• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

confused

Banned
All week I've been getting 2.5 Mb/s and now all I get is 200-300k ?

Would everybody please log off Steam before we kill it ? (would speed up my DL, too)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's never ended at midnight...

As an aussie it ends at about 3 or 4am. But hopefully it will say "last day" on the home page. So i know right then and there to go through the spreadsheet and grab what i need.

Javaman

evlcookie said:
Yea that's what i thought. Just wanted to make sure we were getting sales *ON* Jan 3rd and not jan 2nd being the actual last day with no more sales as soon as it hits midnight.

Loves to lock up although it does come back after 5 minutes of waiting. Steam isn't known for being an amazing piece of software, It never has been.

It says through the 3rd on the main screen, so I would assume you'll be ok if you buy before midnight going into the 4th.

Smash88

Banned
nubbe said:
Modern games use new functions in the new CPUs like SSE4.1 which on its own destroys the computing power of a P4
And as games nowadays are more GPU dependent... cache is pretty insignificant.

True, but my main point was, that speed is a big factor. Having SSE3,4,4.1 only can do so much with a fast CPU.

And cache is a big part of the CPU, very significant if you ask me.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What exactly makes it a "piece of shit"?
The interface is not exactly very elegant.

And they really need better system for people to organize games . . . after a sale like this you may end up with a ton of games and only having categores of favorites, installed, and uninstalled is not enough.

And why can't my hidden Windows Start bar show up on top of the steam app? Behave steam, behave!

There are a few gems I want to grab on the 2nd/3rd before the offers end but I not actually brought anything from the daily sales, would have probably grabbed crysis bundle but I was afk, already own sf4 and shattered horizon so I can skip those. I also saw red faction for cheap in a store so didn't buy it on steam (or from the store for that matter), didn't grab gta4 too due to stuff I heard about the pc port and already owning saints row 2 on my 360.

All I really want from the doom pack is DooM 3 so I might just buy that seperate for £4, and pick up toca race driver 3 for £3 too.

mandiller

Damn you steam! You're taking all my money. I just picked up Mass Effect and the Sam & Max Collection.

Now my purchases from this sale are:

Mass Effect
Sam & Max Collection
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Osmos
Defense Grid: The Awakening
The Dig
Half Life: Source
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Abe's Oddysee
Abe's Exodus
Bioshock
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Lkr

GODDAMN YOU STEAM! I DON'T HAVE MONEY AND I CAN'T CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD! WHY MUST YOU NOW PUT MASS EFFECT ON SALE?!?!?!?!

that is all

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
confused said:
All week I've been getting 2.5 Mb/s and now all I get is 200-300k ?

Would everybody please log off Steam before we kill it ? (would speed up my DL, too)
Best place for me by far has been Washington D.C server.

Has GTAVI already had a daily deal? Also, is it safe buying these games second hand? Considering the install limits and stuff (i'm not very knowledgeable)

Smash88

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a last day all daily deals are back on sale. That would make Steam blowup. :lol

GTA IV was already a daily deal.

But I didn't know GTA VI (7) was out. Just kidding. :D

kennah said:
I hear there is a contest you can enter to win it in this very thread!

Shhhhh, I like the chances I have. :lol

Which is barely...:lol - Some good entries in there.

Super Edit: Noooooooooooo!

confused

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:
The game is still a steal at $10

I know, and I will buy on the last day of the sale. Just hoping for an even bigger steal

Dance In My Blood said:
Best place for me by far has been Washington D.C server.

I'm from Europe, I don't think that'll help much. Jumed up to 1.7Mb/s now, so it's all good.

Smash88 said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a last day all daily deals are back on sale. That would make Steam blowup. :lol

That's pretty much what I was hoping for. Would pick up Burnout, GTA, torchlight and Crysis in a heartbeat

kennah

Lkr said:
GODDAMN YOU STEAM! I DON'T HAVE MONEY AND I CAN'T CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD! WHY MUST YOU NOW PUT MASS EFFECT ON SALE?!?!?!?!

that is all
I hear there is a contest you can enter to win it in this very thread!

confused

Banned
Messypandas said:
Has GTAVI already had a daily deal? Also, is it safe buying these games second hand? Considering the install limits and stuff (i'm not very knowledgeable)

7.49 first day of the sale.

kennah

kennah said:
Would anyone object to A NEW CONTEST!?

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

Photoshop, Paint, or whatever MR. T. into a scene from MASS EFFECT.

Games will be given out to the following categories

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Please only one entry per poster. Winner will be chosen by 12:30PST tonight, will post and PM.

Have fun!
Entries have started from page 69 on. (Real men use 100posts per page)

Smash88 said:
True, but my main point was, that speed is a big factor. Having SSE3,4,4.1 only can do so much with a fast CPU.

And cache is a big part of the CPU, very significant if you ask me.

Eh, not really, as long as you have "enough", the effects are minimal. Certain circumstances will see big improvements, but the gap between the 2MB L2 cache Pentiums and the 6MB L2 cache Core 2s is usually between 5-10% at the same core/FSB/memory clocks in most applications, including games.

Messypandas said:

Buying PC games second hand is very hit and miss, Steamworks and Securom titles for instance may flat out not work. I'd only recommend it for older titles and only then if they aren't available on gog.com.

Smash88

Banned
brain_stew said:
Eh, not really, as long as you have "enough", the effects are minimal. Certain circumstances will see big improvements, but the gap between the 2MB L2 cache Pentiums and the 6MB L2 cache Core 2s is usually between 5-10% at the same core/FSB/memory clocks in most applications, including games.

Well the higher the cache the better it communicates with your memory, processing certain things faster, of course again, speed is one of the most important (if not the most important).

Especially if you have PhysX in Mirror's Edge enabled, if not I wouldn't be worried, and me posting my opinions don't matter. :lol

confused

Banned
Still have a Team Fortress 2 guest pass up for free. Please GAF, don't let it expire without being used.

Surely there has to be someone on here that doesn't have TF2 yet.

Truespeed

My new entry. I gave Mr. T a videogame makeover to make him fit in.

ju8kg4.jpg

So is there track overlap between Trials 2: SE and Trials HD? I enjoyed HD on the 360 and I'd love to pick up Trails 2 if it has new tracks. But if it's mostly the same tracks I'll just save my money.

Have any of you used the spell heal all in torchlight? For some reason, every once in a while it doesn't heal everyone and usually causes me to die. Is there a failure rate or something I don't know about? I know it won't heal people if they're too far away but sometimes it won't heal me but it will heal my pets and minions. Anyone know why it's doing this? It's really starting to annoy me.

Stitch

Gold Member
how long does it take to get the activation mail from bioware?

oh looks like i don't even need it to get the DLC key

kennah

Visualante said:
I haven't had to read a fucking manual, as you put it for years. Also fuck I am so downloading someone else's save after they make it to the citadel.
So, you're going to complain that the game isn't giving you the information needed to play it when it's giving you the information needed to play it? When did it become uncool to read the manual when you don't know how to do something? That's what it is for!

shadowlink said:
is... is that an entry?

Delerat

Neo Member
Hm, already own everything except Mass Effect and the Sam & Max pack, but the Telltale Everything Pack is still a better deal for me.

Iffy if I should get Mass Effect. Never played it, but I have it for 360. All depends on if I'm getting ME2 for 360 or PC I guess. I know it's a Bioware game, but how long is it typically? Wondering if I'd have time to play through it twice.

Twig

Banned
speculawyer said:
The interface is not exactly very elegant.

And they really need better system for people to organize games . . . after a sale like this you may end up with a ton of games and only having categores of favorites, installed, and uninstalled is not enough.

And why can't my hidden Windows Start bar show up on top of the steam app? Behave steam, behave!
Technically you have four categories.

Installed. Not installed. Favorites. Favorites not installed.

not that this is at all useful

Parham

Banned
Delerat said:
Hm, already own everything except Mass Effect and the Sam & Max pack, but the Telltale Everything Pack is still a better deal for me.

Iffy if I should get Mass Effect. Never played it, but I have it for 360. All depends on if I'm getting ME2 for 360 or PC I guess. I know it's a Bioware game, but how long is it typically? Wondering if I'd have time to play through it twice.

Single player can take you anywhere from twelve to sixty hours, depending on how much time you spend doing side quests.

Smash88 said:
Well the higher the cache the better it communicates with your memory, processing certain things faster, of course again, speed is one of the most important (if not the most important).

Especially if you have PhysX in Mirror's Edge enabled, if not I wouldn't be worried, and me posting my opinions don't matter. :lol

Hardware PhysX offloads the physics work to your GPU, you sure as hell aint going to be CPU limited once you start doing that, so CPU speed (within reason) is pretty irrelevant.

Its true that it attempts to use your CPU if you have an ATI card, but its purposefully broken and will never be playable so performance doesn't really matter.

kennah said:
So, you're going to complain that the game isn't giving you the information needed to play it when it's giving you the information needed to play it? When did it become uncool to read the manual when you don't know how to do something? That's what it is for!
Because it became more cool some years ago for game designers to teach me how to play in the game.

That was an entry which took me a minute to do but I just reread the rules. Does that count if I replace Shepard with Mr. T Kennah?

Smash88

Banned
Alright since I'm almost done. I found a great server to use. Africa...yes I said Africa.

The cradle of civilization! :lol

For some reason even the one in my city, and New York, give me 100kb/s. Africa is giving me close to 1MB/S.

kennah

Shadowlink said:
That was an entry which took me a minute to do but I just reread the rules. Does that count if I replace Shepard with Mr. T Kennah?
I don't even know man... I don't even know.

Top Bottom