• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

bengraven

speculawyer said:
Reposting the copy cat contest:

Love . . . OK, I'll be a Copy Cat.

Another contest . . . Same rules as a above but only for putting Homer in a scene from Half-Life or any Half-Life 2 episode. This is for only a single copy of Half-Life 2 (Just the single main HL2 game).

No entries yet. :-( I guess everyone has Half-Life 2 already.

That's not a bad thing! People have one of the best games of all time.

Kodiak said:
that eidos pack seems like a good deal but then again its a bunch of shit I would most likely never play and then AA at full price.
Its not a bunch of shit.

The great Deus Ex. (Although it is a bit old.)

Two very good Tomb Raider games.

Three good Hitman games.

Thief: Deadly Shadows has rating of 85/100.

The Battlestation games are decent.

And I want to try Shellshock because I want to see how bad it is to get a 40/100. :lol Is is the lowest rated game in my collection of the games that have listings.

Dambrosi

Banned
Firestorm said:
the one that has been on sale for $5 on steam and retail multiple times? =p
Yeah, that one. =P

Don't give me grief, I'm new to all this Steam malarky. This is actually my first time buying from Steam. I think I've converted to the DD cause
though DD on consoles still sucks and will never replace retail

lolmark

speculawyer said:
Its not a bunch of shit.

Three good Hitman games.

And I want to try Shellshock because I want to see how bad it is to get a 40/100. :lol Is is the lowest rated game in my collection of the games that have listings.
Also, has Batman :D

and Kane and Lynch, which I think is worth trying. Serious!

Alucrid

Banned
I started ME and it looked like shit. So I maxed all the settings and it STILL looked like shit. Turns out you have to restart the game until it looks good. :lol

I could use a frame rate boost though, which settings are least necessary for the game to look good that I can turn down?

Dambrosi said:
No, but 70-75% isn't out of the question, which would take it below a fiver, which would cause me to buy it like the MF'ing Fist Of The North Star.

Which wasn't what you were arguing.... My head hurts.
speculawyer said:
Its not a bunch of shit.

Three good Hitman games.

Thief is pretty fun. I played it on xbox and wouldn't mind playing it again on pc.

kennah

Shadowlink said:
What's the difference between Trials 2 and Trials HD?
One has motorbikes, the other has motorbikes.

The difference, as has been stated in this thread seventeen times, is that Trials HD is basically Trials 3.

Blizzard

Banned
Surveying the damage so far, here are the games I apparently got (that I will probably never play :p):

Defense Grid
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Deus Ex: GOTY Edition
Jade Empire (gifted, before it went on sale I think, haha)
Sniper Elite
Mr. Robot
Max Payne 1 and 2 pack
Shattered Horizon
Mass Effect

I also still should probably get Sands of Time for $5 considering otherwise I'd have to dig out my disk and there'd be the disk check etc.

kennah said:
One has motorbikes, the other has motorbikes.

The difference, as has been stated in this thread seventeen times, is that Trials HD is basically Trials 3.
Oh! I rarely went on this thread so I didn't know it was stated. :(

I thought Trials HD was pretty much the PC version but for consoles. I wonder what Steam has in store for the last day of the sale.

Wallach

I think the proper way to end this sale is, when the 3rd rolls around (just happens to be my birthday COUGH), every game that has been in the daily deals should go back on sale for one final mega daily deal.

Dambrosi

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Which wasn't what you were arguing.... My head hurts.
Your head must hurt, because what I was arguing was, and I quote:

Dambrosi said:
Now all that's left is for The Witcher to drop below a fiver, and I'm set!
A 75% daily deal would put the price at £5.75, would it not? That's plenty good enough for me. Of course, more % would be better, but since this is only speculation, well...:D

Either way, now looking forward to tomorrow's deals.

F'n A!

I thought I would stop with just the Crysis collection set and Half-Life: Source yesterday, but then today I get the Doom collection, Mass Effect, and Stalker: Clear Sky all for like $24. I'm building an big of a backlog with my steam account, and I already got a bad enough backlog with my physical games.

You're killing me steam, you're killin' ME!!

I'd like some Ubisoft special deals:
WW2 Collection for 75% would be nice
Rainbow Six for 75% would be nice

What I expect to see:
Counter-Strike Source
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Spore
Freedom Force

bengraven

speculawyer said:
If you missed it yesterday, Buy Medieval II: Total War™ is still $4.99 today.

I've been debating on this for a long time.

I don't play RTSs, I'm not a fan at all, but I could use a gateway drug and this might be a nice start.

Dambrosi said:

A 75% daily deal would put the price at £5.75, would it not? That's plenty good enough for me. Of course, more % would be better, but since this is only speculation, well...:D

First off 5.75 isn't less than five and no you were arguing other things too. I give up, it's not that important.

Ecto311

CoH for $5 would be nice. I snatched it up for that price from D2D and its a bastard to get running right on my computer for some reason. Plus I like having all my shit on steam.

Quixzlizx

bengraven said:
I've been debating on this for a long time.

I don't play RTSs, I'm not a fan at all, but I could use a gateway drug and this might be a nice start.

While the actual fighting is in real-time, it doesn't play like an RTS at all. The campaign map is just like any other TBS, and the fights develop really slowly. There is very little micromanagement, and there is nothing like resource management or recruitment during a battle. I love TBS games and hate most RTS games, and the Total War franchise is one of my favorites.

Truespeed

eqsdqc.jpg

sy30ox.jpg

Dambrosi said:

I don't know what £5.75 in funny money is in real money, but if the Witcher were to get a 75% sale it would be $10 in real american money. It's 40$ before the percentage and $40 minus 75% is $10. It sounds like you think that if they had a 75% off sale that it would be 75% off of the $13.59 price. No. It would be 75% from the original un-discounted price.

I'm just ball parking here but I think right now it is already 70% off. You are not going to get a 75% discount off of that price.

bengraven

Quixzlizx said:
While the actual fighting is in real-time, it doesn't play like an RTS at all. The campaign map is just like any other TBS, and the fights develop really slowly. There is very little micromanagement, and there is nothing like resource management or recruitment during a battle. I love TBS games and hate most RTS games, and the Total War franchise is one of my favorites.

That might be right up my alley then. I prefer turn-based like Civ. I like to sit back and enjoy what I'm creating instead of being rushed to BUILD MINES CHOP DOWN TREES YOUR OPPONENT HAS NUKES AND YOU HAVE CAVEMEN, MOVE MOTHERFUCKER MOVE!

Dunlop

does anyone know where the Crysis exe is located when installed via steam?

My install crashed right after the gamepro crap was installed, I do not have a shortcut to run the game but it works fine when I launch through steam.

I just want to put a shortcut on my desktop and cannot find anything via search on my PC

bengraven

Dunlop said:

My install crashed right after the gamepro crap was installed, I do not have a shortcut to run the game but it works fine when I launch through steam.

I just want to put a shortcut on my desktop and cannot find anything via search on my PC

I had the same issue with some games.

Go to Programs -> Steam -> Steamapps

Dunlop said:

Right-click on it in your games list within Steam and there's an option to create a desktop shortcut.

vocab

azentium said:
If you're having a hard time deciding, try out the free episode.

Don't. References previous episodes, has game play mechanics that were explained in the previous episode. You will feel lost. I played it, and ended up hating it. But once I bought season 1 I liked it a lot better, and it made me buy the second season right away.

So I fired up Crysis for the first time. Much to my dismay, the game crashes whenever I try to do pretty much ANYTHING. I can't change any options or make a new profile without "lol Crysis stopped working."

Anyone know what could be the problem? I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM with a Q6600-G0 @ 3.4GHz, ATi Radeon HD4850, 4GB RAM, AVG, and up-to-date DirectX.

I read about issues with AVG resident shield, Windows 7 permissions and security, etc. I dido everything recommended to resolve those issues (including changing permission & compatibility) short of creating a new non-W7 partition like a couple people suggested. That seems a bit ridiculous for resolving this issue.

Parham

Banned
vocab said:
Don't. References previous episodes, has game play mechanics that were explained in the previous episode. You will feel lost. I played it, and ended up hating it. But once I bought season 1 I liked it a lot better, and it made me buy the second season right away.

Despite that episode being the first Sam and Max game I ever played, I enjoyed it a lot.

Edit: Then again, I did have to refer to a walkthrough a couple of times. So maybe you are right.

Twig

Banned
Anyone know why my 4 sticks of 1GB RAM would add up to 3GB of RAM in 64-bit Win7? I'm aware of the ancient limitations of 32-bit Windows, but this ain't 32-bit.

TheOneGuy said:
Anyone know why my 4 sticks of 1GB RAM would add up to 3GB of RAM in 64-bit Win7? I'm aware of the ancient limitations of 32-bit Windows, but this ain't 32-bit.
Is the memory shared with the video system?

Loxley

I'm yearning for Borderlands to be in one of the two remaining deals of the day, because that would totally push me into buying the PC version over the console version.

Top Bottom