

That means a 3ghz P4. which even a 1.66ghz Core 2 based CPU will utterly obliterate.

neoism

domlolz said:
I gave in and also bought Mass Effect. Ach.
I know Bioware are great developers, but I haven't had much luck with their games, everyone I've bought has been buggy as fuck, and I'm really disappointed in no 360PCpad support, but o'well for $5 it's great!, wish it would download faster!!!

nubbe

speculawyer said:

I played it on a SU7300 @ 1,7GHz and that works
So I'd guess 3GHz refers to a Pentium 4 class CPU

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why is steam, the actual application, such a piece of shit? God damn valve, make your software better.

So do we know for certain that january 3rd is the last day of sales?

Max

I am not Max
evlcookie said:
Why is steam, the actual application, such a piece of shit? God damn valve, make your software better.

States that on the top of the page, sadly yes

Smash88

Banned
brain_stew said:
That means a 3ghz P4. which even a 1.66ghz Core 2 based CPU will utterly obliterate.

Not necessarily; many of you are giving false info. No offense.

Sure it says 3GHZ, which would be identifying a P4. But a Core2Duo with a slow speed such as 1.66ghz and low l1 and l2 cache does not help. Sure newer cpu's are faster and better, but only to an extent. I'm sure any processor that is 2.0ghz and above should be fine (core2duo or core2quad - i7 is a given).

And I wouldn't classify Mirror's Edge as the best port in the world either.

SuperAwesome said:
Saw all the potential problems with ME on the PC, and how the BDtS dlc can help it. But...the page to download it on bioware's website is down. Any alternatives?

The site works for me.

You sure you are going to: http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/galacticcodex/bringdownthesky_pc.html

Edit: Yup looks like you are going to the old link.

clav

Is there any advantage of owning portal @ $4.99?

Are there any expansion packs for it?

I beat it at a friend's house in one sitting, which is why I'm asking.

I still haven't bought a game from the sale. I bought TF2 for $2.50 I think a few weeks ago.

evlcookie said:

What exactly makes it a "piece of shit"?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Max said:
States that on the top of the page, sadly yes

Yea that's what i thought. Just wanted to make sure we were getting sales *ON* Jan 3rd and not jan 2nd being the actual last day with no more sales as soon as it hits midnight.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What exactly makes it a "piece of shit"?

Loves to lock up although it does come back after 5 minutes of waiting. Steam isn't known for being an amazing piece of software, It never has been.

nubbe

Smash88 said:
Not necessarily; many of you are giving false info. No offense.

Sure it says 3GHZ, which would be identifying a P4. But a Core2Duo with a slow speed such as 1.66ghz and low l1 and l2 cache does not help. Sure newer cpu's are faster and better, but only to an extent. I'm sure any processor that is 2.0ghz and above should be fine (core2duo or core2quad - i7 is a given).

And I wouldn't classify Mirror's Edge as the best port in the world either.
Modern games use new functions in the new CPUs like SSE4.1 which on its own destroys the computing power of a P4
And as games nowadays are more GPU dependent... cache is pretty insignificant.

claviertekky said:

I still haven't bought a game from the sale. I bought TF2 for $2.50 I think a few weeks ago.
User made maps or something I guess, also would mean you own the Source engine for other game total conversion mods.

Parham

Banned
claviertekky said:

There is an unofficial expansion called The Flash Version Mappack. It includes maps from the fan-made flash game. In total, the map pack adds 40 new maps and bonus levels.

Javaman

Ripclawe said:
Well I got 7% since noon today. :p

Try double clicking on the game like you are trying to launch it. It'll pop up a "ready to play in:" window and sometimes it kickstarts the DL speed.

evlcookie said:
Yea that's what i thought. Just wanted to make sure we were getting sales *ON* Jan 3rd and not jan 2nd being the actual last day with no more sales as soon as it hits midnight.

It's never ended at midnight...

datamage

claviertekky said:

The satisfaction of owning and experiencing Portal.

Top Bottom