• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

kennah

Smash88 said:
Alright since I'm almost done. I found a great server to use. Africa...yes I said Africa.

The cradle of civilization! :lol

For some reason even the one in my city, and New York, give me 100kb/s. Africa is giving me close to 1MB/S.
Are you downloading FarCry? Maybe that's it.

Dambrosi

Banned
...hoKAAAAAAAAAAAAY, today was a good day :lol

So far on Dambrosi's PC Master Race Daily Deal Bargain Hunt:

STALKER
TGP/BTDT Bundle
Sniper Elite
Lumines w/Advanced Pack
Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete
Bioshock
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Street Fighter 4 Definitive Edition
and today, Portal and...wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt...MASS EFFECT!!!! Both for less than seven quid!!!! *does cartwheels around room, then does drunken dad dance*

Now all that's left is for The Witcher to drop below a fiver, and I'm set!

I might still get Titan Quest Gold if it goes on a daily deal, or if Witcher doesn't. But you know what I really want to see? A Diablo Complete pack, with both D1 and D2 and all their various expansions, all patched up for XP, on a daily deal for around £7. I'd buy that in a fucking heartbeat. Who's with me!?!

Mr. B

Damnit, double dipped on Mass Effect. Can you Run It? says my comps specs exceeds the recommended. Hopefully I don't get boned.

confused

Banned
YES !! After 6 hours of downloading Mass effect is finally finished. Let's see how it runs.

Edit : Why does Steam install Direct X for every game ?

Smash88

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
Just got red snow during the ME character creator. Card problems at this point, I'm assuming.

Probably your card overheating, try raising the fan if you haven't, if you already did turn up the fan, then it might be artifacting due to another episode where it overheated, which damaged the card.

kennah said:
Are you downloading FarCry? Maybe that's it.

:lol :lol :lol

Nice. Nah, Mass Effect.

confused said:
YES !! After 6 hours of downloading Mass effect is finally finished. Let's see how it runs.

Don't forget to pick up the free DLC if you haven't.

Dambrosi said:
...hoKAAAAAAAAAAAAY, today was a good day :lol

So far on Dambrosi's PC Master Race Daily Deal Bargain Hunt:

STALKER
TGP/BTDT Bundle
Sniper Elite
Lumines w/Advanced Pack
Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete
Bioshock
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Street Fighter 4 Definitive Edition
and today, Portal and...wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt...MASS EFFECT!!!! Both for less than seven quid!!!! *does cartwheels around room, then does drunken dad dance*

Now all that's left is for The Witcher to drop below a fiver, and I'm set!

I might still get Titan Quest Gold if it goes on a daily deal, or if Witcher doesn't. But you know what I really want to see? A Diablo Complete pack, with both D1 and D2 and all their various expansions, all patched up for XP, on a daily deal for around £7. I'd buy that in a fucking heartbeat. Who's with me!?!

Why pick something that isn't ever going to happen. That's not even remotely reasonable...

Smash88 said:
Probably your card overheating, try raising the fan if you haven't, if you already did turn up the fan, then it might be artifacting due to another episode where it overheated, which damaged the card.

It's probably been damaged, I used to have these issues all the time when I had the video card in a different PC. I can hold out, though.

Trying the fan turnup right now though.

kennah said:
Not a waste at all, I got a new Avatar!
Nice! Guess it wasn't a waste. I just used paint to copy and paste a Shepard head. :lol

Anyways, here's my new entry?

acrdph.jpg

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
that eidos pack seems like a good deal but then again its a bunch of shit I would most likely never play and then AA at full price.

Dambrosi

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why pick something that isn't ever going to happen. That's not even remotely reasonable...
And what, exactly, about the Daily Deals we've had up to now has been "even remotely reasonable"?

Like Mass Effect for £3.25. Gods, I almost feel like I stole it for that price :lol

I say, if you're gonna dream, then dream big!

Minsc

Gold Member
That Crysis Mster Config (set to the better visuals cfg) made the game look pretty sweet, the bloom is nuts now. My only complaint is the clouds in the intro were really impressive when I saw it w/ vanilla very high options, and with this mster config, they look like crap now! Oh well, I won't be seeing too many clouds from down on the ground.

Firestorm

Dambrosi said:
And what, exactly, about the Daily Deals we've had up to now has been "even remotely reasonable"?

Like Mass Effect for £3.25. Gods, I almost feel like I stole it for that price :lol

It's 75% off so definitely possible =P The Witcher is $40 regularly I believe. 75% off takes it to $10. I doubt they'll go 80% - 90% off a large title.

confused

Banned
Ok, just put Mass Effect through a test spin. First off, no 1920x1080 ? for the rest it runs pretty smooth on all high.

So why does steam install Direct X for every single game ?

Firestorm said:
It's 75% off so definitely possible =P The Witcher is $40 regularly I believe. 75% off takes it to $10. I doubt they'll go 80% - 90% off a large title.

Witcher is 66% off at the moment. 75% off would knock it under 10 and is totally possible

Wallach

Dambrosi said:

You might notice that there are no Blizzard products on Steam. At all. There is a reason for this... :lol

Dambrosi said:

Well the fact that Blizzard sell all their titles exclusively through their own DD platform might have something to do with it.

Wallach

confused said:
Ok, just put Mass Effect through a test spin. First off, no 1920x1080 ? for the rest it runs pretty smooth on all high.

It runs the installer to check if you have the latest version. Just a precaution for them to cut down on customer service on their end from people that might try to play games with old versions of it.

Dambrosi said:

Umm, they've been in the normal discount range and are games steam actually sells? Are you serious?

confused said:

Witcher is 66% off at the moment. 75% off would knock it under 10 and is totally possible

Definitely supports 1080p, you run the little config app first? Just alter the config file if worst comes to worst.

confused

Banned
Wallach said:
It runs the installer to check if you have the latest version. Just a precaution for them to cut down on customer service on their end from people that might try to play games with old versions of it.

Couldn't it just do it once and remember what version of DX I have ?

Dambrosi

Banned
Firestorm said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl says "Привет".

Brain Stew said:
Well the fact that Blizzard sell all their titles exclusively through their own DD platform might have something to do with it.
Ah, I see. Well, that's a definite answer, at least :lol A pity, though.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dambrosi said:

The starcraft battle chest dropped to 19.99 last year.

Wallach

confused said:
Couldn't it just do it once and remember what version of DX I have ?

Like I said, it's precautionary. People do all kinds of stupid shit, like randomly uninstalling things. Safest way to proceed is to just run the installer and have that check the current version, so they do that.

confused

Banned
brain_stew said:
Definitely supports 1080p, you run the little config app first? Just alter the config file if worst comes to worst.

In-game, the highest res option is 1280 x 1024. Could it be that higher resolutions are added in the DLC ?

Aaaaand my PC just crashed w/ fan set to 90%. Is it possible to get a refund with all these issues? Edit: Not worth a refund when I paid 5 dollars, but the problems are just depressing.

Also, I installed patch 1.02 and still have that bloom issue.

Artifact crash again.

Wallach

confused said:
In-game, the highest res option is 1280 x 1024. Could it be that higher resolutions are added in the DLC ?

I run Mass Effect at 1920 x 1080 so it's definitely an option in the game. I do not have any DLC. Are you scrolling farther down in the resolution drop-down box?

Dambrosi

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Stalker has been an old cheap title for a while, witcher has not. That's like saying osmos proves his theory wrong.
As has been stated already, The Witcher is "only" (cough) 66% off. Still plenty of room for further reductions :D

confused

Banned
Wallach said:
I run Mass Effect at 1920 x 1080 so it's definitely an option in the game. I do not have any DLC. Are you scrolling farther down in the resolution drop-down box?

Thanks, didn't see the arrow next to the drop-dwn box. I R dumb confirmed

TheOneGuy said:
Technically you have four categories.

Installed. Not installed. Favorites. Favorites not installed.

not that this is at all useful
Actually, that would be kinda helpful (I could line up games I want to play soon) . . . but it isn't true. I just tried it. Favorites not installed just go in the Favorites category. So it is just 3. :-/

bengraven

NeoUltima said:
Servers too busy to install my new games :|

Same happened to me. I am planning on just buying the games and installing them after the sale is over in some cases.

For example, it took me almost a week to download Overlord and SFIV is taking forever: frozen at 20% for the last few hours, my wife tells me.

Reposting the copy cat contest:

kennah said:
Would anyone object to A NEW CONTEST!?

There is nothing I want today, and I'm bored so to celebrate Mass Effect's release, I will gift THREE copies of it (or other 4.99 game) to the winners of this contest

Photoshop, Paint, or whatever MR. T. into a scene from MASS EFFECT.

Games will be given out to the following categories

1. Funniest
2. Best Art
3. Random Draw

Yes a random draw! Anyone can have a shot at winning this! Deadline is MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT so that there is time to pick and award.

Please only one entry per poster. Winner will be chosen by 12:30PST tonight, will post and PM.

Have fun!

Love . . . OK, I'll be a Copy Cat.

Another contest . . . Same rules as a above but only for putting Homer in a scene from Half-Life or any Half-Life 2 episode. This is for only a single copy of Half-Life 2 (Just the single main HL2 game).

No entries yet. :-( I guess everyone has Half-Life 2 already.

Stitch

Gold Member
NeoUltima said:
Servers too busy to install my new games :|
you need to change your download region in the steam settings
australia vic - gamespace is alright so far. not the fastest but better than nothing.

Top Bottom